Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas what the relationship might be like between BM and defense attorneys?

Do you think he is encouraged that things will go well for him? After all,
what defendent would feel confident hiring unconfident attorneys.

Would defense stay very objective, business-like, not doing much hand holding?

Or might attorneys be heavily preparing BM for guilty verdict with plan for appeal.

I would think all three experiences would be present to some degree but have no idea what this legal relationship would be like.

Really curious about the interpersonal dynamics between BM and legal team?

I don't know any criminal defense attorney to ask...

IMO, SM's issue with BM dabbling in silver was that he borrowed money from their credit line to do so. Commodities are not for short-term minded and in 2020 - there was an oversupply of silver thanks to COVID restrictions. However, unless BM was forced to sell earlier, he likely made a good chunk of change in Feb 2021 when silver hit an eight-year high of $29.585 per ounce, and is expected to outperform gold in 2022.

Silver price forecast for 2022 and beyond: Can the metal rebound?

I'm very curious about how much silver he was trading. It was enough that he felt like he needed to consult with a broker about it frequently. To me, that indicates a rather large investment.

Where's the silver now?

MOO

Why the charger?

IMO it can only mean it was connected to the phone.

Ah, if Suzanne and JL were blowing up their phones, Suzanne may have plugged her phone in to charge alongside her bed where we know she normally kept it (in preparation for her routine, afternoon bike ride).

As far as we know, JL never joined her on WA so she may have moved on.

She showers, dresses, starts a load of laundry -- away from her phone, it's charging, she may be unaware of Barry's calls or seeing that she missed a dozen of them, may have started to answer, then changed her mind.

She may well have been in the laundry room when Barry encountered her --

She may have run for her room because that's where her phone was -- she could've been trying to call for help when Barry barreled through the door, ripping her phone both from her hand and the wall.

And that would explain why it's missing.

JMO
I think the AA described BM's iPhone as much older than SM's missing iPhone and it could have been that he thought he needed her USB-C/18W lightning cable to charge her phone versus his own charger.

I move from anger to disgust when I think about this case but then I arrive at sadness.

It just didn't have to end like this.

Barry could've had an incredible $800,000 house. Working and hunting to his heart's content. His Bobcat and his guns, he said that's all he needed. He could've had a girlfriend or 50 of them. He could have Googled whatever he wanted to. Grill his steak, eat his steak, share it, not share it. Nail deer to every flat surface, whatever made him happy.

And Suzanne could've had her inheritance and her share of their holdings. She could've stayed in Salida another year or two before returning to Indiana if she so chose. Maybe she would have built a life with JL but probably not. He might've been a bridge for her -- that thing that restored a little bit of her old self, giving her the courage to want a better life for herself. Be a life coach, inspire others, keep writing in her journal, building a beautiful life for herself.

But Barry wasn't going to let that happen.

And I just weep over what did happen. At 2:47. I weep hard because the reality is -- it was awful and it wasn't instant. And it was personal. And IMO Suzanne was very aware of what was about to happen, at the hands of the man she tried for so long to satisfy and make happy.

Was there dialogue? Did she ask, why? Did she say, please stop? Did she beg for her life? And Barry? Did he have words? Did he tell her he was sorry or that he was doing this because he loved her? So convoluted. How do you go from sharing a bed with someone for decades to likely killing them there? In the very place where love should be made.

Those gouges mean it was her only defense. I say that because we've seen them before. She probably wasn't even trying to get away at that point; she was probably trying to breath.

As a mother myself, I can't fathom the pain as all the realizations came together in that moment when she knew she was going to die, he was going to kill her -- and I think her last thought was probably two thoughts -- MM1 and MM2, and how much she loved them and didn't want to leave them.

And me, I wasn't planning on crying today but here I am.

Suzanne, I'm so sorry.

We all wish we could have saved you.

JMO

Last edited:
@MassGuy noted the other day that Barry suddenly cut the work day short with MG and headed home within seconds of Suzanne's Facebook password reset.

CCSO seized all of the vehicles and ran the data. If Barry had used Suzanne's RR for anything, it would have been in the AA. MM2's RR did not have the telematics package.

Attachments

• DEBC5D3E-E553-43B7-A6C9-BD288419EAC7.jpeg
    DEBC5D3E-E553-43B7-A6C9-BD288419EAC7.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 46
I'm very curious about how much silver he was trading. It was enough that he felt like he needed to consult with a broker about it frequently. To me, that indicates a rather large investment.

Where's the silver now?

MOO
I believe MG's reference was that BM talked to his broker daily and not that he talked to him daily about silver. I think silver was introduced here by SM in a conversation with SO. I know a lot of people that talk to their brokers daily. I've said it before, BM develops relationships with those that make money for him. And if BM's making money -- so is his broker!

BBM
My best guess at this is that he didn't know exactly how Sunday was going to play out. He went to Broomfield not intending to do ANY work. If he truly expected the girls to be home by noon, then he expected that he himself would be back in Maysville before MG and JP would leave to go to Broomfield. No one would have known that he didn't take it, they would likely assume that he brought it back home not wanting to leave it there unattended for security reasons. Also, he may not have known whether MG and JP would actually go to Broomfield depending on how the day played out with SM's disappearance. He knew HE wasn't going to be freed up to go to Broomfield for several days to tow the Bobcat back and he knew that MG and JP had no way to tow the Bobcat back if he had taken it and left it there. Basically, it comes down to a bad liar. I personally wonder if he ever intended to complete the Broomfield wall job at all.

IMO

I think this is correct

Leaving the bobcat was a tell, but he just never considered the need to stage the job correctly - i don't think it occurred to him that it would become evidence against him.

IMO, SM's issue with BM dabbling in silver was that he borrowed money from their credit line to do so. Commodities are not for short-term minded and in 2020 - there was an oversupply of silver thanks to COVID restrictions. However, unless BM was forced to sell earlier, he likely made a good chunk of change in Feb 2021 when silver hit an eight-year high of $29.585 per ounce, and is expected to outperform gold in 2022.

Silver price forecast for 2022 and beyond: Can the metal rebound?
Yeah...my H liked commodities. He had far more risk tolerance than I around investments. One of the reasons we kept our retirement and saving money completely separate and used a joint account that we both contributed to only for household expenses. I could see why that could be a marital issue since Suzanne was dependent and probably had a different risk tolerance - it's not obvious in that marriage as she does seem to like expensive homes, bikes, etc. and clearly they have taken financial risks during their marriage. And there is plenty of "stuff" for prosecution to use that is not arguable to prove the marriage was on the rocks. I can't see anyone in a jury disagreeing with that if the jury drifts is allowed to discuss a potential motive.

DBM
Double Post

I don't know what I'm allowed to say considering I'm not verified, but I have this knowledge. lol. From my experience there is a big difference in run of the mill criminal cases and high profile ones like this. In the usual case, when you're pretty sure your client is guilty you absolutely prepare them for the worst and focus heavily on plea deals. Because in those cases, you get paid the same regardless of the outcome. You sleep well knowing justice was served and that your client still got good representation and you move on with the next job.

In high profile cases like this, attorneys will often take the case on even a reduced fee basis because if they win, it is like hitting the PR jackpot. I'll fully admit that these women could be super high profile already and I just don't recognize them but if they were not legal superstars before, you better believe they are going to be going for broke to win this case outright. Once you win a major profile case like this you can charge an absolute fortune. If your client takes a plea, not so much.

I don't know what I'm allowed to say considering I'm not verified, but I have this knowledge. lol. From my experience there is a big difference in run of the mill criminal cases and high profile ones like this. In the usual case, when you're pretty sure your client is guilty you absolutely prepare them for the worst and focus heavily on plea deals. Because in those cases, you get paid the same regardless of the outcome. You sleep well knowing justice was served and that your client still got good representation and you move on with the next job.

In high profile cases like this, attorneys will often take the case on even a reduced fee basis because if they win, it is like hitting the PR jackpot. I'll fully admit that these women could be super high profile already and I just don't recognize them but if they were not legal superstars before, you better believe they are going to be going for broke to win this case outright. Once you win a major profile case like this you can charge an absolute fortune. If your client takes a plea, not so much.

This is what happened in McStay

The defence opened the case as if it was their career moment, promising everything under the sun, and a big reveal of the "real killer". They had a documentary crew to cover their genius (no doubt thinking it would be straight to netflix).

Having talked it all up in front of the Jury, they then of course delivered little of the goods, it all got nasty and they lost.

I am sure they thought they'd make millions.

Ok, that's interesting and thank you for replying!
I believe this defense team is very respected and has had remarkable success representing their clients.

