Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thought on the DV aspect of this. Suzanne seemed to be a quiet maybe more reserved person. She likely didn't like things to be loud (just my thinking) and I'd bet she didn't like turmoil at all. Maybe kept the peace and went along with things for a long time just to avoid conflicts. I recall he either said or she mentioned in texts that he would "hold her down".. that is pretty terrifying in itself without being punched or physically injured. Just the act of restraining someone and not letting them leave an area or a situation is scary.

Thanks for clarifying @crhedBngr.

Cal/Amp specifically states that they utilize cellular technology to monitor and provide data. IMO, that statement tells me that the service provider may factor into the answer to OP's question.

From the AA, we know that BM was using VerizonConnect service.

Also, Bobcat did an upgrade in 2019 when it launched Machine IQ Wireless so the information available today for reference may not be applicable to BM's 2018 OEM asset tracker device by Cal/Amp.

In the tech world where obsoletion seems to happen overnight, we should probably consider Verizon's own migration to a different technology where the old (CDMA) does not require a SIM and the new (GSM) should require a SIM, and where removing the SIM card from the device would probably disable the GPS service.

A few years ago when I had Verizon service where they used CDMA, there was no (removable) SIM required for service. According to Colorado's KKTV Verizon is still migrating from CDMA, making a move to 5G, but not ending service/support for CDMA until December 31, 2022.

By converting to GSM (Global System for Mobile), Verizon service should require a SIM for service. However, if the 2018 OEM Cal/Amp device is married to Verizon, there's always the chance that the hardware is still using CDMA where the tracker might work without the SIM. If BM upgraded his hardware after 2018 and confirmed the new device also migrated to GSM Verizon, then IMO, removing the SIM would probably disable the tracker.

From VerizonConnect's site:

What is a GPS tracker?

A GPS tracker, or black box, is a small piece of hardware, sometimes smaller than a cellphone. It typically includes a slot for a SIM card and a plug, normally OBD-II, to connect it to a vehicle.

A GPS tracker receives a GPS signal and sends location information, along with other vehicle data, back to a fleet management system via cellular 3G, 4G LTE, CDMA or satellite networks. Using your vehicle tracking system, you can then monitor your fleet in near real time.

OEM (factory-fitted) devices
These devices can be installed as standard or as an optional extra by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in new vehicles (organized by the dealer). Verizon Connect offers OEM solutions for Ford, GM, Hino, John Deere, Mack, Ram and Volvo trucks and equipment.

Aftermarket GPS devices
Normally installed by a technician, hard-wired vehicle GPS trackers are connected to a vehicle’s wiring harness in a hidden location to reduce tampering. Aftermarket devices are preferred when adding features like power takeoff (PTO) monitoring, driver monitoring and fleet dashcams to your GPS fleet tracking solution.

How does the server identify each different GPS tracker?
Each GPS tracking device has a unique code, known as an International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number. This code allows the GPS tracking software to match the GPS tracker in the tracked vehicle to the moving marker you see on the screen.

https://www.verizonconnect.com/features/gps-tracking-devices/

ETA:

I also did some experimenting with an activated GSM SIM and based on my results, I don't believe that BM could switch his bobcat SIM card even with another bobcat.

Since the primary purpose of Bobcat's Cal/Amp device is Asset tracker/theft protection, I believe BM's OEM Cal/Amp device is locked and would reject another SIM with a warning that the SIM is not provisioned. It follows that the device IMEI number is paired with the SIM, and changing the SIM would most likely require 3rd party intervention from Verizon. JMO

Mobile providers to shut down 3G network; what you need to know to stay connected

Telematics and Tracking Devices

Interesting analysis Seattle!

This all makes sense to me. Some general notes that might be useful to this.

GPS receivers are passive. i.e they simply receive a signal from GPS satellites which allows them to position themselves. As with your smart phone, there is then a separate cellular radio that can send and receive via the cell tower network. A SIM is required to connect to the cellular network and authorise.

So it seems the bobcat receives the GPS signal, then uses its cellular module to transmit that and other data to the cloud. Possibly the data is also stored on the bobcat.

In theory, if the SIM were removed, the bobcat location would still be tracked - but not uploaded (no SIM). However as you say, the whole point is that the anti-theft functionality prevents the bobcat from being used, if the correct SIM is not present

It's really hard to see how the Bobcat can have played a role.

Personally I think the defence just filed an incomplete exhibit record and there is no missing data.

Seeing as both the defence and prosecution appear to agree that the bobcat was simply dismounted and parked where it was found, this point isn't in dispute at trial.

During those 6 minutes, I'd like to know if Barry switched his own blade -- from his working one to his worst one -- before heading to Salida to suddenly need a brand new blade.

Dogs alerted to an unused blade.

But also to where Barry sat.

Barry is the common denominator.

What are we missing?

JMO

Disposal. What would he have done with the used old blade? He wouldn't have taken it reeking of cadaverine back to PP and all over town. But I think dumping the blade with the body would also give him completely away if it was ever found (kind of like why I believe he didn't just leave all that other evidence with her either).

I think we should be looking for a mine shaft near a water source like a lake. That would give him a place to dump the blade and also wash off with hot tub supplies before getting back into the vehicle.

Agreed. I think that would have been explicitly stated if that was the case.

The Bobcat is weird, as I believed (up until the AA) that it was involved. The dog hits certainly lend credence to that, and Necrosearch has some really capable people and dogs.

Unless something has changed though, it's a really frustrating red herring.

I do think we'll hear a theory at trial.

I think he moved it at 16:44 before he showered. He had to drop the trailer to be able to close the garage door. Chemo may speed up the development of cadaverine. It's all super scientific and relates to an enzyme or amino acids in the chemo (Sidenote, some really interesting things are going on with cadaverine and cancer.). He would have touched the trailer to get the Bobcat off of it.

Speaking of the trailer, a week or so ago there was discussion of how he got the Bobcat off the trailer. The answer was in the DSi surveillance pics. The trailer itself drops.
People Exhibits Prelim Hearing_Page_85c.png
The People’s Exhibits – Find Suzanne Morphew

Just for the heck of it I matched up the times the “unknown device” associated with BM’s cellphone and BM’s activities around Mother’s Day to see if it would tell us anything. The one thing that stands out to me is that BM was usually off by himself when this happened. Don’t know if it means anything.
Didn’t MG say at one point that BM had a second phone that he did not turn over to LE?
Excellent!!

close to keep tabs on disposal site?
ScreenHunter 1305.png
Google Earth

The yellow line are ATV trails. The abandoned mine shafts were located using ArcGIS maps.

SA Grusing asked Barry what he did about searching difficult places, like mineshafts. He said, “We did. We searched every mineshaft in this area.”

SA Grusing asked if vertical shafts were in the area, and Barry replied, “Yeah, there’s one behind the house that’s on the very top, but it’s plugged by a boulder. They plugged it. It doesn’t go, I mean it goes straight down and they plugged it.” When asked if there were more, he added, “There’s another one, but it’s been blown up – by the house. I don’t know of anything open by the house. The ones in Garfield are open, the ones up 240 are open.”

Note how he says there are only two shafts behind the house. The US Geological Survey says there are at least three right behind his house. There are a lot more in the immediate vicinity.

I don't think you'd want it a forgone conclusion that you committed the crime if the body is ever found. If he disposed of that stuff with the body he knows he's 100% screwed.

I proposed yesterday that BM may have used MM2's RR (that he knew with complete certainty didn't have telematics) to dump the body. Now, if he did that, he couldn't take her truck on to Broomfield without giving his game away. If he had to go back to PP, unhitch the trailer, change to tow hitch back over to his truck and stage the bike all before sunrise he may not have had time to do his dumpster drops prior to Broomfield. BM admitted to dropping tranq material so I don't believe it was simply a red herring.

Although I do wonder if someone didn't come behind him at the dumpsters to move the evidence to a different site. He seems to have a lot of friends who like dumpsters.
True but the world was his oyster why use obvious trash cans with cameras? He’s not too crafty I guess.

I agree. This also makes me think of the missing coolers. Did he take her body out after dark, when his phone went into airplane mode, dismember her away from the home, place it in coolers, then distribute those coolers in various nearby mines?
Usually a body is dismembered to make it easier to conceal, not just to separate the parts.
So BM separates the trash. Why? Even though LE reportedly found no blood evidence in the home, BM may have gotten blood or bodily fluids on him when he was disposing of the body. His clothes could be contaminated with those fluids and with cadaverine if he was in contact with the body several hours after her death. To me this also shows guilt because if it was merely dna cells that were on the items that BM discarded, they could be easily explained because they were husband and wife. BM knew those items contained evidence.
Also, LE reported that BM’s truck was filthy inside when he returned home on Sunday evening. Why was it filthy if, as BM reported, he was merely cleaning his truck during all those trash dumps?

I don't think he dismembered her. It creates more evidence and greater time investment. Not to mention the psychological makeup required.

He has often mentioned water.
What if after tranquilizing Suzanne he placed her either face-down or submerged in a body of water to drown. This is a hands-off approach to killing her.

Then he transports her body to disposal area. Discards or buries.

Her cause of death would be drowning...and technically he did not kill her!

At least in his mind.

JMO

When JL asked if Suzanne was afraid that Barry would hurt her, she replied that he “would never cross that line. He’s learned”. (pgs 14-15 of AA)

How did he learn? Did Suzanne leave him? Were there bruises? I wonder if it was documented in her journal. There had to be some sort of repercussion. He didn’t seem overly regretful about clipping his missing wife’s nose, so I can’t imagine he learned anything unless there was a consequence.

If MW was the last of his trash dumps, outside of what he was accumulating at the hotel, perhaps MW was all about removing whatever he probably lined his truck with.

JMO

I've got to point a very serious flaw in this logic. If for any reason he got pulled over on the way to Broomfield, having any part of his truck lined with visqueen would raise serious red flags. He's not that stupid. We saw how he carried things into the hotel and to the HIE dumpster, in shopping bags and handfuls. He wasn't worried about bodily fluids or DNA.

I don't think he dismembered her. It creates more evidence and greater time investment. Not to mention the psychological makeup required.

He has often mentioned water.
What if after tranquilizing Suzanne he placed her either face-down or submerged in a body of water to drown. This is a hands-off approach to killing her.

Then he transports her body to disposal area. Discards or buries.

Her cause of death would be drowning...and technically he did not kill her!

At least in his mind.

JMO
If Suzanne “got in the water” and was tranqued at the time, she would have drowned? How detailed would a tox screen be? Is whatever is in deer tranquilizer part of normal tox screening, and would it dissipate or be present if it was in her system at time of death?

I agree. This also makes me think of the missing coolers. Did he take her body out after dark, when his phone went into airplane mode, dismember her away from the home, place it in coolers, then distribute those coolers in various nearby mines?
Usually a body is dismembered to make it easier to conceal, not just to separate the parts.
So BM separates the trash. Why? Even though LE reportedly found no blood evidence in the home, BM may have gotten blood or bodily fluids on him when he was disposing of the body. His clothes could be contaminated with those fluids and with cadaverine if he was in contact with the body several hours after her death. To me this also shows guilt because if it was merely dna cells that were on the items that BM discarded, they could be easily explained because they were husband and wife. BM knew those items contained evidence.
Also, LE reported that BM’s truck was filthy inside when he returned home on Sunday evening. Why was it filthy if, as BM reported, he was merely cleaning his truck during all those trash dumps?
If the Cushmans were away that weekend I wonder if BM could have buried Suzanne somewhere on their property - the backroad from his home to theirs would guarantee privacy and someone (SD ?) could have been there waiting to assist.

I agree but then maybe he wasn’t so good at hiding her body. Maybe it will be found. I just hope it’s soon.

Following @MassGuy 's tip i listened to the audio book of No Stone Unturned and it gave me a new appreciation for how in the wilderness of a place like Colorado, a body could remain hidden for years, even though not particularly cleverly concealed.

Sometimes crooks just get lucky for a while.

The lot on the other side of the Cushman's is an AirBNB.
Yes, but that’s on the other side of 225, I believe. The Airbnb is at 8490 cr225.

Attachments

• 3A085867-FF3E-4278-B7D8-9350FF403411.jpeg
    3A085867-FF3E-4278-B7D8-9350FF403411.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 41
  • 29A0B8D1-A858-4BA6-88AE-E46FE55349D1.jpeg
    29A0B8D1-A858-4BA6-88AE-E46FE55349D1.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 52E0FD13-A6E2-40D3-A96C-287194AF720C.jpeg
    52E0FD13-A6E2-40D3-A96C-287194AF720C.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 42
  • D2661D90-FFFC-45E9-BD8E-5A5118556B1D.jpeg
    D2661D90-FFFC-45E9-BD8E-5A5118556B1D.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
If Suzanne “got in the water” and was tranqued at the time, she would have drowned? How detailed would a tox screen be? Is whatever is in deer tranquilizer part of normal tox screening, and would it dissipate or be present if it was in her system at time of death?

I believe a tranquilized person would drown if placed in water.
I don't know how toxicology would play out...
Guess depends on the drug used
Body decomp
LE ordering labs

If MW was the last of his trash dumps, outside of what he was accumulating at the hotel, perhaps MW was all about removing whatever he probably lined his truck with.

JMO
Both truck doors opened and closed at least 7 times at this stop.
Someone ( wish I could remember) posted the other day that perhaps he realized the dart syringe cap wasn’t with him and he was frantically searching the cab of the truck for it.
I can picture that.
JMO

Attachments

• AD0FE5AC-C11B-409A-B671-6E894A5678A7.jpeg
    AD0FE5AC-C11B-409A-B671-6E894A5678A7.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 8
True but the world was his oyster why use obvious trash cans with cameras? He’s not too crafty I guess.

I could be wrong, but I THINK the cameras were on adjacent businesses. So may not have realized it. He's also got a very limited time period to do all this stuff while at the same time maintaining his alibi. He can't legally work at the site on Sunday and he knows that, so he's banking on the hotel cameras to establish his whereabouts. He can't go too far away from there. He also knows the call will come any minute and he's got to do his little song and dance with the shovels in the lobby.

Yes, but he was increasingly becoming physically abusive, according to her texts and I believe it. He did, after all, murder her.

eta: If she'd experienced his physical abuse all of those years, she may have suppressed it. Maybe a raising of a hand to stifle her. Maybe he used that hand on occasion. Women often suppress that and don't tell anyone. It's shameful in their minds. I'm inclined to believe that's what happened throughout their marriage. AND yes, his emotional and verbal abuse will diminish a woman's self-esteem making her more, what's the word, agreeable?
I highly doubt he'd not gotten physical before but if she 'behaved', well, all was okay again.
IMO

From what I know of the kind that likes to hit, they always find a reason to hit. Cowering and complicity do not stop the beatings. Barry doesn't seem like he enjoyed physical conflict. He works outside with dirt and rocks and that's one of those job fields that generally curbs aggression since it is so physical, it also tends to attract anti-social types but Barry was certainly not that. I'm not saying Barry never got physical, just that it doesn't seem to be his default setting. His default is for manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valafares