Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
M
Pretty good recap (minus DNA bluff that may live on forever :( ) for those following or intro for those not, including the potential backing up of the truck to access the older model Range Rover in the garage, a vehicle with no telematics.

So... maybe he did leave in the dark to take the most important evidence to where it has not been found YET. Only question: his truck would having been backing down the driveway AWAY from the house, right?

Digital vehicle forensics reveal suspicious activity
Barry Morphew's truck
CHAFFEE COUNTY DISTRICT COURT
Authorities say Barry Morphew told them he went to bed around 8 p.m. on May 9, but his truck's computer shows the truck, seen here in this evidence photo, was put in reverse and backed up towards the house around 9:30 p.m.

Evidence in the Suzanne Morphew case

JMO
Depends.
Is there location data?

It never ceases to amaze me how people can't see what's right in front of them.

RSBM

IMO motivated/conspiratorial reasoning plays a big role.

If you are predisposed to be sceptical about domestic abuse, the government etc, its easier to think somehow this is all a mistake and speculate away the evidence

95 feet it backed up according to prosecution. I wonder why 95 feet…

In order to offload the bobcat

Where is @sk716 - she was the master on all this?

ETA - in any event it's quite a critical piece of evidence because the bobcat and trailer were found exactly where the telematics suggested and IIRC, we also know that the bobcat telematics moved as well.

This makes it hard for the defence to attack the accuracy of the truck telematics.

Last edited:
It was reported that that photo of BM laying on the ground in such a dramatic fashion was taken at Whitepine Cemetery. According to this article Whitepine Cemetery lies within town limits. Town Profiles: Whitepine
BM would pass by CR888, the road to Whitepine every time he went to visit MM1 in Gunnison. The town has a few summer cabins and is mostly a ghost town. It is also the site of the old Akron Mine. A bit further north is the North Star Mine.
Akron Mine seems to be the most accessible of the two. It is a little less than an hours drive from Puma Path, about 28 miles.
The linked article says there is a shortcut, Old Monarch Pass Rd, that you can take to Whitepine. I’ve marked it on one of the maps. I don’t know if that road would be passable in early May.
The issue with Whitepine was that SA Grusing tells BM that they did not see him pass on the Monarch cctv which he would have done if he had stayed on 50 west.
Why would BM decide to search for his missing wife up near this cemetery in an old ghost town ?

Thank you for your work locating these mines, @OldCop!

I wonder where Barry had "searched" just prior to the buttpalm on WP. Without that photograph/ documentation, we'd never have known about that moment. And it's a push-pin moment. Why did Barry react like that? Why then? Why there?

Might he have just visited the mine where he'd concealed her and was smug with delight with his ability? Wasn't he with a friend at the time, a member of the search party? Someone who he didn't think would record that dive nor associate it with the mine they may have visited in the previous 5, 15, 30 minutes. Just assume it was some sort of earthy display of grief --

IMO we need to consider two mines -- one for Suzanne and the other, for her phone.

Excellent mapping, @OldCop. I think he may thrown Suzanne's phone into the old mines up by Garfield. Without ever exiting his vehicle.

JMO

M

Depends.
Is there location data?
Only a sparse amount of location data has entered the public domain. But I trust the AA.

Several folks on here have compiled location data released by both sides. I believe @sk716 was putting it into Excel and sharing it for analysis at [findsuzannemorphew . tk], which has a suspended account.

Maybe some fellow sleuthers will enlighten us.....

JMO

He's got an entire crew of gullible supporters back in Indiana, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up back there.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can't see what's right in front of them.
He also burnt a bunch of bridges here in Indiana...and that was before he disappeared his wife. I don't think the reception here in Indiana would be so cordial. His reputation preceeds him.

Pretty good recap (minus DNA bluff that may live on forever :( ) for those following or intro for those not, including the potential backing up of the truck to access the older model Range Rover in the garage, a vehicle with no telematics.

So... maybe he did leave in the dark to take the most important evidence to where it has not been found YET. Only question: his truck would having been backing down the driveway AWAY from the house, right?

Digital vehicle forensics reveal suspicious activity
Barry Morphew's truck
CHAFFEE COUNTY DISTRICT COURT
Authorities say Barry Morphew told them he went to bed around 8 p.m. on May 9, but his truck's computer shows the truck, seen here in this evidence photo, was put in reverse and backed up towards the house around 9:30 p.m.

Evidence in the Suzanne Morphew case

JMO
An amateur injection here....but Barry backing up to the garage does not negate the opportunity for him to take the RR out afterwards....it isn't a one car garage....he could easily have backed up to it without blocking the RR in. In fact, it could have provided some cover.

Barry will be searching for Suzanne like I'll be searching for my Ex. It's laughable. I believe dropping the charges has propelled others to find Suzanne with renewed motivation to that end. I hope Tig will help organize another grid search, too. She must be found!

APR 19, 2022

A Fremont County judge’s move Tuesday to dismiss the case against Barry Morphew clears him of charges for the moment, but potentially not long term. Comments under vid are most curious.

moo

An amateur injection here....but Barry backing up to the garage does not negate the opportunity for him to take the RR out afterwards....it isn't a one car garage....he could easily have backed up to it without blocking the RR in. In fact, it could have provided some cover.
Who knows? An early scenario proposed here was he was very angry when she didn't answer 10+ phone calls in a row as he drove back to PP. Parking in front of the garage doors straight in would have saved time and concealed his rig to some degree as he grabbed his gun and started running around outside the house. Usually he would offload the bobcat & trailer and park the truck in front of the house.

I haven't analyzed any telematics data. Just recalling what others proposed as data became public.

BM doesn't dispute running around his property with a gun at this time. He confirmed that to Grusing.

Whether the older Range Rover was used to help move her body is pure speculation, as is any potential reason why he backed up the truck. IIRC all we really know is that truck movement is verified by data.

MOO

The driveway and parking area at PP is large, not just a lane to/from the garage.

If, as has been speculated, he initially parked blocking the garages upon first arriving home, his backing 95 feet could have brought the trailer containing the Bobcat very close to where they were observed to be once LE/news video were on scene.

That would involve him backing away from the garage, but alongside the house, towards the creek, rather than backing back "down the driveway" like someone asked about recently.

MOO

It is my theory that Barry wanted to catch Suzanne at home, before she left for her Saturday afternoon bike ride.

He raced home, rage mounting, and pulled right up to the RR bay of their garage, leaving his door open.

Later, he backed his truck up, to the area where his trailer and Bobcat remained, also freeing access to the RR.

I think Barry left his truck parked from then on, until the early morning. IF Barry used his Bobcat, then he untrailered his trailer from the truck Saturday night, trailering it to the RR or a different vehicle.

Regardless it is my opinion that, when Barry reunited with his truck around 3:30 in the morning on Mother's Day, he positioned the Bobcat adjacent to the trailer, as oriented when LE locked PP down.

I think Barry was in contact with a deceased body within 12 hours of expiring. Barefoot but wearing cadaverine, Barry walked onto his trailer, stepped into the bucket of his Bobcat, and from there, climbed into the cab, where he snd cadaverine sat for a brief period of time, while he drove it off the trailer.

He may or may not have used the Bobcat for the purposes of concealment, but IMO there's a smoking gun here. Despite all his careful planning, I think he inadvertantly transferred cadaverine to his Bobcat. This blows all other possibilities out of the water. Gone girl, Cat, lover, abductor.

I don't know why Barry didn't take his beloved Bobcat to Broomfield. That makes no sense to me. Weakens his wallibi. He must really, really, really have wanted LE to see his abandoned Bobcat and find it innocent of involvement. But again, so too if it was in Broomfield all day.

One thing I hadn't considered until recently is this -- from upthread, someone referred to a log across a path --

Perhaps Barry used the Bobcat to create a diversion. If a mountain trail had a log blocking it, arranged by a landscaper who labored to create the vignette, LE might choose not to check further, determining the route to be impenetrable. Did Barry create a "natural" roadblock?

Busy B was very busy.

JMO

RSBM. This Daily Beast article is worth reading in its entirety, and saving for reference. Although LE declined to offer their perspective and no prosecutor offered comments supporting Linda Stanley or criticizing Judge L, the article balances the defense comments with a good, persuasive summary of the case against BM.

It's really telling, to me, that no prosecutors are publicly supporting the DA's handling of this case. Some WSers have given me hope that the U.S. Attorney will pick it up if SM's remains are found. That would be a blessing.

Grusing asks if there are any vertical shafts in the area.

Barry's own words (AA. P 85/87):

"Yeah, there's one behind the house that's on the very top, but it's plugged by a boulder. They plugged it. It doesn't go, I mean it goes straight down, and they plugged it."

When asked if there were more, he added

"There's another one, but it's been blown up -- by the house. I don't know of anything open by the house."

Bears investigating.

JMO

Colorado Judicial Branch - Chaffee - Cases of Interest - People of the State of Colorado v. Barry Lee Morphew

Anyone or @OldCop know any more about the location of the mine they are referring to in the AA? The one "by the house" (see BBM in Megnut's post above). I think it's interesting that Barry says it was "blown up," and that there was that fire near the Morphew home just days before Suzanne went missing.

The other mine Barry mentioned, plugged by the boulder, who plugged it with a boulder, when, and how? Could one damage the blade of a bobcat plugging a mine with a boulder? (I admittedly have no knowledge about mines and how that would even work).

I was the one @Megnut who saw the log blocking any entrance to 226 from 225. It truly looked like someone had intentionally blocked that road with a tree trunk. (I wish I had taken a photo, but I was legit terrified being near the house with Barry lurking, and I was also feeling intrusive. I took a photo of Suzanne's memorial and skidaddled.)

Barry will be searching for Suzanne like I'll be searching for my Ex. It's laughable. I believe dropping the charges has propelled others to find Suzanne with renewed motivation to that end. I hope Tig will help organize another grid search, too. She must be found!

APR 19, 2022

A Fremont County judge’s move Tuesday to dismiss the case against Barry Morphew clears him of charges for the moment, but potentially not long term. Comments under vid are most curious.

moo

Looking at that video still, I realised that I'd forgotten about how much effort Barry put into changing his appearance prior to Suzanne's disappearance to after Suzanne's disappearance - he was really trying hard for something/someone wasn't he? Barely any time spent looking for Suzanne, I imagine a whole heap of time was spent looking in a mirror though :cool:

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members