Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long?

At what point do the scales start to tip so that B.Morphew’s silence does start to look suspicious?

For those on the fence, who keep us on our toes (thank you), how long?

If Mophew thinks the investigation has already been totally bungled, one would imagine he’d feel even more compelled to shout loud enough for all to hear, “Where is my wife? Where is Suzanne? We need more help!”

Maybe 30 days is “too soon.” How about 40, 60, 100, a year? At some point, the scale would seem to tip. Because a reasonable person would plead with the world....at some point. No matter how unflattering, whether ill advised or blabbering, at some point, a loving spouse speaks up.

Point well taken. At the same time I can say that many in the public want to see the pain, anguish & misery on full display to believe the loved one cares. Some want their pound of flesh. Someone else mentioned up thread that they feel better connected when they see the family front & center. I do believe that’s a well thought out strategy for many families- humanizing the missing person.

The husband here, IMO, contradicts himself. Abduction, then mountain lion, bike accident, ending up in the river. Or he really has no clue and he’s puking out his thoughts. Again, he confuses me.

Many might feel loathing of the public by the accusations. They get the middle finger by the family. Some have a love/hate relationship with the media.

I do think this story, case carries forward even if the family remains silent.

I also don’t take silence as no action at all. We just don’t know. Maybe a PI was hired, maybe there have been private searches. Just because the public doesn’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Or- there’s zero action & they are waiting for LE to solve this.

If I went missing, my husband would probably resign his position, then burn the world down while stacking bodies looking for me. lol You would not see him creating a FB page or crying in front of camera’s.

IMO

It is absolutely possible that her helmet was placed on her head. Just like the bike was placed where it was found. If so, and if it is still on her head, I hope that makes the likelihood of her being found greater. That would indicate, to my mind, that someone felt a narrative of abduction while biking would clear his involvement. That person might not fear her being found, if LE believed a particular timeline of specific events, the Mother's Day bike ride obduction. I'm trying to be hopeful that she will be found. Moo
Edited for clarity of thoughts, spelling, grammar.

I really follow what you are saying.
It feels like a forced narrative of : how you will ultimately find her..
if you ever do find her..you will realize my story was correct...so I did nothing.

MOO

How long?

No matter how unflattering, whether ill advised or blabbering, at some point, a loving spouse speaks up.

BM may not be a loving spouse. He may have been a rotten husband. He might be a bully and a terrible father. But, those character traits, if true, don’t in themselves make him a killer.

In all 'whodunits' - it's all about motive...motive...motive....

My opinion is LE had a good idea 'whodunit' & that's why this investigation is in the direction it is.....

I'm still fascinated that they shared the numbers of their searches in their most recent press release......

If they've done ten 'large-scale searches'......& we know of only one (I'm sure they didn't mind the perp getting pressure)....where were the other 9 that went under the radar......??

Why was one allowed to be oh-so-very-public....if 9 others are not noted, utterly not reported on, entirely private......but this particular BM job site was very visible ....yeah, IMO.....there's a reason for that....

What I'm suggesting is that there are 9 other sites as meticulously sifted through as that one in Salida...

Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff

If your spouse is missing, wouldn't you be at your wit's end and calling the cops on a daily basis asking what they are doing and what you can do? Does anyone think that BM is in constant contact or has initiated any contact with police?

I'd like to think that BM is in contact with LE but that doesn't make it so.

We have the Sheriff stating earlier that BM was cooperating with investigators and hoping he would remain to do so.

That alone leads one to believe that the relationship between LE and BM hasn't exactly been a cozy, united one.

Reflecting back, BM has not attended one presser with LE. He specifically announced his generous reward via his nephew the morning following the presser -- all without identifying himself publically.

For two days, it was a concerted effort by the spokesperson that BM only be known as "the husband" while they announced and promoted the generous reward, G F M, and missing person page. And while BM was also not acknowledged as his (TN"s) uncle, SM was -- for lack of a better word -- marketed as his aunt.

I think odd is an understatement here.

MOO

BM may not be a loving spouse. He may have been a rotten husband. He might be a bully and a terrible father. But, those character traits, if true, don’t in themselves make him a killer.

True...but I also will say a husband who kills his wife is very likely to be 'a bully and a terrible father'...'not a loving spouse'....& 'a rotten husband'....

Sounds sorta chicken/egg to me

JMO

True...but I also will say a husband who kills his wife is very likely to be 'a bully and a terrible father'...'not a loving spouse'....& 'a rotten husband'....

Sounds sorta chicken/egg to me

JMO
True.. but let’s say a husband was all of these things and more, and yet ‘innocent.’ How does a bad husband respond when his wife disappears?

Last edited:
When he didn’t speak to the media within the first week, that was one week too long.

I’d be in front of the camera on day one, and I wouldn’t stop. If I was too emotional to handle that, I would appoint someone to do that for me.

Here, that person (TN) actually told the media not to show his face, and then went dark within days. It’s almost as if he doesn’t want to be associated with BM.

So it’s on BM now, and I wouldn’t hold my breath.
BBM:

It's "too soon" to speak with reporters about SM and help them get the word out about her disappearance.

But it was NOT "too soon" to get a Gimme Money Fund up and rolling.

Nor was it "too soon" to get those guardianship papers filed with the courts in Indiana.

Is this how a loving, devoted husband prioritizes his actions in the wake of his wife going missing under what are incredibly alarming circumstances?

JMO.

Yep GordianKnot - that's the nail on the head!

It was too soon to ask for her to be returned, to talk to media about Suzanne....but not too soon to ask for money.....

Frankly, I think BM knows he's toast - he's being blatant - he'll just ride it out & enjoy what he can with his loot....

JMO

In all 'whodunits' - it's all about motive...motive...motive....

My opinion is LE had a good idea 'whodunit' & that's why this investigation is in the direction it is.....

I'm still fascinated that they shared the numbers of their searches in their most recent press release......

If they've done ten 'large-scale searches'......& we know of only one (I'm sure they didn't mind the perp getting pressure)....where were the other 9 that went under the radar......??

Why was one allowed to be oh-so-very-public....if 9 others are not noted, utterly not reported on, entirely private......but this particular BM job site was very visible ....yeah, IMO.....there's a reason for that....

What I'm suggesting is that there are 9 other sites as meticulously sifted through as that one in Salida...

Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff
That’s a really good point, thank you!

The sheriff said, “10 large-scale searches performed throughout the county.” I wonder if there have been many large scale searches performed outside of the county?

I really follow what you are saying.
It feels like a forced narrative of : how you will ultimately find her..
if you ever do find her..you will realize my story was correct...so I did nothing.

MOO

This is why I thought the work site dig was curious. IMO, it’s would be a terrible place for BM to hide evidence because it’s directly connected to him. With all the wilderness available, it would seem a less risky choice overall. More chance of being discovered, but also more opportunity for deniability.

Hoping for her to be found very soon.

MOO

Good hypothetical there @K9Enzo ..................I personally believe it would be next to impossible to get all balled up in a plot when it's whitewater season. Come September through March......sure, why not? I am going to give it some more thought, though. As always IMO

Is this currently whitewater season and does it end in September? (Assuming rafting).

Why would the rafting season preclude getting immersed (balled up) in considering other possible poi's/suspects?

Because the poi/suspects are busy floating down the river?

What makes Sept - March better than now?

I really don't follow. :eek:

In one photo I see SM with a hydration pack. I'm going to assume she was a serious rider even if it was just for fun. She looked fully outfitted. With all that gear it seems hard for me to believe that putting out identifying facts about her person has been so vague, or non existent. It also makes me feel like if she was abducted, the trail of found items would include more. moo

I have negative opinions on accounts in general. They seem to immediately pop up. Many people will generously donate but it always seems to turn bad when you ask the public for money. IMO In this case, I think it’s crappy to have it still active but not provide any updates on THAT page.

I also don’t believe the account was created with ill intentions or believe it’s enough money to just live the good life on. It just not a good look.

I have negative opinions on *** accounts in general. They seem to immediately pop up. Many people will generously donate but it always seems to turn bad when you ask the public for money. IMO In this case, I think it’s crappy to have it still active but not provide any updates on THAT page.

I also don’t believe the account was created with ill intentions or believe it’s enough money to just live the good life on. It just not a good look.
I concur. I believe that the site was set up by well meaning individuals who really wanted to help in the search effort.

Is this currently whitewater season and does it end in September? (Assuming rafting).

Why would the rafting season preclude getting immersed (balled up) in considering other possible poi's/suspects?

Because the poi/suspects are busy floating down the river?

What makes Sept - March better than now?

I really don't follow. :eek:
I am not a CO resident, but our family enjoys visiting there in all seasons. We visit family and have been there for many seasons of many years.

I have observed the rivers in/near the Rocky Mountains are much more lively and deeper in the spring/summer. That's because of the run off of the mountain's melt and seasonal rainfall. The rivers and streams are much higher then and move at a much swifter speed.

In September through March, the river and stream levels are much lower and slower. Sadly corpses would be exposed as they don't travel as far in shallow slower waters.

MOO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Again, out of one AP interview that the linked DM constantly repeats portions of as filler, I still see no evidence here that the Fire Chief did not have anything good to say about BM.

We have MSM direct quotes attributed to the Fire Chief from the same AP that clearly negate this assessment.

From the quoted post snipped from OP, how is the following deemed the Fire Chief not saying anything good about BM?

Bertram also said he has never known Morphew to be dishonest.

“[Barry] and his wife are honest and friendly,” Betram said. “If Barry Morphew tells you something, you can believe it.”

Maybe you formed this opinion elsewhere but be reminded this is a factual forum where social media rumors are not allowed.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a CO resident, but our family enjoys visiting there in all seasons. We visit family and have been there for many seasons of many years.

I have observed the rivers in/near the Rocky Mountains are much more lively and deeper in the spring/summer. That's because of the run off of the mountain's melt and seasonal rainfall. The rivers and streams are much higher then and move at a much swifter speed.

In September through March, the river and stream levels are much lower and slower. Sadly corpses would be exposed as they don't travel as far in shallow slower waters.

MOO

Thank you for this information and your experience. It clearly follows how the annual snowmelt would add to the mountain rivers (e.g., a season).

However, I still don't understand OP and what this has to do with considering other poi's/suspects! I'll accept that it's simply not relevant. :)

Last edited:
I was musing over all sorts of possibilities and found this interesting article about when people just walk away from their lives. It includes some interesting statistics. When adults walk away, it's wrenching but not illegal

That is a strange article considering a week later his body was found in the river. So he may have walked away but not to leave his family but to leave the earth.

It just goes to show that when someone decides to check out, they don't always leave clues leaving the family to sift through their relationship with the deceased forever and wonder, why.

If your spouse is missing, wouldn't you be at your wit's end and calling the cops on a daily basis asking what they are doing and what you can do? Does anyone think that BM is in constant contact or has initiated any contact with police?

Somehow, I get the impression that BM is just waiting for the other shoe to drop. There's no point for him to have a public face because almost every step LE has made in terms of Suzanne's disappearance has put BM in the driver's seat of suspicion.

I also speculate whether the silence from every family member is indicative of a breakdown of family ties.

UGH-- just checking in here tonight.-- been away from Suzanne's case due to the Vallow-DAybell case but wanted to pop in to see if anything new.
Apparently, BM is still not speaking out for the public to help find his wife and LE is still being quiet except to hand out Missing person flyers.
I really thought she would be found by now and someone in custody.
Carry on all you wonderful sleuths !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member