Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of an on the record statement is pretty interesting here.

You’d think if he had nothing to do with the grave site he’d be in front of a camera even if just reading a carefully crafted statement.

Of course such a statement could be admissible against him but to my mind it’s strange they are not out in front of this.

Unless of course Barry knows what’s in the gravesite.

But I find it strange either way that you wouldn’t go big.
I think that's what you pay a lawyer for, to be out front and make those statements. jmoo

I think Barry has only two thoughts on his mind.
1. When will I be charged again?
2. Can IE get me off?
Wow he must go back and forth with those thoughts every moment.

He knows the ending but I’m sure the thoughts of him winning the fifteen million dollars in the civil suit had him delusional for awhile.

My question is, even though Barry haasn’t been charged again, will this civil suit be allowed to proceed by the judge since Suzanne’s body has been found?
I think IE only has ONE question on her mind.

1. I wonder how much money Barry will have left to retain me without the 15 million we were hoping for??!!

I don't think he waited around to do something with Suzanne - once he killed or incapacitated her at 2:43-7.
I think he put his phone on airplane mode and immediately commenced planning to get away with it. Sunset was 8:05 and so he had a couple of hours to think and a couple of hours to travel.

Figuring out things like which car was too old for tracking - where would be a good place to dispose of her, how to be somewhere else when her absence was discovered etc.

So this is the phone data and locations data.

Anyone know what the last page is? I see Crestone listed, but I don't see a date or reference for why this page is included. Crestone is very close to Moffat correct? When and who was located in Crestone?
It looks to me like that last page is a "KEY" to indicate the town names of given locations which are earlier in the document identified only by longitude and latitude.

1. I wonder how much money Barry will have left to retain me without the 15 million we were hoping for??!!
I don’t know. She seems pretty sure of herself and I think winning matters a lot to her. She may stick around to the end because the media attention could pay off for her in other ways.

How will she feel the day he hugs her real close and whispers, I'll pay you later?

I have a pretty good idea about the going rate for an IOU from BM.

Jmo

I think Barry has only two thoughts on his mind.
1. When will I be charged again?
2. Can IE get me off?
Wow he must go back and forth with those thoughts every moment.

He knows the ending but I’m sure the thoughts of him winning the fifteen million dollars in the civil suit had him delusional for awhile.

My question is, even though Barry haasn’t been charged again, will this civil suit be allowed to proceed by the judge since Suzanne’s body has been found?

Great list.

3. How am I going to pay for this??

I think the Judge will allow the civil case to continue. Both sides can amend their responses. But I predict that Barry and IE will decide to delay, postpone and wiggle out of depositions. It's all way too risky for him. It's strange, in my view, to see a criminal defense attorney also try to get a bite of a big civil settlement, but it isn't the first time and probably won't be the last.

The civil case judge very likely has no jurisdictional power over what happens in anything but that one civil case. I doubt it will be dismissed unless Barry's side requests it. It could languish for a long time, though, if the depositions are delayed.

IMO

That hesitation after the question "I know this might seem like an odd question, but... did Barry and Suzanne get along well?" The son and the father took a second to look at each other and the father told him it's okay to be honest and then the son replied honestly that he was aware of some issues.

Thinking of the son and father in light of the discovery of SM's remains (although I would bet they long ago decided that BM had something to do with SM's forever disappearance). BM has introduced such horror and sadness into so many of the innocent lives that were connected with his.
I’ve often thought of the mans son since this video. He and the youngest daughter had a relationship. I’m sure Barry blew up and told her to never see him again. Some apologies are in order from the daughter, don’t you think? Her boyfriend was being honest. She and her dad were not!

I don't think he waited around to do something with Suzanne - once he killed or incapacitated her at 2:43-7.
I think he put his phone on airplane mode and immediately commenced planning to get away with it. Sunset was 8:05 and so he had a couple of hours to think and a couple of hours to travel.

Figuring out things like which car was too old for tracking - where would be a good place to dispose of her, how to be somewhere else when her absence was discovered etc.
Agree, he did reset the truck's telematics in the late afternoon/early evening. After he dumped Suzanne's body IMO

I completely agree that Mr. Morphew’s means, motive, and opportunity to kill his wife are fully established. The defense seems to rely on a position that someone else also had motive, which boils down to an unknown assailant and/or serial killer (UA/SK).

However, a UA/SK would have no motive to stage the bike “incident” (the ride she ostensibly took without a phone, water or working brakes) nor would that person likely have a motive for burying the body. In the vast majority of stranger murders, the body is dumped at or relatively near the location of the killing, not buried.

The one caveat I would add is that the State needs to establish Mr. Morphew had the means and opportunity to dispose of the body at the gravesite. The 4 hour “unaccounted for” window beginning on May 9 is part of that but a plausible vehicle to transport the body needs to be firmly established. The postulation that she was sedated but not dead when transported could perhaps be an explanation for why cadaver dogs did not hit on the vehicles. Clearly, anything that connects Mr. Morphew to this area, whether found during recent search or from his past history, would likely foreclose the UA/SK scenario.

The stories that Saguache County is a dumping ground for killers appears to be a side show. From what I can tell from limited reading the recently found body of James Montoya about 20 miles from where Suzanne Morphew was found was dumped, not buried.
it's merely approx a 30 minute drive from his home.
There doesn't necessarily need to be anything connecting him with the area, he may have left his phone switched off, travelled in a vehicle without trackers and done and dusted in plenty of time to show up at the other pretend job and discard all evidence of his handiwork in other peoples' bins en route.

I don’t know. She seems pretty sure of herself and I think winning matters a lot to her. She may stick around to the end because the media attention could pay off for her in other ways.
I’d wager winning means EVERYTHING to her.<modsnip>. For those who know the facts, she is as transparent as a piece of cellophane. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:

So this is the phone data and locations data.

Anyone know what the last page is? I see Crestone listed, but I don't see a date or reference for why this page is included. Crestone is very close to Moffat correct? When and who was located in Crestone?
I'm confused on this. Boxer above posted that on 5/9, he put his phone in airplane mode as follows:
2:47 BM phone put on airplane mode.
10:17 BM phone switched out of airplane mode.

But the PDF link to Fox News for his phone records on page 6 shows about 14 outgoing calls during that timeframe.

EDITED TO ADD - Thanks JustTrish for pointing out the records are in UTC and need to be converted to Colorado time.

Last edited:
Great list.

I think the Judge will allow the civil case to continue. Both sides can amend their responses. But I predict that Barry and IE will decide to delay, postpone and wiggle out of depositions. It's all way too risky for him. It's strange, in my view, to see a criminal defense attorney also try to get a bite of a big civil settlement, but it isn't the first time and probably won't be the last.

The civil case judge very likely has no jurisdictional power over what happens in anything but that one civil case. I doubt it will be dismissed unless Barry's side requests it. It could languish for a long time, though, if the depositions are delayed.

IMO
I don’t think he can pay for it unless maybe IE will take an IOU from the award in a civil case, and I don’t believe she’s that stupid.

I asked about the civil case because I feel sorry for every defendant in that case. They were doing their jobs and now they have to pay large sums to attorneys for their defense.

Edited to remove my criticism of attorneys.

Last edited:
I'm confused on this. Boxer above posted that on 5/9, he put his phone in airplane mode as follows:
2:47 BM phone put on airplane mode.
10:17 BM phone switched out of airplane mode.

But the PDF link to Fox News for his phone records on page 6 shows about 14 outgoing calls during that timeframe.
The records are in UTC, which needs to be converted to Colorado time. I can't recall what the exact time change is, but basically the records are provided in some universal time something and then it needs to be interpreted so it can be looked at in Colorado time zone.

Quick google shows -6 hours for UTC to Colorado time.

The records are in UTC, which needs to be converted to Colorado time. I can't recall what the exact time change is, but basically the records are provided in some universal time something and then it needs to be interpreted so it can be looked at in Colorado time zone.

Quick google shows -6 hours for UTC to Colorado time.
AH! Thanks much!!

It looks to me like that last page is a "KEY" to indicate the town names of given locations which are earlier in the document identified only by longitude and latitude.
I can't find a single other mention of that city or the coordinates. If that is a key, I wonder what it is a key to? I might be missing it, but I checked the truck events, the call logs, and anything I saw with coordinates listed and don't see it anywhere else. I do see that the report they got was over 600 pages and we only have a few of those so maybe a different day/time/event is that reference? I am so curious about it thought because that was show ole Barry was in that area prior to her being dumped there so he can't say he was never ever there or didn't know about that location/road/area.

Great list.

IMO
State should push forward on the civil case. There is no reason to delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l