Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #63 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post removed>
I don't think the conversation ending abruptly necessarily means he killed her right then. He might have cut off the wifi, started an argument with her, or Suzanne may have stopped texting herself, intending to continue later, and never had the chance.

I do think emotion plays a large role, though, especially if Suzanne wanted to end the marriage. I think that would have infuriated him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I think his phone, vehicle gps, or surveillance footage put him there.

The FBI Evidence Response Team spending 3 days digging up someone’s private property based on some sounds heard by an elderly woman, just seems unlikely to me.
Agree…it is abit of a leap that it was solely the woman’s report of sounds that caused that search. That is one of the heavily publicly published searches and it would be interesting to know what triggered it and if they found anything in the highly selective and smallish area that was sifted and searched.

BM a mafia type figure (I know you don’t mean literally)? I personally can’t see that type of personality in him at.all. He’s always come off as weak minded to me. Someone who got to CO and tried desperately to fit in with the younger guys such as GD (who I believe has zero involvement- this is all BM). He might be a big deal in his social circle in IN, but that’s about it.

IIRC LS stated in one of her conversation with him, he kept interrupting her asking if she believed in God. I thought - dude, get the heck out of here with talk like that. IMO
My point was specific to a code that he developed for himself...and held others to who were in his life. Yes, I believe BM had a code that others must respect about him. I think it goes back to his baseball fanatic father....who put ERAs and batting averages above all else.

Agree…it is abit of a leap that it was solely the woman’s report of sounds that caused that search. That is one of the heavily publicly published searches and it would be interesting to know what triggered it and if they found anything in the highly selective and smallish area that was sifted and searched.

It wasn't just the small area that was searched.

"The sheriff’s office says while they searched multiple locations on the property, they did not make any connection to Suzanne’s case. They also did not release details about the search." Search For Suzanne Morphew In Salida Concludes With No New Clues

I think those locations also had to do with whatever MG told them about what they did there Saturday morning, and what BM said he was doing there Friday evening.

jmo

I am going out on a limb...with no intent to dig rabbit holes....But another "nagging" point for me is MG's account of two guys confronting her about testifying and discouraging her from giving up her cell phone to police, etc. This is clearly witness tampering, if not obstructing justice. Why weren't there any charges after a year against these two? And we know who they are, BTW. My guess is one or both flipped....and will be state's witnesses. After all....have we heard from them lately? Don't think so.

Oh, absolutely. BM has demonstrated that he's not adept at the whole risk-versus-reward stuff.
I think the fact that SM's dad was in poor health...he anticipated additional proceeds after Dad's estate was settled....I think BM kept a keen eye on that estate. <modsnip> BM was all about the benjamins. The countless pictures of him surrounded by his female family on vacation after vacation gets nauseating after a while....and I doubt he could afford even half of them.....and if you notice...the frequency of vacations seems to have increased in the recent 3 years or so prior to SM's death. That suggests to me that BM wanted to keep the family happy and together...and vacations was a way to cement the family unit. I think that was done to reinforce his control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t believe Barry moved her remains, and that was before the charges were filed.

He’s charged with one count of “tampering with a deceased human body,” and the dates align with the same dates as the murder charge (9th and 10th).

I believe there are multiple crime scenes, and some of those are locations where evidence was dumped (tampering with physical evidence).

House, bike location, body location, multiple evidence dumping locations.
Agreed, I believe he moved her from the house, in a cooler (or something of the sort) and discarded her once.

I've been in the camp all along that he did not take her too far. He's too controlling to drop and leave her.

MOO IMO

I am going out on a limb...with no intent to dig rabbit holes....But another "nagging" point for me is MG's account of two guys confronting her about testifying and discouraging her from giving up her cell phone to police, etc. This is clearly witness tampering, if not obstructing justice. Why weren't there any charges after a year against these two? And we know who they are, BTW. My guess is one or both flipped....and will be state's witnesses. After all....have we heard from them lately? Don't think so.

I don't know the law on this but, at the time they made those comments to MG, BM hadn't even been charged with anything. So technically, MG wasn't even a witness yet. I'm not sure if it works this way so maybe one of our legal professionals can chime in on that one?

I don't know the law on this but, at the time they made those comments to MG, BM hadn't even been charged with anything. So technically, MG wasn't even a witness yet. I'm not sure if it works this way so maybe one of our legal professionals can chime in on that one?
true....but if I recall...one of the two alluded to MG getting her paycheck in the context of talking to police. That is damning.

I think they felt bad for Barry, didn't like the fact that police were treating him as a suspect, and just assumed MG felt the same way. Telling someone they have rights and don't have to turn their phone over to LE is probably not the same as tampering with evidence.

GD was critical of the way police handled the bike and the crime scene and probably didn't like that they said "This isn't CSI," when he mentioned it. His support probably gave BM the confidence and all the more reason to blame police for "botching" the investigation.

I've always thought they were being sarcastic when they said they would give her a paycheck but they wouldn't want it to look like "hush-hush money." It was probably just their way of showing Barry support. At that time they wouldn't be thinking about what she knew, because they didn't think Barry had anything to do with the crime.

IMO

If there was premeditation...it was BM digging a hole in advance.
He could certainly do that. For instance, he could move some heavy stones around and dig a hole on their own property and explain it away as preparation for improving the hardscaping of the chosen area and, once he later filled in the hole and replaced the stones, no one would ever know but SM, who was the only one home with him from Wednesday through whenever she disappeared.

If he did something like that, SM might have seen her own grave being prepared and never been the wiser.

It wasn't just the small area that was searched.

"The sheriff’s office says while they searched multiple locations on the property, they did not make any connection to Suzanne’s case. They also did not release details about the search." Search For Suzanne Morphew In Salida Concludes With No New Clues

I think those locations also had to do with whatever MG told them about what they did there Saturday morning, and what BM said he was doing there Friday evening.

jmo
Thanks I did not know they searched multiple areas. That would make the most sense in the big picture.

I don’t think it would be witness tampering when there were no charges. Plus the two men referenced were not wrong…payment could be misconstrued and MG wasn’t obligated to turn over her phone without a warrant. She cooperated or claims to have cooperated so it is what it is.

My fellow sleuthers....pros and amateurs alike....one thing that is very profound to me......Barry Morphew was indicted for Murder One without a body. That could not possibly happen without specific, hard evidence which connects him to his wife's disappearance and death. The DA has the goods on Barry Morphew. Now, the state of Colorado needs a jury of 12 competent people who have the capacity to digest the evidence.....evaluate it according to the instructions given by the judge.....and render a verdict which reflects either guilt or innocence beyond a reasonable doubt. He was indicted; and if you listened to the DA...the State is satisfied that it can and will prove its case. I believe that the evidence is "pattern-like"...which is akin to fingerprints...i.e..the pattern of BM's activities over 3 or 4 days is such that only one conclusion can be drawn to explain those activities....What we know so far in each individual episode, (Broomfield for example) makes no sense..none of them do. Put them all together...and the pattern fits like a glove.

I think they felt bad for Barry, didn't like the fact that police were treating him as a suspect, and just assumed MG felt the same way. Telling someone they have rights and don't have to turn their phone over to LE is probably not the same as tampering with evidence.

GD was critical of the way police handled the bike and the crime scene and probably didn't like that they said "This isn't CSI," when he mentioned it. His support probably gave BM the confidence and all the more reason to blame police for "botching" the investigation.

I've always thought they were being sarcastic when they said they would give her a paycheck but they wouldn't want it to look like "hush-hush money." It was probably just their way of showing Barry support. At that time they wouldn't be thinking about what she knew, because they didn't think Barry had anything to do with the crime.

IMO
I'll take that into consideration....very reasonable. But I think MG felt threatened by these two...that is the part that gives me pause.

I don’t think they actually found anything there, but him being there is going to be very important. I think he went there to retrieve something, and then proceeded to lie about it.

Even though they said they didn't find anything there that is connected with the case (or whatever the wording was), it may be possible that they were not being completely truthful. (And this applies to anything LE may have done.)

I think I mentioned here earlier about our police saying that a victim's remains were found in a different location than where they were actually found - in order to set up the perp and listen to/watch his reaction. Get more circumstantial proof for a successful conviction in a purely circumstantial case.

Even though they said they didn't find anything there that is connected with the case (or whatever the wording was), it may be possible that they were not being completely truthful.

I think I mentioned here earlier about our police saying that a victim's remains were found in a different location than where they were actually found - in order to set up the perp and listen to his reaction. Get more circumstantial proof for a successful conviction.
The police must be very, very prudent if and when they utilize "deception"....Jury's don't like that , I think. They don't want police to "lie" even if it is in the course of solving a crime. "Lying" isn't in the course of "fair play"....People don't like it...and that dislike can be strong enough to influence decision-making.

The police must be very, very prudent if and when they utilize "deception"....Jury's don't like that , I think. They don't want police to "lie" even if it is in the course of solving a crime. "Lying" isn't in the course of "fair play"....People don't like it...and that dislike can be strong enough to influence decision-making.

I respectfully disagree ... the police lie all the time. When it comes to building a case. For example, we have discussed before (I think on this thread) all the distortions they say in recorded interviews in their interview rooms. I have watched them do it on (US) true crime shows.

"Jimmy is in the next room pointing the finger, and you know who he is pointing it at" When Jimmy is doing no such thing, and is being told the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay