Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The closest I could find was Cal Harris...and he was tried a few times before a judge said enough and acquitted him saving him from further prosecution by the prosecutor. And in that case they did find a touch of blood in the kitchen, but could have been natural from a cut. No other evidence she died in the house, on the property. They were talking about divorce, they were wealthy and they were living together but she had boyfriends. They never found a body, but eventually found what they think might have been items of her clothing burned at another location. What finally spared him, was some later testimony from someone who had seen her at the end of their driveway talking to a man but he always maintained his innocence and also always proclaimed that LE zeroed in on him without exploring any other options. At the end he filed in federal court for malicious prosecution. It's an interesting case with lots of additional details...but the closest I found to this case.
Kelsi Schelling is a good example, and it's a recent Colorado one too.

No body, no physical evidence, and what exactly happened remained a mystery.

Fortunately, lies and cell phone evidence are were as good as physical evidence.

Cal Harris may have gotten lucky because September 11, happened on the same day his wife went missing (many detectives were deployed to NYC). It put investigators behind the 8 ball, and they never recovered.

I think he got away with murder, but I couldn't have convicted him. That case was miles weaker than this one.

Last edited:
IMO it is interesting also to look at no body cases where the body turned up much later.

The usual point of staging the body is to conceal forensics, conceal the nature of the crime, or conceal the relationship between the victim and killer.

The problem is when the staging is done badly, it in fact reveals the hand of the killer which is what happened here.

E.g it would make more sense for BM to come home and find SM missing. Then her bike is found, with phone and the phone tracks a bike ride. Instead he had contrived for her to go missing while he was present.

Staging a body is not easy to do well.

A few of you, my dear Websleuth "cousins", have referred to the possibility of Barry having help in the disappearing of Suzanne. May I ask who you were thinking of, apart from maybe SD?

The bike staging is a huge convincing factor for me. It wasn't even in an area that she rode. Dumbazz BM couldn't even get that right. Plus, if he was so worried about his meth head employees and the wildlife,wouldn't he ask his wife what routes she used?

Sometimes I think he has the logical thinking level of a toddler. Like if that was her journal that was burned? Dude, are you 15 and burning your first girlfriend's diary because she said another boy was cute?

All MOO

The bike staging is a huge convincing factor for me. It wasn't even in an area that she rode. Dumbazz BM couldn't even get that right. Plus, if he was so worried about his meth head employees and the wildlife,wouldn't he ask his wife what routes she used?

Sometimes I think he has the logical thinking level of a toddler. Like if that was her journal that was burned? Dude, are you 15 and burning your first girlfriend's diary because she said another boy was cute?

All MOO
Another issue is she didn't take her sunglasses or camelback, which are items she would always take.

The helmet being planted was bizarre in its own right. I'd love to know his logic there.

A few of you, my dear Websleuth "cousins", have referred to the possibility of Barry having help in the disappearing of Suzanne. May I ask who you were thinking of, apart from maybe SD?

I think this is all BM, 100%, alone. I do think he may have had "jokey" conversations with the gym rats or his employees maybe about "offing his wife", hardy har har, before. I don't think this was an impulsive act on his part, I think it had been brewing for a long time.

Last edited:
Hope I did that right. I have never quoted just part of post before. :)

I think most can easily rule out her running off on her own. She took nothing with her, told not a single person she was leaving, had daughters, an oncology follow up appt., etc. Seems she was not fleeing her life, but instead was ready to take it back and leave her controlling husband.

Now for the someone else theory.. then we are to believe that someone else came in the house and took her sometime after Barry and her had some date? She woke up on Mothers Day and did not check her phone, call anyone, text anyone, use any apps, then just went for a bike ride and was taken? Or was taken from inside the house, but zero evidence was there that an intruder came in and did anything violent in the home.. it's just too much to believe I think. If there were signs of a struggle at all, maybe I could see that being an alternative the defense could use. I know the defense doesn't have to prove an alternative theory, but with as much evidence they have of Barry lying and disposing of things, being very suspicious on Mothers Day of all days.. they need to have more than partial DNA hit inside her car. I mean the other person would have had 12 hours to harm her, clean it all up, get rid of her, and leave no trace of themselves (expect the partial hit in the glovebox).. if this person was unknown why clean it all up? Why stage her bike? She definitely wasn't riding her bike because she didn't take her water that was in the car and friends have said she drives to a trail anyway.. so it just isn't going to add up.
Exactly!

Aside from the partial DNA in the car, the only other piece of evidence that could possibly help the defense with an IDI theory is the damage to the bedroom door. I can’t think of any other indication that there was anyone in the house that weekend besides Barry and Suzanne. Suzanne told her best friend that Barry had gotten physical. IIRC she also put physical abuse on her list of reasons why she was done with the marriage. The damage to the door is easily attributable to Barry.

I think the prosecution case will boil down to one key moment.

Was SM really in bed snoring, when BM left early that morning? The web of circumstantial evidence is arranged around that question.

If there is no reasonable possibility she was there, and BM is lying, then the only available inference is that BM is guilty of murder.

IMO there is no reasonable possibility she was alive in bed at that time.

Two key moments.

The frantic actions at 14:44 when Barry jumped out of his truck, with his .22 and literally ran all the way around his house in the same moments that Suzanne stops communicating with everyone she loves in the world.

I'm going to say (based on the defenses questioning at the PH) that Suzanne was a communicator. She talked and messaged at a pretty consistent rate so her failing to respond is a serious red flag.

Barry can't answer for that.

I've long believed that somebody could have inadvertently helped BM. For example, looking at the list of individuals BM is ordered not to have contact with is one former employee that I think may have been so fearful of BM that he was determined to wait until BM was arrested and incarcerated before he'd sit down with investigators. This is only speculation but I think it possible he borrowed an older vehicle sans GPS to transport SM. MOO

Last edited:
I've long believed that somebody could have inadvertently helped BM. For example, looking at the list of individuals BM is ordered not to have contact with is one former employee that was I think may have been so fearful of BM that he was determined to wait until BM was arrested and incarcerated before he'd sit down with investigators. This is only speculation but I think it possible he borrowed an older vehicle sans GPS to transport SM. MOO
If we were to hear that BM did in fact arrange to borrow a vehicle that night, it would be game over.

It wouldn't matter if nothing was found forensically; it would provide the missing piece (how he transported the body).

It would be inexplicable, contrary to his accounts of that night, and the very definition of the word "damning."

They had the perfect night, and went to bed after having a delicious one plate steak dinner (as one does). It was basically their honeymoon all over again, the fact that she wanted a divorce and hated his guts, notwithstanding.

Then he borrows a truck...

If we were to hear that BM did in fact arrange to borrow a vehicle that night, it would be game over.

It wouldn't matter if nothing was found forensically; it would provide the missing piece.

It would be inexplicable, contrary to his accounts of that night, and the very definition of the word "damning."

They had the perfect night, and went to bed after having a delicious one plate steak dinner. It was basically their honeymoon all over again, the fact that she wanted a divorce, notwithstanding.

Then he borrows a truck...
We know MG stated in an early on interview that she heard BM’s truck in the 4 am ish timeframe the morning of Mother’s Day. She also said his truck has a very distinct and recognizable sound. She feared for her safety following that disclosure and moved away to SD I believe. She clearly was afraid and IMO because Barry had not been arrested yet made a wise choice to get the hell out if dodge. IIRC she stated specifically that she was afraid of Barry and never wanted to see him again. He used her the way he uses all the women in his life. IMO

I've long believed that somebody could have inadvertently helped BM. For example, looking at the list of individuals BM is ordered not to have contact with is one former employee that I think may have been so fearful of BM that he was determined to wait until BM was arrested and incarcerated before he'd sit down with investigators. This is only speculation but I think it possible he borrowed an older vehicle sans GPS to transport SM. MOO
Thats a page from Fotis Dulos playbook.
Staged burglary gone bad, uses employees old vehicle.

Thats a page from Fotis Dulos playbook.
Staged burglary gone bad, uses employees old vehicle.
Exactly! Power and control and it’s not limited to families.
Based on the aa he stated many times “they won’t find evidence in my truck.” Always made me think his truck wasn’t involved, it’s mind boggling
upon further thinking he may have borrowed a truck either willingly or unknowingly. Lots of landscaping and other trades leave open access to extra vehicles and devices. The folks at the river site stated as much and MG was certain she heard Barry’s truck outside her house early morning hours of MD. Did he have a key to her or her significant others vehicle? Hopefully we will learn more at trial but likely not before. Burn Barry Burn. IMO

Here a quick synopsis by media. Motions hearings near dates are Jan 24 and 25. Moving it up to allow more time sorta kills the theories that defense is looking for ways to delay in my opinion. Barry Morphew requests new trial date, change of venue in wife's murder case | FOX31 Denver

Barry wants this to end. jmho Perhaps he's got more dear to kill and antlers to gather. Reckon he's been sweating darts bullets when going over all of the finer points as we've been doing here for months?

Legally, Barry is pushing the envelope again. Venue Change. Doubt that happens. It's very expensive but could be done to protect rights but his haven't been infringed. I hope the Big D does play those 3 30 hours of FBI tapes recordings of Barry.

He wants to be able to travel to visit her girls. Too bad. They didn't decide to live in Salida while their father's on trial for killing their mother. They reside outside of Chaffee County and that is not a condition allowed by his bond orders from the court. ajmoo

The defense for Barry Morphew, a Chaffee County man charged with the murder of his wife, requested that he be allowed to visit his daughters among other requests on Wednesday.
<>
His defense attorneys submitted a list of requests including a change of venue, moving the trial date up by a week to April 25 and a modification to his bond orders.

Barry Morphew requests new trial date, change of venue in wife's murder case | FOX31 Denver

Here a quick synopsis by media. Motions hearings near dates are Jan 24 and 25. Moving it up to allow more time sorta kills the theories that defense is looking for ways to delay in my opinion. Barry Morphew requests new trial date, change of venue in wife's murder case | FOX31 Denver
Who said the defense is trying to delay the trial? I think the possibility of finding Suzanne's body is more important than the trial date, don't you? The defense, imo, may be pushing the date due to Barry's depleting funds available (in the US, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member