CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #41 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This does remind me of something from a special I watched (discussed in other threads) about Hitmen for Hire on the Dark Web. If there’s one thing I learned from that show it’s how DESPERATE these clients were for the job to get done. They would call the hitman repeatedly, “Is it done yet? Is it done yet? I need this done now! What’s the delay?!”
i was thinking maybe during the cattle check at the farm it was cold and either KB did not want to get out of the truck with baby K or if they were outside the truck KB was holding baby K all the time. PF was unable to figure a way to get KB alone. then later at his farm SF might have watched baby K so KB could go to get medicine and the plan was to intercept KB on the way back but PF blew that one also. so by then it was PF with alot of pent-up frustration. MOO. plus i have an active imagination this afternoon.

And this was days after the murder IIRC - doesn't blood turn a darker color over time? I've cut my foot and missed droplets on my tile - it looks like dirt after a few days IMO. Not making excuses but just wondering what it looked like after all that time? maybe I will google this and see

IMO, dried blood can be dark brown, black or reddish-brown.

I can't believe you just said this! This is what my hubby just said.
Yep we can't put it past her having buddies in kahoot.
As far as I’m aware, PF is the only named defendant in this case so far... is KKL a defendant too?
Seattle, what a beautiful post! I understand completely what your concerns are and I share them all. The fact that it took KB's family to find so much of the blood evidence in the home really, really bothers me. It appears LE did no more than perform a strictly cursory check of the premises when frankly, a responsible young mother disappearing without her infant daughter should have sounded a lot of alarm bells.

PF is such a monster. I'm confident he's going away forever for what he did to Kelsey.

KK is the worst.

PF is the worst of the worst.

I don't like the way our justice system "works" sometimes.
If we're lucky, she'll violate the terms of the deal somehow and Dan can go after her, too.
Fingers crossed!
Help me out, here, because something doesn't add up. Looking at this recap of the timeline, from the arrest affidavit:

Nov. 22, 2018
1 – 4 a.m.: Investigators found that there were at least seven contacts made between Frazee and Berreth’s cell phones between these hours, including a four-minute phone call that happened around 1:42 a.m.

9 – 10 a.m.: Cell phone records show Berreth text messaged Frazee at 9:37 a.m. and that the two spoke on the phone for about 3 ½ minutes around 9:40 a.m.

12:27 p.m.: Berreth and her daughter are captured on a surveillance camera at the Safeway in Woodland Park leaving the store. Receipts from the store and her home corroborated she was there at that time.

12:31 and 12:33 p.m.: Frazee calls Berreth's cell phone in a 35-second call, and there is an incoming call from Berreth to Frazee listed as 8 seconds in length in the affidavit. The affidavit says that both of their cell phones connected to the same cell tower in Woodland Park

12:41 p.m.: A text message was exchanged between Berreth and Frazee.

12:54 – 1:17 p.m.: Frazee was captured on surveillance video at the Walmart in Woodland Park carrying a baby carrier with a blanket similar to the one seen in the Safeway footage. Investigators wrote in the affidavit that they believe their 1-year-old daughter was in the carrier at the time.

Frazee said he met with Berreth in an alleyway outside her home in Woodland Park to exchange the child just beforehand, which investigators said they believe did occur. This is the last time that Frazee reportedly saw Berreth alive, and he told investigators that while they exchanged their daughter, he returned some of her belongings, including a handgun, keys and other items – which have so far not been recovered.

1:24 p.m.: A person matching Frazee’s description is captured entering the front door of Berreth’s apartment on a neighbor’s surveillance camera – which investigators said contradicted what Frazee had told them about a timeline on that day.

Afternoon: Investigators believe this is when Frazee allegedly killed Berreth inside her apartment, then took her cell phone when he left. Investigators allege that he blindfolded Berreth and asked her to smell a scented candle, then beat her to death with a baseball bat. They say that Kenney was aware because Frazee told her about it.

Cell tower records show that Frazee’s phone was connected to the tower serving Berreth’s apartment from approximately 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. that day.

3:36 p.m.: That same neighbor’s surveillance camera again captures images of a person that matches Frazee’s description at Berreth’s home.

Kelsey Berreth case timeline: Everything we know so far

12:31-12.33 - Looks like he called Kelsey while she was at Safeway and she called him back. They're both pinging in Woodland Park so he's at or near her place.

12:41 - She texts him. Is that when she's leaving Safeway to say she's on her way home?

12:54-1:17 - He's confirmed at Walmart with baby carrier and LE assumes it contains baby K. If that assumption is correct, baby K is no longer in the house with Kelsey.

1:24 - He's back at Kelsey's

3:36 - Neighbor's cam catches him at Kelsey's (leaving???)

If he killed Kelsey between 1:24 and 3:36, he had already taken baby K out of the house. What did he do - bring her back in and put her in the playpen and then killed her mommy?
Help me out, here, because something doesn't add up. Looking at this recap of the timeline, from the arrest affidavit:

Nov. 22, 2018
1 – 4 a.m.: Investigators found that there were at least seven contacts made between Frazee and Berreth’s cell phones between these hours, including a four-minute phone call that happened around 1:42 a.m.

9 – 10 a.m.: Cell phone records show Berreth text messaged Frazee at 9:37 a.m. and that the two spoke on the phone for about 3 ½ minutes around 9:40 a.m.

12:27 p.m.: Berreth and her daughter are captured on a surveillance camera at the Safeway in Woodland Park leaving the store. Receipts from the store and her home corroborated she was there at that time.

12:31 and 12:33 p.m.: Frazee calls Berreth's cell phone in a 35-second call, and there is an incoming call from Berreth to Frazee listed as 8 seconds in length in the affidavit. The affidavit says that both of their cell phones connected to the same cell tower in Woodland Park

12:41 p.m.: A text message was exchanged between Berreth and Frazee.

12:54 – 1:17 p.m.: Frazee was captured on surveillance video at the Walmart in Woodland Park carrying a baby carrier with a blanket similar to the one seen in the Safeway footage. Investigators wrote in the affidavit that they believe their 1-year-old daughter was in the carrier at the time.

Frazee said he met with Berreth in an alleyway outside her home in Woodland Park to exchange the child just beforehand, which investigators said they believe did occur. This is the last time that Frazee reportedly saw Berreth alive, and he told investigators that while they exchanged their daughter, he returned some of her belongings, including a handgun, keys and other items – which have so far not been recovered.

1:24 p.m.: A person matching Frazee’s description is captured entering the front door of Berreth’s apartment on a neighbor’s surveillance camera – which investigators said contradicted what Frazee had told them about a timeline on that day.

Afternoon: Investigators believe this is when Frazee allegedly killed Berreth inside her apartment, then took her cell phone when he left. Investigators allege that he blindfolded Berreth and asked her to smell a scented candle, then beat her to death with a baseball bat. They say that Kenney was aware because Frazee told her about it.

Cell tower records show that Frazee’s phone was connected to the tower serving Berreth’s apartment from approximately 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. that day.

3:36 p.m.: That same neighbor’s surveillance camera again captures images of a person that matches Frazee’s description at Berreth’s home.

Kelsey Berreth case timeline: Everything we know so far

12:31-12.33 - Looks like he called Kelsey while she was at Safeway and she called him back. They're both pinging in Woodland Park so he's at or near her place.

12:41 - She texts him. Is that when she's leaving Safeway to say she's on her way home?

12:54-1:17 - He's confirmed at Walmart with baby carrier and LE assumes it contains baby K. If that assumption is correct, baby K is no longer in the house with Kelsey.

1:24 - He's back at Kelsey's

3:36 - Neighbor's cam catches him at Kelsey's (leaving???)

