CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like he might be getting advice from his relatives. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being told by them not to give interviews or statements. It's not uncommon to hear LE state how rumors and SM has interfered with investigations. If he is being fully cooperative with LE it's not really any help for him to give public statement and interviews.
jmo

Right, not giving interviews is fine. But scowling and telling the press to get off your property, that's something different altogether. He could have calmly said ' no comment at this time at the advice of my attorney' without being rude and controlling.

NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt on Twitter - (Video clip of Kelsey's mother at this link)

"In the back of my mind, sure, there's a possibility that something else could've happened. But it does me no good to go down that road." @joefryer speaks with the mother of Kelsey Berreth, who's been missing since Thanksgiving, on tonight's @NBCNightlyNews.

Good point.
I think however, the handoff was at her home. I want his home and land searched. And I want to know why LE said PF siad NO to them searching.

Does anyone know why she was handing over the child? As surely thanksgiving is a day you all spend together? Curious as to why she left baby and what her supposed plans for that day were??

I know everyone wants answers to their questions from the family sooner rather than later, but I can’t help but wonder if maybe patience is the answer for now? (Not for LE, of course. For those of us wringing our hands on the sidelines for more information.)

Everyone who has lost someone close to them has probably experienced strained relationships between family members and chalked it up to “everyone grieves differently.” Losing a loved one is a common thing, but often when it happens, people still do not know how to act. People say and do weird rhings when they are grieving.

Now, imagine how any of us would act in the case if a missing loved one. Statistically, this will happen to any of us as a much lower rate. If family members don’t know how to act when they are grieving the death of a loved one, which happens often, then it seems even more likely to me that family members won’t know how to act when they are dealing with a missing loved one. How do we learn how to behave properly in a situation like this? And who decides what the proper behavior would be in a situation like this?

jmo...

Right, not giving interviews is fine. But scowling and telling the press to get off your property, that's something different altogether. He could have calmly said ' no comment at this time at the advice of my attorney' without being rude and controlling.

I agree. That type of reaction doesn’t show true concern. Seems sort of hostile IMO.

In other cases, such as the recent high-profile case in Colorado, the police issued a press release early on, sent it out to the media and basically invited the media to show up at the SO's house and start asking questions.

This case is different. Here the police did a welfare check on 12/2, didn't find anything suspicious, likely spoke to PF, called the FBI and the CBI, and never issued a press release. They acted, IMO, like it was a probably suicide or an adult who just decided to go away for awhile.

It appears from the Missing Mother facebook pages that the media became aware of the disappearance because KB's family notified them and begged them to run the story. (That is my take.) The story blew up on a slow news weekend, suddenly was picked up by national media, and the media started to call WPPD, wondering why hadn't they said anything about this, issued a press release, etc. So WPPD scheduled a press release.

Does that mean that this case is not serious? No, it does not mean that. But there are people who disappear or commit suicide every day who don't get any publicity.

When I suggested, "mother pitched a fit," (and this is clearly speculation, as I would imagine what I would do if my daughter disappeared and it didn't look like anyone was investigating) she was certainly justified in doing so, and in getting the news media to pay attention.
But... while the other high profile case WAS suspicious because the missing wife left all belongings behind (phone, purse, car, child's meds, child's car seats, etc.), KB left her car behind and no indication to anyone (that we know of) that she was distraught, suicidal, being stalked, afraid of fiance, etc. I agree that probably a ton of other cases aren't made public because they are suicides or people taking a break, but then there must be something they know to indicate that is the case... so why not state that? i.e., "We are aware KB was facing some depression or concerns over marriage and she told her fiance x, y and z" ?

I know everyone wants answers to their questions from the family sooner rather than later, but I can’t help but wonder if maybe patience is the answer for now? (Not for LE, of course. For those of us wringing our hands on the sidelines for more information.)

Everyone who has lost someone close to them has probably experienced strained relationships between family members and chalked it up to “everyone grieves differently.” Losing a loved one is a common thing, but often when it happens, people still do not know how to act. People say and do weird rhings when they are grieving.

Now, imagine how any of us would act in the case if a missing loved one. Statistically, this will happen to any of us as a much lower rate. If family members don’t know how to act when they are grieving the death of a loved one, which happens often, then it seems even more likely to me that family members won’t know how to act when they are dealing with a missing loved one. How do we learn how to behave properly in a situation like this? And who decides what the proper behavior would be in a situation like this?

jmo...
For me, I look at all the cases that have come before.

Not everyone grieves the same, or carries themselves the same way.

People are different.

Cases are different.

Circumstances are different.

Suspicious circumstances don’t necessarily mean that a crime has been committed.

Suspicious behavior doesn’t necessarily mean that a particular person is guilty of a crime.

But I’ve read this story many times before, and I sure as hell don’t feel good about the ending.

But... while the other high profile case WAS suspicious because the missing wife left all belongings behind (phone, purse, car, child's meds, child's car seats, etc.), KB left her car behind and no indication to anyone (that we know of) that she was distraught, suicidal, being stalked, afraid of fiance, etc. I agree that probably a ton of other cases aren't made public because they are suicides or people taking a break, but then there must be something they know to indicate that is the case... so why not state that? i.e., "We are aware KB was facing some depression or concerns over marriage and she told her fiance x, y and z" ?

Because if they look like they aren't taking the disappearance seriously, and it turns out they have a serial killer on the loose, then that makes them look that much worse.

Look, I think WPPD and CBI and FBI were investigating as they thought necessary, but it probably didn't look like they were doing anything from the outside, so the family had to put some pressure on. Maybe LE wasn't ready to have a press conference, they wanted to wait to determine what they had here. (We still don't know, IMO).

Here's another thing: murder is bad for business. So is suicide. Woodland Park doesn't need bad publicity. If we wonder why some have said the media is not invited to tonight's vigil, then 1) somebody is hosting a vigil so it looks like someone cares about this resident who nobody knew; but 2) don't make a show of it because we don't want Woodland Park in the spotlight any longer than necessary.

Hey, I think it took WP a long time to get over the reputation as the place the Texas 7 were captured.

JMOO

No. Her family/LE is still calling him the fiance. I have not seen anything in MSM saying they were broken up. We have speculated they might have been though. Their living arrangement and his reactions to her being missing might make more sense if they were no longer a couple.
Except her family insists they are engaged. If there was some breaking up going on, KB may not have known about it.

KB willingly allowed PF to have the baby on Thanksgiving and I assume it was for his family gathering. Either she did not want to go or was not invited but I do believe she expected him to return with the baby that night and was totally blind-sided by whatever happened.

It is too similar to the Rhoden murder when Jake Wagner had his daughter over-night the very time her mother was being murdered. It took more than two years to be able to charge Jake and his Wagner clan. That case has also been all over the news. JMO

Last edited:
It appears from the Missing Mother facebook pages that the media became aware of the disappearance because KB's family notified them and begged them to run the story. (That is my take.) The story blew up on a slow news weekend, suddenly was picked up by national media, and the media started to call WPPD, wondering why hadn't they said anything about this, issued a press release, etc. So WPPD scheduled a press release.

I wonder if PF's brother on the force provided an explanation from PF to the police suggesting not to worry, "Kelsey let me know she will be away for a while." Perhaps just passed on in good faith, although maybe not. This might be an explanation why WPPD didn't act- they didn't believe anything was wrong. A very poor explanation though.

If that is the case, the FBI would likely hear about this once being involved, since they would be asking the most obvious questions. Then they would have to be looking at other options beyond the obvious as to how the phone pinged in Idaho. Basically, accounting for the location of other persons on the 25th.

Last edited:
I can’t seem to figure out a definitive answer regarding the ping. Would it ping if it’s off? If a text message was “scheduled” wouldn’t the phone need to be on? So someone would have needed to have turned it on somewhere along the way.

I also wonder about toll roads. Are there any on that route that happen to work by capturing license plates? Of course this would only matter if someone on their radar took a vehicle belonging to them.

Does anyone know why she was handing over the child? As surely thanksgiving is a day you all spend together? Curious as to why she left baby and what her supposed plans for that day were??
This confuses me as well. Why were they not together for Thanksgiving? And if they were going to go to or have dinner together later (as her mother has reportedly said) why the hand off of the baby? Unfortunately I don't think we can totally rely on the "facts" that have reported. Some of the reporting appears to be rather sloppy

I wonder if PF's brother on the force provided an explanation from PF to the police suggesting not to worry, "Kelsey let me know she away for a while." Perhaps just passed on in good faith, although maybe not. This might be an explanation why WPPD didn't act- they didn't believe anything was wrong. A very poor explanation though.

If that is the case, the FBI would likely hear about this once being involved, since they would be asking the most obvious questions. Then they would have to be looking at other options beyond the obvious as to how the phone pinged in Idaho. Basically, accounting for the location of other persons on the 25th.
Yeah. I’m encouraged with the presence of the CBI and FBI here, just in the off chance that someone close to him was pulling some strings.

I'm not sure what KB's ultimate career goals are...did she want to remain a flight instructor or did she have aspirations of being an airline pilot? I'm in the process of getting my private pilot license, with no intention of pursuing a commercial one, but I do know that the requirements are pretty strict regarding any depression or mental health issues a person may have. Especially after a couple well-publicized pilot suicides (Germanwings was one, I think Silk Air was another?) if her family thinks she took off for a mental health break, or she was even in treatment for mental health issues, they may be hesitant to say so out of fear of hurting her future career. It's a long shot, and JMO, but it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member