Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's discuss that bizarre story BM told to LE about SM mixing chemicals while she was cleaning the shower.
This from google: "Both chloramine and chlorine gases are immediately irritating with a very pungent odor, causing watering of the eyes, runny nose and coughing. ... Close the door to the room and stay out of the area until the smell has dissipated."

Running a google search on "how to neutralize chlorine gas" leads to the following answers by chemists on Quora

1) I’d suggest getting the fumes out of the air by taking advantage of chlorine’s high solubility in water.

2) Dry it up as quickly as you can. Throw a towel on it, dry it up quickly, put the towel in a bag and tie the bag shut or toss it outside until the reaction stops

Edit: More info via Quora from four years ago. Question is "what should I do if I accidentally breathe in a little chlorine gas?"

The great thing about chlorine is that you know very quickly if you have been harmed. It is not one of those substances that give you cancer 20 years later or makes you die of liver or kidney failure in 6 months. If you can just smell it (4–5 ppm) you are likely to get some respiratory effects in about an hour if you stick around. Much higher than this and you will automatically go away. Get fresh air. Tell someone what happened (in case you are not able to later). Changing your clothes (to remove any gas absorbed in them, air them well), having a tepid shower and rinsing your eyes is likely to help. If you feel bad, and particularly if you feel worse, get medical help.

I have often breathed small amounts around swimming pools. Nothing to worry about, but if it stings my eyes, I go away.

Edit edit: BM would undoubtedly have breathing equipment to avoid getting too sick from fumes due to his being a firefighter.
Fumes from what....you lost me here?

Fumes from what....you lost me here?
From AA pg 88

“Barry talked about meeting Suzanne, talking all night, falling in love and having children. He spoke of the 2013 incident when Suzanne almost died from cleaning the shower with bleach and peroxide and the fumes interacted with the chemo and put her mind into “an anxiety mode.”

I think he meant ammonia and bleach and it’s doubtful it had anything to do with her chemo. Mixing the two creates fumes that are toxic to everyone.

IIRC from my Chem classes, bleach and peroxide creates a volatile oxygen-based compound that can explode if a flame is present. I’ve mixed bleach and peroxide a few times for stubborn stains and don’t recall any fumes.

I'm curious about Suzanne's RR and whether it has a bike rack, couldn't see one on bodycam footage from MH2 being at PP property. Not saying she had one but would make sense if she did imo. If she did have 1, and it's not on RR, where is it and why isn't it there?

FWIW: She had a bicycle worth several thousand dollars, around $5k, I think. I know some folks with high end bicycles that won't lock them up anywhere for fear of theft. They keep their bikes inside and only use them to ride a loop and return. They will drive to the start of their ride with a bike rack, but won't make any stops en route where they have to walk away from the car. If the bike fits inside the trunk--pretty sure it would on a RR--then you can make stops and not worry about anyone stealing your bike or components. (I ride an old bike with suicide shifters and enjoy it very much without fear of someone stealing it. ;) )

From AA pg 88

“Barry talked about meeting Suzanne, talking all night, falling in love and having children. He spoke of the 2013 incident when Suzanne almost died from cleaning the shower with bleach and peroxide and the fumes interacted with the chemo and put her mind into “an anxiety mode.”

I think he meant ammonia and bleach and it’s doubtful it had anything to do with her chemo. Mixing the two creates fumes that are toxic to everyone.

IIRC from my Chem classes, bleach and peroxide creates a volatile oxygen-based compound that can explode if a flame is present. I’ve mixed bleach and peroxide a few times for stubborn stains and don’t recall any fumes.

Nothing to do with her chemo. But chlorine gas is deadly and it smells like chlorine. House supposedly smelled strongly of chlorine when LE first went in. MG and Jeff stated that BM's room reeked of chlorine and there were soaking wet towels left on the floor. They specifically stated that it "made their eyes water". MG said that BM's voice sounded horrible when he called her, like he'd just had "the worst night of his life."

