Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry. Familiar w the Moffat Area?

snipped for focus @Herat Hmmm is right.
@Nikynoo said: Land for development maybe?

IDK. Did Barry search inline for "Cute Girls in Moffat"?

Srsly, didn't LE & prosecutor have custody of BM's phone, PC, various devices for some time?
Ditto, his truck-metrics-tracking-recording (terminology???) data?

Now w recovery of SM's remains, LE's review & analysis of that digital evd. could prove even more damaging to BM.

Extreeeeemely damaging?
Well, a Sleuther can hope.
He likely was. It's an area where people go elk hunting.

And he did make mention of an elk in the investigation!
“Since January 2021, Barry has admitted to: chasing a chipmunk with a gun around the house while Susan was outside sunbathing, shooting a deer with a tranquilizer dart to explain a dart and needle cap in the dryer, disposing of the tranquilizer solution during this trip to Broomfield, following a bull elk down Highway 50 in the 4:00 AM hour on the May 10th to explain why his truck would be headed west (where [a] helmet was discarded), and finally stating to the FBI on April 22, 2021 that he looks guilty from the evidence and God allowed these things to happen.”

Wow. I never knew of that statement by him about following the bull elk in the direction toward where the helmet was found!

Lots of questions surrounding which district attorney’s office will pursue a potential criminal case after Suzanne Morphew’s remains were found. Here’s a statement from 12th Judicial District Attorney Anne Kelly, who represents Saguache County.

Attachments

• 1695865178805.png
    1695865178805.png
    337.9 KB · Views: 7
I hope they'll prove it. But - I think that Barry is smarter than most of our killers, and plans better, only he has one trait that's his undoing. He is a greedy man.

He got off the hook with the help of Iris. Great. Say your prayers. But no, he needed to sue the county for 15 million. And i don't believe it was just IE's idea. I feel that he didn't need any persuasion. And... maybe there were some lapses in technicalities, although I have very high opinion of Colorado LE. But - after all, everyone intuitively felt who killed SM. So had he not been in such a haste, LE would be looking for SM, and maybe, would have found her, eventually, 10 years from now. That lawsuit sped it all up. I don't believe that they found her accidentally, btw, but I am happy they did find her.

Wishing LE of Colorado to deal with this complex case and bring it to completion.

Omg! I am in disbelief! So so happy! Have goosebumps! That is hrs away from Salida i think. At work but will catch up tonight.

Sorry All... I was wrong... It's 45 minutes from house... Apparently can get there 2 ways... Via Poncha Springs and Poncha Pass, and somehow by backroads via Monarch Pass. I will try to find out more.

BM's Current Whereabouts.
Not to say that BM hasn't visited IN since his probation ended earlier this year but I think it's safe to say that BM's not currently residing anywhere near Hamilton County, IN, and any posts stating otherwise are relying on rumors or his use of his mother's address.

Take note that shortly after BM filed a $15M Civil Suit in the US District Court of COLORADO against the investigators and prosecutors in his criminal case, BM was sued for fraud in a land dispute by an Indiana couple.

Reportedly, BM was not in Indiana when his subpoena was served, and he's also not appeared in person in Hamilton County Court for the hearings already held on this case--the last hearing as recently as Sept 11, 2023, and instead, the record reflects counsel has appeared on his behalf.

BM also has some significant Court dates coming up on his Civil case in October and given he's the plaintiff, it doesn't follow he'd be absent from the state. Also, I'm sure the multi-party defendants being sued are eager to begin deposing BM-- especially now that Suzanne's remains have been located! MOO

@Seattle1
Thank you very much for your post w this info & links.

Just guessing that BM may have been thinking he has more to gain thru his civil suit in CO, than to lose thru the property action in IN.
Of course recovery of SM's remains may cause him to change his mind.

BTW, IDK how you can access and/or remember ALLLLLL this info. Mind like a steel trap. a trait shared w a handful of other W/S posters here.

Yeah the article I posted:

indicated that toxicology is possible with skeletal remains, but it's not necessarily easy and it's dependent on numerous circumstantial factors, including the substance in question. To be clear, the study used marrow, which is rich in blood, to conduct the tests. While remains were reportedly scattered, which might indicate scavenging animals, the study states that "Bone marrow has the benefit that it is well protected from any contamination as long as the bone is intact. This makes it very suitable in case of extreme decomposition." It appears the drugs they had the most success with were things like methadone and oral antidepressants/antipsychotics that people take repeatedly, as opposed to recently introduced drugs, like, for example, alcohol or the substances in large animal tranquilizers.

However! They tested for 415 compounds! This is an article abstract that does not list all of them. Earlier today, I researched the most common tranquilizers used in dart guns to immobilize large animals. On a veterinary site, I found common compounds for deer:

Paralytic Drugs or neuromuscular blocking (NMB) drugs were some of the first drugs used for the chemical immobilization of wildlife. Despite their long history of use, NMB drugs are generally inferior to modern drugs and drug formulations. Two major deficiencies as regards NMB drugs exist: 1) NMB drugs have a very low safety margin; dosage errors of only 10% can result in either no effect (underdosing) or death by asphyxia (overdosing). 2) NMB drugs are virtually devoid of central nervous system effects because of their inability to cross the blood-brain barrier.2

Tranquilizers/Sedatives are primarily used in wildlife immobilization as adjuncts to primary anesthetics (e.g., ketamine) to hasten and smooth induction and recovery and to reduce the amount of the primary agent required to achieve immobilization. The α-adrenergic tranquilizers (e.g., xylazine, medetomidine) are potent sedatives and can be completely antagonized. These are often combined with ketamine, Telazol, or carfentanil. As single agents, they are capable of heavily sedating animals to the point of relatively safe handling. However, animals sedated with these tranquilizers generally can be aroused with stimulation and are capable of response or attack.2

Dissociative Anesthetics are characterized by producing a cataleptic state. Ketamine is probably one of the most widely used drugs of this type for wildlife immobilization because of its efficacy and safety. When used singly, ketamine can cause rough inductions and recoveries, and convulsions are not uncommon.2 Due to this aspect, they are usually administered concurrently with tranquilizers or sedatives.

Opioid Anesthetics have been used for animal immobilization since the middle of the last century and are among the most potent drugs available for this purpose. A major advantage of opioids is the availability of specific antagonists. The potency of opioids is both an advantage and disadvantage. An advantage is that the reduced volume of drug required for immobilization makes these the only class of drugs capable of remote immobilization of large animals. A disadvantage is that they are potentially toxic to humans. Death is almost always due to respiratory failure. Opioid immobilizing agents should never be used by clinicians working alone or without having an antagonist immediately on hand.

In order to be more sure, what I'd like to do is find the full article on the forensic toxicology study in my university's library, identify all 415 compounds they studied, and figure out if any match or have significant similarities to the common dart-administered veterinary tranqs. And they see if they were able to identify them in marrow from remains with extreme decomp.

It's not a sure shot by any means, but I think there's reason for hope.

Excellent summary. Sadly, I'm thinking that after 3.5 years, there was no marrow left.

There could be evidence of the actual dart pierce in the bone, but I doubt any chemical components could be reasonably identified at this point (I'm thinking legally/forensically).

OTOH, we don't know. I always try to be hopeful. I would hope that if one of those compounds is found in the remains, that the Defense will not try to say that the same compounds could be found in other circumstances. I feel we need strong evidence that might only be in the bone marrow. But I think it's a long shot - and I too, am still hopeful.

Further, Suzanne would have needed to survive the initial dart in order for the metabolites to get into the marrow. (Entirely possible - BM is not exactly a medical/toxicology genius). If he did transport her quite some distance, there could be microscopic remains of the toxins in the marrow channels. Indeed, that's really state of the art forensics - which I assume will be used in this case.

To me, BM is an extreme scofflaw. He deserves to have every single scientific, state-of-the-art method used to convict him.

IMO.

Package Delivery to Puma Path? BM's Former Address.

@Pharmasgirl Just FWIW, may not be much.

IIRC and not saying I do, package was delivered by UPS, FedEx, or another non-gov. affiliated service, not by USPS. Anyone else recall this or have a link?

Also the linked story* says, the charge filed against SD was for trespassing, not for stealing mail.

* Shoshona Darke Arrested, Allegedly Trespassed At Former Home Of Suzanne And Barry Morphew
I saw another post that the id'd individual was retrieving a package at the former's home... Let me see if I can dig that up.

Not to say that BM hasn't visited IN since his probation ended earlier this year but I think it's safe to say that BM's not currently residing anywhere near Hamilton County, IN, and any posts stating otherwise are relying on rumors or his use of his mother's address.

Take note that shortly after BM filed a $15M Civil Suit in the US District Court of COLORADO against the investigators and prosecutors in his criminal case, BM was sued for fraud in a land dispute by an Indiana couple.

Reportedly, BM was not in Indiana when his subpoena was served, and he's also not appeared in person in Hamilton County Court for the hearings already held on this case--the last hearing as recently as Sept 11, 2023, and instead, the record reflects counsel has appeared on his behalf.

BM also has some significant Court dates coming up on his Civil case in October and given he's the plaintiff, it doesn't follow he'd be absent from the state. Also, I'm sure the multi-party defendants being sued are eager to begin deposing BM-- especially now that Suzanne's remains have been located! MOO

So um, how do we think that civil suit is doing right about now?

Also still cackling that supposedly Iris found out the news from marc sallinger (media) calling her and not Barry.

Court TV keeps saying it is an hour and a half from their home. It looks to me like it's 50-60 minutes. About 50 miles. Could have done this during the time span his phone was in airplane mode. He digs holes for a living so 50 minutes down, 20 minutes digging shallow grave and 45 minutes home because it is safer to drive a little faster without a dead body in your truck. Two hours. Probably knew the area and had even planned it out in advance if he ever killed her, this is where he put her. He then leads cops in different directions away from this location.

The CBI said updates will be provided as information becomes available.

The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

It was a partial match to a couple of different sex offenders in CODIS. Let me say something about what that means. YOU could be a partial match as well. CODIS has only felons in it - but had they sent the same sample to, say, Othram, there could have been 1000 or 10000 partial matches.

Humans are 99.999% identical. So, each DNA study system uses specific regions of our DNA to compare. They found some of the same genes in the glove compartment (IIRC, it was on an owner's manual - so had been touched by car detailers, the dealer, the factory where it was made) as they found in some sex offenders. However, it was NOT a match.

And again - YOU could be the next match, if this technique was used in general. If we were all in a DNA database (I'm in two of them), we'd find ourselves matching all kinds of miscreants and others - as we are all related.

We all have very similar DNA. Since the glove compartment is not part of the crime scene AND because of the kind of misrepresentation by the defense (although it's understandable), here we are, 3.5 years later and this red herring is still swimming (and I get that).

I could go on (I'm related to a whole bunch of interesting people - pretty closely, too - not unlike this "partial match" from the glove compartment). "Partial match" could and is used to describe degrees of relationship that are like fourth cousin 2X removed. Direct lineage is a bit stronger (a parent/grandparent/great grandparent). Trust me - if you were to follow your own genealogy back to around 1800, you'd find some miscreants in there somewhere. Just statistically, we're all related. And if we go back far enough, we are ALL related to a sex offender of one kind or another. I am including cultural practices in which consent was not required or expected. Such as those of England or Germany in the 10th-16th centuries.

IOW, it's unlikely that the person who touched the owner's manual WAS the actual sex offender - but perhaps a cousin or something. They may get dragged into this, though.

As far as we know, this is not a stranger sex assault case. No sexual assault has been alleged. All the facts point directly to intimate partner violence.

I hope everyone here starts thinking about what kind of DNA might be in THEIR car (that would be exploited by the defense if you were harmed). Because the DNA from the manufacturers is there. It's possible to parse the DNA well enough to give hints (sometimes facts) about where the DNA came from (in the JonBenet case, the stranger DNA on the underwear was from a specific region in China - where the newly purchased underwear was manufactured). I do not think that some hapless Chinese worker got a visa and flew to Boulder to kill JonBenet.

As someone new to the case, your question was a good one - but I'm curious. Why was that your first question? Do you know the other facts of the case? Sorry if that sounds rude in text - I don't mean it that way. I'm truly curious

IMO.

BTW, I always thought that maybe this DNA was left during regular service change, or showing how to hook up the cellphone. We had such a situation, recently, btw, and of us two, I was faster to grasp the instructions. The nice dealership guy told me, half-jokingly, "you are almost as good as my gangster cousins". Could be a joke, but if he indeed has some cousins on the other side of the law, there will be a partial match to them on all the front panel of our car. Does it mean anything? Not even close. Same with SM's case, I suspect.

Lots of questions surrounding which district attorney’s office will pursue a potential criminal case after Suzanne Morphew’s remains were found. Here’s a statement from 12th Judicial District Attorney Anne Kelly, who represents Saguache County.

Anne Kelly is a badass. I know her personally from my domestic violence work. She was previously a senior prosecutor in Boulder County with a solid record. I am a hardcore Dem and she's an R and I donated to her reelection campaign. Yes, in these divided times. She has excellent domestic violence experience and is just as intelligent, logical, and grounded as can be. And she has a passion for victims.

ETA: I guess I know her professionally, not personally. You knew what I meant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members