Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on when Suzanne typically made the bed. Barry certainly didn't sleep that night, and Suzanne was alive the previous afternoon.

If she typically made the bed when she woke up, then she made this bed the previous day

If she ran into the bedroom when he was attempting to get in and busted the door down, then maybe the pillows got a bit tossed about during that time? He just tosses them back up on the bed however they fall.

It all depends on when Suzanne typically made the bed. Barry certainly didn't sleep that night, and Suzanne was alive the previous afternoon.

If she typically made the bed when she woke up, then she made this bed the previous day

Agreed. Except I think she was on her back when she made those scratches. On her back. On that bed.

I think Suzanne made it Saturday morning and Barry is just a guy who complains about having to move all of the extra pillows before he gets in to bed.

I do wonder why all of the photos are on Barry's side of the bed, though. The other end table seems bare.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Suzanne's side of the bed.

JMO

Just finished the AA for the second time. I missed this following the first time through.

The increase in activity locations on his phone was higher than his normal on both the 8th and the 9th. It says the 8-9 and 9-10 evenings were much higher activity location wise than the previous nights from May 1 to the 8th.

Also, when he came home veggie soup lunch, he didn't pull into the driveway and instead it seems high phone came in from the east like he was walking and then left that way too and he called her immediately after he left. So did he even talk to her, did she even know he was home during that time or was he sitting in the woods watching her? Was he prepping something off in that location?

He is just one sick person. Who doesn't pull into their driveway and instead parks a ways out and walks in from the woods? Someone trying to sneak up on their spouse or trying to stalk them that's who.

Just finished the AA for the second time. I missed this following the first time through.

The increase in activity locations on his phone was higher than his normal on both the 8th and the 9th. It says the 8-9 and 9-10 evenings were much higher activity location wise than the previous nights from May 1 to the 8th.

Also, when he came home veggie soup lunch, he didn't pull into the driveway and instead it seems high phone came in from the east like he was walking and then left that way too and he called her immediately after he left. So did he even talk to her, did she even know he was home during that time or was he sitting in the woods watching her? Was he prepping something off in that location?

He is just one sick person. Who doesn't pull into their driveway and instead parks a ways out and walks in from the woods? Someone trying to sneak up on their spouse or trying to stalk them that's who.

Same person who did it when SO was visiting.

Of all the natural predators that might live in the Colorado mountains, one stands out.

JMO

If I'm not mistaken, that's Suzanne's side of the bed.

JMO

I don't think we really know. We had a lot of discussion about the glass lamp being more feminine but we were working from real estate listing photos. The image we're discussing is exactly as that room was when Barry left the house on the morning of the 10th. Interestingly, the right side of the room looks unchanged between Suzanne's disappearance and the listing photos after Barry and MM2 had moved to the condo.

Barry said that he owned firearms and all the firearms and ammunition are stored in a locked gun safe in the garage. It should be noted that on May 11, 2020, while law enforcement searched the Morphew residence, two firearms were located at the residence that were not inside a gun safe. A high-powered rifle was located in a closet on the ground floor in a closet. The rifle appeared to be spray-painted in a camouflage pattern and your affiant could not locate a serial number. A Benelli 12-gauge shotgun was found lying against the wall in the garage. Also, a loaded .22 long rifle cartridge was located lying on the floor in the master bedroom near the right side of the bed.12

After your affiant ended the interview with Barry, he was told that law enforcement was going to seize his truck to process it.

Page 7 of 129

I don't think we really know. We had a lot of discussion about the glass lamp being more feminine but we were working from real estate listing photos. The image we're discussing is exactly as that room was when Barry left the house on the morning of the 10th. Interestingly, the right side of the room looks unchanged between Suzanne's disappearance and the listing photos after Barry and MM2 had moved to the condo.

Barry said that he owned firearms and all the firearms and ammunition are stored in a locked gun safe in the garage. It should be noted that on May 11, 2020, while law enforcement searched the Morphew residence, two firearms were located at the residence that were not inside a gun safe. A high-powered rifle was located in a closet on the ground floor in a closet. The rifle appeared to be spray-painted in a camouflage pattern and your affiant could not locate a serial number. A Benelli 12-gauge shotgun was found lying against the wall in the garage. Also, a loaded .22 long rifle cartridge was located lying on the floor in the master bedroom near the right side of the bed.12

After your affiant ended the interview with Barry, he was told that law enforcement was going to seize his truck to process it.

Page 7 of 129

Admittedly I'm guessing but, if the evidence tag 2 marks the bullet, then that's the left side of the bed as one faces it, but technically the right side of the bed, for someone sleeping in it.

In my head, I'm remembering that the bullet was recovered from Suzanne's side of the bed. I think there's a second mention of bullet -- back to the AA I go.

JMO

As far as that dart cap in the dyer and his lawyer’s response to it…it is pretty large. If it somehow was left in the dryer for some time, it would have been heard rumbling around when in use. Suzanne would have noticed it and removed it. Barry isn’t the type to be doing laundry…well, on a regular basis when not trying to cover something up. As far as her DNA on it, my guess is transfer DNA from Barry moving Suzanne, then touching the cap.

Evidence in the Suzanne Morphew case

Barry's defense lawyers counter this cap means nothing because no one could say how long it had been there. Furthermore, they say there is no evidence tying the cap to their client. Suzanne's DNA was found on the cap, not Barry's.

View attachment 330822

I also recall someone saying that the needle cap which later Gusing said was probably not the right terminology but was used interchangeable with sheath during the preliminary and was described as clear plastic and small so I don't think it would have made any sounds and could have been lodged somewhere that they didn't notice the first time they looked in the dryer. I expect if prosecution uses the needle sheath and the door jamb crack there will be strong cross examination since it will be difficult to pinpoint when these actually occurred. The "scratches" will also be controversial as Barry was a landscaper and we'll all seen him working with his upper arms exposed in those infamous muscle tee shirts but the timing of them as far as the healing process can be pretty closely pinpointed I think. They are interesting because they are so short and wider and you think of fingernail scratches as longer deeper at one end and then a trailing line but I suppose if she had long fingernails and grabbed his harm with her hand it could be her second and third finger but... that is the opposite of what you'd expect if you are facing someone and you use your right hand to grab...seems like that is where her thumb would be and the scratches would be more toward the back of the arm.

Last edited:
I picture a little needle cap-not the sheath in the photo. That could not have been in there through multiple laundry loads. Anyone have a needle sheath they can throw in their dryer with a bunch of clothes? I’d love to know if it makes noise, and where it ends up when you pull out the clothes. The bullet on the bedroom floor is a red flag in a very well maintained home. Suzanne wouldn’t have noticed a bullet? Ammo was just strewn around the house?

Did accused husband use chipmunks as his alibi for murder?
By Paul LaRosa

January 21, 2022 / 7:45 AM / CBS News
When Suzanne Morphew, a Colorado mother of two girls, vanished on Mother's Day in May 2020, authorities wondered if she'd been abducted or if her husband Barry — whom she had threatened to divorce — might have killed her.

Investigators never expected the case would have so many bizarre twists and turns and eventually involve a chipmunk alibi, a tranquilizer gun, a "talking" truck, mystery DNA and a spy pen right out of a James Bond film.

"This case is incredibly unique," says Aya Gruber, a law professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder. "When you started to dig a little bit deeper, nothing is what it seems." more at link: Did accused husband use chipmunks as his alibi for murder?

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...-with-focus-on-darts-needle-sheath-trash-runs

Rohrich said investigators found an unspent .22-caliber shell on Suzanne’s side of her bed, along with a Bible and other books. He said her journal was missing but materials similar to the journal were found in the home’s fireplace.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1424854076886552580?s=21
Investigators never found Suzanne Morphew's phone or the charger she leaves plugged in next her bed. So investigators had what was backed up on the iCloud as well as phone records from the phone company. Eytan asked, if Suzanne had a simcard. Harris said no.

Also, didn't Suzanne ask Barry to stop and get the chemicals? Why are they in her car?
^^rsbm

I think it's possible the bottles on the vehicle floor are empty -- SM wanted chemicals for the spa and to change her tires and seemed to me that BM offered to do both (he was love-bombing SM during those days). My personal theory was SM was thinking of the girls and that they might want to use the spa with their guest on Sunday. (SM had bottles with her to remind her of the product name/replacement).

Last edited:
^^bbm

From the CBS news link, the texts are timestamped March 25, 2020, or months prior to SM disappearing.

morphew-12.jpg
Nothing shows the health of a relationship, quite like worrying about what your wife is telling her friends about that relationship.

It's almost as if he had something to hide.

"You better not be telling people the truth!"

or something.

Evidence in the Suzanne Morphew case

There are some really great color photos here, to include the door frame and the scratch marks. And lol, tree branch scratches my *advertiser censored*. The spacing. The thickness. The location. Wow.

View attachment 330813 View attachment 330814 View attachment 330815 View attachment 330816 View attachment 330817 View attachment 330818
Those three tiny scratches, LOL That's laughable. I can't make out the door crack at all.

Those three tiny scratches, LOL That's laughable. I can't make out the door crack at all.

If you click on the thumbnails they get bigger.

Those scratches are a perfect match to fingernail scratches in other murder cases (google it).

That jagged crack goes down the door, right through the locking mechanism.

Zoomed and circled respectively:

C97D0095-8210-4DB5-B67D-9C936BB5EB08.jpeg ACDE57D7-6A2C-4E0D-BBC5-9E3D8017D9C4.jpeg

If you click on the thumbnails they get bigger.

Those scratches are a perfect match to fingernail scratches in other murder cases (google it).

That jagged crack goes down the door, right through the locking mechanism.

Zoomed and circled respectively:

View attachment 330867 View attachment 330868
Thanks, I see the crack in the door now. I don't think the scratches are from fingernails. They are way too narrow, like scratches from a tree branch.

Thanks, I see the crack in the door now. I don't think the scratches are from fingernails. They are way too narrow, like scratches from a tree branch.
Brush scratches are way narrower than that, and don't gauge the skin. They tend to actually run some distance. They also aren't uniform, nor would they be likely to occur in that particular area.

I've been scratched all over the place from various things, and none of them have looked close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper