Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This fawning and touching of an accused is also a common ploy by the defense to show the jury/public that the accused is not the monster he or she is made out to be; the accused is lovable and nice. Defense attorneys will do it themselves. Watch trials. The defense touches arms, hands, shoulders of the accused constantly while they sit in the courtroom. “Look at my client. He is harmless. He didn’t do those awful things he is accused of.”

Yes, definitely a coached tactic

MM1 and MM2 are beautiful girls with a bit of glamour, so when they do the touching and fawning it's disconcerting given the circumstances. Comes off almost like a celebrity PR event.
I really feel for them. They want to show love and support their father.

When IE comforts Barry I just roll my eyes.
ICK!
...and not because she's not lovely but because she "KNOWS"

IMO

Yes, definitely a coached tactic

MM1 and MM2 are beautiful girls with a bit of glamour, so when they do the touching and fawning it's disconcerting given the circumstances. Comes off almost like a celebrity PR event.
I really feel for them. They want to show love and support their father.

When IE comforts Barry I just roll my eyes.
ICK!
...and not because she's not lovely but because she "KNOWS"

IMO
I was just thinking the exact same thing about IE, recalling Lauren’s summary of the last hearing. Euughhh.

And they were selective about the dogs. They did go and dig up the entrance to Longhorn Ranch subdivision because of dogs...but it is difficult to know if they did that because of public pressure or because particular dogs were more believable than other dogs as there were various dogs that are known in this case with various handlers. If they dug up the entrance to Longhorn subdivsion and didn't find anything why did the dogs alert would be my question. Plus you are talking about a person who runs excavating equipment so who knows where that Bobcat has been digging all over Chaffee County and outside Chaffee county for two years. The blade was changed but the seat hasn't changed that we know of.

Don't get me started on the dogs (really handlers) from AM's search. One dog handler in particular, not invited by LE, but offered services in AM's search was also part of the Mark Redwine case, she however was never called to testify (very smart move). She would have been shredded in court and rightfully so IMO. She also appeared on a Profiling Evil episode as a dog handler of AM's search (not that poor guys fault, he's a desperate family member of a missing loved one). She makes my blood boil and if you search enough on-line others might come to the same conclusion. Unethical. IMO

@sk716, is it true that one of the daughters told LE that she chatted with Suzanne on Saturday night?

That was said yes. LE I believe also had MM1 and MM2 phones someone correct me if I'm wrong. I tend to think she might have mixed up Friday and Saturday as if she did connect with Suzanne on Saturday night Investigators would have tightened their time line. They start their timeline on mid-day Saturday. Also if there was a
Saturday night conversation defense will be all over it if prosecution starts down the path of Barry chasing Suzanne on Saturday afternoon with a tranquilizer gun. My gut says MM1 or MM2 did not talk to Suzanne Saturday night.

@sk716, is it true that one of the daughters told LE that she chatted with Suzanne on Saturday night?
Yes. At the end of page 5, beginning of page 6 of the AA:
"Sergeant Hysjulien next contacted REDACTED, who stated that she had last talked to Suzanne on the night of May 9, 2020. She had last seen Suzanne at the end of April 2020. REDACTED advised that she had sent a text message to Suzanne wishing her a happy Mother's Day on May 10, 2020, but Suzanne had not replied. She also tried calling Suzanne, but the call went directly to voicemail. At that time, she received a call from Barry, asking if she contacted Suzanne. REDACTED advised him that she attempted to but was not able to reach her. Barry asked REDACTED to let him know if she was later able to reach Suzanne."

ETA: I think it very likely she misremembered which evening she spoke with SM, but LE likely knows for certain based on reviewing cellphone logs.

Don't get me started on the dogs from AM's search. One dog handler in particular, not invited by LE, but offered services in AM's search was also part of the Mark Redwine case, she however was never called to testify (very smart move). She would have been shredded in court and rightfully so IMO. She also appeared on a Profiling Evil episode as a dog handler of AM's search (not that poor guys fault, he's a desperate family member of a missing loved one). She makes my blood boil and if you search enough on-line others might come to the same conclusion. Unethical. IMO
While we are waiting on court, what’s your opinion on the search? Do you believe that Suzanne absolutely could not be in any of the searched locations? Are dogs absolute? Are you comfortable with what was done in this case?

