Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing even remotely like that. IMO
There was this reference from a relative back home. I post the quote here, but it was also on page just before this one.

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.
“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
“A February post from a social media account believed to belong to Barry Morphew said that his wife had “beat cancer twice.” The Indiana-based source said that Suzanne’s cancer had returned around the time the family was preparing to move to Colorado in 2018, and that she “was not doing well” at that time.”
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

Some sleuthers, like me, take 'Barry could be somewhat controlling' and '"He's been in charge of what happens for a long time'" as meaning that SM was, indeed, subservient to him, whether she wanted to be or not, and whether her particular conservative church taught that or not. I also think that the relative probably could have elaborated on how BM controlled everything and was, perhaps, a martinet, but chose not to go that far in deference to the immediate situation. It wouldn't surprise me if that relative was happy to enlighten the police with details later, though.

I'm posting this not because I think of BM's innocence or guilt, but in the hopes that people don't come across this behavior and automatically assume the person doing it is lying.

Yes, the shaking of the head can be seen as deceitful, but it's not a slam dunk and there are other explanations.

Shaking the head back and forth that way also indicates sadness, wistfulness, or "I can't believe this is happening" emotion.
DH's family is old school midwest in their good, honest values, graciousness, manner of speaking and includes the shaking of the head action. The first time I saw DH do it I almost laughed because I thought he was imitating what he'd seen in old movies from the 30 and 40s. Then, I met his dad and over the years, his extended family all from the same midwestern state. They're a joy and all share that similar trait of shaking their heads when talking about something sad or incredulous.

What got me though was the "glee" in describing how mountain lions drag their prey up to trees. Uhh lets not narrate it like it's a Planet Earth special. BTW I just dont see how a mountain lion is a believable theory for him to latch on to. There are no bones, no blood, and even if there are mountain lions, I imagine it's almost never that they eat people. They might attack or want to kill humans, but drag them, eat them? Especially during Spring when food is all around? It doesnt make sense

Yes. This has been posted numerous times since the beginning of the case. One place to look is the media thread since all articles published in MSM are there and updated regularly. Also, a search should uncover the instances of prior posts that contain this info about the firemen buds of BM not being allowed to join the official searches by LE.
Sheriff and Fire Chief would know one another. Sheriff feels a conflict of interest having friends of the husband search. That's a huge indicator in the direction of the investigation coupled with the extreme search of BMs job site.
But apparently, they only can't clear BM which is a drag because a "not cleared not charged" situation is likely to persist the longer it goes on.

The only hopeful thing I see is it seems to take agencies 60 days to put together the digital, electronic and pinging picture.

Last edited:
There was this reference from a relative back home. I post the quote here, but it was also on page just before this one.

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.
“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
“A February post from a social media account believed to belong to Barry Morphew said that his wife had “beat cancer twice.” The Indiana-based source said that Suzanne’s cancer had returned around the time the family was preparing to move to Colorado in 2018, and that she “was not doing well” at that time.”
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

Some sleuthers, like me, take 'Barry could be somewhat controlling' and '"He's been in charge of what happens for a long time'" as meaning that SM was, indeed, subservient to him, whether she wanted to be or not, and whether her particular conservative church taught that or not. I also think that the relative probably could have elaborated on how BM controlled everything and was, perhaps, a martinet, but chose not to go that far in deference to the immediate situation. It wouldn't surprise me if that relative was happy to enlighten the police with details later, though.
Thank you - I needed this link for the
1) Searching and FF not participating with LE
2) Morphew's relationship described (controlling, been in charge, etc as to BM)
3) the bike
post I'm compiling

What got me though was the "glee" in describing how mountain lions drag their prey up to trees. Uhh lets not narrate it like it's a Planet Earth special. BTW I just dont see how a mountain lion is a believable theory for him to latch on to. There are no bones, no blood, and even if there are mountain lions, I imagine it's almost never that they eat people. They might attack or want to kill humans, but drag them, eat them? Especially during Spring when food is all around? It doesnt make sense

It is not possible. A cat is not going to carry its prey up off the ground, it has to drag it. It rained the night of 5/10, but where the bike was found from the first viewing drag marks would be there. A dog handler on the forum indicated rain does not prevent dogs from scenting a trail.

Sheriff and Fire Cheif would know one another. Sheriff feels a conflict of interest having friends of the husband search. That's a huge indicator in the direction of the investigation coupled with the extrem search of BMs job site.
But apparently, they only can't clear BM which is a drag because a "not cleared not charged" situation is likely to persist the longer it goes on.

What I dont understand is DB is a volunteer and he's only lived there a couple years. I dont know why it would be assumed that individual firefighters have some loyalty that extend to covering up a major crime or misconstruing evidence found in a dishonest way. They are just offering to help with walking sites.

It is not possible. A cat is not going to carry its prey up off the ground, it has to drag it. It rained the night of 5/10, but where the bike was found from the first viewing drag marks would be there. A dog handler on the forum indicated rain does not prevent dogs from scenting a trail.

Maybe this has been asked and answered, but is there evidence she was alive for the bike ride time? I may have missed it. The bike ride emergency 911 call doesnt add up. I dont know a lot of cyclists, but reasonably serious hobbyist cyclist go for longer than 2 hours easy. If its just a leisurely ride, I still don't see my family freaking out to call 911 bc I'm not back in 2 hours. Maybe bc she has cancer her family keeps a closer watch bc I do get stressed when my mom goes on walks without her phone too. I wouldnt freak out out though after 2 hours without reason and get the neighbors to check and call the police. I'd probably assume that since it was mothers day she wanted some extra "me time" or something enjoying a hobby.

What I dont understand is DB is a volunteer and he's only lived there a couple years. I dont know why it would be assumed that individual firefighters have some loyalty that extend to covering up a major crime or misconstruing evidence found in a dishonest way. They are just offering to help with walking sites.
It doesn't have to be loyalty that causes other FF to be morally weak with a possible suspect in their midst -- they may just be afraid of getting their tires slashed or getting blackmailed into helping the suspect. Cops know how that works in groups, so they short-circuit a possible conflict of interest by not allowing the FF to join up. It isn't as if they had too few searchers -- there were plenty for the area search that was needed to see if SM was lying injured or dead somewhere in range. She wasn't.

I agree. He was pitching a scenario. When he stated an "article" was found, it made me wonder if maybe it was an article of clothing, perhaps one that had been conveniently shredded and bloodstained in a pathetic attempt at staging an animal attack. An attempt that LE saw straight through. Pure speculation, but something was glaringly suspicious to LE from the beginning.

Maybe it was the same thing we've seen - the nonchalant acceptance by the husband of an animal attack.

Maybe this has been asked and answered, but is there evidence she was alive for the bike ride time? I may have missed it. The bike ride emergency 911 call doesnt add up. I dont know a lot of cyclists, but reasonably serious hobbyist cyclist go for longer than 2 hours easy. If its just a leisurely ride, I still don't see my family freaking out to call 911 bc I'm not back in 2 hours. Maybe bc she has cancer her family keeps a closer watch bc I do get stressed when my mom goes on walks without her phone too. I wouldnt freak out out though after 2 hours without reason and get the neighbors to check and call the police. I'd probably assume that since it was mothers day she wanted some extra "me time" or something enjoying a hobby.
Apparently, Suzanne’s typical bike ride was something that happened on Sunday’s, in the mornings, before church.

And no, I’ve never heard anything from LE that indicated Suzanne ever took a bike ride. As far as I know, on that Mother’s Day, no one has come forward to say that they saw Suzanne ride a bike.

Last edited:
Ita.
"Glee", indeed !
And then the assertion from BM that she may have swerved from the road and somehow 'gotten into the creek..."
How would he know for sure where she went on the 'bike ride' as he wasn't there, but "returning" from his work trip ?
Unsettling to say the least; imo.

I see this as Barry called Trevor and filled him in. Whether Barry was there when the bike was found, doesn’t really matter, he knew it had been. For some reason LE didn’t want the word out, but that wouldn’t work for Barry…the bike story had to be out there to make the other scenarios possible, mountain lion, abduction, hit by a car or just plain falling off and "getting into the water" as Barry suggested.

Otherwise we have a woman who just upped and disappeared from her house. Barry was in a spot…so he used Trevor. That s why he was ‘willing” to say something and he did go farther, he challenged them to talk about the condition of the bike. I think Barry planted the seed with Trevor that LE was screwing up and he wasn’t allowed to say anything or people would think him guilty.

In the end I do think we have a woman who just upped and disappeared from her house. No bike involved. I think it may have been Friday or Saturday night, with the help of her landscaper.
BBM
Excellent post!!

Ita.
"Glee", indeed !
And then the assertion from BM that she may have swerved from the road and somehow 'gotten into the creek..."
How would he know for sure where she went on the 'bike ride' as he wasn't there, but "returning" from his work trip ?

Yeah it's not something i would do. I dont think I could finish my statement if it involved my loved one getting mauled and then eaten. I'd want to throw up and never think of that again.

BM was recruited and he fit right in. The local fire department are 80-90% volunteer with a layer of paid admin and Chief to run the department.
Sheriff Spezze knows the fire department, his judgement was, don't have BMs close associates on the search.
Apparently from the beginning the sheriff was in the main not looking for a living woman.

Apparently, Suzanne’s typical bike ride was something that happened on Sunday’s, in the mornings, before church.

And no, I’ve never heard anything from LE that indicates Suzanne ever took a bike ride. As far as I know, on that Mother’s Day, no one has come forward to say that they saw Suzanne ride a bike.

So the 430pm ish ride would be out of character? It would make more sense to panic if she was presumed to go on her normal ride and then never showed up for church. The panic at 6:30pm seems to be missing key information or it's nonsensical.

Did she make it to church that day? I'm not sure if churches were open in CO or what the orders were for the state or her preference. It also bothered me that it was even considered that a voluntary firefighter training would be scheduled on mother's day. For the lucky FF that have mothers day off, nearly all have a mom, are a wife or a mom themselves, and might have both they want to celebrate. Wives of FF are already asked to sacrifice a lot and adding mothers day would be insensitive and not conducive to promoting "family culture" within the department and at home. I know the Fire Chief said something like "not that he knows of" or essentially not part of what he would have sent him to.

Then I think he was out of town working on Mothers day? I mean I guess. I still don't know who last saw her alive or when that was. That should be easy enough information to figure out.

Yeah it's not something i would do. I dont think I could finish my statement if it involved my loved one getting mauled and then eaten. I'd want to throw up and never think of that again.
Getting mauled by an animal, any animal, is right up at the top of the list of Breathtakingly Horrible Ways To Die.

moo

Ita.
"Glee", indeed !

Re BBM and JMO
Its funny how certain things people say can rub you the wrong way and are hard to forget about.

This is one of them for me. The thing about the way that was said is people dont just end up in the water. Some action occurs before that to cause the person to end up in the water.

That statement reminded me how some people will say "the gun just went off". Well, no, someone did something to cause the gun to go off. Whether they shot it or dropped it, they did something.

I have to wonder if a freudian slip may have happened with that statement rather than simply saying she may have slipped and fell in or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zorboz