Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think he may have been in the presence of smoke. And he couldn't shake the stench of it, literally oozing from his pores. But it's equally possible he was paranoid about DNA and cadaverine... shower, change, dumpster, shower, change, dumpster. Go away, Spot

Jmo
Smoke? He was contaminated. I can buy the smoke theory. Yes indeed.

Just clean up the mess and arrest him. There's so much evidence they can barry him. And don't be afraid of his attorney. She is not a problem unless they let her be.

JMO

Last edited:
Carol McKinley weighs in on todays hearing
At the end of the article it says the nephew has asked Jared Polis to get involved. Jared is Gov of CO.

[…]

During a hearing Monday, District Court Judge Amanda Hunter denied Barry Morphew’s request to reconsider a previous ruling relating to public access to the information contained within the case alleging that Morphew killed his wife.

Hunter’s ruling affirms her April 13 orders denying six motions (five by the defense and one by the prosecution) to limit public access.

In her order, she stated that in a criminal case, court records are “presumed to be accessible to the public” and to deny the public access to a court record or any part of a court record, the Court must follow certain procedures unless the record is inaccessible to the public pursuant to other statute, rule, regulation or Chief Justice Directive.

“While it may be legally possible for Mr. Morphew to be tried in this matter, whether and when he will be tried is a matter of speculation,” Hunter’s order states. “The arguments advanced by Mr. Morphew that relate to the proximity of trial and the ability to impanel a jury are significantly weakened by the dismissal of charges. The same conclusion is reached with respect to his argument that his right to a fair trial will be damaged by release of the records.”

“Even an attempt to impose a delay in the release of the records in order to ‘wait and see’ if Mr. Morphew is prosecuted a second time would be speculative,” Hunter’s order states. “It would also subject to later argument that the Court should continue to extend such ‘wait and see’ period. Such a decision would negate the Rule’s clear language demanding that any orders limiting public access not be indefinite. The Court cannot identify any substantial interests that would allow such a deviation from the Rule. Without a pending case and a looming trial date, the substantial interests cited by Mr. Morphew fail to override the presumptive public access to the court records.”

[…]

Three years after Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance, Eytan said all the prosecution has is “a feeling” that they will find her body.

“At this point, we believe that there is going to be no prosecution against Mr. Morphew, I believe that,” Eytan said. “I believe Mr. Morphew is innocent.”

But Hurlbert said the motion to dismiss the case was made in good faith and that at the time, the prosecution felt it was imminent that Suzanne Morphew’s body would be found.

“She is in a very difficult spot, but we have not found her yet,” he said. “We actually have more than a feeling, we have some specific investigative leads that the People are not going to get into at this point – but it is more than a feeling and the sheriff’s office is continuing to look for Ms. Morphews’s body.”

We know somebody was burning stuff in the fireplace.... someone who didn't IMO stick around to make sure it was incinerated beyond all recognition.

Then there are two four-hour periods of time (late afternoon or spanning midnight) where someone had opportunity to disappear Suzanne. Aided by night vision goggles? Utilizing vehicles -- his, a neighbor's, the fire department's. Trucks, ATVs....

Barried?
Mined?
Planted? In a pod? Planted? In a lion's den?

IMO Barry did stalk that mountain lion, bet he knew exactly where the den was. Lion was probably out prowling at midnight too. Den wide open....

Did Barry really eat a steak? Or did he leave one -- to lure the lion back....

Corn. I'm telling you. Corn is nature's broom. When the deer show up, and they will, they'll obliterate footprints, tiretracks, Bobcat tracks.... and eat the corn. And no one would be any the wiser.

Did Barry Barry Suzanne under the ash of that recent burn? Oh, that's some sweaty, sooty, smelly, ACRID work.

Ever sat at a bonfire, taken your smoky self to bed, only to awaken to the smell of bonfire, now on your person but also all your bedding? Shower but your hair still smells bonfirey? If he dug a hole, deep into ash, backfilled it by hand and layered ash back in place, who would think to look there?

I think Suzanne was hidden prior to his departure for Broomfield. IMO she's not as far as Monarch ... but she's up there.

Jmo

I agree with other comments about the dumpsters being where Barry disposed of Suzanne. I think he used his hunting skills to dismember her, the missing cool boxes to transport her, and the smell of bleach in his hotel room was to clean himself and any equipment. I don’t think Suzanne’s remains were ever in the hotel room, as we’d have seen him carrying her in there otherwise.

Didn’t someone say there was the smell of bleach in the home? I want to say it was Andy M who said this but I could be wrong. If he’s right, it would back up my dismemberment at home theory.

All MOO.
I have often thought of this scenario as well. It fits kind of into his MO as a hunter. I also think some of the dog hits support this. This is gruesome to some; he had to drain her like his big game, so the dog hits on the bucket of the skid steer to me led me to these thoughts. Then I wondered where it took place and I think it could have been over a tree hole, there is quite a bit to drain. Just one of my weird thoughts of possible scenario that happened prior to her dismemberment and disposal in the dumpsters. I hate to think about it but it is what I think might of happened as well. I do think there was bleach smell at the home as well. I have often wondered if the septic was seperated from the storm drains, meaning some of the drains could have drained to somewhere underground, like a catch basin that slowly drains into the earth, instead of the septic tank.

Good on Gazette for requesting the entire case file but I sure hope the clerk makes all docs available on the public Colorado Court site as the Gazette isn't very charitable! (I'm paywalled 6 months out of the year)! JMO
It could be months, or even years, before prosecutors have enough evidence to prove Suzanne Morphew was murdered and bring the case to trial.

"That could be a long time. It could be quick, it could be long. It depends on a lot of our investigation," said 11th Judicial Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert in court Monday.

In one of the boldest statements made in open court regarding the struggling case, Hurlbert insisted that investigators know exactly where her body is located.

“She is in a very difficult spot. We actually have more than just a feeling … and the sheriff’s office is continuing to look for Mrs. Morphew’s body,” he said.
Once unsealed, they could shed light on Suzanne Morphew's mindset as she poured her heart out to her best friend Sheila Oliver.

Hurlbert said that except for one "erroneous" instance in one of their motions, everything filed has been the truth.

"We are going to continue to look for her body," said Hurlbert. "We are simply trying to get this case prosecutable, whether that is against the defendant or against somebody else.

During a hearing Monday, District Court Judge Amanda Hunter denied Barry Morphew’s request to reconsider a previous ruling relating to public access to the information contained within the case alleging that Morphew killed his wife.

Hunter’s ruling affirms her April 13 orders denying six motions (five by the defense and one by the prosecution) to limit public access.

In her order, she stated that in a criminal case, court records are “presumed to be accessible to the public” and to deny the public access to a court record or any part of a court record, the Court must follow certain procedures unless the record is inaccessible to the public pursuant to other statute, rule, regulation or Chief Justice Directive.

“While it may be legally possible for Mr. Morphew to be tried in this matter, whether and when he will be tried is a matter of speculation,” Hunter’s order states. “The arguments advanced by Mr. Morphew that relate to the proximity of trial and the ability to impanel a jury are significantly weakened by the dismissal of charges. The same conclusion is reached with respect to his argument that his right to a fair trial will be damaged by release of the records.”

“Even an attempt to impose a delay in the release of the records in order to ‘wait and see’ if Mr. Morphew is prosecuted a second time would be speculative,” Hunter’s order states. “It would also subject to later argument that the Court should continue to extend such ‘wait and see’ period. Such a decision would negate the Rule’s clear language demanding that any orders limiting public access not be indefinite. The Court cannot identify any substantial interests that would allow such a deviation from the Rule. Without a pending case and a looming trial date, the substantial interests cited by Mr. Morphew fail to override the presumptive public access to the court records.”

We know somebody was burning stuff in the fireplace.... someone who didn't IMO stick around to make sure it was incinerated beyond all recognition.

Then there are two four-hour periods of time (late afternoon or spanning midnight) where someone had opportunity to disappear Suzanne. Aided by night vision goggles? Utilizing vehicles -- his, a neighbor's, the fire department's. Trucks, ATVs....

Barried?
Mined?

IMO Barry did stalk that mountain lion, bet he knew exactly where the den was. Lion was probably out prowling at midnight too. Den wide open....

Corn. I'm telling you. Corn is nature's broom. When the deer show up, and they will, they'll obliterate footprints, tiretracks, Bobcat tracks.... and eat the corn. And no one would be any the wiser.

Did Barry Barry Suzanne under the ash of that recent burn? Oh, that's some sweaty, sooty, smelly, ACRID work.

Ever sat at a bonfire, taken your smoky self to bed, only to awaken to the smell of bonfire, now on your person but also all your bedding? Shower but your hair still smells bonfirey? If he dug a hole, deep into ash, backfilled it by hand and layered ash back in place, who would think to look there?

I think Suzanne was hidden prior to his departure for Broomfield. IMO she's not as far as Monarch ... but she's up there.

Jmo
After reading the latest reports I'm beginning to believe her body was dumped intact.
Otherwise they would not be so confident about her location.
They probably worked it out by gauging timespans and vehicle directions, maybe even an eye witness or two noticed things out of place at specific times.

It could be months, or even years, before prosecutors have enough evidence to prove Suzanne Morphew was murdered and bring the case to trial.

Jun 26, 2023 Updated 7 hrs ago

“She is in a very difficult spot. We actually have more than just a feeling … and the sheriff’s office is continuing to look for Mrs. Morphew’s body,” he said.

The hearing was called after Barry Morphew’s attorneys requested to keep records in the case sealed indefinitely. Prosecutors in March 2022, before the case was dismissed, filed a motion to admit statements Suzanne Morphew allegedly made to her best friend about the couple’s failing marriage.

Earlier, defense attorney Iris Eytan accused prosecutors of operating on a hunch in going after Barry Morphew for first-degree murder.

Park County District Judge Amanda Hunter ordered the records to be unsealed. But, as of Monday afternoon, they had not been made public.

That left turn....

Did Barry make a dumpster run just before 5am on Mother's Day at the Monarch Pass Campground?

LE didn't know about the left turn until later in the investigation. By then, was there anyone there who'd been there on MDW?

No one to recall a loud diesel truck....

Consider:

Overnight Barry hikes/ATVs to MPC with a heavy cooler which he dumpsters. Sunday morning he realizes he still has her phone. He drives up under the cover of darkness and chucks her phone into the dumpster.

And heads onward to Broomfield. 16 miles +/-

Jmo

FYI Just three days prior, there was a fire just shy of Monarch Pass, not far from the campground, not far from the Hwy, 16 +/-miles from PP....

I hope LE has been out there. I've seen Barry's uninspired landscaping. I'm certain he could dig a grave and swirl burnt ash over the top in a fairly convincing way.

And he'd stink to high heaven. That kind of smoke settles in your nosehair like creosote.

Things were falling apart fast at PP.

Kind of makes me wonder what started that convenient fire. Or who.

Barried?
Mined?

Jmo
I think all that was left in the fireplace were the metal strips from pendaflex folders, but I could be wrong.

After he ate his steak, he fed the mountain lion the other one, which was supposed to be Suzanne's. He goofed by leaving only one plate to be washed and only one chair pulled out from the breakfast bar.

He must have used the corn somewhere. I'm thinking it came in a burlap bag because he disposed of one. It could have come from a tree though, and maybe it did. Hmmm.

He must have smelled awful between the fire/ash and cadaverine. Maybe he washed those clothes at home before he left because the cap to the dart was found in it. That was daring.

If they're so sure she's there, why haven't they found her yet. Could be he threw her over the side of the mountain and they can't get to her. Or a mine, lion's den, etc, etc.

He was too nervous when AM and 700 searchers went looking for her and they were careful not to take a single step onto his property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine