Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s almost as if he considered EVERY possible way that she might be killed ... there are so many options, so many legitimate ways that could be the cause of her disappearance...
Criminals seem to always believe they will get away with it because there are so many actual dangers in the world.
A Con convinces himself that no one would ever believe he would do it.
BM has made such a concerted effort to appear as if he’s the caring husband “honey do you mind if I go ahead and head to Denver?”
But for some reason he just can’t take a chance on appealing to the public for help...
As if... you look into his eyes for more than 30 seconds ... you might see the truth. MOO.

Reportedly, BM offered a bike crash, mountain lion, and abduction to explain SM's disappearance on Mother's Day to Indiana church members in an email sent the very next morning, May 11.

It was several weeks later around June 1 that BM gave the same scenario to Youtuber TD. I think if you watch enough TV you know how important it is to be consistent with your story. In this case, BM came up with 3 options and is sticking to it. It also doesn't matter if it's impossible. MOO

There's a strong possibility that Noel didn't want to get into where the daughters were living but that's not to say that we know where the spouses were residing at the time of her disappearance.
IMO
True. But since we know from the quote that whether SM had children or where she was living were two different questions, TN could have simply replied that SM lived with her family, period.

Actually I haven't missed any of it. I have a second home not far from there, have engaged with the daughters in the past, and have followed this case from the beginning.

I'm not feeling guilt or exoneration and neither is the community. They don't seem to know what to feel.
This has nothing to do with feelings; feelings aren’t facts.

I’m reading law enforcement’s behavior, and it’s clear to me they are focused on one man. I don’t think they’re wrong.

We were very lucky. And the fact of the matter is that I completely forgot about her going on this outing and created the situation. Even so, the terror you feel when you think your child is missing is not something I would wish on anyone.
With respect and empathy, a child going missing (or thought to be missing) is much, much different from a full-grown middle-age adult going missing. To compare the emotions of a parent of a (missing) minor child to the missing adult SM case is incongruous.

IMO

Last edited:
I saw that too, with assistance :cool:. Wouldn't those assets be after expenditures, though? Also, we don't know if there has been more activity since the filing and I've no idea how quickly they update.

Well, the Indiana Secretary of State's Office shows that the Suzanne R. Morphew Hope Foundation, Inc., was incorporated in 2012. The earliest Form 990 I could find was from 2015. That year's Schedule A, Part II shows that the Foundation had NO contributions during 2012, 2013, or 2014. Here's the data for the other years available:
2015...$4,680 in contributions...$4,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2016...$1,000 in contributions...$5,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2017...$1,000 in contributions...$6,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2018...$0 in contributions...$$6,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)

In other words, I can't see that the Foundation has distributed any of its money yet, and it appears that its assets total less than $7,000. It's always possible that the Foundation had a huge influx of money during 2019 and/or January to May 2020, but that would be an anomaly. I just do not think that -- if there was indeed a financial motive -- that it related to the Foundation.

True. But since we know from the quote that whether SM had children or where she was living were two different questions, TN could have simply replied that SM lived with her family, period.
Being that we're not to discuss what we've learned that isn't approved...
TN likely wouldn't have wanted to be caught being less than honest, maybe?

I like these questions and thinking about them.

I am always attracted to animal predation theories, because somehow I got into studying animal-human interactions in the wild. But, in this case, I do not think that happened. There would in fact be signs of that.

I'd add one scenario (suicide). However, it has some of the same difficulties as the animal attack theory. She would have been found by now.

SO, it's either a murder or an abduction (followed by who knows what).

Now, to question 1. It's possible LE is following a couple of theories as this unfolds. We won't hear anything about any of them. But if they suspected an abduction by a person outside the immediate area, they would surely alert the public. So far, they must not evidence of that, but instead many other leads that are local that they are still following. Since we don't know exactly what LE has done (but I believe they've made an effort to talk to nearly every adult citizen of the Salida/Maysville area), it's hard to know what they would change. As far as we know, they haven't searched any residence except the Morphew residence. Could they have found evidence that shows Suzanne had relationships outside Salida that could have something to do with the case? We wouldn't know. The FBI actually knew that Letecia Stauch had gone along a certain route leaving Colorado and field offices all along that route were alerted or otherwise involved in that case. They knew she was going to return a rental car on a certain date and were there to intercept/arrest her so as not to do it at the residence she shared with her daughter and so as to have an element of surprise and avoid any suicide or homicide attempts.

So, if there is a viable "other suspect," LE has done nothing to indicate that, they've only focused on BM, as we all know. But there could be other suspects.

2. This is just basically asking our opinion on what we think we would do if our spouse went missing and the differences that we see generally between people who end up being found guilty and those who are not. If I truly had no idea what had happened, I would certainly consider "animal attack" and would put all my resources into trackers and animal behavior experts to rule that out. If I thought it was abduction, I'd rent a billboard (as has happened in other cases of this type where the family/community has resources to do so). If local laws forbid that kind of signage, I'd have detailed posters (like the ones we often see here for missing people) with every bit of information I could get out. I'd be at his last known location searching, daily, and would organize searches myself. I would have USGS maps of the region, I would use parts of those maps to engage people in more searches.

I'd cooperate as fully as possible with LE (through an attorney, for various reasons) and I'd expect LE to give me details such as exactly where they searched, so that I could continue searching once SAR teams were done with their thing. I'd be at the actual police station daily and I would expect the head of that organization to meet with me regularly or I'd be going as wide as possible with my criticism of local police (for their failure to see me regularly, I would not expect to know everything, but I would expect regular contact). If my husband disappeared on a local bike trail, I'd personally talk to as many bicyclists as possible, hoping they'd see a clue. I would have a website devoted to what I found. I'd be here on WS asking for help. I'd be everywhere I could be, asking for help. I'd raise money for one of those smart drone searches (I probably would need to, not sure we could afford it on our own).

If he was missing for a month, I'd need to memorialize the last spot I thought he was by leaving some flowers, getting together with family at that spot, probably inviting the community to that spot after a couple of months. I think by then, if LE had turned up no evidence of foul play, I'd consider his disappearance to be a wilderness misadventure, and I would continue to ask help from locals who frequent the backcountry. But my posters would use every bit of digital data at my disposal to give possible searchers an idea of where my husband went missing and what his typical habits were. LE would not be able to stop me from doing that. Naturally, I'd give LE all the information I possibly could.

Nice post. Your thoughts are pretty close to mine. The BBM raised a question in my mind - do we know this is not occurring? MOO - Not likely.

Well, the Indiana Secretary of State's Office shows that the Suzanne R. Morphew Hope Foundation, Inc., was incorporated in 2012. The earliest Form 990 I could find was from 2015. That year's Schedule A, Part II shows that the Foundation had NO contributions during 2012, 2013, or 2014. Here's the data for the other years available:
2015...$4,680 in contributions...$4,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2016...$1,000 in contributions...$5,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2017...$1,000 in contributions...$6,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2018...$0 in contributions...$$6,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)

In other words, I can't see that the Foundation has distributed any of its money yet, and it appears that its assets total less than $7,000. It's always possible that the Foundation had a huge influx of money during 2019 and/or January to May 2020, but that would be an anomaly. I just do not think that -- if there was indeed a financial motive -- that it related to the Foundation.

I definitely wasn't challenging you. What I may question is what charities were funded. There isn't a website that I could find. I also wonder if the Foundation is Sm's or in her name only.
I hope you can follow where I'm going.
IMO

[
Basically, all I see in defense of this guy are excuses...

Yeah, maybe the FBI, CBI, and local law enforcement were fooled, and someone abducted a low risk victim, from a low risk area, and left no trace.

Maybe the husband behaved like a guilty man, and this task force excavated a property for no reason.

But maybe a spade is a spade.
This has nothing to do with feelings; feelings aren’t facts.

I’m reading law enforcement’s behavior, and it’s clear to me they are focused on one man. I don’t think they’re wrong.

I’m sensing some strong feelings.

Lately, I’ve wondered about SM’s beautiful wedding ring set, and if it will be with her when she is found.

Would LE have notified pawn shops? Or visited pawn shops? Does LE send out to pawn shops a list of items that might show up in their store?

Because, you know, an abductor (cough) might be in need of cash.

Reportedly, BM offered a bike crash, mountain lion, and abduction to explain SM's disappearance on Mother's Day to Indiana church members in an email sent the very next morning, May 11.

It was several weeks later around June 1 that BM gave the same scenario to Youtuber TD. I think if you watch enough TV you know how important it is to be consistent with your story. In this case, BM came up with 3 options and is sticking to it. It also doesn't matter if it's impossible. MOO
I was aware someone had contacted their Indiana Church with those stories, but I didn't know it was BM and I certainly didn't know it was the day after she was reported missing.

If true, that speaks volumes.

MMO

Lately, I’ve wondered about SM’s beautiful wedding ring set, and if it will be with her when she is found.

Would LE have notified pawn shops? Or visited pawn shops? Does LE send out to pawn shops a list of items that might show up in their store?

Hopefully no mountain lions recently got engaged.

Oooooh, good catch. I never thought of this. I'm sure the cops have. This is why I read here -- there are so many people I can learn from.

I’m confused by SM’s Foundation. Could she have been diagnosed with cancer, for the first time, in 2015? Perhaps she started the Foundation to donate to cancer research or to cancer survivors assistance? It’s a meager amount, no donations in the last couple of years and no distributions. Or maybe she planned to disburse after reaching a certain threshold like 10k? Head scratcher. JMO

If the pair were not living together at the time of Suzanne's disappearance and if that "conversation" about BM going to Denver actually took place, perhaps it was by phone.

If absolutely no one heard Suzanne's voice in real time for...how long? Since May 8? Earlier? Then, she really was alone. Perhaps the family made promises to come on Mother's Day, for old time's sake (sounds very familiar to me), and of course, life happened and no one showed up until 9 pm on Mother's Day.

BM makes it sound as if he talked directly to Suzanne that morning (but we don't know whether he was actually in the house - but LE does).

The pair could also be "quasi-living together," which my ex and I did for a couple of years before the ultimate disintegration of the marriage. That too will show up in phone records these days. Patterns of accessing and storing separate financial resources, the amount available to each, the people each person sees, all of that is known to LE by this time, I'd think.

All of this could exonerate BM, btw. But no good investigator is going to exonerate him this early in a case.

It makes for a complex investigation if the couple was not actually living together, or if the daughters were not in frequent contact with their parents (which happens).

I’m confused by SM’s Foundation. Could she have been diagnosed with cancer, for the first time, in 2015? Perhaps she started the Foundation to donate to cancer research or to cancer survivors assistance? It’s a meager amount, no donations in the last couple of years and no distributions. Or maybe she planned to disburse after reaching a certain threshold like 10k? Head scratcher.

Wasn't the stated purpose to "help children around the world"? With no mention of cancer at all?

The original endowment as reported in MSM and here on WS was not "meager." Anyone remember where we learned that?

The fact that there were no disbursements (only costs of running the foundation) would be consistent with some theories proposed on Threads 1-4.

Why were CBI & FBI brought in so quickly?
Many posts asked about ^ . I have
no basis for wondering if SM & BM were living in separate homes. I recall in other cases, when one of a married couple living in separate homes has gone missing, that 'living separately' stoked LE's investigation. If, a big IF, that was true, it would tend to support local LE's seeking assistance from state & federal agencies.
I doubt if WS ToS allow any further discussion. Just my 2 cts.

FBI was involved early because the states of IN and CO were both involved.

Wasn't the stated purpose to "help children around the world"? With no mention of cancer at all?

The original endowment as reported in MSM and here on WS was not "meager." Anyone remember where we learned that?

The fact that there were no disbursements (only costs of running the foundation) would be consistent with some theories proposed on Threads 1-4.
Thank you for setting me straight on this. I will go back and read the earlier threads. “Help Children Around the World” is vague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member