Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for my walls of text. I just get going...‍♀️ And can't sleep. I have something else to add but it's regarding another aspect of this case so I am writing a separate post.

The discussion about cancer:
I'm curious as well as to the type, the severity, and treatment. I recently went through treatment for breast cancer. I lost one breast and all my hair (one thing about Stay at Home is no one had to see me through that awkward growing out stage!) I didn't look much different or "bad" even after 40 weeks of chemo. Granted I'm fairly young and healthy otherwise, but Suzanne seemed healthy and fit. She may have tolerated chemo well too. She might have used a "cold cap" and didn't experience much hair loss, or she just had a great wig like I did. :)

Also, as others have said, she may not have required chemo. And we don't know the type of cancer. Some cancers don't require intense or prolonged treatment depending on stage/location, etc. A friend had thyroid cancer, it was removed without a hospital stay, radiation therapy a few times and barely has a scar. My aunt had a malignant tumor in her calf muscle removed and had radiation, but appeared healthy.

The cancer thing made me wonder too where was she living during her treatment. IN or CO?
It also got me thinking about Suzanne, and where she may have been in her life. Something like car, especially when it's a "female" cancer, can change a person a lot, and change how they view their lives. It can also cause relationships to change and sometimes suffer. It can also cause emotional turmoil and oftentimes depression. It can also cause you to reevaluate your entire existence.

I don't believe she would commit suicide, and especially on mother's day. Not an impossibly, but still where is she?

Could she have faced the possibility of death in her late 50s and come out feeling unsatisfied with what may have been a perfect life and wonderful marriage and family? She was with BM since she was a teen I believe. I'm sure she loved him but maybe after that many years the passion was gone. Did she have her own career outside the home? Her daughters are both pretty much grown and she probably felt the bittersweet loss of their presence growing each passing year. Maybe Barry was loving and a good husband but it'd been a long time since he made her feel beautiful or really engaged with her. Maybe she met a man in CO, maybe through bicycling or something else she was involved in who made her feel beautiful, interesting, etc. Especially if she had also been feeling "ugly" during her bouts with cancer. She finally felt alive!
It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that she ran off with some dude or the guy turned out to be someone dangerous. Maybe BM leaving for Denver and her girls still being gone, this was her one big
opportunity to go. If she were to leave her family I don't see her picking Mother's Day for that either. Not unless her family was a bunch of Ahos and that was her big FU, which I doubt but you never know.

I won't be surprised if BM did have a role in her disappearance yet my instinct is trying to lead me hard in another direction. I just don't know which direction that is. I think it's his eyes in that 23 second video. I see in them anguish and a bit of helplessness. I see a man who looks to be suffering but like he isn't one to even let someone hear his voice crack let alone make a tearful and passionate plea for his wife's return. While I'm no expert in that area, I was educated in and worked in mental health counseling for several years so I like to think I had developed a good read on people.

If I'm wrong, and I probably am, I bet they'll put the heat on BM sooner than later and he'll be brought in on charges. I don't think he's cunning enough to cover every base and every track. His daughters know if he's involved or not. Not directly, but they've figured it out by now.

Again apologies for the lengthy ramblings of an insomniac. And of course they are all JMO.

Edited to add: I am in no way bashing Suzanne. Just throwing this out there because I can empathize with how she could possibly have felt. Aside from the pain her disappearance has caused, and the cost of LE efforts I wouldn't necessarily think she's a "bad" person.

Last edited:
Yes. If he believed his wife was kidnapped, then his behavior makes absolutely no sense. Law enforcement clearly doesn’t believe that, so it’s actually in his best interest to “scream from the mountain tops.”

If he merely picked up the phone and talked to a reporter, this case would be front page news again. His priority is not finding his wife, because I believe he knows what happened to her.

I’ve said this before, but at a bare minimum, he’s the worst husband on the face of the earth.

He’s not the first man from Colorado that I’ve said that about. Incidentally, the others were cold blooded killers.

Why is he a horrible husband? Because if you didn’t kill her, someone took her. If someone took her, the only way you can help save her is via public attention.

Enough said. Pass the rotten tomatoes.
I 100% agree with this. But, what about the friends and relatives?

A woman in my area was missing for years before her body was found. Many people knew who the killer would turn out to be, but still, this womans face was everywhere you looked. Her friends and relatives held regular vigils, searches, shared SMedia posts, updated posters around town, etc. They wanted peace, and they wanted justice for her. IMO, while LE did the very best they could, it was the public interest (and continuous tips) that kept the case from going cold.

Where is Suzannes support team?

I 100% agree with this. But, what about the friends and relatives?

A woman in my area was missing for years before her body was found. Many people knew who the killer would turn out to be, but still, this womans face was everywhere you looked. Her friends and relatives held regular vigils, searches, shared SMedia posts, updated posters around town, etc. They wanted peace, and they wanted justice for her. IMO, while LE did the very best they could, it was the public interest (and continuous tips) that kept the case from going cold.

Where is Suzannes support team?

That too makes me wonder if she could have gone missing of her own accord and LE has evidence to support that but it's not concrete enough to say for certain so they need to keep looking into it and into other possibilities until they are able to locate or make contact with her. But it could explain the sudden quiet from the family and their urgency in locating her. And not many would publicly gush over their wonderful friend or family member, or want to answer tricky questions when it's probable she is living her best life far from Salida with her lover.
I don't want to believe she'd abandon her children but I don't know what their relationship is. It appears they are close but those pictures are able lie just as well as her photos with BM. < modsnip> Maybe they weren't very close?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. If he believed his wife was kidnapped, then his behavior makes absolutely no sense. Law enforcement clearly doesn’t believe that, so it’s actually in his best interest to “scream from the mountain tops.”

If he merely picked up the phone and talked to a reporter, this case would be front page news again. His priority is not finding his wife, because I believe he knows what happened to her.

I’ve said this before, but at a bare minimum, he’s the worst husband on the face of the earth.

He’s not the first man from Colorado that I’ve said that about. Incidentally, the others were cold blooded killers.

Why is he a horrible husband? Because if you didn’t kill her, someone took her. If someone took her, the only way you can help save her is via public attention.

Enough said. Pass the rotten tomatoes.
Even if he believed a mountain lion took her, wouldn’t he be out looking for her? Pleading with the public for help finding her?

IMO his behavior from day 1 has been an indication that he doesn’t expect her to really be found. MOO

JMO

That too makes me wonder if she could have gone missing of her own accord and LE has evidence to support that but it's not concrete enough to say for certain so they need to keep looking into it and into other possibilities until they are able to locate or make contact with her. But it could explain the sudden quiet from the family and their urgency in locating her. And not many would publicly gush over their wonderful friend or family member, or want to answer tricky questions when it's probable she is living her best life far from Salida with her lover.
I don't want to believe she'd abandon her children but I don't know what their relationship is. It appears they are close but those pictures are able lie just as well as her photos with BM. I've known teenage girls who make me relieved I've got a boy, and who are vapid, entitled, self-absorbed and have no respect for their parents. Maybe they weren't very close?
Respectfully, my opinion is quite the opposite. Even if not for her daughters (who are way too young to be dealing with this), she has siblings, and friends, and a church family, etc. If LE suspected she ran away, they wouldnt have dug up a perfectly good foundation looking for evidence. Jmho.

Just speculation here - but avid hunters usually put in for tags every year in their home states - (cheaper than out of state. ) These areas are huge of course and each state divides up the hunting boundaries or areas - and then of course as to what game can be hunted and when. Avid hunters also get to know where they will hunt or have hunted before. Sometimes these areas are no where near where an actual home address is - say Salida. Or they could be close. I would sure look at a hunter's tag history. It is human nature to stay in familiar areas - or maybe to even hide things there as well.

BBM
snipped for focus
I have no idea how I would react in a similar position. I can say that if I were being accused all over the internet of murdering my loved one, and I was innocent and haven't been named a POI, that I would be scared to death to speak publicly.
I see this mentioned often. It is because of BMs initial reaction or lack thereof that people are suspect of him. His immediate flex with a fistful of dollars and silence for so many days is what is fueling this fire. Add to it the bizarre 26 second video, guardianship, LE's actions and the .

Last edited:
I have read through a lot of posts, not all, and could not find this information before posting. BM alibis may stand up if Suzanne was killed before May 10th and he had a job already lined up for May 10th. Driving out to the job could have helped him to hide the evidence.

‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew
We have a media thread FYI - discussion of the chatty fire chief took place in an earlier thread - he has quite a lot to say but now? Not so much ...
JMO
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

About the pictures used on the posters and banners:
What if LE found that she was last seen with her helmet (bike, etc) just as described and pictured? That may be one of the things canvassing officers will share with the people they speak with in person.

I know this is getting annoying to hear this, but to say it again; just because LE hasn't announced it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are likely many "its".
It is absolutely possible that her helmet was placed on her head. Just like the bike was placed where it was found. If so, and if it is still on her head, I hope that makes the likelihood of her being found greater. That would indicate, to my mind, that someone felt a narrative of abduction while biking would clear his involvement. That person might not fear her being found, if LE believed a particular timeline of specific events, the Mother's Day bike ride obduction. I'm trying to be hopeful that she will be found. Moo
Edited for clarity of thoughts, spelling, grammar.

Last edited:
I'm spending the weekend in a nearby town to Salida - about 25 miles away. About one in five shops in the downtown area have a SM missing person flyer (8.5 inch x 11 inch). I find these flyers small and for someone not familiar with the iconic image of SM in the bike helmet, one would have no idea it's a missing person flyer without walking up close to read. I asked a local shopkeeper who brought her the flyer and she said she thought it was a friend of one of the SM/BLM children. The shopkeeper said something to the effect that the flyer was delivered recently. Two years ago I had family trip to Iowa one town away (15 miles) from Brooklyn, IA about a month after Mollie Tibbets went missing. It was like night and day - most of the storefronts in this town in Iowa had large (probably four times larger) Mollie Tibbets missing person posters and I saw a few cars (and even commercial trucks) on the nearby interstate (I-80) had Mollie Tibbets flyers or posters on them.

BBM - I posted this last evening. And, after taking a more accurate accounting of how many shops on the main street in this "sister" town to Salida about 25 miles away have a SM missing person flyer posted, it's actually 4 out of 40 shops. (1 in 10). All the flyers are the same...no reward mentioned. Interestingly, on a bulletin board on the side of a building, a flyer was posted (not a missing person flyer) that read "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING. Please stay vigilant within the "xxxxxxx" community and call in any suspicious activities to the "xxxx" police department at "*advertiser censored*-*advertiser censored*-xxxx" I'm not saying any of this means anything...these are just curious observations I've made that contrast with what I saw in Iowa a month after Mollie Tibbets disappearance. By the way, I'm not a local to this area (or Iowa), just a person who enjoys visiting the area just like someone from the east might visit the shore or a favorite lake destination for the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 119
BBM - I posted this last evening. And, after taking a more accurate accounting of how many shops on the main street in this "sister" town to Salida about 25 miles away have a SM missing person flyer posted, it's actually 4 out of 40 shops. (1 in 10). All the flyers are the same...no reward mentioned. Interestingly, on a bulletin board on the side of a building, a flyer was posted (not a missing person flyer) that read "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING. Please stay vigilant within the "xxxxxxx" community and call in any suspicious activities to the "xxxx" police department at "*advertiser censored*-*advertiser censored*-xxxx" I'm not saying any of this means anything...these are just curious observations I've made that contrast with what I saw in Iowa a month after Mollie Tibbets disappearance. By the way, I'm not a local to this area (or Iowa), just a person who enjoys visiting the area just like someone from the east might visit the shore or a favorite lake destination for the weekend.
The contrast is really interesting- does this seem like the public does not believe she’s missing and they should be on the lookout ? I think so
JMO

It is surprising that nobody has made any public statement- neither of the daughters, none of his family, none of her family, no friends, or anybody; except shortly after the event one nephew who has since gone silent.

Let's put ourselves in their shoes for a minute.

What would we do IF everything was leading to
SM's spouse being involved? We would gulp a few times and then gag ourselves from talking.
Utter Shock. Takes some time to accept that if
that's what LE is alluding to.
Besides dealing with normal grief of her going missing and likely deceased, the various stages
of grief still come into play.
The poor daughters may be very conflicted at this point. But on the other hand maybe they saw enough within the family dynamics that
it isn't a stretch to connect the dots.

I wonder how transparent LE is with the girls.
This is such an abnormal tragedy that all family must still be reeling and afraid to speak publicly.

Last edited:
Respectfully, my opinion is quite the opposite. Even if not for her daughters (who are way too young to be dealing with this), she has siblings, and friends, and a church family, etc. If LE suspected she ran away, they wouldnt have dug up a perfectly good foundation looking for evidence. Jmho.
Speaking of that perfectly good foundation, on what strong premise could LE have gotten a SW? We know they didn't find her body so they wouldn't have told a judge they have strong evidence her body is there. I wonder what convinced a judge to sign a SW. Of course, I'm assuming there was a SW.
We don't know if they did find something tho but obviously not enough for an arrest.
jmo

Speaking of that perfectly good foundation, on what strong premise could LE have gotten a SW? We know they didn't find her body so they wouldn't have told a judge they have strong evidence her body is there. I wonder what convinced a judge to sign a SW. Of course, I'm assuming there was a SW.
We don't know if they did find something tho but obviously not enough for an arrest.
jmo

IDK...a last ping before a device went dead?

It was the bloody board and Leticia's GPS from two vehicles that nailed her for Gannon. They had that information by Feb 15th according to the AA but they didn't say anything or issue an arrest warrant at that time...just gave her more rope, which she readily grabbed.

I agree no body found... but they could have found a piece of the puzzle that they needed to tie in...I say that based on their comment 'AT THIS TIME".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members