Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s disappointing to hear there will be no live tweeting. I did however feel we/I got more info from LS’s 16 pages of notes than we would have got if she were tweeting live. We did have to wait several days for the info though.

It will really blow if there’s no live tweeting from the trial. I don’t recall how many days have been set aside for that. IMO
LS mentioned that the long wait was because of the blizzard that had much of her attention for a couple of days. So, hopefully it will not always take as long and she will be reporting with fresher memory, supported by her notes.

What's the minimum sentence for 2nd degree? Reduced for time served and good behavior, what would we be talking?

I think we might hear of a plea at the 11th hour.

I don't see him ever admitting he did it, but what about an Alford plea? If the Prosecution were to accept it, it leaves him free to boast that he's innocent but he wanted to spare a trial, as if magnanimous.

Could he be out in less than ten?

It’s disappointing to hear there will be no live tweeting. I did however feel we/I got more info from LS’s 16 pages of notes than we would have got if she were tweeting live. We did have to wait several days for the info though.

It will really blow if there’s no live tweeting from the trial. I don’t recall how many days have been set aside for that. IMO
I believe Lauren took notes on her laptop. I wonder how skilled everyone is taking notes old school. If I were a news source I might be looking for someone who takes shorthand for the trial.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Freemont/Morphew/Standing Decorum Order for Motions and Pre-trial Hearings.pdf

From the Decorum Order entered today for Motions and Pretrial Hearings:

The Justice Center is defined as the entire Fremont County property surrounding the building and public parking area.

Think of People of the State of Colorado vs Patrick Frazee and where all the news coverage was reported from across the street.

All the same conditions here --
  • NO LIVE REPORTING from the Justice Center.
  • No photography, or audio, or video recording of any kind is permitted within the courtroom or in the Justice Center
  • No admittance will be permitted while the Court is in session or re-entrance permitted until the next recess is called.
ETA: A refresher on how much detail we received sans live reporting in Berreith case. Other than inconvenience, I don't think we missed anything in terms of details -- especially coupled with the nightly live recaps (i.e., Sam Kraemer). I trust LS and AF will honor us with the same.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/kelsey-berreth-case/inside-the-patrick-frazee-trial

Last edited:
I shall be on Holiday in Sweden helping my sister celebrate her birthday. Will be gone from Feb. 9th thru Feb. 23rd -

so I am posting this now - just in case I do not have access to the internet or just having too much fun to post! :)

Thursday, February 10th:
*Motions Hearing (Murder) (@ 9:30am) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 54) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21.
Trial set to begin on 5/3/22 (thru 6/1/22) @ 8a will be moved from Chaffee County to Fremont County.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 1/26/22 reference post #527 here:
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #90

1/28/22: Defense Exhibit D admitted for the preliminary hearing (Skid telemetrics). Other defense exhibits admitted for the preliminary hearing. People's exhibits admitted for the preliminary hearing. Motions hearing continues for murder charge on 2/1/22 & status hearing re voter fraud also on 2/1/22.
1/31/22 Update: Order Re: [D-34] Defendant's Motion to Change Venue (County & District) & Request for evidentiary hearing prior to voir dire examination because Mr. Morphew cannot receive fair trial by an impartial jury in the 11th Judicial District due to prejudicial pretrial press coverage & pervasive community involvement in the search for Suzanne Morphew. Motion-Granted: murder case will be heard in Fremont County courthouse in Cañon City, 11th Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama ordered a change venue Monday in part, but not out of the 11th Judicial District.
2/1/22 Update: The IT experts determined that nobody hacked into WebEx at last week's hearing. An attendee must have recorded it live & streamed it on you tube. That is why no phones allowed. A majority of the motions hearing was questioning former Colorado Bureau of Investigations Agent Joseph Cahill about when he was made aware of a DNA match from Suzanne’s car to sexual assault cases in both Arizona & Illinois & why he did not present this in the August preliminary hearing. The prosecution admitted the emails were a mistake & last week sent more emails to the defense. They added they’ve handed over more than 50,000 pages of evidence. Morphew defense claims the prosecution is watering down the evidence about the CODIS DNA match. "We have been open, honest, complying with Rule 16 as best we can & we will continue to do so," Prosecutor Mark Hulbert said. Morphew's defense said they may challenge the move to Fremont County because his case would remain within the 11th Judicial District under the same district attorney. Defense attorney Iris Eytan asked the court to grant a related bond amendment to allow her client to travel to Fremont County. Judge Lama granted the request, restricting travel for court purposes only & allowing for overnight stays in Fremont County in order to accommodate potential difficulties driving between Cañon City & Morphew’s Maysville dwelling due to darkness & weather. No ruling today, but defense is once again pushing their insane demands dating back to early on (requesting BM's charges reduced to 2nd degree murder, throw-out his interviews, reduce his bond to $55K & cover his attorney fees!).T he judge heard arguments/rebuttal from both sides about Morphew defense claim of the prosecution’s discovery violations. Judge will make a written ruling. Next hearing on the 2/10/22 at 9:30am. Pros released video they showed to a limited audience in Aug. 9th at Morphew's preliminary hearing. This is the moment on Mother's Day May 10, 2020 when sheriffs found Suzanne's blue mountain bike on a hill down a ravine. Other body cam footage released shows Morphew when he arrived at the couple's home later that night, asks if deputies looked for tracks "people & lion tracks." And LE talks with MM2’s bf & his father. Also showed deputies collecting a pair of Suzanne's bike shorts from a closet to use in dog scent investigation.
Thanks as always @Niner
Have fun on your Holiday !!!

I believe Lauren took notes on her laptop. I wonder how skilled everyone is taking notes old school. If I were a news source I might be looking for someone who takes shorthand for the trial.
Seems like it would be best to have both - shorthand taker AND someone who has some "institutional memory" about the case to date - working together.

Looks like no live Tweeting tomorrow, and going forward. This is the most restrictive order I've seen in Colorado, and I just hope it doesn't apply when trial rolls around.

Massguy's getting upset!

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Freemont/Morphew/Standing Decorum Order for Motions and Pre-trial Hearings.pdf

Seems this will create more interest in the case.
Lotsa internet, media chatter during the day wondering what's going on, then reporting and discussing throughout evening.
Confess not understanding the decorum concern...
Livestreaming, audio, filming, etc, would be transparent and seemingly more accurate than note taking.
Ugh

What's the minimum sentence for 2nd degree? Reduced for time served and good behavior, what would we be talking?

I think we might hear of a plea at the 11th hour.

I don't see him ever admitting he did it, but what about an Alford plea? If the Prosecution were to accept it, it leaves him free to boast that he's innocent but he wanted to spare a trial, as if magnanimous.

Would SD wait ten?

Seems this will create more interest in the case.
Lotsa internet, media chatter during the day wondering what's going on, then reporting and discussing throughout evening.
Confess not understanding the decorum concern...
Livestreaming, audio, filming, etc, would be transparent and seemingly more accurate than note taking.
Ugh
We had no hope of cameras or anything, but live tweeting seemed like a perfectly reasonable compromise.

I'm sure the media is going to fight back with motions before trial. An easy solution is credentialing media members, putting them in a special section, and allowing them to have their devices.

That way you can monitor them, while preventing a rogue gallery member from violating the order.

We had no hope of cameras or anything, but live tweeting seemed like a perfectly reasonable compromise.

I'm sure the media is going to fight back with motions before trial. An easy solution is credentialing media members, putting them in a special section, and allowing them to have their devices.

That way you can monitor them, while preventing a rogue gallery member from violating the order.

I'm ignorant about the no hope for cameras. Is that a Colorado law or just specific to this case?
Why not audio? What would be the harm in that? Seems would factually represent.
I don't understand the lack of transparency.
Sorry so uninformed but TIA for any answers...

Edit to add:
I think since BM arrest the court has gone from cameras, livestream whatcha ma call it, texting to this.
Just wondering if all the restrictions due to random troublemakers?
Which serves a certain agenda.
Mmmph!

Last edited:
Other things that fit with this theory: In the photos of the dumpste

How is it a caricature when that's literally out of Barry's own mouth? This is a guy who says he gets his kicks out of killing chipmunks (how many did he say?), tranquilizing deer to saw off their horns in his yard.....and here's his garage. I'd say it's pretty close to accurate. Just my opinion though.

Barry makes himself out to be a bore. Per the AA
" He said he was never home and worked daylight until dark, going "selfishly hunting." his main concern was his own happiness, may well have been his only concern, he took her being there for granted IMO.

Has anybody, anywhere ever accused him of having a sense of humor, quick wit?

RSBM
Alford is rare in Colorado. Alford.. It is a plea of guilty where the accused continues to maintain his innocence but a guilty plea is allowed to be entered for him….. As noted above, Most Colorado state prosecutors will not plea bargain to an Alford plea and if they do most judges will not accept them.

Last edited:
I'm ignorant about the no hope for cameras. Is that a Colorado law or just specific to this case?
Why not audio? What would be the harm that? Seems would factually represent.
I don't understand the lack of transparency.
Sorry so uninformed but TIA for any answers...
In general, only advisements and arraignments are allowed to have cameras. The default rule in Colorado is for no cameras at trial, although it's up to the judge.

Covid had changed things, as because attendance was limited, livestreams became more common (WeBEx). We were spoiled for a while.

Things seem to be going back to normal though.

I really do not see BM pleading to anything that would involve prison.

He's gonna ride this all the way down.

I think he truly believes that whatever he did to Suzanne was justified.

MOO
At least one witness in the AA said BM would never admit to it, and I totally believe that.

His image is everything, and so is his freedom. If he was arrogant enough to speak to investigators a couple dozen times, he'll be arrogant enough to believe he'll win at trial.

Seems like it would be best to have both - shorthand taker AND someone who has some "institutional memory" about the case to date - working together.
Yes, because its amazing how much you miss when looking down taking notes. An extra set of eyes just to watch facial expressions and body language is so important.

In general, only advisements and arraignments are allowed to have cameras. The default rule in Colorado is for no cameras at trial, although it's up to the judge.

Covid had changed things, as because attendance was limited, livestreams became more common (WeBEx). We were spoiled for a while.

Things seem to be going back to normal though.
The next murder we all solve better be outside Colorado! Lol!

I really do not see BM pleading to anything that would involve prison.

He's gonna ride this all the way down.

I think he truly believes that whatever he did to Suzanne was justified.

MOO
So true...

He gives responsibility of her demise to God, and very willingly I might add.

But, what really got my goat was the tense sentences referring to her "as a sinner."

justtrish, Monday at 2:45 PMReport

In my family, my husband is the only one working outside the home. I have at times worked outside the home and other times did not. No matter what the dynamic was, I never have felt I don't deserve any of the money or to spend money. I don't "ask" for money, matter of fact I pay the bills and have a much better grasp on what we have and where, what we owe to who, when things get paid, etc. I handled the bills. Being home with the kids is a family decision and the money earned by anyone is also "family" money.
<rsbm> [nasbda]

# # #

To your point @justtrish, albeit tangentially, were the IRS enabled to treat as taxable income the imputed value, i.e., alternative commercial costs of equivalent services performed in the home, but which - as you've noted - are accomplished by household members at 'no cost' {really?} ...well, can you imagine?...Then, as we used to say when coming to a new heading in turbulent seas, "Stand by for heavy rolls!"
...financial, societal, familial, legal, etc., etc.

As @sk716 noted, BM was headed to Puma Path. These photos were captured in conjunction with the May 9 texts "Done heading back" and "Did you leave".
I find this entire series of texts so odd.

He went home, but didn't really go home. She is messaging Jeff, while he is parked down the driveway out of sight and off hunting for a turkey his daughter shot like a week ago??

Then he decides to go get a blade replaced. While he is driving away he tries to call her several times. She doesn't answer.

Then he texts her he is done and on his way home.

This specific time frame is driving me nuts! (not that I need too much help there.. lol)

I have been looking at GPS data for his skid ster and his truck along with text and call times trying to get a picture of exactly how this was going.

For some reason at his house before departing to go get the blade replaced he does something with the Skid steer.. The GPS shows he moves it so not sure why he would take it off his truck to put it back on the truck and not hours apart, he does this in like 6 minutes or so.

I also can't help feeling like something happened to her before he left to get that blade replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe