Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW GUILTY* #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That also crossed my mind.
Ha! When I heard the Crime Talk attorney question why so quick for the plea, and opine that as an attorney who would have been charged with representing Mr. Watts, that he could not believe that over a course of a month and a half, the public defender decided they could do mitigation on a potential death penalty case, and do a factual investigation..., I immediately thought he was speaking directly to CW's Mum! MOO

Yes. I would bet a great deal of (other people’s) money, on the fact that this plea will make a lot more sense come the 19th.

My expectation is that what we will come to learn in regards to evidence, will be something either incredibly incriminating, or representative of a flat out “smoking gun.”

Chris Watts ain’t taking no plea, without a damn good reason for it.

The death penalty alone, isn’t it.

Yep!

I’m not qualified to answer that. @gitana1 will know.
Thank you. But hopefully (if so) they will just let her family speak. Since his family can address him later personally.

So imho. This should be about Shannan vindication day and not some I love you and I understand why you did it mishap. Jmo.

But I definitely want all lawyers here to confirm if his side has the right to make a lienency statement on his behalf.

So hopefully they all chime in. And thanks again for the reply Lil Tex.

Thank you. But hopefully (if so) they will just let her family speak. Since his family can address him later personally.

So imho. This should be about Shannan vindication day and not some I love you and I understand why you did it mishap. Jmo.

But I definitely want all lawyers here to confirm if his side has the right to make a lienency statement on his behalf.

So hopefully they all chime in. And thanks again for the reply Lil Tex.

Both defense and prosecution can have people make statements. Per the plea he's facing several consecutive life sentences, so I don't know if the defense will feel like there's a reason to have anyone speak on his behalf other than maybe for "appearances" sake.

*disclaimer I'm NOT an attorney, but this has been my experience.

Is his family allowed to make statements during his sentencing for leniency consideration Lil Tex?
What could the family say? His agreement does state that all sentencing options on all counts are open to the Court, but Counts 1 through 3 and 6 (1st Degree Murder for each victim) require sentence served consecutively. Given that the the minimum sentence for murder is LWOP, and maximum is death, I don't see leniency making a difference. The remaining counts 5-9 provide for a range of years in confinement and monetary penalties. Nope, the consecutive LWOP sentences will still have him caged for his remaining life. MOO

Last edited:
@gitana1 My post on the last thread in reference to how many murder cases the man has tried wasn't in reference to CW's attorneys with whom I'm well-acquaited, it was in reference to the sensationalist posting on the case. As I stated earlier, CW's counsel, the DA, and the judge are all experienced players. I in no way believe CW was "punked" in any manner.

Ohhhh!

I don't know that. He seems to indeed be sensationalistic. Says things to provoke a reaction.

Last edited:
Is CW now forced to explain how the evidence aligns to his guilt? Like in a proffer statement or something.

Example.

Prosecutor: Is it true that the xyz Internet searches made on xyz day was done for premeditated murder purposes?

CW: Yes mr prosecutor.

Prosecutor: Is it true you made up a lie about her killing the girls?

CW: Yes mr prosecutor.

Prosecutor: And why did you lie about that?

Etc, etc, etc.

No. The DA said that wasn't part of the deal.

What would CW’s family be giving a statement for at the sentencing? Re: leniency, it’s not like he’s going to be set free. And even if they asked for him to only get 1 or 2 life sentences, that wouldn’t matter. <modsnip - reference to non-POI’s FB>I’m telling you, all CW’s family cares about at this point is saving his butt. And now, there is no butt to really save. They all will have to just deal with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find Scott Reisch’s insight very helpful. He also has a good reputation. Looking at it from a defense standpoint, your job is to defend your client, and that client enters a guilty plea to avoid a death sentence that won’t happen regardless, that client maybe did get punked.

Top Rated Denver, CO Criminal Defense Attorney | Scott Reisch | Super Lawyers

Why would his defense team not explain to him in detail the reality of the death penalty in CO?

From a defense standpoint, how is avoiding a penalty "that won't happen regardless" an effective defense if your client is innocent of first degree murder?

I'm not seeing how that makes sense. Help me out.

What could the family say? His agreement does state that all sentencing options on all counts are open to the Court, and Counts 1 through 3 and 6 (1st Degree Murder for each victim) require sentence served consecutively. Given that the the minimum sentence for murder is LWOP, and maximum is death, I don't see leniency making a difference. The remaining counts 5-9 provide for a range of years in confinement and monetary penalties. Nope, the consecutive LWOP sentences will still have him caged for his remaining life. MOO
I don't know.

Maybe they can say he suffers from an undiagnosed bout of high functioning Aspergers and deserves some type of leniency?

I don't know. :(

What would CW’s family be giving a statement for at the sentencing? Re: leniency, it’s not like he’s going to be set free. And even if they asked for him to only get 1 or 2 life sentences, that wouldn’t matter. If what the mother had up on her FB page re: a defense attorney is true, I’m telling you, all CW’s family cares about at this point is saving his butt. And now, there is no butt to really save. They all will have to just deal with this.

Sometimes even when a sentence is stipulated or mandated, I've seen family, friends, defendant, etc make a statement, sometimes they are trying to humanize the defendant, sometimes they're trying to have one last say. (MOO)

Why would his defense team not explain to him in detail the reality of the death penalty in CO?

From a defense standpoint, how is avoiding a penalty "that won't happen regardless" an effective defense if your client is innocent of first degree murder?

I'm not seeing how that makes sense. Help me out.

It doesn’t make sense. Didn’t the DA say that the defense went to the prosecution to make a plea to get life w/o parole and take the DP off the table? It’s what I thought he said.

Also, I’m interested in hearing about Anadarko. I always thought it was curious that they fired him on Aug 15th (it was then, right?... the day he was arrested). Curious that they would actually fire him so early unless they already knew so much. I’m sure he had called into work the 14th and 15th mornings to say he wasn’t coming in. Wonder how quickly they had checked his GPS, any surveillance from the oil tank site. The drone was there the 15th, right? Saw the freshly disturbed ground, and the sheet. Was the drone searching there based on info from Anadarko? Or did LE send the drone there on a bunch just because CW was known to have worked in that area?
I didn't think it was a big deal for Anadarko to fire him immediately. It reminded me how the Patriots immediately cut ties with Aaron Hernandez, simply for being arrested for murder. If investigators were on the Anadarko premise or inquired about anything, or the AP, I could see the company washing their hands of him immediately.

<modsnip - removed quoted post and reply re: non-POI’s FB>

I don’t know if everyone has a secret life but we all have secrets.

Is he advertising? Possibly. Even if he is, he’s requested and receiving transcripts and has requested copies of the autopsies and is/will share these with an in depth explanation for his viewers. I like that.

By the way, he’s my brother.

Just kidding. :p

Chris Watts got punked.

He's an attorney, so he's educated in the law. Apparently has years of experience. He's not representing Chris Watts. He hasn't reviewed the evidence the prosecution has reviewed, CW's defense has reviewed, and CW himself has reviewed. He wasn't in any of the plea agreement meetings. He's trying to get the autopsy reports. But he's shocked and flabbergasted.

Is he performing some kind of public service educational thingy? IDK.

Sometimes even when a sentence is stipulated or mandated, I've seen family, friends, defendant, etc make a statement, sometimes they are trying to humanize the defendant, sometimes they're trying to have one last say. (MOO)
Good luck to anyone who attempts to humanize this monster:

“He was a great husband and father before he decided to strangle his family to death, and dump their bodies like garbage. Should we seriously judge this man for one itty bitty little mistake?”

“Let he that never murdered his family, cast the first stone.”

I wouldn’t want that job.

Last edited:
It doesn’t make sense. Didn’t the DA say that the defense went to the prosecution to make a plea to get life w/o parole and take the DP off the table? It’s what I thought he said.
We do not know why the defence team approached the prosecution for a deal. The first deal was rejected, we do not know what that was either but it seems to me, that the DA felt that he had enough evidence to convict without any deals. Taking the DP off the table didn't mean anything really, so he gave them nothing, just a change in the cell he would occupy.
CW may have made the decision to plead guilty and instructed his defence team to approach the prosecution.

Chris Watts got punked.

He's an attorney, so he's educated in the law. Apparently has years of experience. He's not representing Chris Watts. He hasn't reviewed the evidence the prosecution has reviewed, CW's defense has reviewed, and CW himself has reviewed. He wasn't in any of the plea agreement meetings. He's trying to get the autopsy reports. But he's shocked and flabbergasted.

Is he performing some kind of public service educational thingy? IDK.

<modsnip - personalized>I just said I liked his in depth explanations as a Colorado Criminal defense attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member