Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this entire series of texts so odd.

He went home, but didn't really go home. She is messaging Jeff, while he is parked down the driveway out of sight and off hunting for a turkey his daughter shot like a week ago??

Then he decides to go get a blade replaced. While he is driving away he tries to call her several times. She doesn't answer.

Then he texts her he is done and on his way home.

This specific time frame is driving me nuts! (not that I need too much help there.. lol)

I have been looking at GPS data for his skid ster and his truck along with text and call times trying to get a picture of exactly how this was going.

For some reason at his house before departing to go get the blade replaced he does something with the Skid steer.. The GPS shows he moves it so not sure why he would take it off his truck to put it back on the truck and not hours apart, he does this in like 6 minutes or so.

I also can't help feeling like something happened to her before he left to get that blade replaced.

She was trying to video chat with JL after Barry left for DSI. She was alive and communicative until 2:11pm.

Perhaps some of you know how murderers act in cleaning up a crime scene--from following previous cases, of course, not from personal experience ;-) . How do they keep track of all the things that need to be done? Do they write out lists? Do they record a memo on their phone? Do they frenetically retrace all their movements checking for evidence? It just seems incredibly hard to erase everything. But then, maybe erasing 90% of it is enough as it leaves such a mishmash of clues that LE can't really piece things together.

From the many cases I have followed over the years, since a murderer’s ego always gives them the confidence that they are smarter than most, they seem to work from memory and very rarely will they have a checklist; they don’t want evidence accidentally left behind or discovered. The exception is the extremely gruesome case of Joel Guy, Jr.

LE found a notebook where he had an actionable checklist of the actions he took in the killing of his parents. It was the first I had read of a murderer having a playbook of the crime he committed.

Last edited:
I thought no photography was allowed even outside.

C This ORDER applies to the entire Fremont County Justice Center and county property surrounding the Justice Center. The Justice Center property is defined as the building and public parking area.

II. PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO AND AUDIO RECORDING
a. No photography, or audio, or video recording of any kind is permitted within the courtroom or in the Justice Center.
So do photogs have to set up far away with telephoto lenses? Was the tweet with video in violation? I guess they still have to do the linked arms thing so it will be written about that way, if not recorded. It still looks creepy to me, not supportive.

So do photogs have to set up far away with telephoto lenses? Was the tweet with video in violation? I guess they still have to do the linked arms thing so it will be written about that way, if not recorded. It still looks creepy to me, not supportive.

They're holding onto him like he might bolt and make a run for it. I'm guessing that is not the image they want to project.

MOO

Every murderer makes mistakes.

They're never as smart as they think they are.

Something always trips them up.

Barry.
Bobcat Barry.
New blade Barry.
Backhoe Barry.
Trailer jack Bobcat Barry
6 minutes
SIM
Dog alerts
Arm pin, loose bolts
Footprint
Left turn
14 miles

Let's say Barry WAS planning to use his Bobcat. What steps would he take to allow for that?

I propose -- get a new blade. Pristine, unused.
Find out where backhoe dude is. Find an idle, unsupervised SIM card.

Let's say Barry didn't really need a new blade (MG might be able to say). Would he really get it changed anyway? Cheap Barry throwing away a perfectly usable blade??

Instead.....

Barry dumps a really old blade. Later he removes sparkly blade, attaches his original beloved still's got some life in it blade. Goes out after dark, possibly to the left. Possibly with his trailer, a newly SIMmed Bobcat with his favorite blade and a truck from his current address.

Between 11pm and 3am, he is up towards Monarch, disposes of his wife. Uses his Bobcat to move a massive boulder. Drives back toward PP, stopping somewhere long enough to drop the beloved blade (to retrieve after a couple days/weeks), gets back to PP, where he reattaches the new blade (leaving the extra bits from his newly stowed blade), and leaves scent on the trailer, the blade and the seat.

Takes a bromide bath in the hot tub... and spends the rest of the day trying to dilute how he smells --

He doesn't bring the Bobcat to Broomfield because he wants it found clean.

But it's too clean.

That's suspicious as heck, no?

Anything here to work with?

JMO

I'm on board with this theory, especially the part about not taking it to Broomfield because he wants it found clean. That makes a lot of sense to me considering I feel like the trailer was staged also.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Freemont/Morphew/Standing Decorum Order for Motions and Pre-trial Hearings.pdf

From the Decorum Order entered today for Motions and Pretrial Hearings:

The Justice Center is defined as the entire Fremont County property surrounding the building and public parking area.

Think of People of the State of Colorado vs Patrick Frazee and where all the news coverage was reported from across the street.

All the same conditions here --
  • NO LIVE REPORTING from the Justice Center.
  • No photography, or audio, or video recording of any kind is permitted within the courtroom or in the Justice Center
  • No admittance will be permitted while the Court is in session or re-entrance permitted until the next recess is called.
ETA: A refresher on how much detail we received sans live reporting in Berreith case. Other than inconvenience, I don't think we missed anything in terms of details -- especially coupled with the nightly live recaps (i.e., Sam Kraemer). I trust LS and AF will honor us with the same.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/kelsey-berreth-case/inside-the-patrick-frazee-trial

Not with E&N in the court room. Journalist are trained to report what the people need to know, but more often than not ratings/hits force the reporting of what sells. For us and LS, this isn't really a problem because she likes to go back and go over her notes in a live stream answering questions, but all the rest of the world is going to hear is what Hurricane Iris wants them to hear over the din.

Was he in the driveway for those 6 minutes?

Could he have been putting AN OLDER BLADE on the Bobcat?

(Then replaces that one with a fresh new one -- and with a new SIM, puts his original one on -- to use overnight, LEAVING IT wherever he left Suzanne. Or somewhere hidden to retrieve when this all blows over -- because he's cheap.)

Doesn't make a lot of sense but I just can't let up on the Bobcat.

Something doesn't line up.

JMO

I want to reiterate that the Skid Steer is why they dug up the rock beach site twice and found nothing. That is already kind of embarrassing for the State. I'm sure the defense is thrilled that their completely pointless Bobcat data has so many people talking about it again.

This is an excellent point. We have assumed it was the blade changing mechanical thingy at DSI that he lied about but what if it was the removal of the arm to access the sim card that he lied about? Hence the defences activity report list that as the single “other” designation? I don’t believe the Bobcat murdered Suzanne but it likely plays into either preparation, transport or disposal or any combination of the three. 3 different dogs didn’t lie about the hits on the trailer, Bobcat and seat. IMO Barry lied. Wth did he do?
Back to the bleach thing could he have emptied the hot tub placed her there while sedated then doused her with enough chlorine and choose another chemical, closed the lid and headed back to Salida? He opens the cover at a later point to let it air out, dries up the liquid with towels which affords him time for shopping with a smile, steak, journal burning and whatever else. I cannot fathom why he had so many bags to dispose of at the HIE, MW and McDs unless those bags were chock full of wet and damp towels.
Do we know if Suzanne’s bible was ever accounted for? Thanks in advance.
ETA it wouldn’t have taken him much time to drain the hot tub, fill it with toxic chemical mix, wait for his magic potion to work and later drain the small amount of chemicals and rinse and refill. We frequently use old towels to wipe out hot tub after draining because a simple drain job is not enough. It needs to be wiped out of dirt, debris and whatever else Barry may have put in there. IMO
I wonder why he didn't put the arm back if he removed the sim card. I can't think of any reason for removing the arm other than that.

We had a hot tub at our old house and cleaned it the same way as you do yours. Not sure if he put Suzanne in it, but he could have to drown her. Did LE take it to test?

I don't know if Suzanne's bible was accounted for. I hope it was. Crazy man wouldn't burn that, too, would he? If he did, he's definitely going down under, and I don't mean Australia.

Not with E&N in the court room. Journalist are trained to report what the people need to know, but more often than not ratings/hits force the reporting of what sells. For us and LS, this isn't really a problem because she likes to go back and go over her notes in a live stream answering questions, but all the rest of the world is going to hear is what Hurricane Iris wants them to hear over the din.

ITA
This is why they'd be smart to fine-tune the family walk into courthouse.
The clingyness and carefree smiles cause one the think...hmm, somethings not quite right here.
Interest then sparked and research started...

p.s
IMO BM is persuaded by the hurricanes lift and is feeling pretty confident.
He has set the narrative for years so if convicted it will truly be disorienting

Quickly glanced at today's arrival and it looked more appropriate

Last edited:
Random thought, I wonder if the cadaver dogs hitting on the bob cat was because of BM. He would have sat in the seat and also touched near the blade when he used the bob cat to detach the trailer.

But I guess if that were the case, dogs would have hit at other locations around the house?

I think the seat at least was definitely due to BM transfer. He keeps his hands in his pockets constantly if you watch the videos. Guarantee he wipes his hands on the back of his pants.

Great comment. The answer to all of the above, in my mind, is simple.
Barry has fantastic delusions of grandeur.
He's gotten away with talking himself out of jams, charmed his way out of taking responsibilities and fooled many people his whole life with his lies. What would make getting away with murdering his wife any different?

Now that the judge has essentially muted the journalists (unless they can find some old chick, like myself, who took Gregg shorthand in high school ~ I think I remember 'Dear Sir'), we won't know what happens when the defense is faced with the hundreds of lies unless the journalists have exceptional memories. Actually, I'm a really good notetaker but deciphering them later can be somewhat of a challenge.
Ya think this ruling has left me less than optimistic and maybe a tad perturbed? You'd be correct. :rolleyes:
I took Gregg, too. It was supposed to be the future. Lol! I use it when I'm hiding something I don't want anybody else to be able to read. :rolleyes:

I wonder why he didn't put the arm back if he removed the sim card. I can't think of any reason for removing the arm other than that.

We had a hot tub at our old house and cleaned it the same way as you do yours. Not sure if he put Suzanne in it, but he could have to drown her. Did LE take it to test?

I don't know if Suzanne's bible was accounted for. I hope it was. Crazy man wouldn't burn that, too, would he? If he did, he's definitely going down under, and I don't mean Australia.

But if he simply drowned her, we wouldn't have all the stuff about the chlorine smell I don't think. We need to put our heads together and figure out what these chemicals are in SM's front seat. Based upon the texts and her phone data I don't believe for a second that SM was the one who got the chemicals. So why were they in her car? I've tried looking for bottles that look like these but can't seem to find an exact match.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_60.png

This is precisely why I theorize he never re-entered the house. All the vehicle activity Saturday night IMO was preparation so as to avoid re-entry.

I think Barry monkeyed with the Bobcat Sunday morning (is there a monkey in the zoo? Lots of monkeying). I think he stripped out of his overnight work clothes (the boots, the camo jacket, etc), leaving cadaverine and a bare footprint behind.

I think he decontaminated in the hot tub to avoid going inside. Heck, Suzanne's towel may have been laying right there!

What was WRONG with the hot tub, I wonder. Spitting out too much bromide?? Anyone, anyone?

It seems obvious to me -- between sitting in his Bobcat and sitting in his truck, he managed to shed cadaverine. I say hot tub.

JMO
He overdosed the hot tub with bromide. Had to make sure to get the cadaverine off of himself. He took another shower or a few in Broomfield each time he changed his shirt and could have used bromide there, too. He must have smelled like an undiluted extra strength clorox bottle.:D

JMO

But if he simply drowned her, we wouldn't have all the stuff about the chlorine smell I don't think. We need to put our heads together and figure out what these chemicals are in SM's front seat. Based upon the texts and her phone data I don't believe for a second that SM was the one who got the chemicals. So why were they in her car? I've tried looking for bottles that look like these but can't seem to find an exact match.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_60.png

I think two are Clorox pool chlorine stabilizers, easily identified with a Google search.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member