Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think LE is just going in the direction the evidence leads them.
It's interesting to me how long they investigated in the home. How many days? Is that unusual? Do we know how much they took out?
In the GS investigation LE wasn't there nearly as long. Of course the evidence was evident.

Yeah I’m trying to think of one of these missing persons cases where this level of focus on family of the missing occurred but it didn’t turn out to be the family member who was responsible.

Yeah I’m trying to think of one of these missing persons cases where this level of focus on family of the missing occurred but it didn’t turn out to be the family member who was responsible.
Elizabeth Smart. Her father was questioned extensively. He never let it bother him and kept at it. He was in front of the cameras every chance he got.

The Isabel Celis case. I believe the authorities either took the remaining children away or threatened to at one point. Everything the family said seemed to be turned against them. In the end it was a non-family member who abducted and killed Isabel.

Elizabeth Smart. Her father was questioned extensively. He never let it bother him and kept at it. He was in front of the cameras every chance he got.

Well every husband/mother/wife/father is questioned extensively in these cases. Every one. That’s the process of elimination. I’m talking about search warrants. Digging up their job sites. Not eliminating them. That kind of intense focus.

The Isabel Celis case. I believe the authorities either took the remaining children away or threatened to at one point. Everything the family said seemed to be turned against them. In the end it was a non-family member who abducted and killed Isabel.

Yes. That’s a good one. They really seemed to believe it was the dad.

oh I remember that one because I was one of the dissenters. I really did not think it was the family, and I remember how hard it is to take a dissenting opinion on WS. It wasn’t resolved for a really long time. My heart really went out to them having to endure the loss and the suspicions for so long. The funny thing is, I have gotten much more cynical over time and I think if that case was going on now, I would have thought the family was guilty.

Victoria Stafford case. Her Mom held almost daily pressers and she was pretty much tarred and feathered.

It’s odd that the FB page they set up hasn’t been updated at all. Again, I contrast with the page done by friends/family of Amanda Eller.

IMO The private & successful search effort for Amanda Eller was incredible. She was found out of the search area by air, IIRC. They had incredible mapping technology, friends, family and knowledgeable folks that kept at it.

However, IMO, that private search effort is not the standard with most missing persons cases. There will be disappointment if it is. We did see something similar in missing WA hiker Sam Sayers. But then her mom & boyfriend’s side split. It became nasty. The boyfriend archived the page in the height of private searches still happening. She has not been recovered.

IMO, this case is different and from my POV being treated like foul play, not misadventure.

SM FB page was never even close to the same even when it was being updated. It was mostly online articles & reminders about the tip line. I don’t fault the family for leaving it. I do think it’s possible the last intended post was BM video.

Back to Amanda Eller- I remember her boyfriend & friend to both of them being absolutely crucified by people accusing them of harming her. Same thing happened to Sam Sayers boyfriend. I wonder how that impacts them personally? It has to be terrible. If folks are staying silent because they don’t want to put themselves out there, I totally get it. I don’t at all believe it’s an indicator that SM was not loved & missed right now. The immediate families lives have been turned upside down. I believe they are also in the dark with where LE is right now. There’s not really much to say on the page.

Just my thoughts.

The Safer-at-home months have created a new space for wildlife to feel comfortable. Many articles with pictures of groups of animals roaming roads and towns because of lack of humans. It didn't take long at all before the animals began appearing – a couple of weeks in some places. If attacks were happening before, imagine how emboldened some animals might be feeling.

These are some random finds unrelated to the recent Covid:

Travis Kauffman, the Colorado jogger who fought off a mountain lion that attacked him during a run on Feb. 4, 2019.

Mountain lion killed after attacking Colorado resident, deputy
March 11, 2020 A mountain lion attacked a Colorado resident and a responding deputy Wednesday afternoon in Larimer County, the sheriff’s office said.

Mountain bikers in fatal cougar attack did everything right, authorities say

What Really Caused Washington’s Cougar Attack
May 20, 2018 “...The cougar ran off but returned and attacked when the men got back on their bikes. It bit one – the survivor – on the head and shook him....”

A quote from one of the articles: “Cullens agrees the cat likely thought the riders were prey. “I think it’s likely that it mistook the [riders] for deer,” she says. “Mountain lions don’t see well in bright sunlight.” Deer were seen on the road eating the food from the plastic bag found by the youtuber.
I agree COVID19 has caused wildlife to venture outside of their usual comfort zone.

Mountain Lions kill by grabbing it's prey by the head or neck. There are significant puncture wounds. Large arteries run through the necks of both humans and animals. There would be blood left at the scene of the attack. They sometimes drag their prey, but not terribly far.

IMO, if SM was attacked by a mountain lion, there would have be enough blood at the scene of the attack for a scent dog to hit on.

MOO

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Interesting. Why would he be staring out the windows of his friends’ home? He surely didn’t expect his wife to come walking up there, did he? What was he looking for?
I questioned that a while back. My impression was that he was looking to see if LE was watching his movements (which would be logical in such cases) but some thought he was actually looking for SM.
He was staying at a friends house, iirc. Why would she be walking around on the streets?

If the article found is the bike helmet I'd find that very suspicious and staged .... who would leave an expensive bike unattended and yet walk off with their helmet? I think the first thing you'd do is take the helmet off where the bike is and maybe attach it to the bike, then head off. I think your first instinct would be to remove the helmet, and I don't think you'd carry it. MOO So, if it is the helmet found that distance away ..... h'mmm

PS: Whoops, quote mishap,meant to quote post of

Last edited:
If the article found is the bike helmet I'd find that very suspicious and staged .... who would leave an expensive bike unattended and yet walk off with their helmet? I think the first thing you'd do is take the helmet off where the bike is and maybe attach it to the bike, then head off. I think your first instinct would be to remove the helmet, and I don't think you'd carry it. MOO So, if it is the helmet found that distance away ..... h'mmm

Unless of course the wearer has a head injury and is stunned/confused.

If I had to stagger up out of a "ravine" with rocks all around, I for sure would leave my helmet on. I wouldn't be thinking about my bike or attaching anything to a now-damaged bike (we don't know the condition of the bike of course).

Then, as I realized my head hurt or I had a cut on my face or whatever, I'd take it off.

I do realize this is an unlikely scenario, and LE's actions seem to say they don't think this was a bike accident.

oh I remember that one because I was one of the dissenters. I really did not think it was the family, and I remember how hard it is to take a dissenting opinion on WS. It wasn’t resolved for a really long time. My heart really went out to them having to endure the loss and the suspicions for so long. The funny thing is, I have gotten much more cynical over time and I think if that case was going on now, I would have thought the family was guilty.

I was a dissenter too! I defended the “creepy” family.

Thanks for that. Interesting. Why would he be staring out the windows of his friends’ home? He surely didn’t expect his wife to come walking up there, did he? What was he looking for?

If my spouse was missing in the wilderness and I thought a mountain lion had taken her, I'd be doing nothing but thinking about how to get out there and track said mountain lion. My husband says he'd do the same thing.
Bloodhounds, trackers, trail cams, until every single lion den had been found and inspected. I'd be looking for bones.

If I found traces of even one lion, I'd be wanting to go out and find its den.

What's interesting is that when seen by TD, BM is near the house and near the creek/river. Not out tracking lions. If he's innocent, then perhaps he was looking for tiny clues that may have been missed by LE (can't imagine what, myself).

Perhaps he was just mulling this over. I'd be staring at the outdoors a lot, thinking, I know that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member