Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shall be on Holiday in Sweden helping my sister celebrate her birthday. Will be gone from Feb. 9th thru Feb. 23rd -

so I am posting this now - just in case I do not have access to the internet or just having too much fun to post! :)

Thursday, February 10th:
*Motions Hearing (Murder) (@ 9:30am) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 54) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21.
Trial set to begin on 5/3/22 (thru 6/1/22) @ 8a will be moved from Chaffee County to Fremont County.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 1/26/22 reference post #527 here:
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #90

1/28/22: Defense Exhibit D admitted for the preliminary hearing (Skid telemetrics). Other defense exhibits admitted for the preliminary hearing. People's exhibits admitted for the preliminary hearing. Motions hearing continues for murder charge on 2/1/22 & status hearing re voter fraud also on 2/1/22.
1/31/22 Update: Order Re: [D-34] Defendant's Motion to Change Venue (County & District) & Request for evidentiary hearing prior to voir dire examination because Mr. Morphew cannot receive fair trial by an impartial jury in the 11th Judicial District due to prejudicial pretrial press coverage & pervasive community involvement in the search for Suzanne Morphew. Motion-Granted: murder case will be heard in Fremont County courthouse in Cañon City, 11th Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama ordered a change venue Monday in part, but not out of the 11th Judicial District.
2/1/22 Update: The IT experts determined that nobody hacked into WebEx at last week's hearing. An attendee must have recorded it live & streamed it on you tube. That is why no phones allowed. A majority of the motions hearing was questioning former Colorado Bureau of Investigations Agent Joseph Cahill about when he was made aware of a DNA match from Suzanne’s car to sexual assault cases in both Arizona & Illinois & why he did not present this in the August preliminary hearing. The prosecution admitted the emails were a mistake & last week sent more emails to the defense. They added they’ve handed over more than 50,000 pages of evidence. Morphew defense claims the prosecution is watering down the evidence about the CODIS DNA match. "We have been open, honest, complying with Rule 16 as best we can & we will continue to do so," Prosecutor Mark Hulbert said. Morphew's defense said they may challenge the move to Fremont County because his case would remain within the 11th Judicial District under the same district attorney. Defense attorney Iris Eytan asked the court to grant a related bond amendment to allow her client to travel to Fremont County. Judge Lama granted the request, restricting travel for court purposes only & allowing for overnight stays in Fremont County in order to accommodate potential difficulties driving between Cañon City & Morphew’s Maysville dwelling due to darkness & weather. No ruling today, but defense is once again pushing their insane demands dating back to early on (requesting BM's charges reduced to 2nd degree murder, throw-out his interviews, reduce his bond to $55K & cover his attorney fees!).T he judge heard arguments/rebuttal from both sides about Morphew defense claim of the prosecution’s discovery violations. Judge will make a written ruling. Next hearing on the 2/10/22 at 9:30am. Pros released video they showed to a limited audience in Aug. 9th at Morphew's preliminary hearing. This is the moment on Mother's Day May 10, 2020 when sheriffs found Suzanne's blue mountain bike on a hill down a ravine. Other body cam footage released shows Morphew when he arrived at the couple's home later that night, asks if deputies looked for tracks "people & lion tracks." And LE talks with MM2’s bf & his father. Also showed deputies collecting a pair of Suzanne's bike shorts from a closet to use in dog scent investigation.
Thanks for all you do Niner. Have a lovely holiday and we’ll look forward to catching up with you after.

Just a quick note to thank you for all your hard work on the "Find Suzanne Morphew - #JusticeForSuzanne" materials (timeline, AA, People's Exhibits, etc.). I have found them immensely helpful.

I would second that. The time and effort you have dedicated to them is awesome. Everything you have done is greatly appreciated.

^^rsbm
Oops, I disagree BM made biscuits on [Weds] April 22.

Eytan corrected the communication date to [Tues] April 21 and then when requestioning Agent Harris, she confirms to him that Macy's message was on April 21 [i.e., MM2 is texting about breakfast on 4/21, not 4/22].

(And if BM also made biscuits on April 22 -- it's not part of the record)! ;)

She'd spent about four pages rambling on about texts with JL on the 22nd in the lead up to that. She bounces around so much I can't keep up and I'm working from text!

I just can't see a man like BM agreeing to vacate the master bedroom. As much as he wanted sex with SM, coupled with his selfishness and narcissism, I feel like she would have been the one who would be forced to relocate.

This has occurred to me before and I think it's one of those things she trained him to do, like putting his dirty plate in the dishwasher. In the early days, he would have moved to the couch if his snoring kept her up, had to keep up the appearance of loving. Things become habit after 20 years.

No caring parent would make themself unavailable but he’s not a normal parent. Barry had murder on his mind and IMO didn’t even think about the girls until the next day when he needed them to alert the neighbor.

I can't help but wonder how many times the girls texted on Saturday afternoon/evening. Did Barry ignore them or pretend to be Suzanne? Or answer as himself for Suzanne?

This has occurred to me before and I think it's one of those things she trained him to do, like putting his dirty plate in the dishwasher. In the early days, he would have moved to the couch if his snoring kept her up, had to keep up the appearance of loving. Things become habit after 20 years.
I agree and think he would also do it to lay claim to "victim" status with the daughters. "She kicked me out of the marital bed."

Did Suzanne think she and Barry had reached a resolution of sorts on Friday? Barry saying he might move to Arizona, maybe he'd move out?

Did Suzanne wash the sheets because whoever had been sleeping there no longer would be?

That makes the most sense to me.

Me, I don't put fresh linens on a bed when guests are coming. I put fresh ones on when they leave. (So the bed is guest-ready.)

What do those sheets tell us????
^^RSBM

The sheets in question were not located in a guest bedroom (i.e., wash when the guest departs) but in MM1's own bedroom.

We don't know the last time MM1 was home for an overnight visit but I think it was SM's greatest desire that both her daughters and their guest spend the night to celebrate Mother's Day with her. BM told us that MM1 and her guest typically share MM1's bed and SM would want to make that extra effort of fresh linen for them -- hoping MM1 would notice.

I also believe this was the reason that SM specifically reminded BM to pick up the spa stuff on Saturday because SM wanted Mother's Day with her daughters to include the option of sharing the hot tub together on Sunday. I think SM's greatest joy was her girls and just wanted all the bases covered. (Probably had a chocolate cake too). :)

Lastly, I think both SM & BM were more likely to roll out the red carpet for MM1's guest-- subconsciously trying to dissipate the underlying tension given the trouble in paradise. Also think this came naturally to both of them since the family had an appearance to uphold. MOO

I'm curious in your scenario, at what point BM cleaned his workbench in the garage. He made a point of saying he did that, likely because it would be obvious.

I ask because I'm beginning to climb aboard a theory you had early in the case about the use of an elk carcass to contain the body.

• BM parks truck at garage and later backs it up 96 ft (with trailer attached, Bobcat atop trailer).
  • Dogs detect cadaverine on trailer and on seat of Bobcat.
  • Admitted workbench cleaning.
  • Admitted history of using tranquilizers and darts to sedate animals on his deer farm and in CO, to remove antlers.
  • Admitted use of tranquilizer darts recently from breezeway of the house.
  • BM recent movements to the properties east of Puma Path, in and along what appears to be a wooded area there. (Was he keeping an elk continually sedated somewhere there, until needed? Was he keeping a close eye on that as well as on SM?)
  • AM's claim to have seen a fresh elk rack leaning up against the house at Puma Path. BM claimed it was collected from roadkill.
  • Admitted tossing of clothing and boots in Broomfield (Soiled from procedure involving an elk carcass? A messy enough procedure that the workbench had to be cleaned before leaving town... the same night he claims he and SM enjoyed a quiet, private evening - phones off or in Airplane mode - a shared steak, and intimate relations with the "body of a 30-year old" angel-bride who'd recently documented 50 reasons to leave you).
I wonder what Chaffee County does with roadkill when it is reported. Collect and burn it, by chance?

I see from this article about a poacher who was caught that Colorado Parks and Wildlife does have a "roadkill list" for those who want meat from fresh roadkill.

Three county poaching spree started in our backyard | Wild About Teller

I wonder how that works? Does anyone here know? Does P&W dress the animal for the meat? Or, do they allow others to collect the roadkill and do so? Do they allow others some kind of special permit or anything to burn roadkill carcasses?
In the early threads here, IIRC there was something about a roadkill elk near BM's house.

"Roadkill scavengers must get a permit in person from any CPW office to legally acquire the animal carcass."
This Is How Colorado Deals With Roadkill, And Yes, It’s Something You Can Take Home Too

Of course that would be assuming BM did everything the legal way. An assertion I would not bet money on.

JMO

I went to grab the relevant text and hmmmm, IE dropped some hard misinformation.

Q Eytan: So those — the text of those messages I just read occurred between 8:20 a.m and 9:06 a.m on April 22nd, is that correct?

A Harris: April 22nd starting at 8:09 has a message from Jeff saying, “Wish I had woke up next to you.” I don’t see the messages that you’re referring to. I don’t see an 8:20.

Q Eytan: Why don’t you look at 4/21. I’d like to correct the record that it’s April 21st 2020. My apologies. And to refresh your recollection, between 8:20 am and 9:06 am.

A Harris: Yes, I see them.

Q Eytan: Since you have reviewed the texts, Suzanne and Macy — Macy’s phone was downloaded as part of this investigation, is that right? It was collected May 2020.

A Harris: As far as I know, yes.

Q Eytan: And Macy Morphew texts her mom at 9:17 in the morning, “Are you up? Dad made biscuits.” You recall that?

A Harris: On what morning?

Q Eytan: Sorry, the 21st.

A Harris: I don’t recall that off the top of my head, no.

Q Eytan: And then almost an hour later, at 9:17 Suzanne Morphew says to Macy, “I just woke up.”

MR. LINDSEY: Judge, I’m going to object. beyond the scope.

THE COURT: Ms. Eytan, how does this link up to something on direct?

MS. EYTAN: Because this talks about how — when Ms. Morphew is texting Mr. Libler and how she is — and when she’s texting him. The agent just said sometimes they communicate when Mr. Morphew is in the house.

MR LINDSEY: But that wasn’t the objection, Judge.

THE COURT: I think technically it is probably beyond the scope of the direct because this is more along the lines of what Ms. Morphew and her daughter were talking about, but I understand the context and why you’re asking the question so I’ll allow it. I’ll allow it for this particular question. I’ll caution you, Ms. Eytan, that you guys are burning through a lot of your time. You need to be aware of that.

MS. EYTAN: Thank you.

THE COURT: So if you could ask the question again.

BY MS. EYTAN:

Q Eytan: At 9:17 a.m, Suzanne Morphew says to Macy Morphew, “I just woke up.” Do you recall that between their texts?

A Harris: I don’t recall the specific text.

Q Eytan: Okay. Now Suzanne told Ms. Oliver that she hoped she could find out if Barry was seeing somebody via the spy pen so Barry would just leave the relationship.

A Harris: I recall Suzanne saying in texts that she wished he would just leave. I don’t remember the association specifically with the spy pen.

She was texting JL on the morning of the 21st. Barry made biscuits on the 22nd, but IE conflates them as the same morning. I don't think Lindsey even caught the date swap. Then note after she's conflated these things as the same morning, she changes the subject completely.
@MassGuy relevant to your question

Yeah, "misinformation" is putting it lightly!

I can't help but wonder how many times the girls texted on Saturday afternoon/evening. Did Barry ignore them or pretend to be Suzanne? Or answer as himself for Suzanne?
In MM1 interview she said she talked to SM on Saturday night. A footnote is attached disputing that and says that SM last communication to MM1 was a text at 13:58.

Attachments

• E2C90B1D-5F46-4C7E-8212-7AFCB25BB2A7.jpeg
    E2C90B1D-5F46-4C7E-8212-7AFCB25BB2A7.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 303FEECA-58B5-40AB-AD4F-82751817D359.jpeg
    303FEECA-58B5-40AB-AD4F-82751817D359.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 44
  • D987CE97-0A81-4C82-A31C-38CA5A95EA8C.jpeg
    D987CE97-0A81-4C82-A31C-38CA5A95EA8C.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 57884722-15DE-49D7-B60A-B8192CA5E8F6.jpeg
    57884722-15DE-49D7-B60A-B8192CA5E8F6.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 37
I just can't see a man like BM agreeing to vacate the master bedroom. As much as he wanted sex with SM, coupled with his selfishness and narcissism, I feel like she would have been the one who would be forced to relocate.

I agree and think he would also do it to lay claim to "victim" status with the daughters. "She kicked me out of the marital bed."

Of all weeks for BM to defer to SM, this was definitely the week since I think he was love-bombing SM like never before!

For those unaware of narc traits, their ability to flip a switch as if the worst argument or injury never happened is exactly why their partners refer to them as "crazy-makers." Their reversal can cause one to ask if that heated blow-up really happened, a bad dream, or are you losing your mind... :eek:

In MM1 interview she said she talked to SM on Saturday night. A footnote is attached disputing that and says that SM last communication to MM1 was a text at 13:58.

By talked do they mean actually spoke or made contact via text.

If it is by text ,did BM send a message or reply to one of hers?

I wonder if LE pointed out to MM the information they had already been given about the state of the marriage.

Logically, I'm thinking if such responses existed, the Defense would be crowing that Suzanne was communicating with her daughters. The AA notes the last time Suzanne texted MM1 but not if there were more texts from the girls after. Just that their texts to Suzanne went unanswered on Sunday morning/afternoon.

I doubt it was normal for Suzanne to ignore the girls.

I now believe there to be a hall closet immediately to the left of the front door (upon entry) AND a bathroom located farther down that same wall, across from the bonus room, just before the entry door to the main suite.

Final answer.

JMO

Yeah, "misinformation" is putting it lightly!

It takes a lot of planning and skill on IEs part to do this and it is just one example of many.
Definitely want defense to make the state prove its case.
Really hate misrepresentions of facts on either side though.
Can understand human error but when I see willful deceit it stirs contempt within.
Hope the outcome of trial is just and the state and defense represent well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed