Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #58 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AM knew his cat story didn't add up though.
AM might of chalked it up to BM hoping she didn't fall prey to a human predator.
I think when something as unexpected and awful as a sister's disappearance occurs, there's some shock that keeps us from having access to all our normal reasoning. And the perpetrator uses that chaos and confusion to his benefit.

I think AM may have been subject to that in the early days.

Last edited:
I don't think it was anything more than BM trying to sound like a Christian, and use the kinds of things Christians say, to shift attention away from himself.
And he failed, miserably, on every single level.

jmo
BM is a wolf pretending he is a lamb when in fact he’s just a wolf in wolf’s clothing. Suzanne on the other hand was a beautiful lamb and he devoured her and tried to blame it on a cat.

But wasn't it was all by Zoom at the time? They could finish from anywhere.
Possibly I don’t know how profs handled it but the college never sent students home. Summer sessions were primarily online but Spring wrapped up despite an internet outage the final week and although 2020 graduation was cancelled. And kids returned to campus for fall 2020.

That is such a mysterious statement. IMO, it sounds like he is sending a cloaked message to someone. Who was the audience that statement was intended for?

WHO was in need of redemption or salvation and somehow got it by the elimination of the threat SM represented?

And, if he was referring to himself, who did he think needed to hear this and would be okay with BM eliminating SM to save himself?

We have all been mystified by that statement. I recall in earlier threads there was discussion of spiritual salvation in the wake of tragedy. A few posters explained the concept in a manner that I was able to understand - or at least how the belief system works.

The problem with lyin’ Barry (among MANY problems) is he twisted a Christian concept to suit himself, and spewed it to make himself seem like a grieving, godly husband. It’s just another way he disrespected Suzanne. Her faith, her election ballot, her life. Nothing is off limits with this guy.

Maybe it’s time he should take a look at this line, confess, and tell LE and Suzanne’s family where she is. "I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents" (Luke 15:10)

jmo

I appreciate your post and the various types/aspects of abuse... I just want to add to that: financial abuse. One such thing I hadn’t even known was considered abuse for a long time. That could certainly play a role in all of this because iirc, BM handled all the money/bills?

sorry if it sounds like I’m picking at your comment—I’m not, I just wanted to point the financial abuse aspect. I do wonder if we’ll see any inkling of that in the AA. Or maybe it wouldn’t be relevant until later on.

also, totally agree with your comments on FD. That’s local to me and is so frustrating. I am so hoping that BM continues to be held with no bond. I thought a few threads ago someone posted Colorado statutes that outlines bail/bond amounts for each type of crime, and Murder 1 was a no bond charge? However, I vaguely remember googling about it and seeing a somewhat recent case where a father was charged with Murder 1 of his son, and was later released on a 50k bond. Perhaps because the circumstances were wildly different, but murder 1 is still murder 1...

Edited for spelling errors

It's my theory that financial (and potentially other forms of) abuse had been going on for years. I have wondered if BM squandered away the majority of the money, and SM discovered they were financially strapped (without selling property, or liquidating assets)?

Perhaps she asked for a separation or divorce? IMO, this would have sent Mr controlling pants into a tizzy. How dare she threaten to leave him and take all of her money? "I'll get you" type of mentality. He has (IMHO) acted like he's entitled to whatever he wants, and how dare someone question that.

TBH, I am both anticipating and dreading the AA to be released. I fear we may learn of things that will be heartbreaking.

I wonder why these husbands think they will get away with murdering their wives. It is not as if there are daily/monthly articles about 'Fred Bloggs murdered his wife and got away with it'.

They always think they are going to be the OJ Simpson, the exception.

Then they spend whatever money they have trying to avoid a conviction, when they would have been much better off getting a divorce and having half the assets.
IMHO they’re greedy. Whether it’s their own money or someone else’s. Bottom line is they want the money and lifestyle without the responsibility that comes with that.

It's my theory that financial (and potentially other forms of) abuse had been going on for years. I have wondered if BM squandered away the majority of the money, and SM discovered they were financially strapped (without selling property, or liquidating assets)?

Perhaps she asked for a separation or divorce? IMO, this would have sent Mr controlling pants into a tizzy. How dare she threaten to leave him and take all of her money? "I'll get you" type of mentality. He has (IMHO) acted like he's entitled to whatever he wants, and how dare someone question that.

TBH, I am both anticipating and dreading the AA to be released. I fear we may learn of things that will be heartbreaking.
I feel the same way about the AA. I'm eager to know what LE has found and believes happened and afraid that it will be hard to bear knowing.

imo, I don’t think his words were as meaningful as he wanted them to seem. I think he made a few “smart” moves in this whole ordeal, which is why SM has yet to be found, but I truly believe he is a lot dumber than even we believe so far. That whole line/quote is so...weird and misplaced that I can only think he’s just saying whatever to say whatever. Fake concern, fake caring, fake insight, fake everything. Of course, he could not even muster up as close to a genuine message as possible..

unless he wanted the mountain lion story to live on, and he believed ... mountain lion awareness would come from this?? And that would save someone one day?? I mean, it’s hard to make sense of nonsense.
Spot On! Could never say it better! Like this 100 times!

No, the judge’s order on 5/14 states that motions in response to the defense’s motion must not be made public. I’d say that’s for all motions made, even by the media. Imo.

here’s the order

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/Order Regarding Defense Motion To Limit Public Access To Court Records Already Filed.pdf
That is such a mysterious statement. IMO, it sounds like he is sending a cloaked message to someone. Who was the audience that statement was intended for?

WHO was in need of redemption or salvation and somehow got it by the elimination of the threat SM represented?

And, if he was referring to himself, who did he think needed to hear this and would be okay with BM eliminating SM to save himself?

AM knew his cat story didn't add up though.
AM might of chalked it up to BM hoping she didn't fall prey to a human predator.
I don't think anyone believed the mountain lion story, especially after LE said they found no evidence of an animal attack.

As far as the confusion about when a missing person can be declared deceased, I think it's a common mistake. In one of the PE interviews Andy said Barry could not sell the house for seven years, assuming that's how long it would take before a missing person is considered deceased. Imo

My interpretation of his statement about "just one person being saved" is that length of life is uncertain & death is coming for everyone so your soul needs to be saved - something he would have heard preached in the Baptist church, i.e., if you disappeared tomorrow, would your soul rest in heaven or hell from a theological standpoint. An evil thing for a murderer to say but in his twisted mind perhaps a way of thinking Suzanne was saved so she's in a better place. Of course, taking her life was playing God so he would be better off leaving that topic alone. Speaks to his sense of entitlement. MOO

I appreciate your post and the various types/aspects of abuse... I just want to add to that: financial abuse. One such thing I hadn’t even known was considered abuse for a long time. That could certainly play a role in all of this because iirc, BM handled all the money/bills?

sorry if it sounds like I’m picking at your comment—I’m not, I just wanted to point the financial abuse aspect. I do wonder if we’ll see any inkling of that in the AA. Or maybe it wouldn’t be relevant until later on.

also, totally agree with your comments on FD. That’s local to me and is so frustrating. I am so hoping that BM continues to be held with no bond. I thought a few threads ago someone posted Colorado statutes that outlines bail/bond amounts for each type of crime, and Murder 1 was a no bond charge? However, I vaguely remember googling about it and seeing a somewhat recent case where a father was charged with Murder 1 of his son, and was later released on a 50k bond. Perhaps because the circumstances were wildly different, but murder 1 is still murder 1...

Edited for spelling errors

I agree! I think the entire motive was financial. It was the most important thing to BM. I think that if he were given the choice of having Suzanne alive with no money to her name, or having Suzanne dead with all of her inherited money, he would and did choose the latter. I wish I could remember which acquaintance said that money was very important to Barry. Having inherited some money from my parents, I've learned that the spouse has no right to it whatsoever in the event of a divorce unless you start commingling assets. By getting Suzanne to buy a very, very expensive house, he got her to commingle the assets. Boom. It's like a messed up soft serve cream machine where you put in all of your own inherited money at the top, but when it comes out the other end, both of your names end up on the house which means it ends up on the money. Done! The money is now BOTH of yours. Easy peasy.

I think BM thought SM would die of cancer and he would get everything that way. Or, he thought well, at least now, if we do get a divorce, I'll get half of that money. But maybe Suzanne realized what had happened and was upset about it. I would be. When she was given the all clear again, and he knew that a messy divorce would be needed to have half her money, I think he took drastic action. I bet that there are a lot of interesting web searches dealing with guardianship, missing person / dead persons, inheritance money, and more leading up to SMs death. I also wonder if SM did some searches that BM was aware of by spying on her. Yikes. I can't imagine what it feels like to suddenly realize you're in real danger from your own spouse, and that even if you do get out alive, you're going to have to give them half of the money that your mom and dad worked hard for. That would make me homicidal! Bad joke. But seriously it must have been devastating for Suzanne in those last few weeks or days or maybe longer when the money and her physical safety became a huge issue.

Last edited:
My interpretation of his statement about "just one person being saved" is that length of life is uncertain & death is coming for everyone so your soul needs to be saved - something he would have heard preached in the Baptist church, i.e., if you disappeared tomorrow, would your soul rest in heaven or hell from a theological standpoint. An evil thing for a murderer to say but in his twisted mind perhaps a way of thinking Suzanne was saved so she's in a better place. Of course, taking her life was playing God so he would be better off leaving that topic alone. Speaks to his sense of entitlement. MOO
I think he was just mimicking something Suzanne would say. She probably always saw the good in people and believed in forgiveness. He was likely referring to the concept that sometimes good comes from evil.

Only I doubt very much Suzanne would say something like that about her own murder. It just shows how narcissistic he is. It was his way of downplaying what he did to ease his own mind. Imo

In the article posted above, BM's pal said "I'm honestly shocked that they charged him with murder because you have to be missing for a year to be declared dead, so they didn't have a death certificate when they arrested him."

What in the world is this person smoking? Is this a way of saying "no body/no crime"?
IMO Barry operated under that same mistaken assumption.

From the time Kelsey Berreth went missing to the end of the trial we kept being shocked by each new revelation over and over and over again. Our conjectures based on MSM coverage paled compared to what the AA revealed. And the info in the AA was just the tip of the iceberg compared to the evidence presented at trial. And it was the prosecution’s telling of that story that made the horror tangible.

I think it will go down that way again in this case. The AA will give us enough discrete information to justify the arrest — web search histories, IM’s, phone pings, key physical forensic evidence gathered, perhaps even a few revealing 3rd party interviews. (I am still not convinced there isn’t a KK equivalent here, or at least a “KK-lite” — someone, male or female, with enough inside info to fill in important gaps.) But the AA won’t reveal everything. Not even close. It will sketch key parts of the story but it won’t draw the entire panorama, it won’t ink in all the little details, it won’t colorize it. But they’ll do that at the trial. Count on it.

It won’t be until 100% of discovery is made available to the defense that they will finally realize just how cooked his goose actually is. Only then might we see a decision to cooperate in exchange for reduced charges. IF BM has better counsel than PF and IF he’s wise enough to see the situation for what it is. But somehow I doubt he will...

MOO.

Friend* who has known BM "a number of years" says: "He knows those woods and Colorado better than anybody out there...he hunted and fished every day of his life." bbm
Friend's stmt may pass smell test for MSM reporter or a youtuber, but not in court, imo.
- - - - - - - -
Trying to visualize friend testifying re ^ in court for def. team, then the cross exam.
CX Q's:
Did you hunt & fish w BM every day?
If not every day, how often? Oh, once a month/twice a year? etc
How many years?
If you personally did not go hunting or fishing w him, how did you know BM did this daily?
Oh, you lived close by?
Did you see BM load & unload gear, coolers in his pickup/vehicle daily?

Oh, so it was BM who told you he hunted & fished daily?
- - - - - - - - - -
Sorry, doubting friend's stmt re daily hunting & fishing is anything but hyperbole. And what about-
- Their friendship? Friends IRL or mostly on FB? Has he known BM only since the M's moved to PP? If so, only ~three yrs.
- Knows "those woods better than anybody"? No lifelong CO resident - maybe a hunting or fishing outfitter/guide - knows CO woods better than a IN man who hunted there - what, two or three times a year - and has lived there for approx 3 yrs??? Oh really?
my2ct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members