Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent post. Kudos. Kimberly was hit so hard her face was realigned and brain fluid was found on the wall. Colette's arms were either broken while defending herself and/or her children. MacDonald claims Colette screamed; "Jeff, why are they doing this to me?" A strange thing to yell, but prosecutors pointed out it could have really been; "Jeff, why are you doing this to me?"

The cases are very similar. McDonald was a serial cheater who wanted a new life. CW? Probably.

MacDonald was a physician and was probably aware that every member of his family had different blood types. He left an extremely bloody crime scene but concocted a crazy "hippies did it" story and some people actually believed him.

It was the blood evidence - the different blood types
of each family member, including MacDonald's own blood that told the real story of what had happened. MacDonald is a very intelligent guy, and he doesn't seem delusional, but he'll likely go to his grave insisting that the hippies did it.

ldbd
Can someone clarify a couple of thoughts I am having?

CW told police that he looked at the baby monitor screen and saw SW strangling their daughter Celeste and that he saw their older daughter, Bella, "sprawled" out on her bed and blue, according to the affidavit.
So if that was the true, how can CW explain that both girls were in Bella's bed being strangled when they each had their own bedrooms especially since I read somewhere on WS that both the little girls beds were either "made up" or "unmade" (need to also clarify which state the beds were in but can't find a link).
Also, if Bella was already dead in her bed and SW was in the midst of strangling Celeste in Bella's bed, how come CW couldn't prevent SW from completing that crime to Celeste? It is making the assumption that Celeste was already near death when CW saw the crimes on the baby monitor.
But didn't CW say he stepped away for only a moment to go downstairs?
How can both girls be dead in such a short amount of time ~ doesn't strangulation require more time to complete to result in death?

So basically CW was stating in affidavit that both girls were in Bella's bed at the time of their deaths.

Either the girls beds were unmade or they were made.

If the beds were unmade, then how did Celeste get to be in Bella's bed ~ assuming Celeste would have gone to bed in her own room based on the fact that her bed was unmade?

If the beds are not made up, then where did the girls go to sleep that night?

How could SW kill both girls in such a short amount of time for CW to go downstairs and come back up?

Doesn't make sense.

No, it does not make sense, but CW didn't say (from what is in the affidavit) that it all took place on Bella's bed. He said he saw Bella sprawled out and "blue," and Shanann strangling Celeste, but the affidavit does not say WHERE Shanann was supposedly strangling Celeste - in Bella's bed, Bella's room, in Celeste's room, etc.

NUA stated in an ABC video that the girl's beds weren't made. The video and a transcript is here: Video: Friend of woman allegedly killed by husband on why something 'didn't seem right'
Hi PommyMommy,
The affidavit is as follows:
Quoted from affidavit:

"While in the bedroom, via baby monitor located on Shanann's night stand, he observed Bella "sprawled" out on her bed and blue and Shanann actively strangling Celeste".

I read this affidavit as implying that CW states that Bella was sprawled out on her bed and Shanann was strangling Celeste on Bella's bed.
At the very least, I take it that Bella was sprawled out on her bed. CW doesn't actually state in affidavit that Celeste was on Bella's bed but it is inferred that based on the affidavit and how it is worded.

Thanks for linking that the girls beds weren't made.
Can we assume they were in their respective beds at time of death?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm still perplexed on this GPS coordinate thing. IDK and please tell me if I am correct in my assumptions, please!!!

CW hid the bodies at an oil storage tank site that is owned or operated by his employer - am I correct?

This same oil storage tank site is not in Hudson proper, but is actually a few miles up the highway from Hudson - am I correct?

Do we know if CW had responsibilities for checking on that site? If I am correct in my first two assumptions, I am assuming that part of CW's job duties may have included checking on this specific oil tank storage site?

I'm assuming this because the site is way off the beaten path. A person would need to know where they were going to get there, and they would need to know how to get in. It looks like they would also need specific access to get into the site itself.

The GPS coordinates for where the bodies were discovered are shown in the warrantless arrest affadavit. I typed in those exact GPS coordinates into the GPS locator website I listed in my original post and it identified the location as Hudson, CO. Even though it isn't really Hudson, it said Hudson.

I'm assuming CW was aware there was GPS on his truck and he was also aware that LE would verify his story of where he said he went against his truck's GPS. And it would check out.

If I'm correct in all of my assumptions, then CW told LE the truth about where he had gone early Monday morning. If CW had been able to get all three bodies into oil storage tanks, and if he hadn't left the sheet behind, my thoughts are there would be "nothing" visible to be found by LE.

Am I way off on this?

Hmmm. Mapping is not my forte. About all I can tell you is that when I enter those coordinates into Google Maps, I get the well site in Roggen, which looks to be about 17 miles NE of Hudson.
Screenshot 2018-09-08 22.55.17.png
Google Maps

MacDonald was a physician and was probably aware that every member of his family had different blood types. He left an extremely bloody crime scene but concocted a crazy "hippies did it" story and some people actually believed him.

It was the blood evidence - the different blood types
of each family member, including MacDonald's own blood that told the real story of what had happened. MacDonald is a very intelligent guy, and he doesn't seem delusional, but he'll likely go to his grave insisting that the hippies did it.
Very intelligent people often forget that there are other very intelligent people in the world.

