Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #63 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just asked Mr Watson, 20+ year IT/tech security guy.

There are many apps that let you view someone's phone in real time. All they have to do is hand someone the phone for 2 mins.

Side note: I didn't tell him why I was asking. He asked me who I planned on stalking.

It does, and that’s what I believe must have been going on. I simply can’t discount what Andy said about Suzanne’s communications that Saturday, so that’s the explanation I’m going with as well.

I actually think he had already decided to murder her as he stood at that job site.

It doesn’t fit cleanly, as @OldCop pointed out, but it does fit with this:

“Last minute he changed everything. In fact, he called me that Sunday – Mother’s Day – and was really frantic, really didn’t sound like himself,” Gentile said. “I hung up the phone and I thought he just had the worst night of his life.”

Still, Gentile agreed to pick up Jeffrey Puckett and head to Broomfield.

‘I’m not the other woman’: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado
Yeah, I wish we knew the exact time of the conversation. The first time frame made sense when it abruptly ended at around 9:00 pm, and then 3 hours later was the activity on FB.

However, while Suzanne was texting with her friend, Barry still could have come home around 2:00 pm and had enough time to commit the murder before going back out again. If he went to the Fireplace store at around 5 or 6, that leaves about three hours that are unaccounted for.

Everything about the Bloomfield job screams Building An Alibi. How can the defense defend that?

Who gets up to head to work early, for an outdoor job, then checks into a hotel and showers and naps? And goes through their mail?

The jury will hear this.

I don't recall who said it (it may have been his step-brother?) but he was referring to day-to-day purchases, not buying Bobcats or houses.

At least that's how I took it. My point was that if he went to buy bleach, it's doubtful there's a credit card record for it.

I think there are other reasons why the PP home was purchased "with cash" (I think the transaction is more complicated than that).
If BM touted that he was a cash only kinda guy, perhaps it was his way of disguising the fact that he wasn't credit worthy. Omho.

Do y’all think Barry was smart enough to plan/preplan using a vehicle without EVI for getting Suzanne out of the house and to wherever she is? I can understand him leaving his phone at home, but was he even aware which vehicles had EVI?
It has been alleged that BM is a fan of true crime. That might have taught him enough to know that cell phones and gps have been the downfall of many a murderer. This is why I have questioned whether he might have used his ATV to dispose of SM’s body thinking that it wouldn’t have been traced. ATV’s are less likely to have a gps system than most newer cars.
Then there’s that darn Bobcat……..

If BM touted that he was a cash only kinda guy, perhaps it was his way of disguising the fact that he wasn't credit worthy. Omho.

I wish I could remember who said it, but in context, it just sounded like he didn't want any receipts tracing back to him - he could have used an ATM card if he didn't have credit.

But I think someone found him worthy of credit when they bought the Puma Path house (I believe it was a private mortgage deal). If he really did bring cash into a truck dealership to buy the new Ford, I'd be very surprised - but at that point, it sounds like he was really really into covering up his tracks, as in, criminal style covering up.

At any rate, if he bought big coolers in the year or two before Suzanne disappeared, I was hoping we'd have some kind of receipt that traced back to him - but if he always used cash for that kind of thing, and for gas, etc., there's way less to know about him.

However, that GPS unit inside his truck - which he did drive over the weekend when Suzanne disappeared - is going to tell LE a lot. I wonder if he thought turning it off on the dashboard would make him safe (or putting his phone on airplane mode until he determined it was safe to turn it on (I bet the girls got no response from him when the questions about Suzanne's absence from the wedding first began).

But his phone would still have the GPS data. I had my phone on airplane mode to check this out - and a day later, my phone politely inquired whether I wanted to give a review to the place where I'd been. The podcast, To Live and Die in L.A. (first season) is all about how one guy was caught entirely due to that GPS data (which Google collects as well).

It has been alleged that BM is a fan of true crime. That might have taught him enough to know that cell phones and gps have been the downfall of many a murderer. This is why I have questioned whether he might have used his ATV to dispose of SM’s body thinking that it wouldn’t have been traced. ATV’s are less likely to have a gps system than most newer cars.
I'm guessing he may not have known about EVT. Which, ATV maybe doesn't have it, but I'd bet an expensive piece of equipment like a Bobcat does. (I think we've been over this, the Bobcat and EVT.)

All of this with cell phone data may be why the AA was so long.

BM was here, there and everywhere.

Bbm regarding BM's odd behavior on Saturday am, as described by MG:
It has been mentioned that BM may have been monitoring Suzanne's phone conversations. (If she had been getting out of line, a definite possibility, if he could)

Could he have been able to see who she was talking to and read her texts in real time?

That could explain the unsettled state described by MG.
?????
Techy info needed.
All speculation.

I firmly believe the inmate was monitoring Suzanne's call and text activity. Many parents monitor their kids' social activity by using an app or downloading a program into their devices. Not sure about real time monitoring as I've never done it, but what about Suzanne's text to her sister MM on Friday. The text MM deleted, but could easily be read on Saturday by BM whether Suzanne deleted it or not. It probably riled him, and so he had to go 'home to make the wife happy'.

Total speculation:
I've always had a jigger in my mind about BM asking JP to go to Broomfield to work on the wall.

Mostly because JP himself seemed to think it was weird.

JP had never worked for BM before. He wasn't one of the younger set that BM used in the past.

Perhaps when BM went to DSI to do a mechanical thingy for his bobcat on Saturday, he didn't expect to be seen doing that. He says that he gave LE misinformation about when he was there and was very nonspecific about what he was doing to his trusty bobcat.

Perhaps BM felt a need to get JP out of town, paying him good money, hoping it would prevent LE from finding out about his bobcat thingy.

Did he want to use the time he spent at DSI as an alibi?
Is he hiding something incriminating about his bobcat?
Did he break his bobcat digging a deep hole?
Yes, @OldCop, there's that darn bobcat.
Moomoo

I firmly believe the inmate was monitoring Suzanne's call and text activity. Many parents monitor their kids' social activity by using an app or downloading a program into their devices. Not sure about real time monitoring as I've never done it, but what about Suzanne's text to her sister MM on Friday. The text MM deleted, but could easily be read on Saturday by BM whether Suzanne deleted it or not. It probably riled him, and so he had to go 'home to make the wife happy'.

I wonder if he did plan to go back to take her hiking or biking and then stage a fatal accident,but Suzanne refused to go with him so he had to choose a different way to murder her and then had to create an alibi.

I'm guessing he may not have known about EVT. Which, ATV maybe doesn't have it, but I'd bet an expensive piece of equipment like a Bobcat does. (I think we've been over this, the Bobcat and EVT.)

All of this with cell phone data may be why the AA was so long.

BM was here, there and everywhere.

I thought the conclusion that most Bobcats don't have it - unless they are purchased as part of a fleet and then it's a fairly expensive add-on.

I don’t think there is anything that tells us they were “cash only” people but even if they were that doesn’t necessarily support the high debt speculation that is floating around. Even if they had a big unknown debt looming they could have easily tapped home equity.

Did they have an ATV? It wasn’t in any of the pics so maybe in the garage.

Do y’all think Barry was smart enough to plan/preplan using a vehicle without EVI for getting Suzanne out of the house and to wherever she is? I can understand him leaving his phone at home, but was he even aware which vehicles had EVI?
I think he was vaguely aware his location might be tracked somehow thus the 4:00 am scramble to assemble a jobsite team in Broomfield later that day. IMO he started driving north to dispose of the body then realized he would need a plausible reason for being on that stretch of road at such a weird hour.

To me, the need for an excuse as to why he was on that road in the wee small hours is the most likely reason for suddenly assembling a team to show up in Broomfield on a Sunday. Mother’s Day no less.

lf he simply needed an alibi for his whereabouts Sunday there were easier ways to do it. He could hang out w/buddies at the fire station or any number of other verifiable ways. Ways that wouldn’t require persuading others to change their weekend plans.

JMO

There's a lot of "nefarious" about Broomfield.....why would BM leave tools on a luggage cart in the lobby of the hotel? Why not just leave them in the room since JP was coming there anyway? If he left them in the lobby, he surely spoke to the desk clerk or another employee...that is another witness. It would seem that he wanted to be on camera "leaving tools"...the interaction with the hotel employee(s) is an angle that I am interested in...and obviously, any supporting video of BM at and around the hotel. When the cleaning person came to the room after checkout...did they too smell chlorine? I think that would be material to backup JPs account of the hotel room events.
Add to this, I'm curious to know when he booked the room when it was so urgent to get this job done on a Sunday (without a weekend permit) and on Mother's Day, no less, and what the hotel clerk thought of his demeanor.
As far as the 'cash and go' guy, I don't know of any hotel that doesn't require a credit card to book a room or as security if you check in at the desk so there's got to be a record of that.

Possible timeline (discounting every data point we got from Barry, compiling what others have stated, repeating posts upthread)

5/8

Friday, Suzanne texts her sister. Long meaningful text.... Melinda planned to think on it and respond accordingly

Friday Suzanne MAY have gotten take out from Salida. (For one? For two?)

Friday Barry works at the beach jobsite.

Where was Barry ALL DAY on Friday?

Friday night the neighbor hears construction equipment approx 11:30pm.

[Was he working madly on Friday to close out that project ASAP? Or because he was aware he might miss a few days of worktime suddenly? Or was doing something nefarious? Was he preparing something for transit, to use elsewhere or was he swapping attachments or was he actively using that equipment? Could he have been "borrowing" a Bobcat or an attachment? Say the auger that was used to dig the footings there?

Where did Barry go after that? PP? Another house? Another city? Broomfield?

Did Barry work alone on Friday day? At the wall? The rest of the project was done, cameras were down. Was he getting a jumpstart? Or was he boring deep holes in plain sight? Just a work guy, working.

Did he have an argument Friday night? Did he go somewhere, anywhere in Colorado to dig some footing columns?]

5/9

Where did Barry wake up?

Where did SUZANNE expect him to wake up?

8-8:30am Suzanne MAY be messaging friend about upcoming wedding. 9am Suzanne MAY go for an ACTUAL bike ride. But on which bike? Maybe she WAS wearing her biking clothes....on Saturday.

8:30am Barry left wherever he was to pickup MG for the beach job. He acts strange. Wants her to rake beach area. During this time, is Barry on his phone? Is he perhaps following Suzanne's conversation? if he has trackers on her? Is he getting increasingly agitated reading whatever she's writing?

Work stops at the beach at 11. Potentially MG gets shorted half a day.

Where does Barry go next? Too early for the shop, did he return to PP? Was Suzanne still tapping away freely with her friend? Did Barry's sudden presence surprise her? Did she want to text but he wanted to talk? Did he get angry, fireball angry? Or, worse, calm and focused, just deadly.

Saturday Barry was at the shop -- at eating time, noon to 2. Fixing A Bobcat. His Bobcat? Whose Bobcat? Why was it broken? Did Barry ALREADY use that Bobcat or was he PREPARING to use it? Did Barry use a Bobcat Friday night and broke it? Digging into bedrock?

If MG used A Bobcat Saturday morning, she hasn't mentioned anything suggesting it was broken.....

After eating time, where does Barry go next? Shopping in Salida. For....? Late afternoon, the chlorine purchase.....

Barry COULD have been home on Saturday prior to 8:30, after 11:30 and again midday (after shop, before chlorine), including at 2:30 .... any of those IMO are open to the fatal contact.....

Something must have happened AT THE PP HOUSE or LE would have no reason to lock down the house. LE convinced a judge. 'Bleach smell' while interesting doesn't in my mind get one to probable cause.

After the chlorine run, where did Barry go?

Did Barry spend Saturday night at the hotel? When did he book his rooms? When did he show up?

By my count, Barry may have had from 1 to 2 and 4 to 6 free (the elusive 3.5 hours?) and after 4-6 unlimited time....

Did he borrow any vehicles?

5/10

Where did Barry wake up? What did his phone do all day?

When he spoke to MG on Mother's Day morning, was he driving TO Broomfield or MIGHT HE HAVE BEEN DRIVING BACK FROM THERE?!!!

We don't have ANY information about where he may have been on Mother's Day, the whole dang day.

Maybe he drove to PP to gather up a bike to stage, somewheres around 5am....

Just my random thoughts, opinions, questions

I wonder if he did plan to go back to take her hiking or biking and then stage a fatal accident,but Suzanne refused to go with him so he had to choose a different way to murder her and then had to create an alibi.

Yes, if he planned to go hiking or biking with her and had an 'accident', there might not have been a chlorine cleanup.

I wonder when the bike for parts was bought. Not that I believe that story, I don't. I don't think he ever had any intention of riding it or using it for parts.

I don't recall who said it (it may have been his step-brother?) but he was referring to day-to-day purchases, not buying Bobcats or houses.

At least that's how I took it. My point was that if he went to buy bleach, it's doubtful there's a credit card record for it.

I think there are other reasons why the PP home was purchased "with cash" (I think the transaction is more complicated than that).
I think the PP home was purchased with a bank transfer due to, at least in part, Suzanne's inheritance.
JP said that the owners of the store both looked at each other (side-eyed) when talking to him about the purchase and that's a very good thing. I'm sure JP told LE and they followed up.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member