Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a gentle reminder that we are not privy to what the state and their prosecutors know. Additional time buys us the possibility that Suzanne’s remains have or will be found. IMO
Never lose hope and let’s continue to fight like Suzanne did. IMO
Of course. The comments floating around accuse defense of doing things to cause delays. I have always been of the position that Prosecution jumped the gun because they didn’t want to deal with extradition. We don’t know if delaying the arrest would have given them time to tighten up their case, find Suzanne, find evidence and it is moot.

The condition change has just been requested not granted. It is a long drive and over a mountain pass so understand why he would not like his daughters doing that frequently in winter. I give it 50/50 it will be granted. If it is granted he would probably need to notify someone when he intends to drive.
It would be interesting to know, how often they had seen each other before Suzanne's disappearing. MM1 at Gunnison for reasons; afaik MM2 at her boyfriend's home for different reasons. So I think, BM and daughters didn't meet many times and maybe during winter understandably a bit more seldom. IMO, BM needs to continue to influence the two girls and is seeking consolation for his "difficult fate", poor man. He certainly doesn't want to spare his girls the dangerous journey out of sheer fatherly love. NOT Barry of all men. MOO

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know, how often they had seen each other before Suzanne's disappearing. MM1 at Gunnison for reasons; afaik MM2 at her boxfriend's home for different reasons. So I think, BM and daughters didn't meet many times and maybe during winter understandably a bit more seldom. IMO, BM needs to continue to influence the two girls and is seeking consolation for his "difficult fate", poor man. He certainly doesn't want to spare his girls the dangerous journey out of sheer fatherly love. NOT Barry of all men. MOO
Where is it known that MM2 was at BF’s house prior to Suzanne going missing? Can you include a citation? I did not know that fact and yes it would be important I think if true.

A few of you, my dear Websleuth "cousins", have referred to the possibility of Barry having help in the disappearing of Suzanne. May I ask who you were thinking of, apart from maybe SD?
Simple one of his most dependent acquaintances for example. Someone, who would believe his lies, why he needed a car for a short time, probably by night. Business might have been the untrue reason, because he is so a very busy bee, as he said himself. Perhaps Suzanne's nephew, who named Barry only "the husband" in the case of his missing aunt. MG perhaps or an acquaintance of her. A FF's car perhaps (from children, from wife, from FF himself). A neighbour. Constructing workers/bosses. A craftsman. A gym pal. A hunting friend. Someone, who visited from Indiana. (If the church camping trip was planned, then the days before could have been planned as well.)

The black container below was a tree pot. Hence the interest in trees. Did Barry plant a tree on top of her in a auger hole? While I see the auger as a valid theory, it's too much work for Barry and we know his movements for the proceeding two days so he would have had to prepare a site before the 8th. I'm not 100% on the dates, but I'm reasonably certain that LE pulled data from Barry's phone as far back as November. Barry is the king of airplane mode, but I don't know when he would have had the opportunity to go dig a hole in some remote location between the 6th and the 9th.

At 12:38 PM, Barry placed bags, a black container and clothing from his truck beside the curb near the hotel lobby (see photos below). He then walked to his truck, appeared to pick up a small item from inside, picked up the trash bag, coat and container and walked towards the dumpsters at the end of the lot.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2021/11/AA_Text_html_485c6343.png​
Agree a prepared augur hole would be likely too much noisy odd work in the days before 5/9.
MOO I have a question of did he do work on the stairs area at any time after they moved there.
He might have prepared a deep hidey hole for many reasons, then ultimately used it to cover up a murder.

For me, I don't think the prosecution needs to know EXACTLY what happened to her. They don't have a body so I don't think they will hammer too close into a set narrative because the defense can then pick it apart and say that isn't how it happened. What is very telling is the cell data that shows her previous history of being on the phone, using apps, texting, calling, etc. Then having his exact location and hers, then silence forever and ever after that. If it was common for them to put their phones away and have a quiet evening, having dinner, sex, a walk, whatever it was he said they did.... then that would be one thing, but we have a trail that says she wanted a divorce and told him that, she was on various apps with her secret lover, and then just didn't respond again and the only person that has admitted to being with her during that time with cell data to back it up, is Barry.

I'd be interested to see how other no body cases were presented. If an exact narrative is presented or if it's more vague, but knowing the last person to be with them was likely the person and just presenting the circumstantial evidence that put them there and the motive was enough.
RBBM for focus
It was enough in the no body case of Laura Babcock, which when I did a search on probability of coincidence/murder, LB’s case popped up.
Not so much the circumstances of and leading up to LB’s disappearance murder that reminded me of this case, rather the fact that it was mostly the digital forensics on the perps’ and LB’s cell phones which in the end, did them in and imo will have a large part to do with what does BM in. And what the prosecutor’s closed with at trial in LB’s case that really stood out that imo could be similar to what the prosecution weaves into their closing at BM’s trial:

Too many coincidences to be anything but murder, prosecution says in closing argument at Babcock trial

It doesn’t matter how (Millard and Smich) killed her. We will never know

The prosecution in the first-degree murder trial of Dellen Millard and Mark Smich gave its closing argument by going over a “mountain” of circumstantial evidence in the presumed death of 23-year-old Laura Babcock.

Her
last footprint was in their company. Think about the improbability of coincidence. It’s almost too many to count,said Crown attorney Jill Cameron.
That is no coincidence, that is murder.”

*LB’s case also had one of the perps try to say someone saw Laura after the fact which was false, just like early on BM claimed that 2 people saw Suzanne on Sunday. Also, the defense in LB’s case which one of the arrogant evil perps represented himself, produced a witness that claimed to have spoken to Laura on the phone after the fact, yet LB phone records proved call wasn’t answered, went to voicemail. There may be a similar claim in this case, and SM’s phone records have proven otherwise, which we won’t find out if is the case until trial.

At any rate, as others have pointed out, no body cases based solely on circumstantial evidence can and have been prosecuted successfully, ended in guilty verdict and conviction- Laura Babcock, Kelsey Berreth, Kelsie Schelling, Yingying Zhang. Those are just a few of the more recent high profile ones. Barring Suzanne’s remains being found prior to trial, IMO I think it’s highly likely her name will be added to the list of successfully prosecuted no body cases.

Too many coincidences to be anything but murder, prosecution says in closing argument at Babcock trial | National Post

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Unless it was just a jumpy cell phone data issue. I am very curious to hear a technical expert at trial on the accuracy of this data. The running around rapidly theory all over the place is probably my least favorite theory so far but I have said that before.
He admits to it!

Are you calling Barry a liar?

RBBM for focus
It was enough in the no body case of Laura Babcock, which when I did a search on probability of coincidence/murder, LB’s case popped up.
Not so much the circumstances of and leading up to LB’s disappearance murder that reminded me of this case, rather the fact that it was mostly the digital forensics on the perps’ and LB’s cell phones which in the end, did them in and imo will have a large part to do with what does BM in. And what the prosecutor’s closed with at trial in LB’s case that really stood out that imo could be similar to what the prosecution weaves into their closing at BM’s trial:

Too many coincidences to be anything but murder, prosecution says in closing argument at Babcock trial

It doesn’t matter how (Millard and Smich) killed her. We will never know

The prosecution in the first-degree murder trial of Dellen Millard and Mark Smich gave its closing argument by going over a “mountain” of circumstantial evidence in the presumed death of 23-year-old Laura Babcock.

Her
last footprint was in their company. Think about the improbability of coincidence. It’s almost too many to count,said Crown attorney Jill Cameron.
That is no coincidence, that is murder.”

*LB’s case also had one of the perps try to say someone saw Laura after the fact which was false, just like early on BM claimed that 2 people saw Suzanne on Sunday. Also, the defense in LB’s case which one of the arrogant evil perps represented himself, produced a witness that claimed to have spoken to Laura on the phone after the fact, yet LB phone records proved call wasn’t answered, went to voicemail. There may be a similar claim in this case, and SM’s phone records have proven otherwise, which we won’t find out if is the case until trial.

At any rate, as others have pointed out, no body cases based solely on circumstantial evidence can and have been prosecuted successfully, ended in guilty verdict and conviction- Laura Babcock, Kelsey Berreth, Kelsie Schelling, Yingying Zhang. Those are just a few of the more recent high profile ones. Barring Suzanne’s remains being found prior to trial, IMO I think it’s highly likely her name will be added to the list of successfully prosecuted no body cases.

Too many coincidences to be anything but murder, prosecution says in closing argument at Babcock trial | National Post

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
Not sure I see the similarities to this case but it is a good example of a no body case agreed.

Agree a prepared augur hole would be likely too much noisy odd work in the days before 5/9.
MOO I have a question of did he do work on the stairs area at any time after they moved there.
He might have prepared a deep hidey hole for many reasons, then ultimately used it to cover up a murder.

Any hole in the yard would have left a depression or a mound. It would have been spotted pretty quickly. Barry has a degree in landscaping, he knows how dirt settles so I find it incredibly unlikely that she is anywhere on the PP property. Not using dirt would leave cracks allowing cadaverine to waft across the yard.

He admits to it!

Are you calling Barry a liar?
Haha. Rhetorical question. He probably was moving around I just need to hear more about the timing sequence, location data etc before I buy into the prosecution theory that he was running around chasing Suzanne with a tranquilizer dart. Not there yet on that theory. If they stick with that I can wait for the testimony and cross.

Any hole in the yard would have left a depression or a mound. It would have been spotted pretty quickly. Barry has a degree in landscaping, he knows how dirt settles so I find it incredibly unlikely that she is anywhere on the PP property. Not using dirt would leave cracks allowing cadaverine to waft across the yard.
Yup. She isn’t near the house in my opinion. And even boulders that are freshly placed would be noticeable. Curious about how her body got from the house with no detectable trace of death to wherever she is during the period of time available and not in Barry’s truck or the vehicles that were forensically examined. That is the hole for me that I await for trial to learn.

MOO the depression of graves is due to body shrinkage, MOO that can be managed along cadaverine.
Vanessa Guillen was buried in 3 vertical holes, fairly shallow, given a cap of cement.
Dogs walked literally over her body.

IIRC the dogs at PP did have some indecisive behavior.

Haha. Rhetorical question. He probably was moving around I just need to hear more about the timing sequence, location data etc before I buy into the prosecution theory that he was running around chasing Suzanne with a tranquilizer dart. Not there yet on that theory. If they stick with that I can wait for the testimony and cross.
Barry showed Grusing how he put his phone on airplane mode, and admitted to doing that so Suzanne could not track him.

Immediately after this frantic event concludes, his phone enters airplane mode.

So his phone GPS date is telling investigators a frantic event occurred, Barry admits to a frantic event occurring, and then his phone enters airplane mode for no reason.

Unless there was a perfectly logical reason...

MOO chasing her around, or eunninf around finding her, yes.
Specifically chasing with a tranquilizer gun and dart needs more detail.

Coincidences being what they are, that's a pretty big one -- the same weekend Barry's wife goes missing he suddenly decides to dispose of his tranquilizer materials. In remote trash.

And a sheath found in the sheets, isolated to that same weekend...

Ouch.

JMO

Yup. She isn’t near the house in my opinion. And even boulders that are freshly placed would be noticeable. Curious about how her body got from the house with no detectable trace of death to wherever she is during the period of time available and not in Barry’s truck or the vehicles that were forensically examined. That is the hole for me that I await for trial to learn.

I wrestle with that. We do have a trace, all three dogs hit on the trailer. She was there at some point or he was there covered in cadaverine.

Barry threw a lot of stuff away and I've done a lot of reading and thinking and I don't know what he did. I know to have the volume of stuff he was getting rid of he did something. He didn't create a bloody mess and he cleaned up the cadaverine.

I know that shooting her in the master bathroom doorway from the MBR doorway with a tranq dart fired from the .22 sounds ridiculous, but from the unfired/ejected round I think it's the most likely scenario. He kicked in the door, she was exiting the bathroom to see what the noise was and boom. Maybe she tries to make a run for it, but he's blocking the exit, hence the scratches on his upper arms. In the ruckus, he forgets the ejected round. There was one dart missing from the pack they found in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double