There are a couple of games going on simultaneously. For instance, some here post as though every opening where inference might have a role to play is an off-ramp. Like a giant forever traffic circle.
Could that traffic circle be seen where there are 175 discrete instances of evidence and information that point directly to Barry having murdered Suzanne, but someone asserts that because the phone charger is missing that must mean that Barry isn’t a murderer? A la defense via non sequitur. LOL

Could that traffic circle be seen where there are 175 discrete instances of evidence and information that point directly to Barry having murdered Suzanne, but someone asserts that because the phone charger is missing that must mean that Barry isn’t a murderer? A la defense via non sequitur. LOL
I think those traveling the traffic circle only look at one opening at a time and not the totality of the travel.

I personally think the dog alerts mentioned in the AA are a dead end for the prosecution. There was no biological evidence recovered to test to say what they actually alerted on and to whom or what it belonged to. Some dogs are no longer trained on residual or trace odors, but larger sources to avoid both false positives/false alerts. This kind of stuff gets shredded in court and is usually never enough to make an arrest alone on.

The defense would most likely bring in a SME to scour over the training logs of these dogs, as an example. A certification is not enough and does not speak to the reliability of the dog. They could say is it true that cadaverine is found in decaying plant matter? Has this ever been part of your training, are you knowledgeable about this? Has your dog ever gave a trained final response to compost? Do these dogs that were part of the blind searches train together? Prove they each didn't follow the saliva or butt sit of the previous dog. There are very skilled dog handlers that are ethical that will testify for the defense.

My point, with no actual evidence recovered prove it belonged to a deceased human. IMO

I think alone the hits may be more iffy, however, when considered with the fact act he tampered with the location device, plus recently changed the blade, etc. it makes it seem very very likely to be true.

I took Gregg in HS, too! I don’t remember a thing though. Wish I still had the dictionary, seem to remember it being white with shiny gold lettering on the cover.
Also took typing on manual typewriter lol.
I don't remember having the dictionary. I took typing on a manual typewriter, too. I can still hear the bell at the end of a line ding! Then we had selectric typewriters. My teacher used to say, 'it has a little bouncing ball', lol. Those were the good old days!

I think alone the hits may be more iffy, however, when considered with the fact act he tampered with the location device, plus recently changed the blade, etc. it makes it seem very very likely to be true.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it speculation that he tampered with the bobcat GPS? We know he changed the blade and when and where and we know LE has made the statement (at least at the time of making the statement) the bobcat was not involved. My question would be if someone helped with the blade change....that person would certainly know if he tampered with the GPS during the blade change. I tend to think that would be known to LE and potentially been discussed or considered in addition to other known information behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Yes. At the end of page 5, beginning of page 6 of the AA:
"Sergeant Hysjulien next contacted REDACTED, who stated that she had last talked to Suzanne on the night of May 9, 2020. She had last seen Suzanne at the end of April 2020. REDACTED advised that she had sent a text message to Suzanne wishing her a happy Mother's Day on May 10, 2020, but Suzanne had not replied. She also tried calling Suzanne, but the call went directly to voicemail. At that time, she received a call from Barry, asking if she contacted Suzanne. REDACTED advised him that she attempted to but was not able to reach her. Barry asked REDACTED to let him know if she was later able to reach Suzanne."

ETA: I think it very likely she misremembered which evening she spoke with SM, but LE likely knows for certain based on reviewing cellphone logs.

I quoted my own post here because when I first read it, I remember thinking it an interesting coincidence that Barry called the daughter immediately after she attempted to call (and failed to reach) Suzanne.

I wonder if BM is (or at least at that time was) somehow monitoring the daughter's phones.

Marc Sallinger
@MarcSallinger

·
9m

Replying to
@MarcSallinger
NEW: a judge has DENIED motion by prosecutors to admit prior acts of alleged domestic violence committed by Barry Morphew Prior alleged domestic violence acts committed by Morphew outlined today by prosecutors will NOT be allowed to be introduced as evidence in his murder trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth