Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’ve made a very good observation. I’ve been wondering about our possible abductor. Put a baseball cap, sunglasses, and mask on, you are invisible.
IMO, Suzanne would not be as manageable as someone as young as Elizabeth Smart, so she is hopefully restrained somewhere.
Her abductor could move freely around as needed.
We’ve used our bandanas as masks sometimes, everyone look like bank robbers then. I’ve tried every option of masks, finally found one I can almost be comfortable with.
Now is the perfect time to be a criminal.IMO
They may not have px of her in mask, so I guess we just cover her face, I don’t think we are looking for her from any of the px, they are to keep her in the public memory.
It would be wonderful if this were to be true. Moo

A relative of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew says Suzanne’s family members have very little information to go on, asinvestigators concluded a three-day search of a residential property not far from Suzanne’s Maysville home on Sunday without finding any evidence connected to the case.

“Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time. Details about the search are not available, as this is part of the active investigation,” the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office said in a news release on Sunday, two weeks after Suzanne’s neighbor reported her missing.

The relative said that some of Suzanne’s family members, including at least one of Suzanne’s siblings and Barry Morphew’s mother — who Suzanne is reportedly close to — traveled to the area after Suzanne was reported missing. Suzanne’s own mother died of cancer years ago, and her father is believed to be living in Michigan. The relative did not know where Suzanne’s two daughters were staying, as police have taken possession of the Morphew’s home as part of the ongoing investigation.

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
BMM
A residential property not far from SM's home? So the search on Sunday was not at their home or property?

In the interview it was said Skinner came to Salida once, went with BM on another hunt to Montana. So not a frequent visitor. Maybe I'm dissecting a grain of sand, but it just feels odd.
It is odd.

And, this is a person who has said he spent the day with Suzanne. Yet, what do we learn about her? The same: She had cancer, and she goes on bike rides.

Absolutely no deviation from the theme.

Older story date ..but I hadn't noticed/or remembered that or seeing that info posted before. It is interesting. Surely it was discussed and I just missed it.
That was an early story, the cops had the road blocked off so the reporter did not definitely know the search was at the Morphew home. Later the Daily Mail blew the lid off with their pictures of the home search, so everyone knew where the search was taking place.

I actually linked the story for the comment from Suzanne's relative ... "He's been in charge of what happens for a long time".

My boss is a big hunter. His house looks like the Morphew's. His friends come and go all year long. Some more than others. It is not uncommon for people to be staying in the house when he is not around. The Morphew home looks to be very large. She was probably used to the comings and goings of Barry's friends. I don't find it odd at all.

It isn't my cup of tea, but I know it happens a lot.

It's not that big. 3BR, 4 baths, 3500 sf. The size of many a condo. Obviously, came with many interesting interior features (including at least one taxidermied head).

Suzanne was only one year out from cancer treatment. There was a CoVid lockdown - non-essential travel was not allowed. I suspect that even the daughters were spending less time at the home, to keep Suzanne safe.

Friends coming and going? Unlikely. Not even hunting season, IMO.

Anyway, the 3 bedrooms were all near each other and I can't imagine a "private person" like BM having friends "come and go," especially when he wasn't there himself and I can't imagine Suzanne attending church virtually and then making the huge mistake of having guests come and go. From Indiana or anywhere else.

But if they have known each other since middle school and if their families were friends, it might not be that weird. Weather could have been miserable and he didn't want to be out in it.

Also, some hunting is done around dawn and dusk so BM could have worked during the hours between.

But 'twas not hunting season, not by bow nor by rifle.

Unless you can find something other than the CO Wildlife page. That's what I found. I already knew hunting season is in the fall (because killing game while they have babies and juveniles is not part of game management in Colorado).

If you're speaking of May 8-12, it was warm and sunny, except for passing clouds and drizzle around 9-10 am on Monday morning. 1/10th of an inch.

Yes, the bike, the bike. Me thinks he protests too much. If LE knows that the bike has nothing to do with Suzanne's disappearance, then he would be lying. Moo

Ok, to all of this^^^^^^ !!!! The gosh darn flipping bike!!!!!!! I finally said it! I hate this bike and I don’t even know it.

It’s everywhere and nowhere. BM isn’t the only one hanging onto it for dear life, it’s still the headline of pretty much every article, post, media source and SM reference about. “Mom missing after bike ride, she didn’t return from bike ride, bike found, bike this, bike that......” It is still currently the description title here where we discuss!

The bike looms larger than life everywhere, ad nauseam, EXCEPT with LE it appears.

Therefore we can deduce____________?

Anyone....Anyone....???? ;)

ETA: shoot this didn’t include all the quotes I had intended and I can’t see where to edit them in! :mad:

Last edited:
MOO..IF BM is guilty of SM's disappearance, his daughters may very well be afraid of him and worried for their own safety...with good reason.

Absolutely true! But, would they be staying with him? If they're staying with him; LS said she was told by TS that they were all together, but who knows for sure. Speaking for myself, even at that age, if I was scared that my Dad may have murdered my Mom, I wouldn't be living with him. I would ask for help from LE or any relative that could help me not live there. That would freak me out. It freaks me out to think of that possibility now. Does anybody know if authorities would warn older children that their Dad is a suspect?

Who really knows where BM is staying, and who is staying with him. Think of all of the things that BM has said-how many tours for his Ranger buddy, how many miles did they cover in searches with “his” guys... TS is not spending time with BM. He is listening to what BM has to say and then taking his word as gospel and speaking out defending his friend.

Absolutely true! But, would they be staying with him? If they're staying with him; LS said she was told by TS that they were all together, but who knows for sure. Speaking for myself, even at that age, if I was scared that my Dad may have murdered my Mom, I wouldn't be living with him. I would ask for help from LE or any relative that could help me not live there. That would freak me out. It freaks me out to think of that possibility now. Does anybody know if authorities would warn older children that their Dad is a suspect?

Great points FelicityLemon!

Maybe they are acting as if they support him yet have serious suspicions. You know that feeling when you do not want to believe what your gut is telling you...especially your own father. They could also be in denial because they do not want to go there in their minds..

Interesting side note from Lauren's live session.

Skinner was in Salida for the hunt in October 2019. One day he stayed back from the hunt, Barry was at work. He spent time with Suzanne, that's when he had the bike convo with her. Means nothing really, just a bit curious he stayed home that day.

Also worth noting- Suzanne had her last treatment and was declared cancer free just before Skinner arrived for the hunt.

bbm
Oh! Thank you to Knox for this!
I'm bumping this/bringing it forward to answer my own question that other people have, too.

Well now they should be issuing a "last seen," it is important information in case she is alive.
I wonder that, too. If LE has, say, a Thursday sighting as the most recent that be worth revealing. Someone nearby reading the line, "did not return from Mother's Day bike ride", and this person might dismiss a sighting of, for example, Friday or Saturday in Gunnison or Buena Vista, thinking it unimportant. Especially, since LE has not come out and cast doubt on the bike ride story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CWM227