Yeah...my H liked commodities. He had far more risk tolerance than I around investments. One of the reasons we kept our retirement and saving money completely separate and used a joint account that we both contributed to only for household expenses. I could see why that could be a marital issue since Suzanne was dependent and probably had a different risk tolerance - it's not obvious in that marriage as she does seem to like expensive homes, bikes, etc. and clearly they have taken financial risks during their marriage. And there is plenty of "stuff" for prosecution to use that is not arguable to prove the marriage was on the rocks. I can't see anyone in a jury disagreeing with that if the jury drifts is allowed to discuss a potential motive.
I think following the money in any case makes for a good motive road map but I tend to agree with the state here in that BM's motive for killing SM goes back to nobody leaves BM except by death.

BM repeatedly told SM that she signed up for life with him and would not speak of divorce. To my knowledge, he never threatened her with statements such as he'd rather go broke in divorce court than agree to a settlement. Instead, he tried to scare SM into not leaving him -- asking who would pay her medical expenses.

While I don't doubt BM had no desire to split their assets, I think he always knew that he'd rather be widowed than divorced-- even if it meant putting SM down with his dart gun. I think he knew about the affair and convinced himself he was somehow "saving" SM by tranquilizing her. IMO, BM really believes he put SM peacefully to sleep.

And BM said he was SM's "ATM" and I have no doubt he is the ATM for others as well. JMO (quoted from last thread)

Each time I see something written along this vein I become rankled. It speaks to dominance and misogyny on so many levels and only an un-enlightened man-boy would think it is an okay thing to brag about. I wonder how it made Suzanne feel, each time she heard it? I doubt it was grateful.

Perhaps it became an inside joke within their family unit? Who knows?

In my family, my husband is the only one working outside the home. I have at times worked outside the home and other times did not. No matter what the dynaic was, I never have felt I don't deserve any of the money or to spend money. I don't "ask" for money, matter of fact I pay the bills and have a much better grasp on what we have and where, what we owe to who, when things get paid, etc. I handled the bills. Being home with the kids is a family decision and the money earned by anyone is also "family" money. It really really bothers me when either partner/parent is at home and the one working outside the home behaves as if that is only their money and they can say what others can and can't do. I get having discussions and in my family we do discuss larger purchases, just out of respect. I can't think of a single time my spouse has said they didn't want me to get something I wanted to purchase. It's just so sad to me that someone dedicating their time to being home for their children, to take care of the home and in Suzanne's case it seems she volunteered, she was getting cancer treatment, working on her health, etc... and he is her ATM. It is a form of control and abuse.

When these things are mentioned, I try to think of my own relationship and if something is said, could it be a joke, or just I don't know odd wording and just maybe find a rational reason it was said. I can't come up with one here. Why a husband would say that to LE when his wife is missing. He must think it's okay and he is the ATM. Otherwise, why say that? I feel Barry repeatedly inserted these comments.

men need sex that is all
referencing his daughters viginity and being the only virgin at her school
he is Suzanne's ATM
all I have left is hunting

It's like he is just so just I don't know...

Dexter! Is a bolt of plastic sheeting missing from PP? All that activity Saturday night and Sunday morning, was he evidence-proofing his truck? Plastic sheeting and duct tape?

He saw no need to clean the inside of his truck afterwards!

JMO

Well and a hunter would know how to blood proof an area if they wanted to cut up an animal and process it without a mess. I am not saying he cut her up, but he would know and likely be thinking about that since he has processed animals before and likely over time found ways to make that process less messy. I am sure he could have thought of some ways to not leave evidence all over the place.

If I killed my spouse, I would hire them.

Per the bag Barry is carrying down the hallway at the HIE, that appeared to have a helmet in it. See Exhibit 75 from his truck interior.

Could this be the helmet-shaped item we see?

It's his fireman's helmet.

If it is his own helmet, why did he take that in to the hotel?
Now that's interesting.

Didn't BM try to float at the very begining he was at a firemen's training?

While I don't doubt BM had no desire to split their assets, I think he always knew that he'd rather be widowed than divorced-- even if it meant putting SM down with his dart gun.

BIB

I posted my thought's earlier today on the nature of the murder - the apparent cold blooded nature of it.

I think you just absolutely nailed it. He'd rather just snuff her out than get a divorce like normal people.

@MassGuy noted the other day that Barry suddenly cut the work day short with MG and headed home within seconds of Suzanne's Facebook password reset.

CCSO seized all of the vehicles and ran the data. If Barry had used Suzanne's RR for anything, it would have been in the AA. MM2's RR did not have the telematics package.

I believe it's noted in the AA that the telematics for Suzanne's vehicle were not complete yet at the time of the AA being written. I don't know how a year later, but maybe backlog? Going to check the exact wording, but I recall it was noted they did not have any data for her vehicle yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams