Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 430pm ish ride would be out of character? It would make more sense to panic if she was presumed to go on her normal ride and then never showed up for church. The panic at 6:30pm seems to be missing key information or it's nonsensical.

Did she make it to church that day? I'm not sure if churches were open in CO or what the orders were for the state or her preference. It also bothered me that it was even considered that a voluntary firefighter training would be scheduled on mother's day. For the lucky FF that have mothers day off, nearly all have a mom, are a wife or a mom themselves, and might have both they want to celebrate. Wives of FF are already asked to sacrifice a lot and adding mothers day would be insensitive and not conducive to promoting "family culture" within the department and at home. I know the Fire Chief said something like "not that he knows of" or essentially not part of what he would have sent him to.

Then I think he was out of town working on Mothers day? I mean I guess. I still don't know who last saw her alive or when that was. That should be easy enough information to figure out.
There wasn’t in person attendance at church because of covid. The services were being held online.

Presumably, the story anyway, Suzanne went for her usual morning bike ride and by late afternoon no one was able to get in touch with her by phone. The neighbor was then contacted by the daughters to call 911.

So the 430pm ish ride would be out of character? It would make more sense to panic if she was presumed to go on her normal ride and then never showed up for church. The panic at 6:30pm seems to be missing key information or it's nonsensical.

Did she make it to church that day? I'm not sure if churches were open in CO or what the orders were for the state or her preference. It also bothered me that it was even considered that a voluntary firefighter training would be scheduled on mother's day. For the lucky FF that have mothers day off, nearly all have a mom, are a wife or a mom themselves, and might have both they want to celebrate. Wives of FF are already asked to sacrifice a lot and adding mothers day would be insensitive and not conducive to promoting "family culture" within the department and at home. I know the Fire Chief said something like "not that he knows of" or essentially not part of what he would have sent him to.

Then I think he was out of town working on Mothers day? I mean I guess. I still don't know who last saw her alive or when that was. That should be easy enough information to figure out.

Churches were not open and the particular church that Suzanne attended had gone online weeks before. It was online that day (at 9 am, IIRC).

I'm sure LE knows something about who saw her last, although they would have to check every word out of a particular person's mouth since that person has already changed their alibi story one time.

I don't think the panic began at 6:30. I think family tried to contact Suzanne earlier on Mother's Day, tried again mid-day, became concerned, tried again late afternoon (whereupon the neighbor went to the house - which took several minutes - probably up to half an hour, get ready, walk over, look around, apparently see that the car was there, see that Suzanne was not there, glance up and down the driveway, maybe check for bike, then head back to the house to report to whoever they were talking to in the first place - seems to be the daughters).

Then the daughters confer with each other and call the neighbor back. I see that rising panic as taking about an hour, and I suspect conversations took place before the 911 call was made at 5:45 pm or thereabouts. I'm guessing a flurry of phone calls between various parties began around 4-4:30 after rising concern about missed phone calls (say...one at 11 am, another at 3 pm). If BM told everyone the same thing he's said elsewhere (that he was home on Sunday morning and asked Suzanne if he could go to Denver), and if he assured the girls that their mom was just on a bike ride in the morning, they wouldn't start to panic until the afternoon (which is what I think happened).

BM says he was in Denver. First he said he had fire training that day (and the nephew, I believe, announced that to the world). Then Fire Chief said there was no such training. So then BM says it was work related (went to Denver to prep a job site).

LE has not verified either of these stories, but the Fire Chief pretty much flattened BM's first alibi. The second is easily verified, I would think. I have a strong feeling (as I always do with second alibis) that it too is a lie.

wow just realizing we are 19 threads in and no news since June 10 from LE - tomorrow it will be 2 months since she was reported missing May 10. I certainly hope we aren't 40 threads in and a year later like with Barb Thomas who went missing last July in the desert.
JMO

Getting mauled by an animal, any animal, is right up at the top of the list of Breathtakingly Horrible Ways To Die.

moo

I guess falling asleep on an ice floe would be better, but as for me, I do think the excitement of a mountain lion attack would be so strong that it would not be as horrible (for me) as falling off an ocean liner into deep ocean and drowning or falling from the sky in a plane explosion.

I like being on Planet Earth (dry land) a great deal. I think animal attacks are pretty swift and since I read all the gory details from survivors of bear attacks, most of them really didn't feel much pain right as it was happening (although all of them said the bear's breath really stank).

Yes, I think of it as a private affair as well. It was how we were all raised. And to this day, if a person is outspoken about their faith, I find it disconcerting and tend not to trust the person at all.

I feel the same way. It has exactly the opposite affect on me from what I believe is intended. I remember an immigrant to Canada who was fascinated by the heavy handed promotion of faith of televangelicals. He would shake his head in wonder and say "God loves you, send me all your money!"

What I dont understand is DB is a volunteer and he's only lived there a couple years. I dont know why it would be assumed that individual firefighters have some loyalty that extend to covering up a major crime or misconstruing evidence found in a dishonest way. They are just offering to help with walking sites.

I agree, but tend to lean more toward firefighters being LESS likely to cover up a crime under any circumstances than other recognizable groups. The essence of being a firefighter is that one's life depends on the reliability of fellow firefighters. That is NOT blind loyalty to a friend. Anyone who has broken the trust is history.
At the same time, the area being searched by LE is a narrow valley between the Monarch Crest and Mount Shavano. The Sheriff had what he felt were enough human searchers, and in my mind the firefighters were still on call to fight fires in the start of the fire season. It stands to reason that they might be at the top of the "not needed this time" list. Neither the sheriff's office, the CBI or the FBI voiced any objection to GD and his team of primarily firefighter volunteers conducting their search while LE was searching the house IMO
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Yeah it's not something i would do. I dont think I could finish my statement if it involved my loved one getting mauled and then eaten. I'd want to throw up and never think of that again.
IMO. He seemed to be trying to impress TD with his tough outdoorsman persona. He came across as a braggart, wanting to seem tough and intimidating. I think many people have been afraid to contradict him. LE is not afraid. Moo

I agree, but tend to lean more toward firefighters being LESS likely to cover up a crime under any circumstances than other recognizable groups. The essence of being a firefighter is that one's life depends on the reliability of fellow firefighters. That is NOT blind loyalty to a friend. Anyone who has broken the trust is history.
At the same time, the area being searched by LE is a narrow valley between the Monarch Crest and Mount Shavano. The Sheriff had what he felt were enough human searchers, and in my mind the firefighters were still on call to fights fires in the start of the fire season. It stands to reason that they might be at the top of the "not needed this time" list. Neither the sheriff's office, the CBI or the FBI voiced any objection to GD and his team of primarily firefighter volunteers conducting their search while LE was searching the house IMO
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

I totally agree and thats why I dont get not wanting their help? I mean to make claims against a search party of FF potentially wont get you far at trial. Especially if they arent touching things only searching and maybe flagging.

IMO. He seemed to be trying to impress TD with his tough outdoorsman persona. He came across as a braggart, wanting to seem tough and intimidating. I think many people have been afraid to contradict him. LE is not afraid. Moo

He's not even describing him taking on a mountain lion though! Thats when you can brag about being a tough guy. He's talking about his wife getting mauled to death and then eaten. Or do you mean more trying to pretend he's so thick skinned not even discussing his wife's death by mountain lion phases him?

Btw does anyone else feel that something is off with his speech? Either a speech problem, hearing problem, brain trauma or something? He sounds delayed and his speech never got corrected as a kid or it happened as an adult?

Apparently, Suzanne’s typical bike ride was something that happened on Sunday’s, in the mornings, before church.

And no, I’ve never heard anything from LE that indicated Suzanne ever took a bike ride. As far as I know, on that Mother’s Day, no one has come forward to say that they saw Suzanne ride a bike.

I've wondered about that. I mean, you're essentially retired, you're a cancer survivor several times over (maybe) and you live in the place where you recreate. Did SM only bike on Sunday mornings? Did she prefer to bike on Sunday mornings? Was it merely her routine to bike on Sunday mornings? Was it set in stone that she biked on Sunday mornings? Would her family and friends have expected her to bike on that Sunday morning?

I'm a cyclist and during non-COVID times work full-time. So I have to bike on weekend mornings, and if my family needed to get in touch with me that's where they'd start, rain, shine, snow or cold. But if I were a Scapa of leisure and could bike whenever I wanted to then I'd pick the more pleasant times -- just as I'd pick warmer, sunny, less windy days to ski if I lived in ski paradise rather than forcing my tired, aching body and grumpy kids out into a howling blizzard because we're only here for a week every 4 years. So unless I were training for an event my routine would be a little less, well, routine.

My point is, I guess, that we seem to know very little about SM's routines, patterns, broader way of life in order to try to make sense of this aberrant moment, this hard fracture of routine and normalcy, when she disappeared. My sense is that we know so little because it doesn't matter that we know, because no one is really looking for a missing person. They're looking for evidence of a known/strongly suspected crime.

He's not even describing him taking on a mountain lion though! Thats when you can brag about being a tough guy. He's talking about his wife getting mauled to death and then eaten. Or do you mean more trying to pretend he's so thick skinned not even discussing his wife's death by mountain lion phases him?

Btw does anyone else feel that something is off with his speech? Either a speech problem, hearing problem, brain trauma or something? He sounds delayed and his speech never got corrected as a kid or it happened as an adult?
Yes, some have wondered if he has neurological issues. Pure speculation of course.

Re BBM and JMO
Its funny how certain things people say can rub you the wrong way and are hard to forget about.

This is one of them for me. The thing about the way that was said is people dont just end up in the water. Some action occurs before that to cause the person to end up in the water.

That statement reminded me how some people will say "the gun just went off". Well, no, someone did something to cause the gun to go off. Whether they shot it or dropped it, they did something.

I have to wonder if a freudian slip may have happened with that statement rather than simply saying she may have slipped and fell in or something like that.
Totally agree!!!

It should also be pointed out that TN, the man who told the Daily Mail that he was told firefighters were not needed in the search, is the crew leader of the Poncha Springs and Maysville firehouses. He was very descriptive in stating that while most of the firefighters did join the GD searches, he did not because he felt his priority still needed to be on fire alert. So.................was the exclusion (if that is what it was) directed at the whole volunteer fire department, or just the supervisor TN, just his two crews, or was it just intended to keep one firefighter away? We simply do not know, and are not going to learn the answer any time soon. IMO

MOO, his pattern of speech is being affected by his subconscious. I would say guilt. Just moo.

I meant trying to impress TD with his knowledge of what mountain lions do to their prey. The belittling of LE and doubtful bragging about his efforts as being so superior, leads me to believe that he is needing people to believe him, not them. Not least of all he made what could be regarded as a threat to TD at the end. Yes, I think he wants to be seen by others as a tough guy, a bad *ss. Moo

MOO, his pattern of speech is being affected by his subconscious. I would say guilt. Just moo.
I would agree with you here, Warwick. BM does not seem to be a deep thinker or a very introspective person; he seems to have always relied on the 'big tough guy' persona and a large, muscular physique. When he talks, everyone is supposed to jump. So, when he must talk about such things as his missing wife, his subconscious, not his intellect, affects what comes out of his mouth. JMO, of course.

"Morphew’s colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police."

"Tim Nelson, 33, said: ‘The Sheriff’s office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there."

"They can’t keep us out of the forest so that’s what some of the others have done – they set up their own little search party."

"Nelson added: ‘It’s a bad deal you know. They aren’t telling us anything. We got excluded from everything."

Makes it clear it was't directed at one man, it was directed at the whole volunteer fire department.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members