Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #72 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This actually happened to a family I know, and that’s exactly what the daughter did.

And they are still married, 5+ years later. People don’t typically leave their marriages for their affair partners.

I do feel terrible for JL’s family. No sympathy for him. I hope to see him sweat it out on the witness stand.

MOO

They both needed something.

If I am understanding correctly, SM had discovered that her cancer had recently returned. She had an appt. to see her oncologist in the week following her disappearance.

I've noticed that Barry is quick to discredit others who are a problem for him by calling out drug and alcohol use. It seems to be the first thing out of his mouth.

My understanding was that the recurrence had been treated and there were congratulatory photos on line prior to May 9 with her and her friends celebrating having beaten cancer for the 2 nd time.

IMHO

I did watch the video with LS.
Again, they all three have known each other since high school.
One thing I found disturbing , is that BM's sister confronted LS and told her, basically you have helped ruin our lives.
I'm sure JL was terrified of BM "Mr. tough talking, tough guy" and or his family.

On time in 1995 in Colorado Springs, the buddy I was staying with had a fling a couple of times with this married gal.
Well turns out the husband found out. Well he was a professional archer training at the Olympic center.

My friend slept with one eye open, literally, for at least 6 months.

IMO

Yikes about the betrayed professional archer. Cheating is always a dangerous business, and sometimes wildly dangerous!

I can’t get those words of BM’s sister to LS out if my head. She spoke on it during the live show last night. Lauren’s healthy attitude was that her name (Lauren’s name) didn’t come up in the prelim trial. Loved that. Also, as a reporter, she was giving Barry an opportunity to share his side and advocate for his missing wife.

That’s what really chaps my hide. Normally, the family of a missing or murdered loved one is begging for media attention. They want Justice for their loved one. But when the evidence starts to show a family member is responsible, all too often they circle wagons and protect the accused. The media becomes the enemy. Justice is less important than protecting the family they still have. Human nature?

MOO

In regards to the carwash...we have carwashes in Indiana where you can choose:
A. focus on one part of your car, as well as full body wash
B. focus of 2 parts of your car i.e. wheels and windshield or underbody and wax, as well as full body wash
C. the works, all of the other options done to your car as well as a full body wash.

If Barry went to a carwash like this he may have chose option A and asked them to focus on his windshield. This usually consists of a rain repellent, or a special glass treatment being added on the windshield, as well as the normal wash.

This is my theory on the "windshield was the focus" idea from the car wash.

Hmm. Probably worried about species of insects. I have to say that he must have kept a notebook of all the things to remember to check for. I want to say I'm joking, but I am only half-joking.

That makes me think that his own truck was involved in some specific event in a non-urban area, perhaps during the night when it can look like it's snowing in CO, due to whatever those bugs are, they do vary by micro-climate and altitude, etc).

I don't know when the wife was told; however, I can see this being a reason to delay release of the AA. He has six children and a wife who would be affected by the information contained in this report. It appears that a few of his children are still minors.

So, in total, there are eight children to consider.

JMO.
Right? Wouldn't want to give JL's wife any motive! I feel terrible for his family. What a thing to have to endure.
Too bad they don’t charge him with accessory after the fact.
Would love to hear a lawyer chime in. From what I have read, if BM is convicted (I should say when), JL might be in jeopardy for being an accessory. He is definitely morally culpable even if not legally so in my mind.
JMO

My understanding was that the recurrence had been treated and there were congratulatory photos on line prior to May 9 with her and her friends celebrating having beaten cancer for the 2 nd time.

IMHO
I stand corrected! :)

"Suzanne, a strong woman on many levels, overcame Hodgkins Lymphoma twice. Once before her children were born, and again as the Morphew family moved to Colorado. The family says they celebrated her last cancer treatment on October 1, 2019."

"Suzanne was so happy on the day of her last treatment. She was still coming in for maintenance treatments, but the chemo was done and she was doing great. She was supposed to come in for her maintenance the Monday after Mother’s day, but of course, did not show up. "

“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado

Those that watched Mike, Lauren and Vanessa last night - trying to get clarification on the cameras - I thought it was said BM watched his cameras and trail cameras (obsessively?) while at work? Did anyone else hear that? Because if he was watching his home cameras as well as trail cameras maybe she found out and that’s why it’s thought she had touched the cords - maybe to disable them? The transcript of their show would be helpful even though it’s not testimony from the hearing. @OldCop and I are filling in some blanks for the timeline

Had some time with my thoughts while the thread paused.

I’m so disappointed that JL didn’t come forward. But folks here are right, she was torn, by her own admission. I don’t need to like JL. He was Suzanne’s choice, and if he gave her some happiness, I’m going to have to be good with that too.

I really want to see that final picture, sitting in the sun, feeling loved, feeling hope.

I’d like to hope that that the ending of her life was quick, and that she was feeling some joy up on that mountain in her last living moments.

I’m reminded of the lyrics of one of my favorite songs, Roll Me Away by Bob Seger:

Stood alone on a mountain top
Starin' out at the Great Divide
I could go East, I could go West
It was all up to me to decide
Just then I saw a young hawk flyin'
And my soul began to rise
And pretty soon
My heart was singin'
Roll, roll me away
I'm gonna roll me away tonight
Gotta keep rollin', gotta keep ridin'
Keep searching 'til I find what's right
And as the sunset faded, I spoke
To the faintest first starlight
And I said next time
Next time
We'll get it right

I have to say, this is one of my very favorite songs and it gave me chills reading the lyrics and picturing Suzanne. It was a beautiful bittersweet image. Thank you.

Have started typing up notes and came across this. I am sure it made it on a tweet, but wanted to make sure.

Spy pen: “relevant” as per Special Agent Kenneth Harris. They listened to the files on spy pen.
# Recording 1: Unintentional recording of radio when BM was driving F-350. News from 2/3/20 on radio. BM also listened to a/part of a Forensic Files episode were a woman went missing while riding her bike.

Now think about this.... Forensic Files would not be on the radio. With the poor reception in the area he would have had to have chosen that particular episode and downloaded it. Things that make you go hmmm....
Satellite radio like Sirius?

I listen to Forensic Files on HLN all the time using the Tune In app on my iPhone through my car audio. They play all the various news channels (like CNN etc) and other TV stations simulcast.

He is by all appearances a jerk, and it’s going to become more and more evident that he’s a guilty jerk.

So if you are the prosecution, what kind of deal would you do for her body? He knows what happened and where she is. It’s the only leverage BM has. So what’s that information worth? Would you be willing to let BM off a with 20 year sentence in exchange for the truth and her body?

I imagine they would poll the family about this and since the MMs seem to be the focal point of everyone's concern, I'm sure IF they asked the prosecution to offer him a lower sentence to get their beloved mother's body back then they would have tried that option. Problem is, if they believe he is innocent, they would never request or agree to their father doing 20+ years for some crime he had nothing to do with. Maybe 1 would agree to this, but I don't think both would. And without any direct next of kin begging the prosecution to make this deal (while a minimum of 1 daughter stopped being available to LE at some point), I think they would go for the gusto. No reason to offer a plea if they have enough to get him on M1 and those closest to her aren't demanding the prosecution get this info from him, why not go for the highest level? Jmo

Yikes about the betrayed professional archer. Cheating is always a dangerous business, and sometimes wildly dangerous!

I can’t get those words of BM’s sister to LS out if my head. She spoke on it during the live show last night. Lauren’s healthy attitude was that her name (Lauren’s name) didn’t come up in the prelim trial. Loved that. Also, as a reporter, she was giving Barry an opportunity to share his side and advocate for his missing wife.

That’s what really chaps my hide. Normally, the family of a missing or murdered loved one is begging for media attention. They want Justice for their loved one. But when the evidence starts to show a family member is responsible, all too often they circle wagons and protect the accused. The media becomes the enemy. Justice is less important than protecting the family they still have. Human nature?

MOO
Anyone ever see the movie The Accused, with Jodie Foster? The Accused (1988 film) - Wikipedia
I have been thinking about it since Suzanne’s affair came out in court. The wiki quote regarding is:
The film explores the themes of classism, misogyny, post-traumatic stress disorder, *advertiser censored* shaming, victim blaming and women's empowerment.

It’s amazing how public opinion can whiplash based on a detail. Unless you believe in honor killing, Suzanne’s extramarital relationship has no bearing on this case, other than premeditation and crime of passion. Yup, Jeff’s a jerk, Suzanne was looking for love in all the wrong places. Move on. Barry killed Suzanne.

Yes, and maybe focusing on JL.
That made me also wonder why, IF Barry knew about JL, he didn't give that info to LE?
That is a very good point. Suppose the missing journals did have writings their affair ? Well , I'm
pretty sure we know what happened to the missing journals.

Why would he keep it a secret ? IMO

From watching crime shows, I have learned that the trick is to wear generic clothing and a big hat, keep your head down and always pay in cash. Oh, you have to make sure that you park way off in the distance, too. Walmart, Target and Home Depot apparently have fantastic surveillance systems.

I was amazed at how quickly the police were able to catch Edwin Hall for the kidnap and murder of Kelsey Smith using Target surveillance footage. Such a tragic case.

MOO
I surmised from one of the PH tweets that BM did display some of this behavior. I think it was when BM did the trash run at the HIE. I thought I read he didn’t park next to the bin so had to walk across the parking lot. I don’t know if he had a hat on but it stood out to me that it was mentioned after he walked away from the bin that he put his hands in his pockets and walked with his head down. I took this action to mean to avoid the cameras he admittedly knew were around the hotel.

That is a very good point. Suppose the missing journals did have writings their affair ? Well , I'm
pretty sure we know what happened to the missing journals.

Why would he keep it a secret ? IMO

I think the missing journals may share Suzanne's thoughts/feelings and experiences during their marriage, in great detail. Don't think Barry would appreciate other eyes seeing that.

imo

SM had also said in one of her texts that she wanted to keep things civil. SM and BM had been married for 25 years at this point. She was probably feeling relieved that she'd talked to BM regarding divorce, and BM, in her eyes, was taking the news well. She obviously had no idea how much anger BM held toward her. I think this was his plan all along. To make her feel comfortable within their marriage at that time while he plotted and planned.

And she probably was actively trying to avoid a huge fight with BM while she was alone with him. The hike could have been her just agreeing to play nice. She liked hiking, maybe she just didn't like the hiking partner, but agreed cuz it was nice out, didn't want to argue, and although she was afraid of him, I doubt she ever considered he would actually murder her. I used to have a friend that I considered a very good friend who had bouts of violence with men when he was drunk (alcoholic), but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think he would lay his hands on me. I even told people that were concerned about me that there was no way he would ever ever hurt me. I made alot of excuses for him... until I no longer could... he attempted to go after me after I suggested that he needed to get help for his drinking. First and last time he was ever angry with me. Lucky for me, I got away and our "friendship" ended that day. I'm sure SM never expected her husband of 3 decades would kill her, hurt her maybe, but I doubt she ever considered this. Jmo

Those that watched Mike, Lauren and Vanessa last night - trying to get clarification on the cameras - I thought it was said BM watched his cameras and trail cameras (obsessively?) while at work? Did anyone else hear that? Because if he was watching his home cameras as well as trail cameras maybe she found out and that’s why it’s thought she had touched the cords - maybe to disable them? The transcript of their show would be helpful even though it’s not testimony from the hearing. @OldCop and I are filling in some blanks for the timeline

31:22
something that one of the co-workers of
barrie told me uh when i interviewed them
they said that he was constantly
checking his game cameras and his
cameras at the home

and so when i had heard that you know
the surveillance cameras at his home weren't working
i mean obviously in the courtroom we
found out i mean we don't know who
you know the defense is saying suzanne
pulled the plug on the cables