Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he ran around chasing her with a dart gun either.

Then why did he admit to running around the house with a loaded .22? Running around the house firing his gun?

Why'd he say he'd fired a tranquilizer in Colorado after saying he hadn't and placed that action in the breezeway adjacent to Suzanne's last known location and the mudroom where the sheath was found?

JMO but of all the targets in the story -- chipmunks and Suzanne, only the chipmunks were safe that day.

JMO

Do you think he ran around shooting at chipmunks?

Genuinely interested to know.
Sure I totally believe he shot chipmunks...they can be an absolute nuisance. Both can chomp your car wiring and get through miniscule holes..can testify to that. My husband doesn't hunt, but he has a 22 for critters and protection against bears. I just don't buy that he was racing around like a madmen shooting darts at his wife. So we'll see how the testimony and cross plays out if prosecution "sticks" with that theory.

Sure I totally believe he shot chipmunks...they can be an absolute nuisance. Both can chomp your car wiring and get through miniscule holes..can testify to that. My husband doesn't hunt, but he has a 22 for critters and protection against bears. I just don't buy that he was racing around like a madmen shooting darts at his wife. So we'll see how the testimony and cross plays out if prosecution "sticks" with that theory.
One does not chase chipmunks to hunt them. You walk slowly, and then stand still.

It is not a frantic event.

What happened in the backyard was frantic, as Barry admits. Then his phone goes into airplane mode...

This is a really easy puzzle.

Sure I totally believe he shot chipmunks...they can be an absolute nuisance. Both can chomp your car wiring and get through miniscule holes..can testify to that.
Shooting at chipmunks per se I wasnt querying. I believe he is disgusting enough to do that, sure. What I am wondering, is if anyone genuinely believes he was running around the house while Suzanne was... what, exactly?...shooting a gun off. Randomly, at chipmunks, in that exact location at that exact time.

I only ask as to me that sounds totally insane, but maybe thats just me.

This makes me laugh every time I read it (page 2).

“Since January 2021, Barry has admitted to: chasing a chipmunk with a gun around the house while Susan was outside sunbathing, shooting a deer with a tranquilizer dart to explain a dart and needle cap in the dryer, disposing of the tranquilizer solution during this trip to Broomfield, following a bull elk down Highway 50 in the 4:00 AM hour on the May 10th to explain why his truck would be headed west (where [a] helmet was discarded), and finally stating to the FBI on April 22, 2021 that he looks guilty from the evidence and God allowed these things to happen.”

He was also creeping around the backyard looking for a long dead turkey, shared a plate at dinner, had a perfect night, a perfect marriage, and he deleted incriminating texts in case his daughters looked at his phone, which is something they never did.

One of the questions to potential jurors should be, "have you ever sent money to the son of the deposed King of Nigeria?"

Last edited:
Update on docket - new date is 2/24 for motion for new trial hearing (want to move it to 4/25) & status hearings added on 1/24, 1/25 & 2/1 & 2/24 for voter fraud.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
1/24/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2
1/24/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

1/25/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2
1/25/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

2/1/22
9:30 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2
2/1/22
9:30 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

2/24/22
9:00 AM 5Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motn for New Trial Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2
2/24/22
9:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

4/7/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

4/8/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Pre-Trial Conference D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

5/3/22
8:00 AM 1D IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

thru

6/1/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

This makes me laugh every time I read it (page 2).

“Since January 2021, Barry has admitted to: chasing a chipmunk with a gun around the house while Susan was outside sunbathing, shooting a deer with a tranquilizer dart to explain a dart and needle cap in the dryer, disposing of the tranquilizer solution during this trip to Broomfield, following a bull elk down Highway 50 in the 4:00 AM hour on the May 10th to explain why his truck would be headed west (where [a] helmet was discarded), and finally stating to the FBI on April 22, 2021 that he looks guilty from the evidence and God allowed these things to happen.”

He was also creeping around the backyard looking for a long dead turkey, shared a plate at dinner, had a perfect night, a perfect marriage, and he deleted incriminating texts in case his daughters looked at his phone, which is something they never did.

One of the questions to potential jurors should be, "have you ever sent money to the son of the deposed King of Nigeria?"
Another personal favourite of mine - opted to work Mother's Day, but actually spent minutes on site and after loitering for a free "gourmet" breakfast and blitzing some random trash runs, appears to have spent the best part of the day in a strange hotel room asleep.

Another personal favourite of mine - opted to work Mother's Day, but actually spent minutes on site and after loitering for a free "gourmet" breakfast and blitzing some random trash runs, appears to have spent the best part of the day in a strange hotel room asleep.
And lied about it...

I challenge anyone to give a plausible explanation as to why Barry would lie, not only about doing work, but where he was when that life changing phone call was made.

You can't do it.

Which means that in order to believe Barry is innocent, you'd have to simply ignore one of the most damning pieces of evidence against him.

I admit I had hoped for more from the AA. When y’all lay it out, all of the lies, statistics, possibilities, it is clear that Barry was the perpetrator of the crime. It’s the unexplained, the holes, that give me pause. I know trials are nothing like we see on tv shows. I want a solid narrative of the days surrounding Suzanne’s disappearance. I don’t want to be left with more questions than answers. I want to hear that Barry could have murdered Suzanne, leaving no trace of of her, and disposed of her in the time frame that they have pinpointed. All of the other evidence points to Barry-the Broomfield run and the way he acted afterward points toward his guilt. I would need to feel confident in the prosecution’s theory of what happened from when Barry got home Saturday afternoon, until he left early Sunday morning. That would seal the deal for me as a juror. All other roads lead to Barry.

For me, I don't think the prosecution needs to know EXACTLY what happened to her. They don't have a body so I don't think they will hammer too close into a set narrative because the defense can then pick it apart and say that isn't how it happened. What is very telling is the cell data that shows her previous history of being on the phone, using apps, texting, calling, etc. Then having his exact location and hers, then silence forever and ever after that. If it was common for them to put their phones away and have a quiet evening, having dinner, sex, a walk, whatever it was he said they did.... then that would be one thing, but we have a trail that says she wanted a divorce and told him that, she was on various apps with her secret lover, and then just didn't respond again and the only person that has admitted to being with her during that time with cell data to back it up, is Barry.

I'd be interested to see how other no body cases were presented. If an exact narrative is presented or if it's more vague, but knowing the last person to be with them was likely the person and just presenting the circumstantial evidence that put them there and the motive was enough.

He outlined three possible scenarios: Barry Morphew killed his wife, someone else killed her or she disappeared on her own.

Hope I did that right. I have never quoted just part of post before. :)

I think most can easily rule out her running off on her own. She took nothing with her, told not a single person she was leaving, had daughters, an oncology follow up appt., etc. Seems she was not fleeing her life, but instead was ready to take it back and leave her controlling husband.

Now for the someone else theory.. then we are to believe that someone else came in the house and took her sometime after Barry and her had some date? She woke up on Mothers Day and did not check her phone, call anyone, text anyone, use any apps, then just went for a bike ride and was taken? Or was taken from inside the house, but zero evidence was there that an intruder came in and did anything violent in the home.. it's just too much to believe I think. If there were signs of a struggle at all, maybe I could see that being an alternative the defense could use. I know the defense doesn't have to prove an alternative theory, but with as much evidence they have of Barry lying and disposing of things, being very suspicious on Mothers Day of all days.. they need to have more than partial DNA hit inside her car. I mean the other person would have had 12 hours to harm her, clean it all up, get rid of her, and leave no trace of themselves (expect the partial hit in the glovebox).. if this person was unknown why clean it all up? Why stage her bike? She definitely wasn't riding her bike because she didn't take her water that was in the car and friends have said she drives to a trail anyway.. so it just isn't going to add up.

I think most can easily rule out her running off on her own. She took nothing with her, told not a single person she was leaving, had daughters, an oncology follow up appt., etc. Seems she was not fleeing her life, but instead was ready to take it back and leave her controlling husband.

