Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that you don't get to "divide" inheritance in Colorado...it is equitable distribution state. So bear-bear would likely maaaaybe get 1/2 the house and then 1/2 of his business. Big ego/pretender guys like BM...that does not work for them.

I know. But killing the partner, getting it all, then investing into a good, but expensive trial lawyer, doesn't resemble even a medium-risk portfolio allocation.

Yup. There was more on this too, at a later hearing.

The partial DNA profile developed from the glovebox DNA matched with profiles developed in unsolved sexual assault cases in Chicago, Pheonix and Tempe, CBI Agent Joseph Cahill confirmed during questioning by Barry Morphew’s defense attorney Iris Eytan.

So, they have "pieces of DNA" from three rape cases in CODIS. Well, then I see what they haven't finished. Questions about mitos, Lazarus, etc...I understand why they arrested Barry, though. And, nothing in BM's behavior makes me think that he was unjustly accused.

There is one thing that Barry didn't show towards Suzanne. It is called loyalty. This is why their relationship went sour. She got sick, and he emotionally abandoned her. Accused of treatment costing too much. The choice of JL is telling - he was from SM's youth, from the times when (she thought) Barry loved her and stood behind her in illness. That Barry was long gone, or maybe he never existed. And this lack of loyalty on Barry's part is very damning to me. I have seen men in whose innocence, if their wives disappeared, I'd believe, but they were always loyal.

I know. But killing the partner, getting it all, then investing into a good, but expensive trial lawyer, doesn't resemble even a medium-risk portfolio allocation.
right!
how many times do we see this :-(

also killing the spouse to be with a lover only the love affair ends at the killing.

I often think about Chris watts killing his entire family to be with NK.
He has never physically seen NK since Shanann stopped breathing.

mind blowing, incomprehensible, so pointless.

All of them.

Interesting Rods appreciate your insights.
Are you surprised the area wasn't sealed off waiting for the CBI to come?

There were all sorts of clever sleuths and reporters out there trotting around in the soil and brush.:mad:

BIB

In almost every case I have followed people panic over this issue but there are standard procedures that get followed

right!
how many times do we see this :-(

also killing the spouse to be with a lover only the love affair ends at the killing.

I often think about Chris watts killing his entire family to be with NK.
He has never physically seen NK since Shanann stopped breathing.

mind blowing, incomprehensible, so pointless.

All of them.

Yes. CW who buried daughters' bodies in crude oil, then took a dump, then took a photo of a flower to send it to NK. Romantic...

I have complex feeling about NK after her "mistress" interview, but she is a smart, practical woman. Even if CW managed to get away with it, there is no
way she'd agree to marry him and have children with him.

Here is the aspect of US defence attorney conduct I have been struggling with over the course of multiple cases (McStay, Morphew, Delphi etc)

Where I come from, it was drummed in to us that we were officers of the court first and clients comes second. Obviously in high end commercial work, those allegiances get called into question, but at least in criminal work, one does ones job professionally to make the state prove its case beyond reasonable doubt. It is not one's job to 'prove the client innocent' and especially not to win at all costs. Indeed you don't know if the client is innocent or not and you do not ask that question. Especially you will have seen the evidence and typically know full well there is a strong possibility that your client is in fact guilty

This is why you may strongly represent the client, including in the media, but do no make personal representations about guilt or innocence. You would not stake your reputation on it, and frankly it is not actually your job to make such representations. Rather you limit yourself to your case. What does the evidence show and what does it not show? What will you be arguing? Your client maintains his innocence etc

There are clearly some exceptions to this - and I am thinking specifically of attorneys who have taken cases where DNA evidence has definitively proved the client not just not guilty but in fact innocent.

Morphew is not such a case.

The defence is fully aware the evidence suggests guilt, whether or not to BARD, especially because the preliminary trial held as much. A judge actually said it. Not the DA. The Judge. The defence may disagree with the result, but to claim there is 'no evidence' is obviously a misrepresentation and creates a conspiratorial narrative that the client has been unfairly fitted up

We were taught this is simply not acceptable behaviour. IOW you cannot accuse the DA or any other lawyer / body of professional misconduct without evidence. So accusing of discovery violations is OK. But accusing of fitting up the defendant e.g WRT the allegations against Grusing & the DA and then put into a pleading .... not ok.

Yet this seems the norm now in the US? e.g in McStay, the defence simply lied in opening arguments about what would be presented in evidence.

Odd

ETA not saying all attorneys do this including ones who post here. It’s my observation from these big cases.

Last edited:
Is her phone missing, or was it missing but found awhile later? Curious why it took them so long to figure out who JL was if they shared photos and they could track data from his messages such as location, IP address and so on.
They never found Suzanne’s phone and I believe the phone JL was using at the time, was also not available for forensic investigation.

Yes. CW who buried daughters' bodies in crude oil, then took a dump, then took a photo of a flower to send it to NK. Romantic...

I have complex feeling about NK after her "mistress" interview, but she is a smart, practical woman. Even if CW managed to get away with it, there is no
way she'd agree to marry him and have children with him.
Dont wanna off track suzannes thread but the connection common thread with pointless indulgent greedy spouse is so uncanny!

They don't get the 'prize' anyway......:mad:

Last edited:
So what was or is his profession? I’m seeing “landscaper” which can be very lucrative if you are literally doing hardscaping jobs in wealthy areas like building retaining walls and laying out gardens and basically building exterior living spaces… building patios, pergolas, decks, pool spaces and so on...
Barry couldn't even install a straight retaining wall. And have you seen the pics of his work on his own home? I wouldn't hire him to landscape a dog house, let alone anything of significance. He's no Picasso of landscaping that's for sure, more like a throw a rock here and stick a tree there and lets call it a day.

ALL MOO

A chokehold occludes the carotids cutting off blood supply to the brain resulting in death in about 3-4 min. Suffocation takes longer. However, both cause extreme resistance and is close and personal. I think BM would tranquilize her to have an advantage.

I am hopeful because if he used a tranquilizer it will be detected in her bone marrow and even in the dead bugs surrounding her body.

Since dental records and her chemo port was used for identification, we know that her head and chest must be intact. This may be more of a body found in a shallow grave vs bones scattered about. It's also possible she was wrapped in an identifiable blanket or towel. My biggest hope is that her fingernails can be scraped because BM had a few scratches on him.

I was taught that pathalogicals are brought down by their arrogance, not their stupidity. BM's arrogance would deceive him to believe a body that he hides will never be found.
not necessarily detectible, may have killed her prior to being synthesised.. once dead that process stops.

what we might find is the mark of the dart on her bones but even that is a longshot..

Any time someone brings up that DNA, I want to throw something. I say this because if they understood the reality, they wouldn’t mention it at all.

A partial profile so degraded that it couldn’t be entered into CODIs without performing a “keyboard search,” which is a manual process. CODIS only has criminals, so you’re bound to find a few matches when you’re only looking at a small sequence. It had almost certainly been there a while.

Not to mention the location of the DNA, which fits into no scenario. Sure was nice of the offender to reach into the car, touch the dash, take nothing (cash, credit cards), and then leave.

That’s the downside of how sensitive this technology now is.
Yes and Suzanne had just had her car serviced so it could have easily been a mechanic working on her vehicle.

ETA: Changing snow tires to regular tires IIRC

MOO

Last edited:
SBM

IMO the husband is always the #1 suspect whether there is any good reason for it or not.
<snipped & BBM> There is good reason for that IMO

According to the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV), intimate partner homicides make up approximately 10% of all US murders and of those, women comprise approximately 70% of those killed. In other words, one out of every 10 people murdered is by an intimate partner, and seven of those ten murdered are women. Research tells us that women are far more likely to be killed by an intimate acquaintance or spouse than by a stranger.

The Number of Women Murdered by a Partner Is Rising

If he did that though, I can't imagine he'd have scratches. I think he tranquilized her and she got away, or maybe he missed. In any event, she appears to have made it to the bedroom, as the door was cracked. Normally a cracked door wouldn't be a big deal, but Barry said he didn't even know about it. There's just no way, as they would have closed that door at night, and you can't miss it. So he hits her with the tranq, she makes it to the bedroom, he forces his way in, and he strangles or smothers her while she attempts to defend herself, scratching him.
Yes, let's hope there is recoverable DNA still left under her fingernails, because BM was definitely sporting some scratches.

MOO

I'm wondering if LE didn't just tie some crime scene tape in a random spot, to keep media and looky-loos away from the real gravesite. I don't think LE would normally leave crime scene tape festooned in sage brush. I mean, why would they?
I was thinking the same thing -- and they were probably laughing and sniggering while doing it! :p LOL

Last edited:
*I’ve so much to catch up. There is an enormous amount of info posted by all members that have stood true and steadfast seeking Justice for Suzanne. I applaud you all. ❤️

An autopsy is being performed by the El Paso County Coroner, but the results may not be released, as they are considered to be part of an ongoing investigation.

The information in this timeline comes from family interviews, court documents, and testimony from Barry Morphew’s preliminary and probable cause hearings, as well as subsequent statements from other court hearings leading up to the case being dismissed in April 2022.

May 6 - “I’m done,” she wrote to her husband. “I could care less what you’re up to and have been for years.”
bbm
I believe, this sentence was really dangerous to say it to BM. If he had done many things not quite lawful and knew it very well of course, He could have assumed, Suzanne knew also something from his past (Indiana 2017 and back, perhaps), what he thought, she wouldn't know. Maybe, with his guilty conscience he feared the worst (and who knows, what the worst was/is).
BM isn't stupid, and certainly he knew: if a marriage is going to break down, there are more and more sympathizers to the one or the other side, who are revealing secrets bit by bit. MOO

Yup. There was more on this too, at a later hearing.

The partial DNA profile developed from the glovebox DNA matched with profiles developed in unsolved sexual assault cases in Chicago, Pheonix and Tempe, CBI Agent Joseph Cahill confirmed during questioning by Barry Morphew’s defense attorney Iris Eytan.
This is impossible for us to interpret without seeing the actual lab report. The specific words used in the report mean things.

As many have said, we all partially match to somebody.

Is this a partial match to a partial profile or a partial profile and a complete match? It matters to the statistics and of course the prosecution.

I am convinced BM did this but I would look at this differently if they had a complete match on a partial profile where the statistics were getting pretty high.

IT FINALLY SORTS OUT!
As we learn more, I’m sorting through prior theories to come up with the most likely scenario.

[[[In having followed this since the third week of May, 2020, full time for over two years on multiple platforms, it finally falls into place.]]]

The first big surprise was the haphazard idiotic way he disposed of her. A flat land desolate area? Shallow grave? That alone tells us it was NOT a planned murder! This was an unplanned rage killing, haphazardly carried out! MassGuy’s summary of Barry’s dumb mistakes and lies bears it out. Not premeditated but it hardly matters since he will die in prison in either case.

I thought for years that he had dropped her in an old mining hole-in-the-ground he discovered when hunting, under 10 miles from Puma Path. Later, we found out that LE agreed. When I discovered the amount of snow in the mid and high lands that early May, I abandoned it. He could not risk leaving tracks, going off the road or getting stuck.

The only alternative would be that he dropped her in a dumpster when he loitered in Broomfield Sun. morning. (I discarded the idea that he would go south to flatlands. Who would be that stupid?) Was he stupid like a fox or just stupid?
======
Saturday, Barry must have reflected on Suzanne’s most recent actions. She blew his socks off when she said “done” a few days earlier. Thursday and Friday, he went about his business grading the lot by the river, the seething rage likely had him thinking: “I’ll kill her! She’s not taking half the money I earned with my blood, sweat and tears for 30 years! (They had near $3 mil. in assets with the two houses, silver investments, etc..) If I can’t have her nobody else can!”

But, Suzanne knew him well and she was smarter. She had put up with his childish macho crap for a long time. She wasn’t afraid as she picked a week when the girls jeered gone. She became amenable. “Let’s go to town and eat out!” “Let’s have lunch, I made soup!” They discussed the girls visitation. She played him like a fiddle. Going into the fateful Saturday, Barry might have thought - Maybe I can win her over?”

Coming back from town, Barry phoned her over and over. She was busy. She had been sexting with Jeff Libler. Paraphrasing: Jeff said Wanna get naked? She said let’s do it on a certain website. The FBI said this wasn’t the first time.

Let’s remember related facts. The bedroom door had been forced open, breaking the trim. Suzanne gouged his hands and arms with her fingernails.

At this point it becomes logic and informed speculation.

What makes sense is that Barry came into the house, pissed for having been ignored in his calls. He came to the closed bedroom door and something caused him to shoulder it open. Maybe she didn’t answer his knocks and and he broke the door trim and saw her naked with her cell phone. Maybe he heard her sexting and recording “Oh Jeff baby”. Or something else. Once inside Suzanne likely bolted for the bathroom and he caught her and strangled her. After all, he had a big torso and was push-up king at the gym. He didn’t need a dart, gun or knife. Any bodily fluids on the tile floor were easily cleaned up.

Mental panic ensued. Imagine the adrenaline rush! No wonder he crashed at the motel Sunday!

Through all off this Barry came up with a plan:

… I’ll toss her bike in the ravine. I’ll toss her helmet in the woods going west. Those stupid cops will think she was abducted and the bad guys are westbound.

… I’ll dump her body south! The cops will never find her.

… I’m going NorthEast!

… They’ll never figure it out!

… And he was right. Her body was found by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en