If he killed Kelsey between 1:24 and 3:36, he had already taken baby K out of the house. What did he do - bring her back in and put her in the playpen and then killed her mommy?
Hi Everyone, This is my first post on WS. I have been following since the Watts murders.
I was wondering if anyone has seen the photo of PF when he returned to KB place at 1:24 pm. The info says the neighbor said someone who looked like PF but shouldn't he also have been carrying the baby. The info never mentioned the baby.

i was thinking maybe during the cattle check at the farm it was cold and either KB did not want to get out of the truck with baby K or if they were outside the truck KB was holding baby K all the time. PF was unable to figure a way to get KB alone. then later at his farm SF might have watched baby K so KB could go to get medicine and the plan was to intercept KB on the way back but PF blew that one also. so by then it was PF with alot of pent-up frustration. MOO. plus active imagination this afternoon.

That's kind of how it strikes me - he had reached a point where all he could think about was killing KB. I'd like to know if KB had ever done a late night cattle check with PF before - seems an odd time to be checking your cattle, but I'm not a rancher. Was she just along for the ride or was a second person needed to 'check'?

Or was he just looking for opportunities and chickening out?

The business about him killing her in the condo was at odds with the stories he spread around. Those stories indicated a depressed woman who had threatened suicide, had a problem with drugs/alcohol (had been to rehab recently), had been working unstable hours since rehab (implication being she still wasn't well), had threatened the baby, was possibly seeing someone else, had a sick grandmother and needed time to herself to work things out.

If PF was going to pull off a story about a runaway depressed young mother who committed suicide or was abducted or wilfully disappeared, his best bet was certainly not to kill her at the condo because obviously any disappearance is going to trigger a search that starts at home.

I am on the fence. Her father says she was in ID. The friend can testify to the date she loaned her vehicle. Cellphone records will be critical as well.

Yet, it does seem like she was there. I wonder if she slipped into the house with the bat while KB was at the grocery store that morning. I've had a weird feeling about that grocery store run from the start - seems like a set up to get her out of the house.

How did the bat get into the house?

If PF tells KB to put a sweater over her eyes to guess the scent of a candle (weird), did he have the bat in his hand when he asked her to do that? Or did he tell her to sit there with a sweater on her head while he somehow got the bat? Or...was she blindfolded by one of them while the other fetched the bat?

The store, the bat, the sweater, the candle....it's all weird. Something is still missing from the story, imo. Is that missing piece KK? IDK.

jmo
The candle scent thing might seem weird, but some young women l-o-o-o-ve them. I've played a game with a little girl b4. You close your eyes and pick out your favorite scent. So for some of us it's not too far fetched.

The way I understand it is that the prosecution has the papers, and that they were seized from the ranch during the first search.

Live blog: Patrick Frazee appears in court for preliminary hearing
State asking if paperwork was seized from Frazee home regarding custody. Slater says they did find that on the first search of the property. It did pertain to Kaylee, Berreth and Frazee’s daughter. Slater says he believes the paperwork was dated August 2018, but the investigation showed no filings/court proceedings related to custody of Kaylee.

Thanks! I wasn't sure, I just recall also the document that stated it was seen that there was a December 12th paperwork that talked about that 5 people were caretakers for the baby, it had his signature , and KB was not one of them. I wasn't sure if that was also seized at that time.

But again, I think they did a couple of things Friday in the pressure and in the hearing to get it in the Press and to get it into mainstream media.

Number one about that and the legal stuff; and his mother's involvement and such

number two, I don't see any reason that they brought up dad with a phone other than to get that out into the media for some reason.

Not sure why, but they have been strategic from the beginning when her mother went on the presser and said that they had a loving relationship.

Good questions!
First.......the process of galvanizing steel reqjuires 830 degrees or more, so a gasoline fuel wood fire of 500 degrees or less wouldn't affect it. Repeated exposure to heat in excess of 450 degrees will eventually crack the zinc layer of the galanizing, causing it to peel. Underneath, however, will be heat-treated steel which may be unnoticable until it rusts.
Second, accelerants such as gasoline and motor oil make a fire flash hotter for a few moments. The rapid increase in heat creates a chimney effect, with the heat convecting rapidly upwards, not radiating outward.
If you have ever stood around a campfire on a cold night, the last thing you want is for someone to throw accelerant on the fire.
Third, I don't know why a corral would be padlocked, but I caught a glimpse of the padlock on PF's gate, in the video of him telling reporters to get off his property. I was the best Master model. Weatherproof, bullet resistant and heat torch resistant. If he had a padlock hanging close to the fire, it probably was unnaffected.
Fourth, I believe that "scooped up" meant he used his Farmall type loader to lift the entire trough and load it in the back of his truck. Western ranch people would never say "scooped up" to mean "scooped out" as with a hand shovel. Once he dumped the contents, it probably could have been cleaned thoroughly with a worn corn broom. He may have simply returned it to the ranch, or left it on his leased land.
Finally, I am extremely skeptical that he actually burned KB's body. The description Investigator Slater gave just doesn't seem big enough, or of sufficient burn time, or the right odor. I think it could be that it was all of the other stuff that they removed after cleaning, plus the purse, all stuffed in the tote. I think KKL was conviced that she participated in the burning of the body, but she never actually handled it. I think that might explain why they found chunks of charred plastic, but no human ash. Why would he bother to do a thorough cleanup if there was no possibility of tissue match from any residue?
IMO
As for the padlock on a corral.... I grew up on a “gentleman’s farm” in SE Pennsylvania. We had horses..one in particular was nicknamed “Houdini. Not his real name but that gorgeous 17hand Palomino could escape anything in the barn. While we obviously never locked any stall doors in the barn for safety reasons, we did have to padlock the corral gates to prevent him from getting out (and letting the others out).

That's kind of how it strikes me - he had reached a point where all he could think about was killing KB. I'd like to know if KB had ever done a late night cattle check with PF before - seems an odd time to be checking your cattle, but I'm not a rancher. Was she just along for the ride or was a second person needed to 'check'?

The business about him killing her in the condo was at odds with the stories he spread around. Those stories indicated a depressed woman who had threatened suicide, had a problem with drugs/alcohol (had been to rehab recently), had been working unstable hours since rehab (implication being she still wasn't well), had threatened the baby, was possibly seeing someone else, had a sick grandmother and needed time to herself to work things out.

If PF was going to pull off a story about a runaway depressed young mother who committed suicide or was abducted or wilfully disappeared, his best bet was certainly not to kill her at the condo because obviously any disappearance is going to trigger a search that starts at home.

Only reason someone would do night check on cows:
You have a sick or injured cow who needs doctoring
You have a first time mother cow about to have a calf (wrong time of year)
You know a fence is almost down and need to repair it NOW.
You may be scheming a way to off your ex gf in middle of nowhere

The candle scent thing might seem weird, but some young women
l-o-o-o-ve them. I've played a game with a little girl b4. You close your eyes and pick out your favorite scent. So for some of us it's not too far fetched.
It's weird, imo, that PF would play that game. And with a sweater. While holding a bat. Sorry...I think that combination weird.

jmo

Hmmmm is right!

jmo

You’ve really got me wondering now, Inthedetails.

Yesterday on HLN they were discussing how investigators said KK was not reliable (paraphrasing) and how the defense would be all over this.

Also, maybe PF wanted KLK there, that this was part of the thrill, after all he supposedly asked her to do it originally.

Ok my bad. It wasn’t in the bathroom vent it was in the living room vent? But she was killed in the back room?
I think the baby was in the back room. I sure am hoping the killing wasn't in the same room as the baby. I'm considering the living room the location until LE confirms, but that is my opinion, not fact.

jmo

It's weird, imo, that PF would play that game. And with a sweater. While holding a bat. Sorry...I think that combination weird.
The sweater thing might be to make sure she didn't peek or she might scream and alert neighbors. I joke around with nonsense stuff at work at times.
The bat could have been snuck in when she was doing her hair and makeup*, or tending to baby K. *some women takes lots of time in the bathroom.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member