She had some severe issues going on there. I remember an interview where she said something to the effect of wanting to have kids so they would love her. A normal person wants kids so they can love them. Ann Rule’s book on the case was very enlightening.
Yes, she did. After she was convicted, she was able to scale the prison walls and managed to get away. LE caught up with her very soon, IIRC. Nutty as a fruitcake!

I have read through some of the threads! So much discussion on this case. It boggles my mind. I am sure this has been discussed, but can someone point me to the correct thread or just answer this question, please? I know the autopsies were done. But has a cause of death been publicly released? If so, where can I read that? I know that CW said he strangled SW, but I was wondering about the unlawful termination of pregnancy thing in the arrest document. Can someone clear this up for me? I would do appreciate your help!
BBM I don't have a answer for you but I wanted to add to the cause of death. I read that SW died as a result of unlawful termination of her pregnancy. This is the exact wording: "On or about August 13, 2018, Christopher Lee Watts with the intent to terminate unlawfully the pregnancy of a woman, namely: Shanann Watts, feloniously and unlawfully terminated the pregnancy of the woman. Further, the woman died as a result of the unlawful termination of the pregnancy, in violation of 18-3.5-103(1),(2), C.R.S(F3) Does this seem odd wording? Please forgive me if this was already discussed....https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/19th_Judicial_District/caseofinterest/2018CR2003/001/COMPLAINT AND INFORMATION.pdf

Last edited:
If I found out my DH was having an affair and he told me he wants a separation, I would tell him to get out of MY house (even though the house is under both our name). Then I would call @gitana1

But I don't believe CW said anything about separation that morning. Why would he, when he was going to kill them all anyway. JMO.

Ha ha!!

Yes, she did. After she was convicted, she was able to scale the prison walls and managed to get away. LE caught up with her very soon, IIRC. Nutty as a fruitcake!

She also re-enacted the story from her perspective and could not stop herself from giggling and flirting with the reporter. Incredibly disturbing.

Not that I want to try to understand his sick mind, but he could have explained his earlier than normal departure on SW's late arrival home and not being able to go back to sleep, so he just decided to just get an early start that morning.

If everything else had gone his way, I think he could have gotten away with that excuse. JMO.
I don't know, leave 2 hours early for work, or spend the morning with my wife that I hadn't seen for 3 days. I doubt that would have passed smell test with LE.

This is simply an affirmative defense, and it is absolutely sickening. It, in effect, blames and insults the victims posthumously. Sick, sick defense lawyers extract any info they can use from batterers to help them twist the blame onto the victim, to cast doubt, and to slander. Any defense lawyer who engages in this type of play is reprehensible and should be sued for slander when the murderer is found guilty.

note - you can't see if a body is blue over a baby monitor (esp if it's black and white) particularly if they have only just perished.

ldbd

CW told police that he looked at the baby monitor screen and saw SW strangling their daughter Celeste and that he saw their older daughter, Bella, "sprawled" out on her bed and blue, according to the affidavit.
So if that was the true, how can CW explain that both girls were in Bella's bed being strangled when they each had their own bedrooms especially since I read somewhere on WS that both the little girls beds were either "made up" or "unmade" (need to also clarify which state the beds were in but can't find a link).
Also, if Bella was already dead in her bed and SW was in the midst of strangling Celeste in Bella's bed, how come CW couldn't prevent SW from completing that crime to Celeste? It is making the assumption that Celeste was already near death when CW saw the crimes on the baby monitor.
How can both girls be dead in such a short amount of time ~ doesn't strangulation require more time to complete to result in death?

So basically CW was stating in affidavit that both girls were in Bella's bed at the time of their deaths.

If the beds were unmade, then how did Celeste get to be in Bella's bed ~ assuming Celeste would have gone to bed in her own room based on the fact that her bed was unmade?

How could SW kill both girls in such a short amount of time for CW to go downstairs and come back up?

Doesn't make sense.

Hi PommyMommy,
Quoted from affidavit:

"While in the bedroom, via baby monitor located on Shanann's night stand, he observed Bella "sprawled" out on her bed and blue and Shanann actively strangling Celeste".

I read this affidavit as implying that CW states that Bella was sprawled out on her bed and Shanann was strangling Celeste on Bella's bed.
At the very least, I take it that Bella was sprawled out on her bed. CW doesn't actually state in affidavit that Celeste was on Bella's bed but it is inferred that based on the affidavit and how it is worded.

ldbd

Doesn't make sense.

Hi PommyMommy,
Quoted from affidavit:

I'm not informed on the mechanics of baby monitors but is it possible that there was a monitor on each nightstand (CW and SW), and he saw Bella blue on SW nightstand monitor, and Celeste on his bedside Monitor?

snipped:
moonlessnight
This is simply an affirmative defense, and it is absolutely sickening. It, in effect, blames and insults the victims posthumously. Sick, sick defense lawyers extract any info they can use from batterers to help them twist the blame onto the victim, to cast doubt, and to slander. Any defense lawyer who engages in this type of play is reprehensible and should be sued for slander when the murderer is found guilty.

note - you can't see if a body is blue over a baby monitor (esp if it's black and white) particularly if they have only just perished. END QUOTE

There has been a lot of discussion on WS as to whether CW could actually see a child being "blue" via the baby monitor and the type of baby monitor (black and white or a color monitor).
I think the general consensus is that CW could not tell by looking at the monitor if his child was blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member