Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who did he cheat with? I don't believe he ever had an affair with anyone. The only altercation in Indy was a guy he had do something on a job he was doing and the guy did not do it right or something and Barry's reputation was on the line so he got angry at this guy. B & S have zero domestic violence calls. Noone is coming out and saying anything different on this except for the assumptions on here.
BBM
Zero domestic violence calls actually means zilch. Domestic violence goes unreported extensively.

Why do Domestic Violence Victims Stay Silent?

Mod Note:

Several posts have been removed that stemmed from an initial post that was not victim friendly. Keep in mind that you may discuss the facts as presented. Going beyond the facts as outlined, and placing blame on the victim is not acceptable. Suzanne is the one not with us today to tell her story, and is indeed the victim in this case.

Keep this in mind when posting in the thread.

Thanks,
Tiff

For anyone who might be pulled in by Barry's defense team, may I assure you that his defense isn't terribly inspired? It's defense strategy 101 for when you don't have a better defense to present. Attack the investigation, file motions, exercise umbrage. While it's very dramatic to watch, it's altogether predictable.

JMO

I agree

Every major trial I've followed had the strategy to claim the cops were corrupt/lazy and planted evidence, and that the prosecutor had tunnel vision and was hunting glory. If only they had gone after the real killer!

What i don't really understand is why the defence gets hours of time to examine prosecution witnesses pre trial on a huge fishing expedition - is this just strange Colorado stuff?

Page 79 of 129 AA
March 5, 2021 interview
Yes, indeed! I’d forgotten about that. Sounds like he threw the phone too far and maybe it did land in the creek. At that time of year though the water was likely high and moving quickly and may have picked it up and deposited in a deeper area? Any magnet fisherman in the area?? :)

I agree

Every major trial I've followed had the strategy to claim the cops were corrupt/lazy and planted evidence, and that the prosecutor had tunnel vision and was hunting glory. If only they had gone after the real killer!

What i don't really understand is why the defence gets hours of time to examine prosecution witnesses pre trial on a huge fishing expedition - is this just strange Colorado stuff?
Personally, having followed a number of Colorado cases, I think the credit of playing out the clock in this manner goes to the defense attorney. After 25+ years, IE developed a good gauge on how much/far she can push it. JMO

Personally, having followed a number of Colorado cases, I think the credit of playing out the clock in this manner goes to the defense attorney. After 25+ years, IE developed a good gauge on how much/far she can push it. JMO

But why does the defence get an entire examination of a prosecution witness after the PH and before trial?

How is this anything more than a fishing expedition?

I am not seeing anything but a darker area that doesn’t appear to be a shadow. People are suggesting it is wetness…could be especially if the plastic bag was in the back of the truck but I am also suggesting a store logo. People thought the bag was blue and I pointed out that the photo color saturation was overly blue if you look at his jeans and the hotel walls you can see that and I suggested the bag was probably gray. In my area Walmart bags are gray with a blue logo. I don’t know what Safeway bags are like in Salida. But I think they have a red logo so I don’t think it is a Safeway bag but could be a Walmart bag that could be wet or not. To dissect a theory it is good to look at all the possibilities or I could say nothing and watch 5 pages of the light blue pillowcase theory. It was a good suggestion the pillowcase but I see something else because pillowcases are larger and do not have handholds. If people see a hard round helmet I think that is a good observation but if so the construction hat was a good theory that aligned also and explained perhaps what that poster was seeing.

We'd better not let IE and DN read all your posts. ;-) Nonetheless, it's good to view things from another lens. This is my first true crime case to follow. I can see the danger of following one line of thinking and not being prepared to respond to defense's point of view. LE can do the research on possible contents and bag type from the HIE photos. That being said, cycling helmets have a different visor shape and edge profile than most hard hats I've seen. Certainly, one can see a difference in profile between the MG hard hat and the SM teal cycling helmet in iconic photos from this investigation.

After a quick search, I couldn't find photos of BM at the "big job" worksite. Are any of those available? Is he wearing a hard hat there? Given the nature of the work that he did do, it boggles the mind that he'd don a hard hat, but **if** he was following the rules, he might have needed one.

Indiana was brought up at the Bond hearing.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1438984150145503232?s=21
#BarryMorphew is a significant danger to flee, according to Deputy D.A. He must surrender all guns. They also want LE to be able to monitor Morphew's whereabouts. Judge asked if he had a criminal history: In Indiana involving assault case.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1438984857317781504?s=21
Iris Eytan said the assault case was a disorderly conduct case and was dismissed. #BarryMorphew has no criminal history. He is 54-years-old, he is a hard working man. "He has family that supports him, his two daughters love him dearly. They want to hug him."
Who hasn't two loving daughters, automatically would have worse cards than BM? In general, you can't call it fair then. Not only BM is using the girls, but his lawyers are doing as well.

Who did he cheat with? I don't believe he ever had an affair with anyone. The only altercation in Indy was a guy he had do something on a job he was doing and the guy did not do it right or something and Barry's reputation was on the line so he got angry at this guy. B & S have zero domestic violence calls. Noone is coming out and saying anything different on this except for the assumptions on here.

Suzanne had confided in both her sister and her best friend about domestic violence with BM. For reference, rewatch the interviews her sister gave and read the AA, which shows verbatim texts between Suzanne and her friend SO, discussing the domestic violence. Both are posted in the media thread.

So there is more than just assumption on here.

Last edited:
I'm looking over the Skid-steer data and the very last entry is listed as "other" instead of the normal "idle start" "startup" "positioning" etc.. In five days worth of data this is the only "other" I see which makes it strange. Anybody have info on what this could mean? Wish we had a Bobcat expert on the board! :p

According to the affidavit, a friend of Morphew told investigators that three or four days after Suzanne's disappearance, Morphew complained that law enforcement was focusing solely on him.

The friend (can't remember his name) consulted a defense lawyer, who said, "Barry needed to take the polygraph test so law enforcement could focus somewhere else."

When the friend passed on that advice, Morphew said, "I don't think I'd pass a polygraph," according to the affidavit. Ouch!!

Last edited:
After a quick search, I couldn't find photos of BM at the "big job" worksite. Are any of those available? Is he wearing a hard hat there? Given the nature of the work that he did do, it boggles the mind that he'd don a hard hat, but **if** he was following the rules, he might have needed one.
RSBM

I've never seen a photo of Barry with a hard hat on but I can guarantee it would have been a requirement for a municipal job (which includes the Broomfield job). I have no doubt he wore one when required, even though he was Barry :). OSHA doesn't fool around anymore on that issue. 20-30 years ago you could get away with it, not now.

Last edited:
Page 84 of AA

"The investigators had driven from the intersection of Highway 225 and Highway 50 to Garfield, a distance of 2.73 miles, and impossible distance to see an elk at around 4:32 a.m. and follow it a short period of time..."

Bam!!

More lies exposed!!

Indiana is irrelevant to the trial and won't be admitted. All we know from IN is that Barry is a terrible person. He's a cheater, he's ripped people off, and he has a violent streak.

The only part of that that might be admissible is the violent streak since I believe the cops had to be called on an incident with him and another guy in Indiana. I cannot remember the specifics, so I can't find the article to reference, but I bet someone else can recall it.
Yes it was with another contractor. Barry was doing the landscaping but apparently didn’t like the guys working for the other guy. When the contractor showed up Barry lost his temper and they started to fight. I think they were both ticketed. The other guy said Barry went off on his guys without reason. That’s what I recall but I don’t have the link. I didn’t know the DA couldn’t bring in last behavior from Indiana. Why not?
For instance, Barry said he never cheated on Suzanne and investigators said they found no evidence that he did. But what if the other person came forward at trial and she lives in Indiana? Won’t it depend on her story?

But why does the defence get an entire examination of a prosecution witness after the PH and before trial?

How is this anything more than a fishing expedition?
The defense motion being heard involves alleged discovery violations dating back to May 2020 -- months before the PH. As to this specific witness, I'd say in part, the stars lining up against former agent Cahill where he was responsible for the DNA portion and also allegedly deemed dishonest during an investigation (albeit involving a personal incident). The defense further alleges Cahill committed perjury during his PH testimony.

The fact that Barry spent mere minutes at the job site indicates his knowledge of the trade. No permit to work. Weekend.

He really was hoping IMO for The Call to happen much earlier so it could've looked like he'd just gotten to the wall, scarcely had time to get situated.

He knew he couldn't sit on the wall for hours on end, not without getting into permit-issue trouble.

So he chilled in his hotel room.

Me, I'd like to see all the hotel/bank footage because I think ever clever Barry used the side door to avoid detection (surprise! Bank has eyes) and the front door when he wanted to be counted.

The image of him smiling up at the elevator/hallway camera is chilling.

JMO

You’re spot on. She had Wi-Fi at home, so her texts would always be delivered if at home. Spotty cell service wouldn’t be an issue at home. MM2 knew that. I wonder how early their first attempt was. In fact, I wonder what Barry’s phone showed under the good morning text he sent Suzanne that morning.. bet it gave him a chill when it read “Not Delivered” in green rather than iPhone blue.
Don’t know if this matters but I have WiFi snd home. So does my daughter. I have an iPhone. She has an android. Sometimes I text her and it says “Not delivered!”. I don’t know what makes that happen.

Yes it was with another contractor. Barry was doing the landscaping but apparently didn’t like the guys working for the other guy. When the contractor showed up Barry lost his temper and they started to fight. I think they were both ticketed. The other guy said Barry went off on his guys without reason. That’s what I recall but I don’t have the link. I didn’t know the DA couldn’t bring in last behavior from Indiana. Why not?
For instance, Barry said he never cheated on Suzanne and investigators said they found no evidence that he did. But what if the other person came forward at trial and she lives in Indiana? Won’t it depend on her story?

You can bring in that sort of evidence only if the defense "opens the door" i.e. if they stated that BM never cheated, that opens the door for the prosecution to bring in evidence refuting this assertion. Otherwise it's simply evidence of past bad acts which isn't allowed.

To further muddy the texting/Wi-fi.

My husband has an iPhone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Android. He works from home so we have terrific, super reliable internet and Wi-Fi. He can be sitting on the couch across the room from me and try to text me something, and it won't go through.

I should add, a normal sized room, we don't live in Downton Abbey or anything like that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu