Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re BBM and JMO
Its funny how certain things people say can rub you the wrong way and are hard to forget about.

This is one of them for me. The thing about the way that was said is people dont just end up in the water. Some action occurs before that to cause the person to end up in the water.

That statement reminded me how some people will say "the gun just went off". Well, no, someone did something to cause the gun to go off. Whether they shot it or dropped it, they did something.

I have to wonder if a freudian slip may have happened with that statement rather than simply saying she may have slipped and fell in or something like that.
Yes! Like he almost was putting the blame on her for getting in the water! It did bug me too! Moo

It doesn't have to be loyalty that causes other FF to be morally weak with a possible suspect in their midst -- they may just be afraid of getting their tires slashed or getting blackmailed into helping the suspect. Cops know how that works in groups, so they short-circuit a possible conflict of interest by not allowing the FF to join up. It isn't as if they had too few searchers -- there were plenty for the area search that was needed to see if SM was lying injured or dead somewhere in range. She wasn't.

Here's an interesting study by a sociologist regarding police officers and firefighters. I don't see their psychological makeup as being morally weak. The comparison between the two professions is not a indictment of police officers, btw.

Want to reform America's police? Look to firefighters

I've wondered about that. I mean, you're essentially retired, you're a cancer survivor several times over (maybe) and you live in the place where you recreate. Did SM only bike on Sunday mornings? Did she prefer to bike on Sunday mornings? Was it merely her routine to bike on Sunday mornings? Was it set in stone that she biked on Sunday mornings? Would her family and friends have expected her to bike on that Sunday morning?

I'm a cyclist and during non-COVID times work full-time. So I have to bike on weekend mornings, and if my family needed to get in touch with me that's where they'd start, rain, shine, snow or cold. But if I were a Scapa of leisure and could bike whenever I wanted to then I'd pick the more pleasant times -- just as I'd pick warmer, sunny, less windy days to ski if I lived in ski paradise rather than forcing my tired, aching body and grumpy kids out into a howling blizzard because we're only here for a week every 4 years. So unless I were training for an event my routine would be a little less, well, routine.

My point is, I guess, that we seem to know very little about SM's routines, patterns, broader way of life in order to try to make sense of this aberrant moment, this hard fracture of routine and normalcy, when she disappeared. My sense is that we know so little because it doesn't matter that we know, because no one is really looking for a missing person. They're looking for evidence of a known/strongly suspected crime.
The Fire Chief once commented in MSM about Suzanne’s Sunday morning bike riding habit. We don’t know if he personally has knowledge of Suzanne’s bike habits, or if he knows this only because BM told him.

You’re right, we have very little information about Suzanne.

Last edited:
"Morphew’s colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police."

"Tim Nelson, 33, said: ‘The Sheriff’s office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there."

"They can’t keep us out of the forest so that’s what some of the others have done – they set up their own little search party."

"Nelson added: ‘It’s a bad deal you know. They aren’t telling us anything. We got excluded from everything."

Makes it clear it is not just one man excluded, but all the firefighters.

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

We discussed this at length at the time (as I'm sure you remember).
It makes perfect sense to me, especially with all the assistance they already had.
But more importantly, since they hadn't yet ruled BM out as a potential suspect, there's no way any kind of responsible investigation would include the very firehouse/firefighters associated with what could have been, their #1 suspect (even though that language never reached MSM, it seems pretty obvious).

jmo

What I dont understand is DB is a volunteer and he's only lived there a couple years. I dont know why it would be assumed that individual firefighters have some loyalty that extend to covering up a major crime or misconstruing evidence found in a dishonest way. They are just offering to help with walking sites.
I've never for a second thought that the firefighters would have covered up anything. I've always thought they weren't included in order to stop the flow of information back to BM.

IMO. He seemed to be trying to impress TD with his tough outdoorsman persona. He came across as a braggart, wanting to seem tough and intimidating. I think many people have been afraid to contradict him. LE is not afraid. Moo
That could well be, re his being the tough guy, as I believe that's his persona anyway. However, I've never seen anything like his detached attitude, when talking about a spouse.
When I watched that video, I literally gasped so loud that my husband stopped what he was doing to see if I was okay.
He came into the room to see me agape, eyes bugging in shock. I showed him that portion of TD's video and he was just as gobsmacked.
I'd already showed him BM's 'infomercial' and he nodded and said that he may very well be guilty of murdering his wife.
This was coming from someone totally disinterested in true crime of any kind.
Just thought I'd throw that in there.

ETA: I highly doubt that the Firefighters would've hidden anything from LE.
In fact, I'd suggest that if BM did take them somewhere to search, it would've been nowhere near where she could be found - if he's in fact, guilty.
IMO, JMO

Last edited:
What is the significance of the stay at home orders from CO Gov Polis and closed campgrounds in Chaffee County & dates of March 18 thru April 26th in regards to the SM case?

The link describes that in mid-March, lodges were closed and visitors (non- residents per Governor's legal definition) were ordered to leave the county immediately. Visitors, outsiders were not welcome.

So after six weeks of outsider lockout, restrictions lifted and a local resident vanishes 10 days later? Let's put on our big picture glasses here -- there's room for both a stranger or outsider working for BM to disappear SM. On May 10, there were still minimal places for an outsider to even be seen and/or noticed i.e., take out only, closed bars, hotels. Not counting Walmart.

“Visitors to Chaffee County are directed to return home immediately and persons considering visiting Chaffee County should remain home,” Andrea Carlstrom, director of Chaffee County Public and Environmental Health said March 18.

Last edited:
I believe it took BM a week to even perform for the camera to plead for his wife's return. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Who does that, if he believes that his wife was abducted, kidnapped or other very descriptive demise had come to her????
IMO, JMO

I am not. I know someone on this board is local. I’ve been in the heart of this pandemic and really have been home since the second week of March. I have to keep remembering that other parts of the country were in different stages when SM went missing. The camping trip is an example. I saw photos online from the Salida area, taken on Mother’s Day, and people were rafting. Remember the car ride videos from the area-so many people were out and about walking, biking. While Sunday church may have been virtual, there was still a lot going on.
^^BBM

This is an excellent point @DizzyB just comparing my area to Chaffee County, Colorado.

And more specific to this case, outdoor activities in Chaffee County were seemingly opening up (including outsiders) around May 1 while Idaho reportedly still locked down and non-essential visitors not welcome until May 30.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting study by a sociologist regarding police officers and firefighters. I don't see their psychological makeup as being morally weak. The comparison between the two professions is not a indictment of police officers, btw.

Want to reform America's police? Look to firefighters
Oh, I hope that I didn't sound like FF in particular were weak -- I don't think that -- but what IS known is that the pressure of being in an elite group often produces groupthink, and an unwillingness to go against the group. That goes for ALL groups, not just FF.

Last edited:
View attachment 255028
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1281329930673033216?s=21
ETA:
“The FBI has confirmed that they are doing a ‘operation activity’ today in Maysville in regards to the #MissingPerson case of #suzannemorphew I am also putting an article together today about the case thus far. It will be on @FOX21News #FindSuzanne
2:50 PM · Jul 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
(local/MDT)
WHAAAT. Oh, please tell me they've found her. Or are close to finding her.

BM says he was in Denver. First he said he had fire training that day (and the nephew, I believe, announced that to the world). Then Fire Chief said there was no such training. So then BM says it was work related (went to Denver to prep a job site).
^^SBM

Not true as I've previously traced the origin of this fire training story:

From the beginning, the family provided that BM was in Denver, period,when SM went missing.

When asked directly by local media, TN refused to provide any additional information.

It was only after the DM reported that BM was attending firefighter training in Denver (citing unnamed relative) that local reporter (and Crimeonline) contacted the Fire Chief to confirm training scheduled in Denver. He responded sanctioned training suspended during COVID19. If not for the DM story, I doubt we'd even know the name of the Fire Chief.

Out of BM's own mouth, he confirmed he was working on a job in Denver when SM disappeared (YT blogger interview). That pretty much put an end to the firefighter training story on Mother's Day-- except for any media that copied DM's erroneous story, and those still running it.

MOO

Last edited:
Last edited:
View attachment 255028
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1281329930673033216?s=21
ETA:
“The FBI has confirmed that they are doing a ‘operation activity’ today in Maysville in regards to the #MissingPerson case of #suzannemorphew I am also putting an article together today about the case thus far. It will be on @FOX21News #FindSuzanne
2:50 PM · Jul 9, 2020 (local/MDT)

To those more familiar with Law Enforcement terminology than I, what does "operation activity" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee