CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this still out there? I have friends I know their stories, I know their routines. We ARE friends. We look out for one another. If something happens out of the ordinary I would call for a wellness check. Not for all of them, but the ones I know who might be in struggling relationship or pregnancy! I fell in 2016 on Christmas Eve. I was no where near my phone and couldn’t move. I was expected at a friends 1 hour way Christmas Day. She called for a wellness check and arrived as I was finally being loaded into an ambulance. I can’t thank her enough!

Last edited:
And all this just because someone didn’t answer the phone! Police were on it!!!

No, it wasn't just because she didn't answer her phone. There were a plethora of reasons which I've explained to you twice and many other posters have explained, as well. And thank the Lord that Shanann had a friend who was attentive and devoted enough to call for that wellness check and that police responded right away.

As far as I know the cause of death of all of the murdered people has not been released (????) just that HE said he strangled his wife and that SHE strangled the little kids.

Hm... well then that might open up a variety of other possible scenarios of how CW killed them, and what specifically went down that night. B/c at this point, all we have to go on is what this guy says is truth (his versions of truth not proving very reliable at this juncture). I suppose he could have figured that if he did strangle them he might as well acknowledge that, b/c he anticipates the autopsy to confirm that... but I can also see it being possible that he killed them in some other way and the girls were put in the oil bc he hoped that would make an autopsy less conclusive.

(unrelated public service announcement: all of my likes have disappeared! I haven't posted in a couple of years- before the new website design... but I promise I wasn't a total reject ;)

CARIIS said:
I really do not understand why someone would admit strangling the life out of their wife , dumping his kids in disgusting oil ,and tossing his dead wife in a self made grave, while admitting to an affair has a heap of motivation to lie about the rest.

HE has huge motivation to tell the lie, in the way that he crafted it.

He says he only killed his wife to try and stop her from strangling his child. She had brutally killed them and so he snapped and killed her too. He was a victim...

Can you see the HUGE difference between that 'confession' ---and one in which he admits killing the babies himself?

There is no comparison between the two. He never takes any responsibility or accountability in his current confession. He makes himself out to be the victim. His confession==He witnesses his wife's evil actions and so he responds in kind, in an attempt to clean up her mess.

CARIIS said:
It is interesting to note, that as far as we know at this time, this monster apparently did NOT have any history of DV?

Pretty amazing for a child killer no?

The man who killed Mollie Tibbets has no violent criminal history. No history of DV. So no, it's not that amazing.

CARIIS said:
I really do not understand why someone would admit strangling the life out of their wife , dumping his kids in disgusting oil ,and tossing his dead wife in a self made grave, while admitting to an affair has a heap of motivation to lie about the rest.

HE has huge motivation to tell the lie, in the way that he crafted it.

He says he only killed his wife to try and stop her from strangling his child. She had brutally killed them and so he snapped and killed her too. He was a victim...

Can you see the HUGE difference between that 'confession' ---and one in which he admits killing the babies himself?

There is no comparison between the two. He never takes any responsibility or accountability in his current confession. He makes himself out to be the victim. His confession==He witnesses his wife's evil actions and so he responds in kind, in an attempt to clean up her mess.

And he didn't admit to the affair until it was proven. He lied when asked about it. LE investigated and found the evidence.

What I am interested in learning is whether there are life insurance policies involved.

This has been on my mind all day today. The fact he was having an affair has been wildly talked about and I think that's likely a part of the motive but I can't help but think finances were a bigger part of it.

First, I apologize if these questions have already been answered. So much reading and I had to take a break to fix some plumbing issues!

1. Since a cadaver dog picked up a scent, does a certain time have to pass for a cadaver dog to pick up a dead scent?

2. Can any sort of test determine how old the scent is?

3. Could the pillow covers have been used to strangle the girls? Would police test all objects for DNA?

4. Since all of the decedents are related, can the DNA be distinguished between daughters and mom?

5. Would fitted bed sheet (found in the oil field) be tested for DNA?

6. Would all of CW’s clothes be tested for DNA or death scent?

7. Cariis posted “...and now we know why he killed his wife and etc. etc.”. How do we know that; did I miss something?

8. Is SW thought to be having an affair or is this wild conjecture?

Thank you for your tolerances and anticipated responses.

Reposting your questions in bold and my response in plain text

1. Since a cadaver dog picked up a scent, does a certain time have to pass for a cadaver dog to pick up a dead scent?

We don't know for a fact that cadaver dogs did pick up a scent. We can reasonably conjecture that cadaver dogs were used in the house as CW did mention dogs in the house, and cadaver or blood dogs would be the only logical type of sniffer dog to take into the house.

Tests have shown cadaver dogs are able to pick up the scent of a dead body with a good level of accuracy for bodies that are in place for less than ten minutes.

2. Can any sort of test determine how old the scent is?

I don't believe they can.

3. Could the pillow covers have been used to strangle the girls? Would police test all objects for DNA?

Anything that can be made into a long thin shape could be used. In a family home in a situation like this it wouldn't imo be worth checking for DNA on objects in the house. That's really only useful when there's an outside suspect to check for their DNA on a murder weapon, for example.

They could do other forensic tests, but I think it would take an expert to determine what specific tests might be useful in this case.

4. Since all of the decedents are related, can the DNA be distinguished between daughters and mom?

With a high quality dna sample, yes they can distinguish between mom and daughters. Shanann doesn't carry any of CW's DNA, both girls do carry his DNA, so there's quite a large difference between the DNA of Shanann and her daughters.

5. Would fitted bed sheet (found in the oil field) be tested for DNA?

It could be if there was a need to, but I don't see any reason to do DNA testing on it. They could do that to provide stronger evidence that the sheet came from the Watts home and it isn't a pure coincidence that a sheet matching a set in their home was found near the bodies. I'm not sure it's necessary though.

6. Would all of CW’s clothes be tested for DNA or death scent?

I believe what they do is take the dog through each room and allow the dog to move around the room in its own way (it's been well trained, the dog knows what to do and what he/she is looking for) and then dog will either alert in a place or it won't alert. So if CW's clothing is laying on the floor or something then perhaps the dog might alert to it if CW was in close contact with a body for ... probably at least two minutes touch contact? Roughly.

It wouldn't be a particularly helpful report from the dog. There's no evidence an outsider was in the home, there's no reason that CW, who is the only one who could have transported the bodies, would not have cadaver scent on his clothing from that night.

8. Is SW thought to be having an affair or is this wild conjecture?

Nothing has been stated in any source which is allowed in this forum. That would be Shanann's own words on her FB or other social media site; Law enforcement; a mainstream media article.

As it hasn't been reported in any of those sources, it's conjecture.

And he didn't admit to the affair until it was proven. He lied when asked about it. LE investigated and found the evidence.

I would likely lie too. So many things had to be going on in his head. His wife just killed the kids, he killed her, he did got rid of the bodies, the friend was concerned and got police involved, he had an affair he didn’t want out. His kids are gone, world upside down.

if they had this evidence why was he free for days?

typically when LE has evidence of first degree murder they pretty well go get em pretty quick -- not 72 hours later

where they were was, per their documentation was no proof of foul play , had a purse ,and cell, a confession ,locating bodies then an arrest

They had a missing persons case but as soon as they found the bodies he was arrested right? Until the bodies were located they didn’t have evidence of murder.

Not just in your opinion as they are (were) three and four year olds. In the laws of life they are above blame......so not just your opinion, right?
Sorry, no IMO needed here for that statement

If my close friend had told me her husband was cheating on her, and abusive, you bet I would be worried if she didn't answer the phone when we planned to meet. I would be frantic if I couldn't reach her, worried more that she was sick, crying and needed my help.

Her testimony will be amazing to listen to, if there is a trial.

And all this just because someone didn’t answer the phone! Police were on it!!!

That is not at all a good characterization of the situation.

The report started as a result of a woman with a high-risk pregnancy who had had a low blood sugar incident the day before. She was not answering the phone, she had not turned up for her doctor's appointment, and yet she appeared to be home, and she wasn't answering the door.

There was every reason to be concerned for her health as she may be unconscious inside the home, and if she was unconscious that would be reason for concern over two children under five in the home with an unconscious caretaker.

The response that got was a wellness check from LE. Totally in proportion to the situation.

The rest of the response that cottonweaver noted came later, when LE had a chance to do early investigations and find that Shanann had left that home of her own volition. That made it a high risk missing persons inquiry for a pregnant woman and two children under five years old who didn't seem to have their medications with them *if* they were alive out there.

No, it was definitely not all because a woman didn't answer the phone.

We can reasonably conjecture that cadaver dogs were used in the house as CW did mention dogs in the house, and cadaver or blood dogs would be the only logical type of sniffer dog to take into the house.

SBM
Thank you for that information. But isn't it possible that they would have tracking dogs go into the house to try to track SW and the girls out of house? Like to see if they might have walked off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member