CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I know we had this discussion about cell phones for 12-yr olds, but it is sounding as though Kayleah had a degree of freedom of movement and for a child that is allowed to walk around alone, I think they absolutely need one. there would have been all kinds of pings and trackings by now and LE would have much more info, if not have this resolved. I think they don't get many cases nowadays where they can't rely to some extent on cell records and it kinds of ties their hands...at one point it was said they were checking all of the places she liked to go, which makes me think she went off on her own to these places without an adult...had lots of freedom. That's fine I guess as long as you can contact her...

From the Greeley Tribune

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100415/NEWS/100419781/1051&ParentProfile=1001

Hoping to attract more tips, the FBI today announced a doubling of the reward for information in the Kayleah Wilson case, and also gave hints about the behavior of a possible abductor.

Asking people in Greeley to be alert, because if Kayleah was abducted, the person who would have taken her could live in or around Greeley.

I don't recall this type of language in the other pressers...does this mean they are now looking at this as a possible abduction?
I have goosebumps...
Kayleah, we are praying for you.

so basically they said nothing new in the presser?

You know I know we had this discussion about cell phones for 12-yr olds, but it is sounding as though Kayleah had a degree of freedom of movement and for a child that is allowed to walk around alone, I think they absolutely need one. there would have been all kinds of pings and trackings by now and LE would have much more info, if not have this resolved. I think they don't get many cases nowadays where they can't rely to some extent on cell records and it kinds of ties their hands...at one point it was said they were checking all of the places she liked to go, which makes me think she went off on her own to these places without an adult...had lots of freedom. That's fine I guess as long as you can contact her...

I do not think all parents can afford a cell phone. Some do not know that you can call 911 from a cell even if you can't do anything else with it. I agree a cell helps to a point but it still doesn't solve a lot of crimes. Some are the Amber Dubois case where I believe the perp had her phone and tried to call her voicemail, throwing LE off. And the Al Kite case where the perp took his own cell phone and deliberately left it near a homeless camp. Le chased that phone all over Denver only to find out a homeless person had found it. Even if a cell does not always help it does give LE one more thing to help. I find this quote sums it up best. It pertains to the Chelsea King case.

DuBois, like King, had a cell phone but only had a second to use it the day she disappeared, then nothing. And while technology allowed police to eventually find King’s car and her cell phone, the “ping” from DuBois’ phone only gave police a location several miles in radius.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=37694

http://www.livesecure.org/san-diego...tered-sex-offender-held-for-her-death-update/

so basically they said nothing new in the presser?
I thought there was a lot of new info... basically they are doing the "lookout for a perp" thing but it is a day late and a dollar short!

I feel like I am caught back in the start of Lindsay Baum's case! So frustrating!

I hope the media continues to cover her case.

The FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit gave out several tips about what to watch for:

Asking people in Greeley to be alert, because if Kayleah was abducted, the person who would have taken her could live in or around Greeley.

•People who have missed work, called in sick, or asked to change shifts, particularly on days close to when the girl went missing.

• People with unexplained recent injuries, such as cuts or bruises on the head, hands, or arms.

• An unexpected or sudden interest in the status of the investigation, paying very close attention to the media or avoiding conversations or activities related to the case.

• Shaving of facial or head hair, or growing a mustache or beard.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100415/NEWS/100419781/1051&ParentProfile=1001

i understand the whole cellphone argument, pro and con...just think that a young girl who does have freedom to walk around town should have one anyway these days...sad state of affairs but they are good to have when alone...not saying it would solve this crime but might tell who she had sppoken with lately...

Hopefully someone will have noticed something and come forward. **Afraid for this little girl, but still praying.**

I thought there was a lot of new info... basically they are doing the "lookout for a perp" thing but it is a day late and a dollar short!

Thought so too..especailly, compared to the previous press updates..there were questions from the media, one specifically about her inhaler and asthma situation, relevant or not. It also seemed that there was more of an urgency. Wishing there was a link to the video (or next time I need to take better notes):banghead:

i understand the whole cellphone argument, pro and con...just think that a young girl who does have freedom to walk around town should have one anyway these days...sad state of affairs but they are good to have when alone...not saying it would solve this crime but might tell who she had sppoken with lately...

I know what you mean. I grew up without one, but I will not let my daughter go anywhere without her cell. Sad that it is like this now.

The person also is likely to live in the Greeley community and has ties to the area around the Greeley Mall, the FBI said.

However, Davis said, he would be suprised if the person who may be holding Kayleah would still be in Greeley. "We have scoured the area pretty well," he said.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14891855

question to LE if you are reading here: have you searched the trash?????

Personally and previously, would not let my kiddos have cell phones until age 15, now I will be looking into a inexpensive pay as you go phone for my 12yr old daughter. No pictures, no text, but a cheap phone for "just in case". If there was an application for "On Star" for kids, I would be first to sign up.

The case is still very much an active case," Greeley Police Chief Jerry Garner said. "There's still a lot we don't know."

Garner says they are interviewing and re-interviewing witnesses.

Davis says they are not getting as many leads in the case as they want.

"We're certainly not getting the leads that are going to break this thing open for us," Davis said.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=136925&catid=339

I know what you mean. I grew up without one, but I will not let my daughter go anywhere without her cell. Sad that it is like this now.

Same. Every time my daughter goes out with friends, my first question is, "do you have your cell phone?" Totally different from when I was a kid and my mom didn't even know where I was unless it was mealtime. I left in the morning, came back for lunch, and then had to be home by 6:00 when my dad got home. The neighbor kids just all hung out....it was a better world then, IMO.

Quotes from todays presser:

"While not eliminating the possibility Kayleah decided to leave her home and family on her own free will, police are "definitely leaning that this is not a runaway situation," Garner said. "This is something more serious.""

"To that end, the FBI's Behavorial Analysis Unit produced some psychological indicators that might point to the person responsible for Kayleah's disappearance."The person also is likely to live in the Greeley community and has ties to the area around the Greeley Mall, the FBI said.

"However, Davis said, he would be suprised if the person who may be holding Kayleah would still be in Greeley. "We have scoured the area pretty well," he said."

It would be nice if the national news picked this up. She is out there somewhere...

Quotes from todays presser:

"While not eliminating the possibility Kayleah decided to leave her home and family on her own free will, police are "definitely leaning that this is not a runaway situation," Garner said. "This is something more serious.""

"To that end, the FBI's Behavorial Analysis Unit produced some psychological indicators that might point to the person responsible for Kayleah's disappearance."The person also is likely to live in the Greeley community and has ties to the area around the Greeley Mall, the FBI said.

"However, Davis said, he would be suprised if the person who may be holding Kayleah would still be in Greeley. "We have scoured the area pretty well," he said."

It would be nice if the national news picked this up. She is out there somewhere...

Of course Garrido hid in plain sight right under everyone's noses.....

This poor child, IMO I don't think she ran away. Its been to long. I have a 12 yr old daughter and honestly,I just can't see this. As for the cell phones, my DD wanted a cell phone since she was 9. I did finally get her one at 11. She was going to friends houses, friends that I didn't know the parents as well as I would like, she was showing her freedom and didn't want MOM walking her in and out etc of activities (although I still do). 1st I want to say to any parent who is thinking about getting their child a cell phone, this is not a baby sitter, it should in no way give you a sense of security that you can get ahold of your child because theres a phone involved, many times, they're so busy they don't hear it. For me, it was giving her the ability to talk to me without asking to use someones phone, if she EVER felt uncomfortable she had the ablity to get ahold of me. She was spending the night at friends houses and felt nervous she could call me without disturbing anyone etc etc. It is an expense, no doubt. On the down side, my DD will call me from the bus to tell me what she wants for a snack so I have it PREPARED when she walks in the door. lol... On the up side, I use that darn phone against her for grounding. I do the "screen grounding" works everytime.

BTW-screen grounding is "if it has a screen, you've lost it... tv,computer,I-pods, cells, video games, etc etc"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9