Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vague recollection of $70,000 being the amount that was agreed upon between BM and the Indiana company for the subcontract work on the Broomfield wall. Does anyone else remember this?

ETA: Yes, according to LS's video reporting about the Broomfield wall job, BM was to be paid about $70,000 for that job. Interesting coincidence.

Here is the link. At about 13:20 LS mentions how much MG remembers BM was to be paid for the Broomfield job involving the two walls:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #48
Wow that is great sleuthing @Diddian

@NoSI Thank you so much for this. 2 things stuck out to me:

1) LE found the sheets pulled from MalB’s bed, friend Holly was to return with daughters from road trip, and the thought is that SM cleaned the house and was in process of washing/changing sheets as Holly sleeps in MalB’s bed when she visits PP. No blood was found in MalB’s room, in the master bedroom, in entire house, in entire investigation.

I think this is important, I'd bet Suzanne was sleeping in the guest room and BM incapacitated her there. That is how the dart cap ended up in the dryer IMO.

2) Was there any blood found in the house, helmet, or bike? No. DA asks “Do you need to bleed to die?” No

They know how or have some evidence of definitely being deceased, just not blood IMO.

I think (hope) that jurors will see SM as many of us do. It’s not like she was having a torrid love affair with one of BMs friends (which I think matters). She went back in time to an old boyfriend from high school, someone familiar. SIX meetings in TWO years speaks volumes to me… this wasn’t about SEX, it was an emotional connection more than anything. Surely the DA will create a picture of her true character and help jurors see the truth about her situation.
Exactly and I think the defense will tear her to shreds - if the DA puts the focus on the 6 meetings over time that really puts the affair in perspective for me - she sought emotional support
IMO

If he did take her Range Rover, there’s a major issue here according to @NoSI’s notes.

May 12, 2020: Search warrant for Verizon phone records, RTT data, F350. No human blood found in F350. Decomp dogs (2 different dogs, 2 different handlers) did not hit. An exhibit was shown: Image of inside of garage with 2 Range Rovers parked in it. Dogs did not hit.

That’s why I’m leaning towards another vehicle being in play here.
If a cooler was used and fit inside another cooler and drenched in bleach- and if she was taken from the spa (presumably filled with bleach water) would that mask her scent and explain no dog hit? We’ve seen dogs miss bodies by inches so I’m considering this possibility- We need our SAR sleuthers to comment
@K9Enzo @Trackergd

May I extend a deeply felt thank you for this hysterical post and for all of those who chimed in with additions to the zoo. It was a needed mood altering event as my 52yo sister, diagnosed with Lewy Body Disease, went nonverbal over the weekend.

Sending hearty virtual hugs to @Kemug and also to those who quickly added to the zoo that we have found in this Murder 1 case. Remembering last evening's comments still giving a LOL. Someone was told they couldn't add just the donkey's azz as the whole donkey had to be present! :)
Well, thank you kindly DeDee. Yes, I did mean well, but also I can't help myself - I crack jokes in operating theatres, and probably will on my deathbed! And I'm sorry to hear about your sister, and send both of you my thoughts and prayers.

His Defense is insisting that he went to the Spa store between 4:30-5:00 on Saturday May 9. Broomfield was on Sunday May 10 so I don’t know how they’re saying that accounts for the mileage discrepancy.

There were 19 miles that were unaccounted for when #BarryMorphew went to Broomfield. Neilsen said this Salida Stove and Spa trip could account for 18 miles.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425215332575236096?s=21

We know that evidence supports that BM was at DSi on Saturday, May 9 around 2 pm to change the blade on the bucket of the bobcat. Eyewitnesses and BM's truck data place him there.

Google maps indicate the distance between DSi and Salida Stove & Spa at .4 miles or 2 mins by car. Around 2:35 pm, BM texts SM that he's on his way home and arrives at 2:43 pm.

If BM went to Salida Stove and Spa on Saturday, it doesn't follow that he would not stop either right before 2 pm or just before heading home from DSi. I don't think it's logical for BM to attack SM at home only to stop what he was doing and run back to Salida around 4:30 pm to pick up the chlorine! This return trip might account for the 18 miles but it doesn't make sense. I'm going to hold out for a receipt or surveillance here.

At about the 28 min mark, JP states that he may have seen BM twice but I don't think he wants to contradict the story told by the Stove and Spa store owners. JP finally clarifies that it's two weeks later when he's telling the story of the hotel room smelling of bleach that he learns from Stove and Spa that BM was there "Saturday evening." But I think JP may have some time management issues himself. MOO

Thinking of Ecuador, I don't know how many of you may be following a case we currently have here in Australia - I know South Aussie is :). Not that much has been happening lately, although this elderly couple have now been missing for nearly a year and a half. Their names are Carol Clay and Russell Hill if you are interested. They are/were another couple who were sweethearts in their teens, and came together again in later life. For a long long time I so hoped that they had faked their disappearance, and were living happily ever after somewhere far, far away. But sadly I don't think so anymore.

If a cooler was used and fit inside another cooler and drenched in bleach- and if she was taken from the spa (presumably filled with bleach water) would that mask her scent and explain no dog hit? We’ve seen dogs miss bodies by inches so I’m considering this possibility- We need our SAR sleuthers to comment
@K9Enzo @Trackergd

Technically you "could" do that. I have never heard of it being done before. Strong industrial fumes can cause issues for scent dogs.

There are a host of things (of varying levels of technology) an actor could do to mask moving a body, but the question you have to ask yourself, do they have the knowledge and equipment to do so? At some point many of them become so complex and time consuming that they fall into the low probability category.

Edited to add: But then again this clown may have dismembered SM and dumped the remains in a number of locations when he had a low tech, low probability of detection option right outside his own back door.

Last edited:
If he did take her Range Rover, there’s a major issue here according to @NoSI’s notes.

May 12, 2020: Search warrant for Verizon phone records, RTT data, F350. No human blood found in F350. Decomp dogs (2 different dogs, 2 different handlers) did not hit. An exhibit was shown: Image of inside of garage with 2 Range Rovers parked in it. Dogs did not hit.

That’s why I’m leaning towards another vehicle being in play here.
Yes, I'm seeing both another vehicle and another piece of equipment (not the bobcat) not owned by BM involved in the demise of SM.

Thank you for your excellent work NoSI

I noticed you wrote (on page 6) (BBM) -

<quote>
DA Linda Stanley questions Commander Walker

MalM called the Ritter’s on 5/10/20 regarding SM missing. LE was called by the Ritter’s. BM NEVER called LE to report SM missing. BM did not participate in any searches with LE. BM likely had a LE type radio as Volunteer Firefighter.
<end quote>

(and page 3) -

<quote>
May 11, 2020
1:06 AM: BM interviewed and he was free to leave thereafter. BM reportedly stated that “I want to help out any way I can”. He shared they had dinner the evening of May 9th and that they had a “great day together”. He left in the morning of 5/10 for Broomfield and reportedly texted SM “Happy Mother’s Day”, but never got a response. This was not unusual as cell phone service is poor at PP. He later contacted MalB to see if daughters had heard from SM. MalB then eventually called the Ritter’s’ and Jean Ritter offered to check the house. SM not there and bike not there. BM got reportedly “really upset” and asked the Ritter’s to call LE.
<end quote>

my takeaway -

1. Barry could have radioed in his concerns instead of asking the neighbor to call.

2. Is there any possibility that Barry could have listened in on LE speaking to each other on his way back from Broomfield?

I just learned that BM’s 400-tours buddy GD is also a volunteer FF .
He told LS that HE heard the radio call that the bike was found and was the 3rd person on scene. This is from last January.

Starting around 4:25

Last edited:
We know that evidence supports that BM was at DSi on Saturday, May 9 around 2 pm to change the blade on the bucket of the bobcat. Eyewitnesses and BM's truck data place him there.

Google maps indicate the distance between DSi and Salida Stove & Spa at .4 miles or 2 mins by car. Around 2:35 pm, BM texts SM that he's on his way home and arrives at 2:43 pm.

If BM went to Salida Stove and Spa on Saturday, it doesn't follow that he would not stop either right before 2 pm or just before heading home from DSi. I don't think it's logical for BM to attack SM at home only to stop what he was doing and run back to Salida around 4:30 pm to pick up the chlorine! This return trip might account for the 18 miles but it doesn't make sense. I'm going to hold out for a receipt or surveillance here.

At about the 28 min mark, JP states that he may have seen BM twice but I don't think he wants to contradict the story told by the Stove and Spa store owners. JP finally clarifies that it's two weeks later when he's telling the story of the hotel room smelling of bleach that he learns from Stove and Spa that BM was there "Saturday evening." But I think JP may have some time management issues himself. MOO

Tightening up the timeline - @OldCop and I missed the 2:35 pm text on Saturday- @Seattle1 do you happen to recall which reporter tweeted this? I followed mostly Lauren:
Saturday 5/9
12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)
2:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)
6:00 am BM’s phone revives call (d)
7:19 am BM’s cell revives signal
9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?
9:52 SM to BM, Where? (No response) Later on, asking about summer tires on Range Rover
10:36 SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?
10:48 BM: No, coming home
10:48 SM: Get hot tub stuff
11:00 am Tail Winds property (new subdivision)
11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM
11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river
behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.
1:38 BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms
1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again?
1:55 pm BM at DSI
2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat
2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.
2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL
2:44 BM returned home
ETU JL sends several texts, no response
2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44-2:47 BM moving around outside
house, BM shooting chipmunks?
2:44-4:44 Truck doesn’t move
4:44 BM truck door opens/closes
4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc
4:00-5:30 (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa (however store closes at 2 on saturdays)
5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted
9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm truck door closes
10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode

Hi, this is the write-up for Day 1 of BMs preliminary hearing on August 9, 2021. @MassGuy had a great idea to try this via Good Doc as the document is a bit long. I hope this works. If not, I will keep working on it. You should just be able to copy the below link in your browser and this should take you to the document.

Please note that I cannot vouch that everything on this write up is 100% correct as I had a very difficult time keeping up with the information by hand. I am especially concerned about dates etc. If you see any glaring errors, please let me know.

I will start working on Day 2, but it will take me a few days.

<modsnip>

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...ouid=117794417974558849920&rtpof=true&sd=true
You are so appreciated Dear @NoSI

Exactly and I think the defense will tear her to shreds - if the DA puts the focus on the 6 meetings over time that really puts the affair in perspective for me - she sought emotional support
IMO
I hope the Investigators on the stand will continue to set the record straight on the details of that relationship. People are screaming that SM had a YEARS long affair. MOO

Eytan said Suzanne had a lot of secrets, saying the affair was not a one-night or two-month fling, but rather 2 years.

Harris said the affair was 1.5 years, not 2. A commander with Chafee County said 2 years earlier today ⬇️ so it's not clear.

https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1424836217649041409?s=21

Also:

Harris said Barry told the FBI he did not know about the affair. Barry said he thought there may have been an emotional one, but not a physical one.

https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1424837688637616136?s=21

IMO
Listening to LS's recaps and her YT guest appearances, I got the impression that the court heard a good amount of SM's daily history and her life on the homefront with BM via SO where interjecting JL between the months Oct 2018-May 2020, basically illustrated how SM was able to cope, and/or how she survived. MOO

Meaning the river?

Meaning over 400 acres of empty land behind his home. Seal the remains up tight in vacuum lock bag(s), over wrap with heavy plastic, dig a deep hole, deposit remains and refill. Add some dead branches, a log or large rock on top and remove any signs of tire or foot prints. After a couple of weeks, nature would blend everything in as to be undetectable by air. Use an ATV or the Bobcat (if there was no GPS tracking) to get in and out during low light conditions like late evening or early morning. The hole could have been dug in advance of the act. The probability of detection by scent dog early on would be low and there would most likely not be a follow up search of that vast an area before decomp gases could start to leak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste