Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you recall famed idiot Patrick Frazee, law enforcement also described him as “cooperative.”

He of course lied his *advertiser censored* off, and then lawyered up, and shut up. At the time, they knew he was lying, but that didn’t stop them from describing him that way.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar occurred here, and BM willingly turned over his phone, DNA, fingerprints, and vehicle.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if he was no longer answering questions, likely on the advise of counsel.

Things seemed to be trending that way when the sheriff threw in the line about hoping that he would continue to cooperate.

Except that at no time has LE indicated that he is no longer cooperating, including last week when the CBI indicated the family was cooperating.

As you note though, cooperating can and often does backfire for defendants.

Yet in this case we have no defendants or even a named suspect or POI.

According to CBI last week we have a missing person case and a family that is cooperating. I can only take LE at face value here and treat the family as victims of a horrible tragedy...IMO.

On June 10, 2020 Stephanie Butzer-Rose of Channel 7 indicated after her talk with the CBI that the "family is cooperating":

https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1273295451400241154

IMO family includes the spouse of the missing person.
It was tweeted June 17 not June 10.

She started a thread on May 14 and then just replies to it when she has an update. Her most recent update before this one was June 10, so I can see where you probably misread the date.jmo

Checked in with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation this morning. As of now, #SuzanneMorphew has not been located and no arrests have been made in the case. The family is cooperating. Nothing else new to report, CBI says.

Latest: bit.ly/3cPtH0i #MissingPerson
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1273295451400241154?s=21

In this case LE has consistently said that the spouse of the missing person is cooperating. IMO that means he is doing everything required of him by LE.

What evidence do we have that the spouse of the missing person is not doing things to help LE? Giving DNA, phone, car, access to other records?

And if LE has requested the family to be quiet? That would explain not reaching out to the media?

People want to assume he is not cooperating, but that contradicts what LE has said....IMO
Convicted killer of K. Berreth, Patrick Frazee, was listed as cooperative...

Lawyer: Fiance of Kelsey Berreth cooperating with law enforcement in missing woman’s case

Except that at no time has LE indicated that he is no longer cooperating, including last week when the CBI indicated the family was cooperating.

As you note though, cooperating can and often does backfire for defendants.

Yet in this case we have no defendants or even a named suspect or POI.

According to CBI last week we have a missing person case and a family that is cooperating. I can only take LE at face value here and treat the family as victims of a horrible tragedy...IMO.

If BM has stopped cooperating, it’s unlikely we would hear about it. If he is being less than cooperative, they may not want to turn up the heat. God knows we’ve seen that before.

When the words of law enforcement deviate from their actions, that’s when you know something is up. Actions speak louder than words.

In the Stauch case, Colorado authorities maintained throughout, that it was a “missing persons investigation.” They said that it wasn’t a criminal investigation, despite focused searches, and CSI activity at the family home.

I found that funny, and funnier still when Letecia was arrested for murder 5 weeks after Gannon’s disappearance.

It was a homicide investigation all along, and we weren’t fooled. Incidentally, we’re seeing the exact same behavior here.

Last edited:

She started a thread on May 14 and then just replies to it when she has an update. Her most recent update before this one was June 10, so I can see where you probably misread the date.jmo

Checked in with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation this morning. As of now, #SuzanneMorphew has not been located and no arrests have been made in the case. The family is cooperating. Nothing else new to report, CBI says.

You are right. It looks like that was from this week.

If you recall famed idiot Patrick Frazee, law enforcement also described him as “cooperative.”

He of course lied his *advertiser censored* off, and then lawyered up, and shut up. At the time, they knew he was lying, but that didn’t stop them from describing him that way.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar occurred here, and BM willingly turned over his phone, DNA, fingerprints, and vehicle.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if he was no longer answering questions, likely on the advise of counsel.

Things seemed to be trending that way when the sheriff threw in the line about hoping that he would continue to cooperate.
Yep! Bam!!

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Once again, polygraphs are an interrogation tool. It doesn’t really matter whether they work. Failure to agree to take one is in and of itself a guide to LE.

But it’s how it’s used that is valuable to LE.

Here’s a beautiful example:

Last edited by a moderator:

Also interesting is "nothing new to report."
That doesnt mean there is nothing new.

If BM has stopped cooperating, it’s unlikely we would hear about it. If he is being less than cooperative, they may not want to turn up the heat. God knows we’ve seen that before.

When the words of law enforcement deviate from their actions, that’s when you know something is up. Actions speak louder than words.

In the Stauch case, Colorado authorities maintained throughout, that it was a “missing persons investigation.” They said that it wasn’t a criminal investigation, despite focused searches, and CSI activity at the family home.

I found that funny, and funnier still when Letecia was arrested for murder 5 weeks after Gannon’s disappearance.

It was a homicide investigation all along, and we weren’t fooled. Incidentally, we’re seeing the exact same behavior here.

Or the message could be LE wants to convey to the family that they are working hard on the case and they appreciate the family's cooperation...IMO

IMO there are as many tea leaves saying LE is not investigating the spouse as there are saying they are.

We know nothing about this case. LE knows more but they might be short on evidence at this point too. LE has either confirmed or denied an alibi at this point, and any other investigation related to the spouse would branch out from the alibi, including all the phone, car GPS records and any evidence collected during the searches last month.

IMO they either have incriminating or exculpatory evidence, but at this point in the investigation they would not disclose either scenario to the public...even if an attorney was asking them to publically clear their client.

LE would not use the same tactics with the press. Sometimes people think LE would lie to or mislead the press to trick a suspect. IMO they would not lie to or mislead the press. They may word things funny or be vague, but not outright lie or mislead. They have to maintain credibility with the public.

IMO that is the case here. LE has been pretty straightforward with the press.

With all due respect, LE had Tyler Tessier sit beside Laura Wallen's parents at a press conference while she was missing, and plead for her safe return, while suspecting him all along. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...472376-b155-11e8-aed9-001309990777_story.html

Tessier committed suicide in his jail cell the morning his trial for her murder was supposed to start.

Or the message could be LE wants to convey to the family that they are working hard on the case and they appreciate the family's cooperation...IMO

IMO there are as many tea leaves saying LE is not investigating the spouse as there are saying they are.

We know nothing about this case. LE knows more but they might be short on evidence at this point too. LE has either confirmed or denied an alibi at this point, and any other investigation related to the spouse would branch out from the alibi, including all the phone, car GPS records and any evidence collected during the searches last month.

IMO they either have incriminating or exculpatory evidence, but at this point in the investigation they would not disclose either scenario to the public...even if an attorney was asking them to publically clear their client.
As for tea leaves, not touching that with a ten foot pole... As for evidence favorable to the defendant in a up coming criminal trial that exonerates or tends to exonerate the defendant of guilt....nah... I'm not holding my breath in that.

I would say, respectfully, that if one's wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend is missing, then counsel should be retained immediately precisely because of the conventional wisdom that the "significant other" is always suspected. An attorney doesn't always tell his client to not speak to police; having counsel while being interrogated can be a huge asset in making sure that one's statements are not misunderstood or intentionally twisted by investigators.

That may be true. It also has nothing to do with human nature and how innocent people act in a situation like this.

Once again, logic doesn’t matter. Risk to yourself doesn’t matter. Thinking practically doesn’t matter. In those first few days, weeks, months, you do whatever you have to.

Of course this is all academic as we don’t know if BM took a polygraph year or not. Or hired counsel or not.

We know nothing about the case, that’s absolutely true.

It all comes down to if one believes these agencies are competent. For the sake of argument, let’s just assume they are.

At no point did law enforcement handle this as an abduction. We haven’t seen daily press conferences, or even the usual descriptors.

What does that say? It says they don’t believe she was abducted.

As rare as an abduction would be in that place, with this victimology, it’s still possible. There has to be a solid reason that law enforcement does not believe that occurred.

We’ve seen an exhaustive search of BM’s work site, and a search of the residence.

So if Suzanne was not abducted on a bike ride, yet her bike was found discarded, then it was staged.

Who stages crime scenes? People close to the victim who want to divert attention from where it would otherwise go.

That’s it.

So we’re left with a homicide, committed by someone close to her. I see absolutely nothing in their actions to indicate they are investigating anyone other than her spouse.

My biggest question is when the other shoe drops.

With all due respect, LE had Tyler Tessier sit beside Laura Wallen's parents at a press conference while she was missing, and plead for her safe return, while suspecting him all along. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...472376-b155-11e8-aed9-001309990777_story.html

Tessier committed suicide in his jail cell the morning his trial for her murder was supposed to start.

The distinction is that LE was not lying to the press in that instance, but rather allowing Mr. Tessier to continue to speak, hanging himself in his own lies. There is nothing wrong with that. "Can and will be used against you..."

What if LE thought that bike ride was an invented narrative put forth by BM and the bike itself was placed at the side of the road by BM? Might LE abstain from making any comments on the bike as a way to delegitimize BM’s bike claims? As in, the bike thing isn’t authentic and therefore LE’s refusal to recognize its validity.

This makes the most sense. By the actions of LE, they seemed to quickly determine that SM's disappearance was connected to her home.

Which raises the question, who would want to stage her bike and try to lead the Investigators in an entirely wrong direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1