Now for the someone else theory.. then we are to believe that someone else came in the house and took her sometime after Barry and her had some date? She woke up on Mothers Day and did not check her phone, call anyone, text anyone, use any apps, then just went for a bike ride and was taken? Or was taken from inside the house, but zero evidence was there that an intruder came in and did anything violent in the home.. it's just too much to believe I think. If there were signs of a struggle at all, maybe I could see that being an alternative the defense could use. I know the defense doesn't have to prove an alternative theory, but with as much evidence they have of Barry lying and disposing of things, being very suspicious on Mothers Day of all days.. they need to have more than partial DNA hit inside her car. I mean the other person would have had 12 hours to harm her, clean it all up, get rid of her, and leave no trace of themselves (expect the partial hit in the glovebox).. if this person was unknown why clean it all up? Why stage her bike? She definitely wasn't riding her bike because she didn't take her water that was in the car and friends have said she drives to a trail anyway.. so it just isn't going to add up.

Don't forget MH2 at the scene telling investigators that Suzanne didn't even ride the trails around the house because they were too advanced and she was still a novice.

For me, I don't think the prosecution needs to know EXACTLY what happened to her. They don't have a body so I don't think they will hammer too close into a set narrative because the defense can then pick it apart and say that isn't how it happened. What is very telling is the cell data that shows her previous history of being on the phone, using apps, texting, calling, etc. Then having his exact location and hers, then silence forever and ever after that. If it was common for them to put their phones away and have a quiet evening, having dinner, sex, a walk, whatever it was he said they did.... then that would be one thing, but we have a trail that says she wanted a divorce and told him that, she was on various apps with her secret lover, and then just didn't respond again and the only person that has admitted to being with her during that time with cell data to back it up, is Barry.

I'd be interested to see how other no body cases were presented. If an exact narrative is presented or if it's more vague, but knowing the last person to be with them was likely the person and just presenting the circumstantial evidence that put them there and the motive was enough.

I think the prosecution case will boil down to one key moment.

Was SM really in bed snoring, when BM left early that morning? The web of circumstantial evidence is arranged around that question.

If there is no reasonable possibility she was there, and BM is lying, then the only available inference is that BM is guilty of murder.

IMO there is no reasonable possibility she was alive in bed at that time.

I think the prosecution case will boil down to one key moment.

Was SM really in bed snoring, when BM left early that morning? The web of circumstantial evidence is arranged around that question.

If there is no reasonable possibility she was there, and BM is lying, then the only available inference is that BM is guilty of murder.

IMO there is no reasonable possibility she was alive in bed at that time.
Exactly. Long before Barry was charged, I kept going on about Suzanne's cell phone showing no activity after Barry left the house that morning.

Even without knowing the evidence, that had to be true in order for Barry to be a suspect, which the behavior of law enforcement indicated.

Of course that turned out to be the case.

Suzanne's phone turned off when Barry was still present. It initially went dark (showed no activity) when he arrived home that fateful afternoon.

It's unbelievably damning.

Staging is always the biggest mistake because it shows the hand of the murderer.

Staging is always the biggest mistake because it shows the hand of the murderer.
Yup. The only reason to stage evidence like that, is to direct the attention of law enforcement away from where it would otherwise look.

Prove the staging, and the killer is staring you in the face.

The closest I could find was Cal Harris...and he was tried a few times before a judge said enough and acquitted him saving him from further prosecution by the prosecutor. And in that case they did find a touch of blood in the kitchen, but could have been natural from a cut. No other evidence she died in the house, on the property. They were talking about divorce, they were wealthy and they were living together but she had boyfriends. They never found a body, but eventually found what they think might have been items of her clothing burned at another location. What finally spared him, was some later testimony from someone who had seen her at the end of their driveway talking to a man but he always maintained his innocence and also always proclaimed that LE zeroed in on him without exploring any other options. At the end he filed in federal court for malicious prosecution. It's an interesting case with lots of additional details...but the closest I found to this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo