Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM - I posted this last evening. And, after taking a more accurate accounting of how many shops on the main street in this "sister" town to Salida about 25 miles away have a SM missing person flyer posted, it's actually 4 out of 40 shops. (1 in 10). All the flyers are the same...no reward mentioned. Interestingly, on a bulletin board on the side of a building, a flyer was posted (not a missing person flyer) that read "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING. Please stay vigilant within the "xxxxxxx" community and call in any suspicious activities to the "xxxx" police department at "*advertiser censored*-*advertiser censored*-xxxx" I'm not saying any of this means anything...these are just curious observations I've made that contrast with what I saw in Iowa a month after Mollie Tibbets disappearance. By the way, I'm not a local to this area (or Iowa), just a person who enjoys visiting the area just like someone from the east might visit the shore or a favorite lake destination for the weekend.

Welcome! (Love your name, now I have to go make something - yay!). I don't know if this will lessen or heighten concern, but the saying "If you see something, say something" began about terrorism in general. I think it came from or about Homeland Security. We have that saying on posters in public transportation where I live (suburban southern Ca) fwiw, Ted Kazinsky lived in tiny cabin or shed out in the woods...I imagine others are, too.

And another note about joining a wagon train assuming a person guilty without evidence, doxxing (not here) berating, making fun of and casting aspersions and ruining his life and the life of his mother: RICHARD JEWEL. That still gets me so angry and so incredibly sad to remember what happened to him.

Again, I have no idea about SM's spousal involvement either way.

I am a perpetual fence rider, It comes w the territory, I am the middle of 5 siblings. A while back, years before this forum, someone insulted fence riders as being too afraid to make a stand, so I analyzed, its what I was taught to do. I earned a BS in General Experimental Psychology, degree chosen because it was one of only two 4 yr degrees offered that year, Coastal Carolina, a branch of and just beginning to separate from the University Of South Carolina. I began my college career there, in Columbia, met and married, husband stationed at MBAFB, so I needed to finish asap.
This is relevant, so plz scroll and roll, if you are bored...I intend no criticisms of anyone and I am as guilty as everybody.

A good experimenter always looks back at the experiment to determine what, if anything went wrong.

Experimenter bias is one of the most common errors. IOW, inadvertent or subconscious manipulation to get the outcome you expect.

I could bore you further , but just this simple fact...Experimenters are fence riders, that is the nature of the game, because once you wobble on one side, you allow bias to factor in (noise).

I spent the next 30 plus years as a stay at home mom, somebody had to, husband a pilot, TDYS, military, one major deployment, then commercial always gone.

Couldn’t really use the old cattle prod, on the kids, but remember this, to get the desired results quickest, positive reinforcement combined w/ negative stimuli. KISS The mouse gets a treat when he pushes the button, and if he does not, he gets zapped.

And then you have random...no pattern, no rhythm. Hardest for the little mouse to figure anything out.

I have never been afraid of getting off the fence, just trained to stay there as long as possible.
I fell off the fence awhile back, on this case, but I am confident I fell on the right side.
This post is way too long. If you are curious, I’ll continue later, but if you want to guess, now is a good time to take a quick google of Shari Fay Smith.

It's fence-sitters who make good jurors waiting to learn all the evidence before making a decision.

It's fence-sitters who make good jurors waiting to learn all the evidence before making a decision.
ITA. What holds me back, is that they have not named anyone as a POI. While LE actions point in a specific direction, they themselves are holding back on it. Whether that's part of a strategy, or something else is hard to tell.

ITA. What holds me back, is that they have not named anyone as a POI. While LE actions point in a specific direction, they themselves are holding back on it. Whether that's part of a strategy, or something else is hard to tell.
I think LE is just going in the direction the evidence leads them.
It's interesting to me how long they investigated in the home. How many days? Is that unusual? Do we know how much they took out?
In the GS investigation LE wasn't there nearly as long. Of course the evidence was evident.

Speaking of that perfectly good foundation, on what strong premise could LE have gotten a SW? We know they didn't find her body so they wouldn't have told a judge they have strong evidence her body is there. I wonder what convinced a judge to sign a SW. Of course, I'm assuming there was a SW.
We don't know if they did find something tho but obviously not enough for an arrest.
jmo
I have all the same questions.

IDK...a last ping before a device went dead?

It was the bloody board and Leticia's GPS from two vehicles that nailed her for Gannon. They had that information by Feb 15th according to the AA but they didn't say anything or issue an arrest warrant at that time...just gave her more rope, which she readily grabbed.

I agree no body found... but they could have found a piece of the puzzle that they needed to tie in...I say that based on their comment 'AT THIS TIME".

Speaking of that perfectly good foundation, on what strong premise could LE have gotten a SW? We know they didn't find her body so they wouldn't have told a judge they have strong evidence her body is there. I wonder what convinced a judge to sign a SW. Of course, I'm assuming there was a SW.
We don't know if they did find something tho but obviously not enough for an arrest.
jmo
If they didn't find anything, I think it still may have had value, eliminating a possibility before anything else got built on the property. In that regard, it's something LE doesn't have to keep worrying or thinking about. It does improve focus.

I agree no body found... but they could have found a piece of the puzzle that they needed to tie in...I say that based on their comment 'AT THIS TIME".
posted by Murphy1950
--------------------------------------------

Yes! Yes! .................."and we hope he continues
to co-operate in the future."
they knew back then. For sure.

I’ve said this before, but at a bare minimum, he’s the worst husband on the face of the earth.

He’s not the first man from Colorado that I’ve said that about. Incidentally, the others were cold blooded killers.

Why is he a horrible husband? Because if you didn’t kill her, someone took her. If someone took her, the only way you can help save her is via public attention.

Enough said. Pass the rotten tomatoes.
BBM and SBM
ITA and LOL :D
That’s how I would have described that photo, but I wouldn’t have described that photo in the first place, as it is wholly irrelevant.

BM pulls his pants up.” “BM eats a popsicle.” Who cares?
BBM LMAO :D:D:D

I apologize for my walls of text. I just get going...‍♀️ And can't sleep. I have something else to add but it's regarding another aspect of this case so I am writing a separate post.

The discussion about cancer:
I'm curious as well as to the type, the severity, and treatment. I recently went through treatment for breast cancer. I lost one breast and all my hair (one thing about Stay at Home is no one had to see me through that awkward growing out stage!) I didn't look much different or "bad" even after 40 weeks of chemo. Granted I'm fairly young and healthy otherwise, but Suzanne seemed healthy and fit. She may have tolerated chemo well too. She might have used a "cold cap" and didn't experience much hair loss, or she just had a great wig like I did. :)

Also, as others have said, she may not have required chemo. And we don't know the type of cancer. Some cancers don't require intense or prolonged treatment depending on stage/location, etc. A friend had thyroid cancer, it was removed without a hospital stay, radiation therapy a few times and barely has a scar. My aunt had a malignant tumor in her calf muscle removed and had radiation, but appeared healthy.

The cancer thing made me wonder too where was she living during her treatment. IN or CO?
It also got me thinking about Suzanne, and where she may have been in her life. Something like car, especially when it's a "female" cancer, can change a person a lot, and change how they view their lives. It can also cause relationships to change and sometimes suffer. It can also cause emotional turmoil and oftentimes depression. It can also cause you to reevaluate your entire existence.

I don't believe she would commit suicide, and especially on mother's day. Not an impossibly, but still where is she?

Could she have faced the possibility of death in her late 50s and come out feeling unsatisfied with what may have been a perfect life and wonderful marriage and family? She was with BM since she was a teen I believe. I'm sure she loved him but maybe after that many years the passion was gone. Did she have her own career outside the home? Her daughters are both pretty much grown and she probably felt the bittersweet loss of their presence growing each passing year. Maybe Barry was loving and a good husband but it'd been a long time since he made her feel beautiful or really engaged with her. Maybe she met a man in CO, maybe through bicycling or something else she was involved in who made her feel beautiful, interesting, etc. Especially if she had also been feeling "ugly" during her bouts with cancer. She finally felt alive!
It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that she ran off with some dude or the guy turned out to be someone dangerous. Maybe BM leaving for Denver and her girls still being gone, this was her one big
opportunity to go. If she were to leave her family I don't see her picking Mother's Day for that either. Not unless her family was a bunch of Ahos and that was her big FU, which I doubt but you never know.

I won't be surprised if BM did have a role in her disappearance yet my instinct is trying to lead me hard in another direction. I just don't know which direction that is. I think it's his eyes in that 23 second video. I see in them anguish and a bit of helplessness. I see a man who looks to be suffering but like he isn't one to even let someone hear his voice crack let alone make a tearful and passionate plea for his wife's return. While I'm no expert in that area, I was educated in and worked in mental health counseling for several years so I like to think I had developed a good read on people.

If I'm wrong, and I probably am, I bet they'll put the heat on BM sooner than later and he'll be brought in on charges. I don't think he's cunning enough to cover every base and every track. His daughters know if he's involved or not. Not directly, but they've figured it out by now.

Again apologies for the lengthy ramblings of an insomniac. And of course they are all JMO.

Edited to add: I am in no way bashing Suzanne. Just throwing this out there because I can empathize with how she could possibly have felt. Aside from the pain her disappearance has caused, and the cost of LE efforts I wouldn't necessarily think she's a "bad" person.

I don't see her choosing a bike ride to accomplish this, frankly. And had her phone and ID and so forth been missing, I think LE would have different theories about this case.

Unless, of course, she staged her own disappearance near her house. Then she's not in her normal state of mind, because no matter the midlife crisis, a person doesn't run off and leave their children because of empty nest syndrome. She would have had to be suffering from some other, greater mental health issue or crisis.

She's been gone more than a month, her daughters must be in morning, state and even national resources have been brought to bear and she's just off with some guy? If he's not local, then she met him on the internet and managed to hide her digital footprint with high tech wizardry that goes beyond VPN (because FBI can still see what places a person has visited on the internet). If she wiped her hard drive before leaving, LE would be looking in entirely different places than under local concrete and going door to door in Salida.

Guy would have to be local - so where is she? Holed up in that guy's house or cabin? Used a burner phone throughout this torrid affair and LE has not discovered that yet?

They are putting the heat on BM. daily. They looked at one of his work sites. They forbid him (and his colleagues) from searching. They are now going door to door in Salida, probably hoping to get confirmation or denial of rumors going on around town, as there always are rumors.

She's not in someone's house in Salida, IMO. She's not in a cabin without electricity in the mountains, just hiding out. If she ran away to be with someone else, then she's with that someone (or they have brought harm to her).

I too have worked in mental health settings for years. I think BM looks very scared. And I think I know why. It's not because his wife is holed up with another man, though.

Let's put ourselves in their shoes for a minute.

What would we do IF everything was leading to
SM's spouse being involved? We would gulp a few times and then gag ourselves from talking.
Utter Shock. Takes some time to accept that if
that's what LE is alluding to.
Besides dealing with normal grief of her going missing and likely deceased, the various stages
of grief still come into play.
The poor daughters may be very conflicted at this point. But on the other hand maybe they saw enough within the family dynamics that
it isn't a stretch to connect the dots.

I wonder how transparent LE is with the girls.
This is such an abnormal tragedy that all family must still be reeling and afraid to speak publicly.

This is just my intuition, but since we do not know if the girls have even talked to LE, I'd say that getting conversations with the daughters has to be a major goal of LE. Therefore, LE isn't sharing information with them until they agree to share information with LE.

It looks like a stand-off from the outside perspective. It's possible they've all been in communication, which would be interesting to know.

jmo

Some deformity in the ground seen on underground x-ray.

And we don't know if they found anything or if they did, how it relates to this case.

Even if he believed a mountain lion took her, wouldn’t he be out looking for her? Pleading with the public for help finding her?

IMO his behavior from day 1 has been an indication that he doesn’t expect her to really be found. MOO

JMO
Jumping off your post, IceIce9, because you mentioned a mountain lion. Yesterday, near me, a four-year-old boy was attacked by a mountain lion. He was with his parents, walking in a nature preserve. He was scratched on his back and thigh, and is expected to recover. The lion was found and killed later by a fish and game officer:

Wildlife officials confirm mountain lion linked to attack on child

4:18 PM PDT June 13, 2020

>>>snip

SAN DIEGO — A 4-year-old child was recovering Saturday from minor injuries following an attack by a mountain lion at the Blue Sky Ecological Reserve in Poway, according to a California Department of Fish and Wildlife spokesperson.

That incident happened Friday afternoon at about 2:40 p.m., when the boy was walking in the reserve with several family members. California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers responded to the scene ...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Not much help for us fence-sitters
a010.gif
, I'm afraid, but this story did tilt me little bit backwards. I know, no evidence of such an attack here. But, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...right?

Probably because to be thorough you have to consider all possibilities.

I think that’s what we are stating. Those two aren’t viable possibilities in the cases we follow of middle class, upper middle class white women and kids who have disappeared. We haven’t seen one where that’s been the outcome.

That’s why I’ve asked for five examples. If it was a real problem for this demographic, it would be easy to find five examples.

I haven’t seen it.

Sex trafficking is a massive problem worldwide and in our country. But not for women like Suzanne Morphew.

As for drug cartels being involved in these disappearances, again. Not the demographic. This is the demographic:

Kidnapped boy recovered, 2 suspects in jail.

Prosecutors: 4 from Arizona kidnapped man for cartel bounty — 30 lbs. of pot

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/i...e-efforts-to-stop-kidnappings-in-arizona-7194

I remember there was one case of a missing six year old white boy out of AZ that had everyone up in arms about the drug cartels preying on Americans, after the kid was found and had allegedly been taken by drug cartel members from his home, at gunpoint.

Drugs kidnap of child shocks US

Now these weren’t typical, middle class suburbanites. Oh no. This was a family with extensive drug trafficking links.

The trial against the kidnappers fell apart and was dropped mid stream as the defense was busy demonstrating that the child’s mother and grandmother staged the kidnapping in order to force the child’s grandfather to emerge with money he had stolen from drug traffickers.

Puffinburger case kidnapping charges dropped

The demographics are pretty particular. If she was living in a border region and had dual-Mexican citizenship and a ton of money I would definitely say it’s a possibility. Because that happens.

Otherwise, in 16 years of being a member here, despite the fact that these two things are mentioned in every single case, I haven’t seen it be proven/true in even one case with this particular demographic.

Jumping off your post, IceIce9, because you mentioned a mountain lion. Yesterday, near me, a four-year-old boy was attacked by a mountain lion. He was with his parents, walking in a nature preserve. He was scratched on his back and thigh, and is expected to recover. The lion was found and killed later by a fish and game officer:

Wildlife officials confirm mountain lion linked to attack on child

4:18 PM PDT June 13, 2020

>>>snip

SAN DIEGO — A 4-year-old child was recovering Saturday from minor injuries following an attack by a mountain lion at the Blue Sky Ecological Reserve in Poway, according to a California Department of Fish and Wildlife spokesperson.

That incident happened Friday afternoon at about 2:40 p.m., when the boy was walking in the reserve with several family members. California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers responded to the scene ...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Not much help for us fence-sitters
a010.gif
, I'm afraid, but this story did tilt me little bit backwards. I know, no evidence of such an attack here. But, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...right?
I know wild animal attacks happen, but it didn’t drag him away with not a trace of evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader