Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be inhumane.

Better to tranq it and saw the rudder off.

Far as I csn tell, his moral code is already adrift.

Maybe he can forget Suzanne, but we won't.

Jmo
LOL!! I just spit soda all over my laptop! It's fairly new, but I don't really care because I needed the laugh! So, thank you very much!:)

Suzanne’s Remains - (Much IMO)

(A.) I’ve studied this case since two weeks after Suzanne’s murder. For 2 years. I’ read nearly every post and comment on both Reddit and most of Websleuth’s until the trial. Since then I’ve mainly scanned the sites for something new.

That said, I’ve had several theories about where Barry disposed of her body. All theories were based upon my understanding of the facts at the time.

I’ve always thought that he wrapped her in a tarp and double duct taped each seam before he moved the body. Hence, no DNA evidence for days.

1. My first thought was in a dumpster behind a gas station on the way to Broomfield. This didn’t last long.
  2. My next was in a pond, visible from the Broomfield job site. Another discard.
  3. Then, the theory that he disposed of her in a commercial dumpster at one of his four morning stops in Broomfield.
  4. Finally, the “Mine Shaft” theory. This assumed that he must have dumped her in one of the hundreds of old abandoned mine sites in Chaffee County. He had hunted these areas on foot. He had the old Range Rover in the driveway and it did not have a GPS recording system. I held onto this for about two years and defended it against all comers. Now I realize that it was folly. My apologies.
(B.) Disproving the “Mine Shaft” theory:

1. As one goes up the slopes the snow pack gets deeper and deeper. The medium to high elevations were covered by deep snow. Barry knew that he might get stuck or slide off the road. Plus, even if the abandoned mine shaft was somewhat near the road, he would have left tracks and drag marks between the road and the mine. Too risky.
  2. Barry’s most clever move was when he went .8 mile “westish” on US. 50 from the bike site and tossed her biking helmet about 20’ off the edge of 50. That location indicated the direction of travel of her abductors.
  3. Barry didn’t want any chance of her being found. Sooo, why would he go westish to dispose of her body after pointing LE in that direction.
(C.) Conclusion: Suzanne must have been dumped in a Broomfield dumpster site! He had spent an inordinate amount of time at one. He had to be making sure that the “coast was clear”.

1. Barry readily admitted that he illegally disposed of his work trash in commercial dumpsters. He did it as a cover in case cameras caught him in Broomfield. But it also tells us that he was familiar with dumpsters.
  2. Barry counted on there not being many people being out and around on Sunday - Mother’s Day.
  3. Barry went to four dumpsters and disposed of evidence. Why four? He didn’t have THAT much in his truck! Answer: He was looking for one that was nearly full … an indication that it would soon be picked up! That would also give him material to loosely cover the tarp wrapped body.
  4. Barry showered twice in the hotel room. Why? He had just carried Suzanne’s remains! OUT DAMN SPOT!!!!!
  5. Her remains are in a Denver area landfill - never to be found.
Finally realizing that Suzanne will never be found gives me no joy.

I’m hoping a new DA will not wait for remains and have the “smarts” and “guts” to effectively try him again. And get a conviction.

i think the dumpster theory is a strong possibility

Was hoping he’d have a Park County charge unknown previously
It’s still under the case number 2022CR47 assigned in Fremont County after venue changed from Chaffee County- the Murder case.

I just thought it was odd. Maybe it’s just for the convenience of one or some of the parties who have to attend in person?

Not even sure who represents the Prosecution at this point. Hurlbert, maybe?

Maybe IE requested it for her and BM because they are “not very popular “ in the other counties.
I dunno.

C8097FCE-809D-4817-83E5-3D2D7EB4D6AC.jpeg

Judge Hunter will allow public webex to view.

Meeting number (access code): 927 663 273

Join by phone
Tap to call in from a mobile device (attendees only)
+1-415-655-0001 US Toll
+1-720-650-7664 United States Toll (Denver)
Access code: 927 663 273 # #
Global call-in numbers

Join from a video conferencing system or application
Dial judgehunter@judicial.webex.com
You can also dial 173.243.2.68 and enter your meeting number.
If you are the host, you can also enter your host PIN in your video conferencing system or application to start the meeting.

Monday, June 26th:
*Motions Hearing (Fremont County) (@ 8:30am MT) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 55) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. (BM is charged with murder & DV enhanced because Colorado does not provide for DV as an independent charge). The possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) charge has been severed from other charges. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21. Fremont County
Trial was set to begin on 4/28/22Case was dismissed without prejudice on 4/19/22.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond. *Charged (5/5/21) with a felony of influencing public servants. This last charge was dismissed with the murder charges. Chaffee County
Plead guilty (7/21/22) to a plea agreement. Morphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. Plus 32 hours of community service. Two other charges – attempt to influence a public servant & election mail ballot offense – were dismissed as part of the plea agreement. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence. Morphew was fined & assessed court costs of $600. Barring a reversal, the deferred judgment will end on June 21, 2023. Should he run afoul of the agreement, Morphew faces up to six years in prison if there are extraordinary or aggravating circumstances. Case was reopened on 8/16/22.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 9/7/22 reference post #273 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...se-dismissed-w-o-prejudice-105.637430/page-14

10/25/22 Update: Fremont County: Recap of the Motions hearing, after BM's defense attorney IE spoke for about 20 minutes, Prosecutor Hurlbert addressed the court for about 6 minutes where he did say that the State does not need SM's body to prosecute her murder case. Hurlbert also cited the following 40-year case below that was solved by advancements with DNA that Hulbert told the court can also happen here, and why the state should not release BM's property held in evidence. At the conclusion of the prosecution's argument, Judge Groome immediately denied the defense's motion. Judge won't be presiding over the case in the future, he is retiring. For Chafee County: Forgery case: Morphew has a review hearing set for 11/28/22. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence. No hearing happened on 11/28/22.
2/15/23 Update: Order granting Motion to Terminate Guardianship. 5/2/23 Update: Morphew files a Civil case. Scheduling conference hearing on 8/29/23.
6/2/23 Update: Fremont County: Next motions hearing on 6/26/23 @ 8:30am. Per Lauren Scharf: “The hearing is to address motions to limit public access to certain documents, according to the court. The motions hadn’t been discussed before the case was dismissed.”
6/11/23 Update: Attorneys for Morphew are trying to change his dismissal ruling from without prejudice to with prejudice. In a motion filed on April 18, 2023 elected DA Linda Stanley states that Morphew's Attorney Iris Eytan is asking for a judge to set a date when this dismissal ruling can be changed. Stanley argues in the motion that, "Crim. P. Rule 55.1(7) in no way states a court can change a dismissal without prejudice to a dismissal with prejudice at a date certain," Stanley's motion reads. To be discussed: Proposed Order re: Motion to Stay & Objection filed by defense on 4/14/83.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay