Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this article states:
"1:40 p.m. Monday: A police officer arrives at the Wattses’ home, having been called by the friend. While the officer is inspecting the outside of the house, Chris Watts arrives home. He said he hadn’t seen or heard from his wife since he left the house more than eight hours earlier. Her purse and keys were in the house and her car was in the garage."

So either the person who initially cited this article as being the one which mentioned her keys being in the car, was wrong, or...it was from a different source.

I cited the article stating I thought it was that one, but couldn't open the article to be sure. We discussed this many, many threads ago and there was an article that said the keys were in the car, but only one article, which is why I've never given it much weight.

ETA: This is the article that mentions it.

'I hope it's a boy for him': Pregnant wife, weeks before husband allegedly killed her
When they found Watts' purse and cell phone inside the house and her keys inside her car in the garage, Atkinson became even more alarmed.

Thank you. It’s been hard losing her and some of the post-crime character dissection afterward has almost been worse. i can honestly say in the time that I knew her I NEVER ONCE heard Shanann judge another person, speculate on anyone’s character or criticize others behind their back. She was all about encouraging people to be their best, and she was a positive energy in many lives imcluding mine. It warmed my heart to see how genuinely happy she was when one of her friends accomplished something. Job success, weight loss, relationship victories, adult graduations, new babies — she rooted for it all and celebrated when it happened.

She would never have dreamt of questioning someone’s life, motivation and character the way hers is being picked apart by total strangers. And she’s not even here to defend herself. It’s the main reason I decided to go through the effort to be a VI. Everything she valued is being questioned and she deserves to have somebody try to keep baseless rumors at bat. It’s what she would have done in a heartbeat for a friend if she were here.

We appreciate your input so much. She was very lucky to have called you her friend.

Well, I guess LE decided it had some value because they “recovered” it from the trash.
Hey, Gitana, what’s your first impression of this new appeal filed by the defense? Thx.
. https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/19th_Judicial_District/caseofinterest/2018CR2003/(D35) MR WATT'S MOTION TO RECONSIDER THE COURT'S ORDER (C-7) DENYING DEFENSE MOTIONS (D29), (D30) AND (D31).pdf

I respect the defense, I'll tell ya' that. They're no slouches. They're advocating hard and well.

IIRC their initial motion asked the court to investigate whether the state was upholding its ethical obligations.

I think that's likely what the court stated it couldn't do. And ethical rules violations are typically invesitigated by the state bar. Not a specific court in a specific case.

Also, the defense seems to be characterizing the ethical rules the state is bound by to not make statements that would prejudice the defendant and to be cautious in ensuring those working with the state, like LE departments, don't as well, as a gag order imposed by this court. Which indeed the court would have the power to find the state in contempt for violating.

But I've found no evidence of gag orders imposed by the court in this case.

And I don't recall the defense motion asking for the state to be found in contempt. Maybe I missed that. I thought it was just to "invesitgate".

Based on that I understand why the defense motion was denied and it's unlikely their motion for reconsideration would be granted.

But he's got a good, solid team pulling out all the stops. Top notch and intelligent arguments.

I am very curious about this post. Do you have a link for this? I ask because I do not recall any mention of a mattress pad; only a top sheet and two pillow cases in the kitchen trash can. Also, I do not recall anyone from DA/LE stating that the sheets showed no foul play. Thank you.
There is no mention of a mattress pad. LE did not state the sheets showed no foul play.

The affidavit says that Det. Baumhover observed the bed in the master bedroom had been stripped of its bedding, which was lying on the floor. They checked the bedding for signs of foul play and found nothing. Further, it says investigators spotted a bed sheet in the field near the tank battery that matched the pattern of several pillowcases and a top sheet from the kitchen trash.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/19th_Judicial_District/caseofinterest/2018CR2003/001/Warrantless Arrest Affidavit.pdf

Do you believe that saying on a public video "you're not being very helpful Chris", in an even tone like we heard in the video, not a nasty tone, not yelling, is "very emasculating"?

>>> snipped for space <<<

Help me out, friends.

I agree. She could have said things like that out of exasperation about things he'd constantly do that didn't help her or the girls -- not cleaning up or getting the girls to pick up their toys, or not bathing them at night, or not doing anything around the house, etc., etc. Or he could act childish, etc. Just not doing things around the house to help her out. Her complaining to him about that, IMO, would still not be emasculation. Making a snide remark if he could not satisfy her in bed, or if he could not "get started" in bed, etc., if done often could eventually be emasculation, but we have no info if any of that happened between them. True emasculation is a very cruel and vile thing to do -- I don't see it here.

But when someone gets it in his/her mind that they are ready to (or have to) move on, it might not take much for that person to think about total freedom -- a mulligan -- a do-over. Especially if he had had affairs with a couple of people -- no strings attached, freedom. He could have also found a feeling about himself that he had previously denied, but had recently realized that he liked it, and wanted to further explore it (a male partner).

I respect the defense, I'll tell ya' that. They're no slouches. They're advocating hard and well.

IIRC they're initial motion asked the court to investigate whether the state was upholding its ethical obligations.

I think that's likely what the court stated it couldn't do. And ethical rules violations are typically invesitigated by the state bar. Not a specific court in a specific case.

Also, the defense seems to be characterizing the ethical rules the state is bound by to not make statements that would prejudice the defendant and to be cautious in ensuring those working with the state, like LE departments, don't as well, as a gag order imposed by this court. Which indeed the fort would have the power to find the state in contempt for violating.

But I've found no evidence of gag orders in this case.

And I don't recall the defense motion asking for the state to be found in contempt. Maybe I missed that. I thought it was just to "invesitgate".

Based on that I understand why the defense motion was denied and it's unlikely their motion for reconsideration would be granted.

But he's got a good, solid team pulling out all the stops. Top notch and intelligent arguments.

I like that. We don’t want him claiming ineffective assistance of counsel down the line.

I agree. Context is everything and we just don’t have that here.

Plenty of spouses rib their significant other in public. I mentioned it before, but my grandmother does the same thing to my grandfather, but it is on a complete other level from what we see in these videos. It’s extreme, but playful.

What we see here is incredibly mild by comparison, and we simply don’t see a clear example of SW “emasculating” C.W.

Nagging, being bossy, maybe. But so what?

Massguy, I hope I didn't imply that SW was emasculating CW. I never used that word in my post. I did read from the VI about CW "He was verbally abused from the beginning" and was wanting to get some insight on what others interpreted as well in the video.

Massguy, I hope I didn't imply that SW was emasculating CW. I never used that word in my post. I did read from the VI about CW "He was verbally abused from the beginning" and was wanting to get some insight on what others interpreted as well in the video.
I wasn’t responding to you. That was in response to gitana1, who was responding to a post from another member (not you). You’re good.

YES. That's why I think the defense was strategically bluffing when they publicly asked for the touch DNA from the children necks. How would there be any if they had been in a vat of crude oil for 4 days?

As soon as I heard that I thought they wouldn't be able to get DNA after being in the oil and they put that out just so the public would think SW must have killed her kids if CW/defense is asking for DNA on the kids necks.

Something I am hesitant to post and hopefully it is not TOS adverse, but what if what was reported that CW choked a mistress during sex, what if this happened between SW and CW that morning and it went to far and CW snapped?

I can’t imagine many women engaging in that sort of sex and even if things were hunky dory between CW and SW, I doubt she’d be wanting a romp after her long weekend especially not getting home until nearly 2am. But she did say she had tons of energy even though her eyes tell me she was tired.

I agree. Context is everything and we just don’t have that here.

Plenty of spouses rib their significant other in public. I mentioned it before, but my grandmother does the same thing to my grandfather, but it is on a complete other level from what we see in these videos. It’s extreme, but playful.

What we see here is incredibly mild by comparison, and we simply don’t see a clear example of SW “emasculating” C.W.

Nagging, being bossy, maybe. But so what?

We form our opinions based on our own personal experiences. My husband has never "ribbed" me in public nor have I done so to him in public. That's emotional abuse and not an act of love, imo. If SW was doing this on camera, I can't imagine what went on when the camera was turned off. I'm sure not surprised if either SW or CW wanted divorce. JMO

I can’t imagine many women engaging in that sort of sex and even if things were hunky dory between CW and SW, I doubt she’d be wanting a romp after her long weekend especially not getting home until nearly 2am. But she did say she had tons of energy even though her eyes tell me she was tired.
I agree maeleemae, not a likely scenerio.

We form our opinions based on our own personal experiences. My husband has never "ribbed" me in public nor have I done so to him in public. That's emotional abuse and not an act of love, imo. If SW was doing this on camera, I can't imagine what went on when the camera was turned off. I'm sure not surprised if either SW or CW wanted divorce. JMO
That’s why I said “context is everything.” We don’t know what was normal for them. We don’t know Shanann’s intent, if it bothered C.W., or what actually went on behind closed doors. I find it fascinating that you can make a determination that this was “emotional abuse” and “not an act of love.”

Using one’s own reference point is fine, but to make a statement of fact based on that, is another thing entirely.

I cited the article stating I thought it was that one, but couldn't open the article to be sure. We discussed this many, many threads ago and there was an article that said the keys were in the car, but only one article, which is why I've never given it much weight.

ETA: This is the article that mentions it.

'I hope it's a boy for him': Pregnant wife, weeks before husband allegedly killed her
When they found Watts' purse and cell phone inside the house and her keys inside her car in the garage, Atkinson became even more alarmed.
I've not re-watched CW interviews but he may have said this about the keys left in the vehicle to interviewing reporter in the context that it was a common practice and therefore nothing unusual about finding keys inside the vehicle in the locked garage. MOO

In the interview with NU she states that "The front door was locked differently then it normally was" Start 2:41
Video: Friend of woman allegedly killed by husband on why something 'didn't seem right'

We know that the metal chain latch went across the front door inside preventing the door from opening anymore then 3 inches. I know there was discussion on WS whether the latch being engaged from the inside the home was a regular occurrence by routine but NU is implying that this wasn't the norm and the front door was locked differently than what was routine.
I am assuming that NU had a key to the front door.
Another possibility is that NU did not have a key to the house, so she just simply tried to open the front door, but the door wouldn't open fully because of the inside latch.

CW could have unlocked the front door but forgot to undo the latch (before he left to dump the bodies). He staged the scene poorly, I guess lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties