Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is devastating. It was really hard on my Mom because like you, she loved my Dad with every bit of her soul, and he felt just the same. They were truly in LOVE.

Now, in her 90's, she misses him very much, but she says she realises how blessed she was to have such a wonderful loving husband and it is comforting to have had that long loving marriage. She still feels his presence she says....

Yes, you have to go through the stages....:(
I'm so sorry for you and your mom. It is very true about being truly in love. We became co-dependent with each other. My husband was a fantastic guy, respected in the community in CT for something he did for himself. He was in AA and did not drink for 43 years. He helped so many other alcoholics over the years. He spoke at prisons in CT and New York, bad prisons. I was ready to divorce him. Our son was 6 months old when he did. He never touched another drop of alcohol. He lived his life his way, but not selfishly. He was a very generous guy. I miss him so very much. It's hard. It's like a rug has been yanked from underneath me. My son and I feel his presence in double numbers. Not sure what that means except we know he's here with us. He was a numbers man. The grief is overwhelming at times.

Last edited:
Before the AA, I thought the odds were great that the bobcat was involved. Despite the dog hits however, the evidence just doesn't seem to support its involvement (gps info).

I'd still like a more detailed explanation though.
I agree. There was definitely a feeling that the state was in a rush to shut down any talk of the bobcat. I got the feeling they would have been happier not to talk about it at all.

IMO he wasn't asking, "Did you leave me for good?" IMO he was asking if she'd left the house. I think he thought she might've left for her AFTERNOON BIKE RIDE. (Which is exactly what I happen to think she was preparing to do. In the afternoon. When she typically did. Finished up with the sunbathing, finished up with JL, took her brown towel inside, hung up her bikini, showered, and changed into her biking clothes.)

I think he hoped she hadn't left yet. Because, well, he had other plans.

Tranquilizer. Dart.

Noun. Verb.

JMO
Which makes sense because the cameras at the hotel showed he was carrying something teal. I think it was Suzanne's jacket.

JMO

Agreed but based in the 80 plus opening and closings of the truck doors that night what was he doing? Cleaning? Doubtful because he still had a trunk full of crap when the cops showed up. Seriously what would require so much truck door activity unless he was packing up everything of Suzanne’s to ditch it as if she left? Did he take and trash most of her things except what he could burn at home snd what would legit point to her putting away her bikini. Wth is the brown towel? So much activity for a man exhausted after sex and a shared plate of steak who left his wife naked and lightly snoring. What are we missing?

The only explanation I can think of is that he lost something possibly frantically going in between the house and truck looking for it

The only explanation I can think of is that he lost something possibly frantically going in between the house and truck looking for it
hmmm perhaps that damning incriminating needle sheath? Funny how things end up in the lint trap of a dryer and tell the story. He didn’t recall if the 22 was in his truck when he returned home but he did admit he had the scope attached. He didn’t lose his 22 he just misplaced incriminating evidence. Oh Barry… I like your thought and IMO makes sense. thanks!

I agree. There was definitely a feeling that the state was in a rush to shut down any talk of the bobcat. I got the feeling they would have been happier not to talk about it at all.
Could this have been because prosecutors knew relevance but didn’t want it yet disclosed? Perhaps until forensics were in etc? TIA.

I owe many of you a response for your condolences and I will do that later or tomorrow. I'm wiped out and so tired I'm going to try to get some sleep. My brain isn't working great right now, either. All of you are so kind, you're very special to me in my heart. Goodnight WSers.

Before the AA, I thought the odds were great that the bobcat was involved. Despite the dog hits however, the evidence just doesn't seem to support its involvement (gps info).

I'd still like a more detailed explanation though.
Barry, having been in contact with Suzanne’s body, could have transferred decomp to the Bobcat.

I’d like to know if LE photographed and measured the footprint, swabbed for DNA, etc. If they didn’t, the Defense will be all over it, criticizing LE’s handling of the scene. I wouldn’t put it past them to try to tie it in with the DNA on the glovebox in Suzanne’s car, “We’ll never know who murdered Suzanne because LE didn’t investigate thoroughly.” A leap, to be sure, but they’ll grab on to anything that might muddy the waters.

Stressed and feeling guilty.

IMO he loves that Bobcat. He’s like a little boy with his Tonka truck.

I recall reading that the Bobcat had a new blade but that makes the bare feet in the bucket even stranger. Someone changing a blade would not stand in the bucket barefoot, would they? Whose feet were they?

RBBM

I think they were Barry's feet.

I've watched one or two videos showing how to operate Bobcats. They show the user stepping onto the Bobcat attachment (the blade in Barry's case), grasping the "grab" handles and then entering the cab.

From Page 41 of the AA:

All three K-9s again alerted on the Bobcat, and one of the K-9s jumped into the Bobcat and tried to lay down on the driver's seat. The Bobcat located on the Morphew's property is identified as a 2018 Bobcat Compact Skid Steer, Model#
S590 and product identification number AR9Rl8813 . The flatbed trailer and Bobcat Skid Steer are parked directly next to each other.

If the Bobcat was not involved in Suzanne's disappearance, I believe Barry placed her there temporarily, then moved her to whatever method of transportation he used to disappear her.

And the bare feet? We watched Barry trash a pair of boots (without laces) on one of his recorded trash runs.

All the above - MOO.

I owe many of you a response for your condolences and I will do that later or tomorrow. I'm wiped out and so tired I'm going to try to get some sleep. My brain isn't working great right now, either. All of you are so kind, you're very special to me in my heart. Goodnight WSers.

Understood.

Please take care of yourself.

RBBM

I think they were Barry's feet.

I've watched one or two videos showing how to operate Bobcats. They show the user stepping onto the Bobcat attachment (the blade in Barry's case), grasping the "grab" handles and then entering the cab.

From Page 41 of the AA:

If the Bobcat was not involved in Suzanne's disappearance, I believe Barry placed her there temporarily, then moved her to whatever method of transportation he used to disappear her.

And the bare feet? We watched Barry trash a pair of boots (without laces) on one of his recorded trash runs.

All the above - MOO.

Hadn't considered that it's Barry's foot. I've been thinking that he put her on the trailer at some point.

So many unanswered questions.

I admit I had hoped for more from the AA. When y’all lay it out, all of the lies, statistics, possibilities, it is clear that Barry was the perpetrator of the crime. It’s the unexplained, the holes, that give me pause. I know trials are nothing like we see on tv shows. I want a solid narrative of the days surrounding Suzanne’s disappearance. I don’t want to be left with more questions than answers. I want to hear that Barry could have murdered Suzanne, leaving no trace of of her, and disposed of her in the time frame that they have pinpointed. All of the other evidence points to Barry-the Broomfield run and the way he acted afterward points toward his guilt. I would need to feel confident in the prosecution’s theory of what happened from when Barry got home Saturday afternoon, until he left early Sunday morning. That would seal the deal for me as a juror. All other roads lead to Barry.

I admit I had hoped for more from the AA. When y’all lay it out, all of the lies, statistics, possibilities, it is clear that Barry was the perpetrator of the crime. It’s the unexplained, the holes, that give me pause. I know trials are nothing like we see on tv shows. I want a solid narrative of the days surrounding Suzanne’s disappearance. I don’t want to be left with more questions than answers. I want to hear that Barry could have murdered Suzanne, leaving no trace of of her, and disposed of her in the time frame that they have pinpointed. All of the other evidence points to Barry-the Broomfield run and the way he acted afterward points toward his guilt. I would need to feel confident in the prosecution’s theory of what happened from when Barry got home Saturday afternoon, until he left early Sunday morning. That would seal the deal for me as a juror. All other roads lead to Barry.
It is interesting for sure. I'm not as convinced that what happened "after" the dates that prosecution targeted are as important because they could have been the actions of a man who felt targeted...which he was. The desire to liquidate and leave could easily have been precipitated by the public pressures and LE pressures as easily as it could have been precipitated by feelings of guilt. For me, the only action that resulted from what happened during the following year was the fear by local law enforcement that he would move and they would have to find and extradite him which would have been a PIA for LE but certainly doable and the arrest just accelerated the chain of events that leads to trial. The prosecution needs to prove intent and that is the most important aspect of the case in my opinion. Motive is not needed, intent is for a criminal prosecution.

Where did Suzanne think Barry was while he was searching for the decadent turkey?

She knew he was coming home, she knew he left again (guess who's alone again) but what was her understanding of his movements?

I doubt veggie soup ever happened....

I hope that Barry's decision to sit down and enjoy a nice steak resulted in cadaverine build up...

My shaky timeline

All dependent on whether he was able to discharge the dart. Whether he overdosed it, trusted the science, kept her sedated, etc.

As I've proposed earlier, the combination of the cracked entry and the arm scratches suggest to me his plan went sideways. No need to get within arm's reach unless he had no other choice.

By 4:44 I think precious Suzanne was deceased.

Between 4:44 and 10:30, I think he'd prepared his overnight plan. Set the stage at home. Did laundry, remade the primary bed or didn't, burned papers and the journal and capped it off with the steak, confident he'd thought of everything.

Possible he hid her between 5 and 10 and the steak was his reward. Hungry man.

But I think he did his DIRTiest work between 10:30 pm and 3:30 am. And it took every minute of it.

JMO

^^bbm

Murphy said there is probable cause Barry Morphew might have murdered his wife and that he had motivation to do so, but the judge also noted that probable cause is the lowest standard of proof in the criminal justice system, Denver television station KUSA-TV reported.

“Is it possible Mr. Morphew would be convicted? Yes,” the judge said. “Is it fairly likely he would be convicted? … This case could go either way in front of a jury.”

He outlined three possible scenarios: Barry Morphew killed his wife, someone else killed her or she disappeared on her own.

[..]

Meanwhile, Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent Joseph Cahill testified during the preliminary hearing that a partial DNA profile created from male DNA left on Suzanne Morphew’s glovebox matched profiles developed in unsolved sexual assault cases in Chicago, Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona. DNA from Barry Morphew was not found in the DNA sample, according to his lawyers.

Case against Barry Morphew charged in wife’s death advances

In ruling there was probable cause BM might have murdered his wife, Judge Murphy went on to say that SM was a devoted mother and not likely she left on her own.

IMO, it was the partial DNA profile found on the glovebox that left the window open for someone else to be the killer, and the prosecution has to use their best experts to clearly explain how partial DNA is not to be confused with DNA match as seen on TV. I think understanding the partial DNA profile evidence (and how BM's DNA is absent) will remove any doubt that there was no other killer here but her husband.

Personally, I've not placed too much weight on the footprint in the bucket. The blade work was done at DSi on a Saturday -- not exactly a workday by construction shop standards and it would not surprise me if an employee had his kids with him on Saturday that resulted in somebody standing inside the bucket.

I also find it strange that there's no mention at all of testing a visible footprint for DNA. For some reason, LE was not moved by the footprint. MOO
Agree. The blade was brand new and your suggestion is certainly viable about the shop.

Where did Suzanne think Barry was while he was searching for the decadent turkey?

She knew he was coming home, she knew he left again (guess who's alone again) but what was her understanding of his movements?

I doubt veggie soup ever happened....

I hope that Barry's decision to sit down and enjoy a nice steak resulted in cadaverine build up...

My shaky timeline

All dependent on whether he was able to discharge the dart. Whether he overdosed it, trusted the science, kept her sedated, etc.

As I've proposed earlier, the combination of the cracked entry and the arm scratches suggest to me his plan went sideways. No need to get within arm's reach unless he had no other choice.

By 4:44 I think precious Suzanne was deceased.

Between 4:44 and 10:30, I think he'd prepared his overnight plan. Set the stage at home. Did laundry, remade the primary bed or didn't, burned papers and the journal and capped it off with the steak, confident he'd thought of everything.

Possible he hid her between 5 and 10 and the steak was his reward. Hungry man.

But I think he did his DIRTiest work between 10:30 pm and 3:30 am. And it took every minute of it.

JMO
I'm not one who thinks he chased her around and shot her with a dart so interested to see if prosecution holds to that theory for trial. I also have never gotten the impression they were a couple who knew what each other was doing or where they were every moment of the day. In fact there is more anecdotal info that they were somewhat secretive about their comings and goings other than the "normal" day to day, what time are we eating etc. etc.

I'm not one who thinks he chased her around and shot her with a dart so interested to see if prosecution holds to that theory for trial. I also have never gotten the impression they were a couple who knew what each other was doing or where they were every moment of the day. In fact there is more anecdotal info that they were somewhat secretive about their comings and goings other than the "normal" day to day, what time are we eating etc. etc.
Barry basically admits to it. He puts a gun in his hands, and confesses to a frantic event in the backyard.

No one jumps out of their truck, runs to the backyard, and shoots chipmunks.

If they do, they don't suddenly remember it many months later (one example of many, where his story changed multiple times to fit the evidence).

They don't have a syringe sheath in their dryer, and admit to lesser crimes (guilty people do this all the time though).

If anyone believes Barry ever shot deer that wandered up to his house with a tranquilizer gun, I have a bridge to sell you.

They don't admit to possibly disposing of tranquilizer solution during multiple bizarre trash dumps.

Last edited:
I don't think he ran around chasing her with a dart gun either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo