Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Mile Post 103 marks State Rd Q.

I think it's telling that milepost 106 is 2022 view, but even if manually driving Google towards MP 103, the calendar begins slipping every .25 mile and by MP 103 you are back to 2018 view! Perhaps not very well traveled and probably poor signal too. JMO
103 or 113?

Not every year, not every season, you can't set up fire these days in the vicinity of dwellings. Any serious plan needs pre-planning. This is why I think he had thought of killing her, but the event itself was an impulsive gesture. He looked frazzled several days later. It is one thing to hunt for animals, and still another, to kill the mother of your
Well I didn't mean to suggest a fire. But look at Adam Montgomery, what, a few hours in a bathroom with his murdered daughter and afterwards she fit in a big purse. :confused: I will have to be convinced that Suzanne"s site wasn't chosen to be found relatively quickly. But I'm just ruminating, not trying to convince anyone.

I think this was the window. The truck also has no telematics during this time.
So that would mean that he knew how to disable that system on his truck and then reinstate it? To me, that would imply planning, prior research, not a crime of passion after a fight. Who disables tracking on their vehicles unless they’re doing something like this? How was that alone not enough to nail him while they had him in jail? Just wondering why the case was dismissed.

I believe the Gazette got the details wrong and why the statement about 2nd remains scrubbed from the initial report. There was a set of male remains found in Saguache in August. These have been identified as a Lakewood man, James Montoya, 26. He was reported missing on July 28. The link was posted in the previous thread.

Quoting my post to add there is supposed to be new details released on Friday of additional remains located but this is coming from a statement by IE, not MSM:

Whatever happened to Krystal Reisinger, Edna Quintana, Suzanne, the man whose remains were found by Saguache County Sheriff’s office in the foothills on July 26, 2023, or the remains of the person found in another area in Saguache County last weekend (more info to come from authorities tomorrow).

Last edited:
So that would mean that he knew how to disable that system on his truck and then reinstate it? To me, that would imply planning, prior research, not a crime of passion after a fight. Who disables tracking on their vehicles unless they’re doing something like this? How was that alone not enough to nail him while they had him in jail? Just wondering why the case was dismissed.
could that also knock off the odometer?

Last edited:
I think his google searches and his hunting area history will be interesting. I don't think this was random, but I don't think the shallow grave was planned; I think something got him off course. Maybe just losing all the rush from the adreneline and realizing what he'd done, he lost steam.

He had all the knowledge and equipment to disappear Suzanne completely. So what went awry?

MOO

Fear.

Fear of being caught through using his own usual habits. He might have thought about putting her up near Monarch Pass (or even just using an ATV and depositing her in a gully near Puma Path). The fear that came up in him, once he saw he was actually going through with his plan to murder his wife...was extraordinary. This is a sociopathic type who fears

But, being guilty, he began to think that all of these places would lead right back to him (obviously). His generic ideas about where to hide a body suddenly became real. I don't see him as someone who is at all capable of real planning and expertise.

Maybe he didn't actually plan to kill her that day (but maybe he did plan for a day just like that one).

He began to realize (perhaps going over to that other work site and turning the ignition key on another Bobcat) that he would be caught if anyone saw his truck, his Bobcat, etc. working in a manner that would have disposed of a body.

Lauren Scharf and Tyson Draper were among the guests on Nancy’s panel today

From thread # 107, post # 1,098 w/attachments :

"...Remember when BM was caught going through the trash at the Poncha Market at 8:00 pm on 5/12/20, two days after SM went missing? The Market was closed, but the employees were still on the premises. After he was caught rifling in the trash, he knocked on the window and told the employees that his wife was missing and made a hastily scrawled note on the back of a receipt:
Baby Blue bike
helmet
biking clothing
He didn’t even include a description of SM.
I’ve always wondered about what he was doing there that night. That day SM’s brother, AM, was in town to help search along with several others who had flown in with him. BM had slipped away from everyone. He was up to no good.

The Poncha Market is right off Highway 285, the road to Moffat...."

@OldCop : Thanks for posting the map and photo.!

Very chilling to think of BM possibly burying his wife even as her brother and others were searching for her.

Heartbreaking as well.

I'm betting she was found in those biking clothes , if any clothing is left ?

Eta : And if you think about it, he described what was later 'planted'.
So I'm thinking she was buried with those exact clothes ?

Omo.
Yes, I think it's obvious that he was thinking about the helmet and bike because he wanted them to be found and he knew he had put them where they could and would be found. That's his preoccupation, and he was in no way searching for his wife - as you said, she is not even mentioned in the description.

All MOO.

“Along the side of the road” is strange wording. To me that implies within 50’ or so of a road. How could he have dug any kind of grave without worrying a car would pass and see him? That area is so incredibly flat. The vegetation can’t be more than 2’ tall, either. Or, are they referring to what looks like a side “road” off that main road?

Well. I figure I could see a car coming for 5 miles along that road. Plenty of time to lay low. He didn't have any light on him, if he had a headlamp, he just turned it off and waited for that one car to pass.

How many cars would pass? Zero to 3 would be my guess. And that's an optimistic guess.

Unless a driver was specifically looking for criminal activity at the side of the road, a truck/man in the dark 50 feet off a state highway is not going to attract attention at 3-4 am.

I think a lot of people east of the Rockies think that there's traffic on every road here. Highway 17 in Colorado probably has 0-3 cars in an evening. No regular patrols by anyone.

It's possible he took a side road to get further from the 17, to do his dirty work. But even if not, it's really unlikely that anyone would see him. People are looking for game dashing across the road. At night, we go 90 mph if we can see a straight, flat road ahead and no oncoming headlights. My dad grew up out there in the CO flats, it was and is still pretty void of people.

It was a shallow grave. For a man like Barry (or many men), it would take only about 10 minutes to dig a shallow grave. He probably worried about drone overflights, but he wasn't worried about being seen from the road because all he had to do was click off his headlamp - easy to do when every car can be seen miles away.

I think she truly was along the side of the road (within 25-50 feet) because he knew no one would see him. And, he was apparently right.

IMO.

“Saguache County is getting a reputation for being called ‘The Boneyard’ just because they've found over the years so many bodies or bones,” Corinna said.

“You could spend a significant amount of time in an area and not be seen by anyone not be noticed and have time to do just that,” she said.

Big thanks @Gardenista-- I looked for this all during my lunch!

Making note MP 103 also marks a desolate t-road here from either direction of SH 17

So, are we agreed it was mile marker 103 and not 113? Do we have a source? Is there a source for that secondary road being the one she was found next to (nothing changes in my previous post - at night, CO, on the flats, you can see headlights for miles).

“Saguache County is getting a reputation for being called ‘The Boneyard’ just because they've found over the years so many bodies or bones,” Corinna said.

“You could spend a significant amount of time in an area and not be seen by anyone not be noticed and have time to do just that,” she said.

Thank you. So true.

West Mesa in Albuquerque is another one like that. Black rock, moonless night, it's impossible to see anyone unless they turn their lights on. I used to practice driving with my lights off on the mesa. After one's eyes adjust, it's easy to see what's right in front of one's face. In this case, the background is lighter than black rock, so can see a bit more.

The only people out at 3 am are people racing to get home, sleep and go back to work. They aren't staring out at the prairie, looking for murderers.

Well. I figure I could see a car coming for 5 miles along that road. Plenty of time to lay low. He didn't have any light on him, if he had a headlamp, he just turned it off and waited for that one car to pass.

How many cars would pass? Zero to 3 would be my guess. And that's an optimistic guess.

Unless a driver was specifically looking for criminal activity at the side of the road, a truck/man in the dark 50 feet off a state highway is not going to attract attention at 3-4 am.

I think a lot of people east of the Rockies think that there's traffic on every road here. Highway 17 in Colorado probably has 0-3 cars in an evening. No regular patrols by anyone.

It's possible he took a side road to get further from the 17, to do his dirty work. But even if not, it's really unlikely that anyone would see him. People are looking for game dashing across the road. At night, we go 90 mph if we can see a straight, flat road ahead and no oncoming headlights. My dad grew up out there in the CO flats, it was and is still pretty void of people.

It was a shallow grave. For a man like Barry (or many men), it would take only about 10 minutes to dig a shallow grave. He probably worried about drone overflights, but he wasn't worried about being seen from the road because all he had to do was click off his headlamp - easy to do when every car can be seen miles away.

I think she truly was along the side of the road (within 25-50 feet) because he knew no one would see him. And, he was apparently right.

IMO.
Understood about the absence of traffic but why take that risk? What if a local saw a car where one was never parked and pulled over to check it out? Many have said it’s difficult to dig there, too… it isn’t sand. Just seems to me like a wooded hilly area or an old mine would be a better bet but maybe he panicked and that’s the best he could do. It’ll be interesting to learn where exactly she was found for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member