Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO but it doesn’t seem that odd to me. The buddy hunts, they have a house outside Salida, might have a “come stay any time” sort of attitude toward friends. My friends in beach and mountain areas open those invitations, but don’t rearrange their work schedule for visitors. Dinner together is typically expected. Pre-pandemic, of course.

It’s weirder to me that the guy decided not to go hunting and hang out with SM.

MOO

But if they have known each other since middle school and if their families were friends, it might not be that weird. Weather could have been miserable and he didn't want to be out in it.

Also, some hunting is done around dawn and dusk so BM could have worked during the hours between.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but where else should BM be searching?
What else should he be doing?
Do people assume all those 100+ professionals overlooked something somewhere or do people think that none of the professionals involved are doing their jobs?

At what point is someone allowed to not do what random strangers think he should be doing and get on with the reality of trying to provide a somewhat normal existence for his children? If people thought he was innocent, would they still be so judgmental because his actions don't match their expectations?

LS acknowledged in the live last night that she had been given some information off the record. So, she knows more than we do and more than she's allowed to broadcast or publish and I don't have any problem with that.

And can you imagine if BM were out searching and found something relevant how that would go over? Proverbial damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall listening to the LE interviews of SM's 2 step-siblings in Michigan, 2 siblings in Indiana and 1 sister in TN. Do they know BM? Did they like BM? Did they worry about SM being married to BM? Have any of them gone to CO to help search for SM?
Those of you who have made positive comments about LE closing in on the perp are good medicine for my heart. Suzanne deserves justice...now!
MOO
A relative of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew says Suzanne’s family members have very little information to go on, as investigators concluded a three-day search of a residential property not far from Suzanne’s Maysville home on Sunday without finding any evidence connected to the case.

“Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time. Details about the search are not available, as this is part of the active investigation,” the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office said in a news release on Sunday, two weeks after Suzanne’s neighbor reported her missing.

The relative said that some of Suzanne’s family members, including at least one of Suzanne’s siblings and Barry Morphew’s mother — who Suzanne is reportedly close to — traveled to the area after Suzanne was reported missing. Suzanne’s own mother died of cancer years ago, and her father is believed to be living in Michigan. The relative did not know where Suzanne’s two daughters were staying, as police have taken possession of the Morphew’s home as part of the ongoing investigation.

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

Wow. "Later than originally thought." Which could mean she was seen after BM allegedly left town for Denver? Except we don't know what they originally thought.
I think we do know what LE originally thought.

Speeze asked residents to preserve their security footage for the period May 8th-May 12th. That request was made on May 18th, very early on in the investigation.
I think we will eventually learn Suzanne was last seen on Saturday, May 9th, JMO.

What is SUZANNE like? Does she love to bake? Is she a bookaholic? What does SUZANNE do to rest and recharge? What special activities does she do with her daughters? Her siblings? (Who I guess are satisfied with just keeping SUZANNE in their thoughts everyday.)

It's been said that Suzanne was a sweet and nice person, who has taught school before, we know she had cancer and was treated for 2 bouts of it, we know she enjoyed mountain bike riding.

Why does the public need to know more? For what purpose, exactly? IMO this is about curiosity.

It would be nice if the friends and family of SM (not counting BM) would be respected for maintaining their intended silence and privacy. They're already going through the worst a family can, and people want them in the media spotlight. And to judge the daughters, one a minor, for not making statements or doing interviews is wholly unfair.

The more I see expectations and even criticisms for SM's family & friends to get themselves in the media, the more I hope they hold firm and maintain their privacy. LE is on this, and they know that.

IMO

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but where else should BM be searching?
What else should he be doing?
RSBM
As to many of us feeling BM may be their suspect, we all know the odds of when something like this happens, it usually ends being the spouse, that aside…

I don’t have enough experience in these matters to make a good guess right off the bat but the biggest problem for me from the get-go is LE never acknowledging the bike on any level and that problem was there from day one.

There is a reason for the lack of information and IMO, It’s because the bike has nothing to do with what happened to Suzanne.

IOW… LE won’t acknowledge the bike and BM won’t let it go, it’s “all about the bike” Obviously, something’s not right.

As to the rest of Barry’s behavior, it didn’t sit well with me right from the beginning…. “too soon” What??? The love of your life is missing, mother of your children, devoted wife of almost 30 years and you can’t do anything, it’s too soon?
Honestly...if that were my husbands comment "Too soon" and I was being held against my will and heard that reaction...I'd feel crushed and abandoned.

MOO

It's been said that Suzanne was a sweet and nice person, who has taught school before, we know she had cancer and was treated for 2 bouts of it, we know she enjoyed mountain bike riding.

Why does the public need to know more? For what purpose, exactly? IMO this is about curiosity.

It would be nice if the friends and family of SM (not counting BM) would be respected for maintaining their intended silence and privacy. They're already going through the worst a family can, and people want them in the media spotlight. And to judge the daughters, one a minor, for not making statements or doing interviews is wholly unfair.

The more I see expectations and even criticisms for SM's family & friends to get themselves in the media, the more I hope they hold firm and maintain their privacy. LE is on this, and they know that.

IMO

I don't think anyone here is disrespecting the family and friends of SM or judging the daughters, for not speaking to the media.
I do think it's a natural curiosity as to why they haven't been, since it's such a common thing in most missing persons cases.
If as has been stated, they've been asked not to speak to the media, then so be it.

RSBM
As to many of us feeling BM may be their suspect, we all know the odds of when something like this happens, it usually ends being the spouse, that aside…

I don’t have enough experience in these matters to make a good guess right off the bat but the biggest problem for me from the get-go is LE never acknowledging the bike on any level and that problem was there from day one.

There is a reason for the lack of information and IMO, It’s because the bike has nothing to do with what happened to Suzanne.

IOW… LE won’t acknowledge the bike and BM won’t let it go, it’s “all about the bike” Obviously, something’s not right.

As to the rest of Barry’s behavior, it didn’t sit well with me right from the beginning…. “too soon” What??? The love of your life is missing, mother of your children, devoted wife of almost 30 years and you can’t do anything, it’s too soon?
Honestly...if that were my husbands comment "Too soon" and I was being held against my will and heard that reaction...I'd feel crushed and abandoned.

MOO
Yes, the bike, the bike. Me thinks he protests too much. If LE knows that the bike has nothing to do with Suzanne's disappearance, then he would be lying. Moo

Perp's (Hypo) Lies & No-Body Case?
It will be interesting to see how many lies, if any, BM has told LE. And if BM ever goes to trial, with no body, are proven lies enough for a jury to sink him?
@Minordetails :) For first degree murder, CO. statute requires the state to present sufficient evidence to persuade jury/judge to believe the accused is Guilty-BARD:
"... after deliberation and with the intent to cause the death of another person, he or she causes the death of that person or of another person..." So the state must put on evd of ea element:
1. the accused deliberated about his actions,
2. the accused intended to cause death of another person
3. the accused's actions caused the death. ("With-body case" usu med. examiner testifies re CoD)
4. the other person died. (Again,"with-body case" usu med. examiner testifies victim is dead.)

Speaking hypothetically only, not referring to the M case, the state can show 1 perp deliberation & 2 intent to cause death, thru conversations w others, e-trails, texts, soc media, emails, journal, recorded phone calls, etc., e.g., stating ~ 'When event X happens, I'll kill her, so my problems will be over' or after the fact confession: 'I killed her [by this method].' Granted, m
ore subtly than that, but for either a with-body or no-body case, may be sufficient for a jury to believe elements 1 & 2.
In no-body case, 3 & 4 are likely the weakest evidentiary elements the state presents, if no evd from med examiner who saw victim dead (<---4) & performed autopsy & found vid's CoD (<--3).
Jury may/may not be persuaded, perhaps thinking 'Yeah, gone for X years, but do we know defendant killed her (<-- 3) or if she's even actually dead (<--4)?'

A perp's lies, if relevant to one or more ^ elements and proven, in a hypo no-body case? May help establish one or more of ^ elements but standing alone not sufficient to estab first degree murder, G-BARD.
As always, inviting comment, clarification, or correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals. just my 2 cts.
................................................................................................................................................
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/14 FEL1.pdf
C.R.S. 18-3-102. "1. Murder in the first degree. A person commits the class 1 felony of murder in the first degree if: 18-3-102 a) after deliberation and with the intent to cause the death of another person, he or she causes the death of that person or of another person; or 18-3-102 (1) (a)...."

Last edited:
When SM was last seen or spoken to is the one thing that LE has been willing to comment on publicly in these Lauren Scharf interviews. No, they don’t answer the question. But they also don’t give a pat “part of the investigation” answer.

First, they told her they were seeking tips to see if she was seen/spoken to later than believed.

Now, they say that she was seen/spoken to later than first believed.

I believe there is reason they choose to comment on this to a journalist, not once but twice.

I’m not sure it means she was last seen on Mother’s Day. Maybe. But I’m pretty sure it means they are getting closer to finding her and they want someone to know that.

MOO
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, I’m a few pages behind. It’s also conceivable that LE may have found evidence that BM was with her — or in communication with her — AFTER the last time he claims to have been. After having “gone to Denver to set up a job”, for example. Of course, it may also just be that they did get security video footage of her — with or without a bike — from the community call they put out. Or something...

As always, all of the above is MOO.

Wow. "Later than originally thought." Which could mean she was seen after BM allegedly left town for Denver? Except we don't know what they originally thought.
Outside of having Suzanne appear unharmed, my greatest wish would be that she was seen alive after BM left for Denver. Her daughters wouldn't lose everything they cherish.

Lauren Scharf’s comments from last night.

Do I remember correctly, did she say that LE has not asked for any of the security camera footage that they had originally asked the residents to preserve? Why do you think LE has not asked for it?
She said that LE would not answer her if they have collected footage....they said it was "part of the investigation"

IMO
I do feel that her family is doing what has been asked of them by LE. The fact that they came out and publicly thanked LE for their tremendous effort in finding Suzanne said a lot to me.

Also just wanted to say that I have really not posted much but have read every inch of this thread. I am a mother who is 49 (same age as SM) and originally from Indy so I just am coming from a place of the best intentions and I want her to be found that is all.

I do feel that her family is doing what has been asked of them by LE. The fact that they came out and publicly thanked LE for their tremendous effort in finding Suzanne said a lot to me.
IMO they trust LE, they trust the effort, and they know what's at stake. LE will solve this case, if it can be solved.

Last edited:
My opinion is influenced by the Elizabeth Smart case, but if BM believes that someone abducted her, I think he should be speaking publicly about that and keeping her face on the news nationwide. I’d think he’d want to see images of her released with a face mask on, as she might appear in public. I remember that ES’s abductor brought her into town with a face covering, which was odd for the time, but would be expected theses days.

MOO
You’ve made a very good observation. I’ve been wondering about our possible abductor. Put a baseball cap, sunglasses, and mask on, you are invisible.
IMO, Suzanne would not be as manageable as someone as young as Elizabeth Smart, so she is hopefully restrained somewhere.
Her abductor could move freely around as needed.
We’ve used our bandanas as masks sometimes, everyone look like bank robbers then. I’ve tried every option of masks, finally found one I can almost be comfortable with.
Now is the perfect time to be a criminal.IMO
They may not have px of her in mask, so I guess we just cover her face, I don’t think we are looking for her from any of the px, they are to keep her in the public memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSP MORSE