Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
in my own experience - LE and the prosecution would generally have the preliminary results/cause of death by now - still waiting on some things like toxicology etc. before the final report can be prepared (and released/shared)

@Amandaaa I had wondered about this previously, but the thread was shut down & removed before I could see if you had addressed this issue of the autopsy. Please forgive me if you’ve already explained this.

Yesterday was the deadline for the prosecution to submit a copy of the autopsies to the defense. The prosecution responded that they were aware of this, but they did not have them to share.

It seemed to me (an average layperson) that both the judge & defense had assumed if the prosecution had enough evidence to file a motion to seal the autopsies, they at least had seen a preliminary report. Hence the deadline set by the court.

The prosecution had asked the court to seal records they didn’t have & had not seen? How can a court schedule a hearing for autopsies they don’t have? The autopsy is just COD—not DNA findings & forensic findings—correct? Is this as unusual as it seems?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Now that you mention it, what was the theory about the nebulizer and that it can be used for other things and how was it thought to be related? I remember that discussion, and even replied, but I'm still confused as to what the point turned out to be. Was it suggested something deadly was used in it? It was all very vague and secretive and I never found out what the theory was.

Not sure I totally understood the nebulizer thing but what I gleaned from it was - sometimes kids get a prescription for one for bronchitis or something acute... so having one was not proof that the kids had a chronic illness like asthma. It was all related to the implication that SW lied about her kids conditions. Jmo.

AB 9/26/18
1. An Old Dominion moving truck was parked outside Watts home today being filled with articles from the Watts home. It will be taken to a warehouse to await for further instructions. About 3500 lbs is to be moved. SWs father is there, was seen carrying a bed frame out to the truck. He was red faced and sweaty. Also moved a mirror. Other people were there. Woman in her 30’s was helping, Police there, too. Phone guest, Susan, said she drove by and noticed each time they loaded, they closed up the truck. 2 cars parked out front had Colorado license plates. SWs father smiled at guest, Susan, and she said it was heartbreaking. Memorial has been removed from outside house, there are still purple ribbons and bows around the neighborhood. There has been very little activity at the house until today.
2. AB asked guest, Defense Attorney David Beller, who owns the Watts possessions? Beller says at this point we know that police have held the home for awhile, they’ve collected everything they need of evidentiary value. It’s very likely the home and contents have been turned over to the Watts family, very likely that a jury is never going to see the inside of that home because it’s now been given to SW’s family. Does C.W. have any right to the articles in home? Yes, CW is SWs next of kin. Given the circumstances CW will not have access to or need items for a long time. His best interest is to look past them, to allow SWs family take possession of them, it is obvious that’s what’s happening.
3. Guest, Steve Helling, update on C.W. CW still in cell for 23 hours a day, then allowed out to the “Hour Out Room,” where he has access to a newspaper. He wasn’t reading newspaper, he didn’t realize national interest in story. At some point someone told him. He’s not happy about it. He thinks if people really knew who he was, if they knew the situation, they would come to a very different conclusion of who he is, if people knew, they would change their minds. AB says we know who he is, we watched him lie. Helling said we’ve seen this before, Casey Anthony. John Evander Couey said same thing, said he gave victim a stuffed dolphin after he buried her alive.
4. SW’s father built and installed Kitchen cabinets in SWs kitchen, he’s a cabinet maker. He built the orange stool seen in videos that kids played on. Maybe he’s taking those?
5. Guest, SWs 9th grade theater teacher, Matt Francis, who SW kept up friendship with, last communicated 2 weeks before she died, when she was doing a convention, he saw it and congratulated her. She used to be shy and insecure, she’s grown a lot. In class she realized the class was all about ensemble. SW realized people cared about her, she started to thrive. Had low self esteem, was teased. Her name was Shanna Ann. Very southern. Matt found a letter that SW wrote to him. (See letter in attached photo) Matt is in tears as they talk. SW was very helpful in class, SW had a level of empathy that very few have. Can’t believe this happened to her. So hard to see. Funeral was hard. She did enough in her short life to affect people who knew her for a long time. Matt wants justice, and says we've got to do better as a culture to help hurting people like SW did.
6. What is Defense doing now? At this point trying to answer the question why? Don’t have much to go on yet. Too early to set a defense, simply don’t know, trying to block Prosecution from getting more evidence, talking with C.W. trying to figure out what happened. There will be volumes of evidence. There is already a mountain of evidence. CW admitted that he killed SW. You have the evidence showing he did. The defense has a lot to overcome.
Thank you Layla. Even though that was terribly sad to read.

Me too, I thought he looked like a bum who mugged Santa and stole his clothes. I thought the reason the kids were crying was because he looked so freaky and they were terrified..
Omg you have me laughing so hard. Thanks for the laugh MsBetsy :) and just in case, I’m not laughing about the kids crying.

Not sure I totally understood the nebulizer thing but what I gleaned from it was - sometimes kids get a prescription for one for bronchitis or something acute... so having one was not proof that the kids had a chronic illness like asthma. It was all related to the implication that SW lied about her kids conditions. Jmo.
Yes, I remember that, but at the time it seemed like there was some dark secret like she was poisoning them with something she put in the nebulizer. I think I just gave up on trying to figure it out.

disappointed-face_1f61e.png

Now that you mention it, what was the theory about the nebulizer and that it can be used for other things and how was it thought to be related? I remember that discussion, and even replied, but I'm still confused as to what the point turned out to be. Was it suggested something deadly was used in it? It was all very vague and secretive and I never found out what the theory was.

I believe the suggestion was that she got it for a reason other than an actual asthma diagnosis but was displaying its use on social media in order to promote the "fake" story that her kids had asthma.

The allegation was she likely has Munchausen's syndrome and was faking her children's illnesses for attention because she's a psychopathic narcissist.

In the meantime, comparatively speaking she has a very small percentage of posts about her or her children's illnesses and she speaks positively, not with the alarm and dread common to actual people with the condition.

Question for the attorneys (and anyone else who can comment): Does a defense team ever conduct their own independent autopsy with an independent Medical Examiner if they feel there was evidence that was not found by the ME or was somehow missed during the official autopsy?

Yes. They can if the court allows it. Didn't Casey Anthony's team
Someone ya'll? Or were they just present?

Last edited:
Yes, I remember that, but at the time it seemed like there was some dark secret like she was poisoning them with something she put in the nebulizer. I think I just gave up on trying to figure it out.

I think the dark secret was supposed to be that SW was using the existence of a nebulizer that was not for asthma to convince people the girls did have asthma, which they didn't have because SW had MSBP ... or something. It was very much not a straight line to get there..which is why this is just my opinion.

I'm sure medical records will explain everything, since the children went to a doctor for their conditions.

Here is the thing. With SW's murder alone, many would probably assume he "snapped". There might be a lot of transference involved in the situations when one partner has obsessive/controlling traits, and too many, gender aside, could say, "she sounds just like my ex..."

But the kids turn it into premeditation. So people who might be somewhat sympathetic to CW as a timid guy under his wife's heel can find themselves in the state of cognitive dissonance, almost willing to be convinced that she did it. I am abiding by the rule not to discuss other posts, but I suspect I saw a tad of it here, too. Not much.

I think we should be less intolerant of each other's opinions. People have emotions, own life histories. If someone believes CW, his/her right. Just remember that the phrase, "de mortuis nil nisi bonum" (about the dead, nothing but good) is common courtesy. SW was not a bad person, not at all - I am writing it with full understanding that I would not be able to make a family with her male counterpart - merely, as any human, she was not perfect and probably needed a very different husband.

Nice, thoughtful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member