I think it's possible that BM sedated SM and killed her with chlorine gas after loading all the evidence into his truck around 3am. I think he threw that story into the mix in case they found evidence of the mixture in the house...ole dumb Suzanne was just mixing chemicals again. I think it may have put HIS brain "in anxiety mode." So anxious that he flew to his hotel room and proceeded to shower a gazillion times and soak his clothes in water to try and get rid of any chemicals clinging to them. I used to think the towels may have been from his house but now I think he may have used them in attempts to dry the clothes before taking them out of the hotel to the dumpster.

From AA pg 88

Anxiety mode is such an odd comment. Does that mean she became anxious after that incident? Was the describing her reaction to the chemicals as anxiety mode? I wonder if there were follow up questions to clarify. Just like the MM1 free for all bed.

What I don't like about the story of the chemicals is Barry's characterization of it. Suzanne nearly died -- and it made her all anxious-y.

I would imagine it was a genuinely scary experience, and it would appear the Mr. Sensitivity minimizes the natural impact that would have on a person. Was Suzanne ever allowed to emote?

Ugh.

He constantly disregarded her feelings. Blames cancer, drugs (drugs? Ha! They were prescribed!!), alcohol -- like Suzanne couldn't possibly be her own free thinker.

Can you imagine attempting to have a serious conversation with your spouse about the state of your relationship, only to have him walk away, saying you're just in a mood?

I'm exasperated for her.

While Suzanne recovered from the cleaning nightmare, did Barry storm off, upset he had to make his own sammich?

How is anyone finding him charming now?

Life-size toddler?

JMO

Anxiety mode is such an odd comment. Does that mean she became anxious after that incident? Was the describing her reaction to the chemicals as anxiety mode? I wonder if there were follow up questions to clarify. Just like the MM1 free for all bed.
He was so checked out of that marriage, I doubt he has any idea what Suzanne actually mixed that made put her in “anxiety mode.” IMO while half listening, he heard mixing and cleaning and fumes and made an assumption. He was probably disappointed that, whatever it was, didn’t kill her.

What I don't like about the story of the chemicals is Barry's characterization of it. Suzanne nearly died -- and it made her all anxious-y.

I would imagine it was a genuinely scary experience, and it would appear the Mr. Sensitivity minimizes the natural impact that would have on a person. Was Suzanne ever allowed to emote?

Ugh.

He constantly disregarded her feelings. Blames cancer, drugs (drugs? Ha! They were prescribed!!), alcohol -- like Suzanne couldn't possibly be her own free thinker.

Can you imagine attempting to have a serious conversation with your spouse about the state of your relationship, only to have him walk away, saying you're just in a mood?

I'm exasperated for her.

While Suzanne recovered from the cleaning nightmare, did Barry storm off, upset he had to make his own sammich?

How is anyone finding him charming now?

Life-size toddler?

JMO
Best description! Life-size toddler. He’s such a pig.

Is there more to this story? Did Barry have something to do with the mix up? Too cheap, saved a bottle, refilled it without relabeling? Something more sinister? Is "anxious" his interpretation of Suzzane, being upset, blaming him perhaps? Did it nearly kill her or did her husband nearly kill her, accidentally or otherwise? And Suzanne had doubts?

It's a weird story to retell.

And a weird roundabout way to associate and blame Suzanne with and for bleach/chlorine.

JMO

He was so checked out of that marriage, I doubt he has any idea what Suzanne actually mixed that made put her in “anxiety mode.” IMO while half listening, he heard mixing and cleaning and fumes and made an assumption. He was probably disappointed that, whatever it was, didn’t kill her.

I'm not sure we can rule him out as the mixer.

JMO

If he swapped SIM cards and HIS SIM card doesn't show the dismount they know happened, that data should barry him!

JMO

Bringing this forward again from the Bobcat i-Connect Terms & Conditions Agreement.

2. Prohibited Conduct:

<SABBMFF>

vii. Use the installed Bobcat i-Connect “SIM card” for unlawful or illegal activities.

viii. Use the installed Bobcat i-Connect “SIM card” in a device (ex. Mobile, Tablet, etc) other than associated Bobcat i-Connect device.

ix. Interfere or disrupt the device or the applications or networks connected to the applications.

I find Item viii particularly interesting, which is why I bolded it in blue. I wonder if he used the Bobcat SIM card in another device. If so, hopefully there is an electronic record of this.

JMVHO.

telematics-terms

Last edited:
The only thing I read for hits down near the river was the search her brother Andy did in September. Cadaver dogs hit I believe the exact location was across the river, but it was between the main road and their house just on the other side of the river. It was noted that LE checked the area and deemed it unrelated to the case.
I agree. Other than the initial press release from CCSO (linked up-thread) citing the dog search teams joining on Sunday, I recall that CCSO had one press conference and did not make any additional public comments until BM's arrest.

ETA: add link

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search, however by late afternoon on May 11 Ms Morphew had not been found.

Last edited:
I'm curious about Suzanne's RR and whether it has a bike rack, couldn't see one on bodycam footage from MH2 being at PP property. Not saying she had one but would make sense if she did imo. If she did have 1, and it's not on RR, where is it and why isn't it there?
I don't believe there was ever a bike rack on the RR. We also know that SM had recently asked BM to take her bike out of her RR.

Nothing to do with her chemo. But chlorine gas is deadly and it smells like chlorine. House supposedly smelled strongly of chlorine when LE first went in. MG and Jeff stated that BM's room reeked of chlorine and there were soaking wet towels left on the floor. They specifically stated that it "made their eyes water". MG said that BM's voice sounded horrible when he called her, like he'd just had "the worst night of his life."

I think it's possible that BM sedated SM and killed her with chlorine gas after loading all the evidence into his truck around 3am. I think he threw that story into the mix in case they found evidence of the mixture in the house...ole dumb Suzanne was just mixing chemicals again. I think it may have put HIS brain "in anxiety mode." So anxious that he flew to his hotel room and proceeded to shower a gazillion times and soak his clothes in water to try and get rid of any chemicals clinging to them. I used to think the towels may have been from his house but now I think he may have used them in attempts to dry the clothes before taking them out of the hotel to the dumpster.
I don't recall LE reporting the house smelled of chlorine when they first entered, but maybe it's buried in the documents some where there have been so many theories lately, I'm struggling to keep up with which ones are true theories and which ones have documented basis that may come up at trial.

Shooting deer from side door?
Are you allowed to 'shoot deer' from your side yard? Isn't that illegal?
@katydid23 Good question. Not necessarily for ordinary/traditional hunt.
BM shooting deer on his own private land may be lawful, in season, w license, etc.
"Hunting on private land in Colorado requires permission from the owner or occupant. Hunters are required to make a reasonable attempt to recover wounded wildlife, but they cannot pursue wounded wildlife onto private property without first making a reasonable attempt to contact the owner." bbm
But ^ may or may not apply to tranqueing by dart w non-lethal dose. I did not confirm w official websites* to see if that is prohibited or restricted.

Also
"Colorado hunters must reasonably attempt to use killed wildlife for human consumption. They are not permitted to detach certain parts – such as the head – and abandon the carcass." bbm
But presumably BM only tranqued, did not kill deer, so did not leave carcasses w parts, like partial antlers detached.
^^^ FWIW^^^

{{ETA: @Megnut. Sorry, I just read your response to @katydid23. Not saying I disagree, but my quickie searches did not find the same conclusion. Emphasis on quickie.}}
**But info from local website** seems reliable.

^Mountain Law: Colorado hunting law: An overview

Last edited:
I don't recall LE reporting the house smelled of chlorine when they first entered, but maybe it's buried in the documents some where there have been so many theories lately, I'm struggling to keep up with which ones are true theories and which ones have documented basis that may come up at trial.

I remember AM commenting that he was told there was a strong smell of Chlorine or bleach in the home.
Not sure that has been documented though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azouheir