Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Home Sale. Deferral or Exclusion of Gain? Part II.
Of course we at WS have no idea of the income and tax situation of SM and BM. The 1031 is for someone active in the real estate business to flip time to pay capital games into the future by acquiring a new asset when selling another. The one time sale of a principal residence is a one time exclusion and the Morphews are probably too young take that tax exclusion now. But who knows?
@BuySellTrade :) About the M's income & tax situation, you are absolutely, positively right: I/we have no idea about what their numbers are.
I vaguely recall from 25+? yrs ago, something about a one-time only exclusion of capital gains for home sale and being connected w typical retirement age, but ---- in re-reading your posts re 1031, and wiki link, I found nothing relating to one-time or age restrictions. Also in reviewing several irs.gov & other links included in my post, I saw nothing on those two points, but I certainly coulda missed it.
Altho it may be irrelevant to actions/motives of any ppl directly involved in case, I don't want spread inaccurate info on 1031 exchanges. Can you find link w quote re one-time or age restrictions as currently applicable to Sec. 1031 like-kind exchanges? Thx in adv.

As always, I welcome comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our professionals in r/est, tax, or law.
{ETA: Just 'read back' and caught your post - deferring to @lamlawindy, so no need to look for a link.}

Last edited:
Home Sale. Deferral or Exclusion of Gain? Part II.
@BuySellTrade :) About the M's income & tax situation, you are absolutely, positively right: I/we have no idea about what their numbers are.
I vaguely recall from 25+? yrs ago, something about a one-time only exclusion of capital gains for home sale and being connected w typical retirement age, but ---- in re-reading your posts re 1031, and wiki link, I found nothing relating to one-time or age restrictions. Also in reviewing several irs.gov & other links included in my post, I saw nothing on those two points, but I certainly coulda missed it.
Altho it may be irrelevant to actions/motives of any ppl directly involved in case, I don't want spread inaccurate info on 1031 exchanges. Can you find link w quote re one-time or age restrictions as currently applicable to Sec. 1031 like-kind exchanges? Thx in adv.

As always, I welcome comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our professionals in r/est, tax, or law.
Think I posted already but what I posted about the 1031 exchange is 20 years out of date and I am far from a professional anything at present but saw 1031s used by clients and for my own accounts in 1980s and 1990s. Pretty sure the sale of home was a one time exclusion at the time. So I am off as far as the current specifics, hunkered down in home I've been hunkered down in since 2003 and having sold all other real estate one owned.
Bu the overlap of buy and sale by BM could possibly be for 1031. Probably means nothing but could be reason transactions not quite so nefarious.

A source told the Daily Mail earlier this week that Suzanne’s daughters had become concerned that they could not reach their mother that weekend, and asked a neighbor to check on her.

That strikes me as trying more than just Sunday while driving home. Possible they were trying from Friday evening on ..who knows?

‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew
What did the girls think, when they weren't able to reach to their mum since Friday, but BM claimed, he spoke to mum on Sunday (like he told LE) before he started to where ever? What did BM tell the girls on Friday/Saturday or did he intentionally avoid a phone call with his daughters?

Something has been percolating in the back of my mind, and it finally worked it’s way to the front. :) In my opinion, the Ms just don’t fit the profile for a spousal homicide scenario. Between their ages, station in life, lack of a history of abuse and the length of their marriage (27 years), I think it would be highly unusual for the relationship to end in murder. They would have weathered a lot of storms over those years and would have the maturity and perspective to figure another way out. The overwhelming majority of murder cases that I have followed: Longo, Hacking, Stuart, Watts, Frazee, Entwistle, S. Peterson, Tokars, Dulos, etc. were mostly committed by men younger than BM and who had been married a much shorter time. Dulos was BM’s same age, but was married just 16 years. Of course, there are spousal murders that occur at all stages (from the honeymoon til the bitter end), but it’s much less common in the Ms situation. This is one of the many things that doesn’t add up for me. MOO

Last edited:
I definitely agree with Oldcop’s post about that. I have no doubt he eventually contacted some of his ff crew.

I was just wondering why he didn’t contact them initially, before making the neighbor call 911. IMO, his first responder buddies would have been a much better choice in assessing the seriousness of the situation. To each his own, I suppose. MOO

I never thought about that. Maybe he did call them while the neighbor called 911.

Something has been percolating in the back of my mind, and it finally worked it’s way to the front. :) In my opinion, the Ms just don’t fit the profile for a spousal homicide scenario. Between their ages, station in life, lack of a history of abuse and the length of their marriage (27 years), I think it would be highly unusual for the relationship to end in murder. They would have weathered a lot of storms over those years and would have the maturity and perspective to figure another way out. The overwhelming majority of murder cases that I have followed, Longo, Hacking, Stuart, Watts, Frazee, Entwistle, S. Peterson, Tokars, Dulos, etc. were mostly committed by men younger than Barry and who had been married a much shorter time. Dulos was BM’s same age, but was married just 16 years. Of course, there are spousal murders that occur at all stages (from the honeymoon til the bitter end), but it’s much less common in the Ms situation. This is one of the many things that doesn’t add up for me. MOO
You’re right, which is why I’m leaning towards a crime of passion. Some major event that had never happened before, led to a rage killing.

We don’t know what stressors there were, or what could have motivated such an event.

The FBI knows this, yet they were digging at Barry’s work site. No known history of marital strife, or domestic violence.

You hear about the circumstances, and on the surface, it seems to be perhaps a crime of opportunity.

It’s readily apparent that law enforcement doesn’t think so however.

Something has been percolating in the back of my mind, and it finally worked it’s way to the front. :) In my opinion, the Ms just don’t fit the profile for a spousal homicide scenario. Between their ages, station in life, lack of a history of abuse and the length of their marriage (27 years), I think it would be highly unusual for the relationship to end in murder. They would have weathered a lot of storms over those years and would have the maturity and perspective to figure another way out. The overwhelming majority of murder cases that I have followed, Longo, Hacking, Stuart, Watts, Frazee, Entwistle, S. Peterson, Tokars, Dulos, etc. were mostly committed by men younger than Barry and who had been married a much shorter time. Dulos was BM’s same age, but was married just 16 years. Of course, there are spousal murders that occur at all stages (from the honeymoon til the bitter end), but it’s much less common in the Ms situation. This is one of the many things that doesn’t add up for me. MOO

My thoughts run pretty heavy on this. I know I am a new poster but they seem like they have there stuff together and pretty happy folks. Can anyone confirm that the company is a family run venture? I ask because if so I would think the M's would be communicating very frequently, and more so if she handled some scheduling. I mention this because they have probably dealt with some serious issues, so, IMO, they both know how to work things out and NOT let it hit a certain boiling point, if y'all know what I mean.

Do you know if it is possible to investigate or research the employees they had and see if any were fire fighters that maybe worked with him, or better, part time workers? I used to hire some FF's in the landscaping industry. They have a weird schedule, like 3 on/4 off or 4 on/3 off, these guys were full time FF, not volunteer tho. Does the fire department he volunteers at have any full time people? A landscaper in the Spring, or anytime really, will take any part time help. A firefighter is someone a little more trusting and helpful in finishing up or taking care of small jobs. I would think the part time person (if it is a family run business) would be well acquainted with SM. I could see myself giving odd jobs to them and many jobs that would be at the house, or interacting with SM. Kind of like, hey SM has been wanting these flowers planted back by the deck, I haven't had time, go ahead and get with her and get that done please. Or, can you run by the office, grab some work orders and take them to the guys with this equipment. Possibly something to think about or look into. Just a weird late night crazy thought.....

I have been waiting since 13 Aug 1981 for my uncle's murder to be solved. Sometimes LE doesn't share any information because they don't have any.

They executed another search of Barry’s house last week. From day one, they shared nothing.

In a million years, I don’t believe they would do that if they didn’t know this was not an abduction. Otherwise we’d have a description, and some sort of a timeline.

Multiple agencies to include the big guns of the CBI and FBI. And many hundreds of tips to follow up on.

I would bet my life on them not only having information, but having a great deal of it.

If they start holding press conferences and sharing information, then I’ll be very worried.

Last edited:
You’re right, which is why I’m leaning towards a crime of passion. Some major event that had never happened before, led to a rage killing.

We don’t know what stressors there were, or what could have motivated such an event.

The FBI knows this, yet they were digging at Barry’s work site. No known history of marital strife, or domestic violence.

You hear about the circumstances, and on the surface, it seems to be perhaps a crime of opportunity.

It’s readily apparent that law enforcement doesn’t think so however.

I agree that if BM is responsible, it probably would have been a crime of passion. How tragic. Still it’s hard to imagine being suddenly so violent to someone you have nursed/supported through recent serious illnesses. Another thing that doesn’t add up for me.

I agree that if BM is responsible, it probably would have been a crime of passion. How tragic. Still it’s hard to imagine being suddenly so violent to someone you have nursed/supported through recent serious illnesses. Another thing that doesn’t add up for me.
I think many of us are being influenced by the Facebook and Instagram posts and photos, and are buying what is basically being sold to us.

A beautiful smiling family, living a great life in a Colorado.

But the truth is we don’t know these people, and we don’t know what went on behind closed doors.

Regardless, it is very unusual.

My thoughts run pretty heavy on this. I know I am a new poster but they seem like they have there stuff together and pretty happy folks. Can anyone confirm that the company is a family run venture? I ask because if so I would think the M's would be communicating very frequently, and more so if she handled some scheduling. I mention this because they have probably dealt with some serious issues, so, IMO, they both know how to work things out and NOT let it hit a certain boiling point, if y'all know what I mean.

Do you know if it is possible to investigate or research the employees they had and see if any were fire fighters that maybe worked with him, or better, part time workers? I used to hire some FF's in the landscaping industry. They have a weird schedule, like 3 on/4 off or 4 on/3 off, these guys were full time FF, not volunteer tho. Does the fire department he volunteers at have any full time people? A landscaper in the Spring, or anytime really, will take any part time help. A firefighter is someone a little more trusting and helpful in finishing up or taking care of small jobs. I would think the part time person (if it is a family run business) would be well acquainted with SM. I could see myself giving odd jobs to them and many jobs that would be at the house, or interacting with SM. Kind of like, hey SM has been wanting these flowers planted back by the deck, I haven't had time, go ahead and get with her and get that done please. Or, can you run by the office, grab some work orders and take them to the guys with this equipment. Possibly something to think about or look into. Just a weird late night crazy thought.....
Really interesting comments. I would think hiring a fire fighter would be a boon for a company like BM’s... hearty, strong and conscientious. I have also wondered about the other construction workers in regard to the slab excavation. My guess is that many people had access to that site in the early days of May.

Last edited:
So are you saying instead of asking the neighbor that he was already talking with to make the call, he should have hung up with her and started calling friends, hoping one of them would pick up the phone and make the call? At a time when every second counts?

I can imagine the reaction to those interviews-

Neighbor: I offered to call 911 but BM said no. He would call a friend.

Good grief.
A well person/wellness check is a service provided by the police to check up on someone that you know their routine and for some reason you can not contact/ heard from. You do not have to dial 911 you can dial the non emergency number. So that rules out any excuses as to why BM did not call. Now, if the neighbor called in SM and asked or was asked if she wanted a wellness check and she agreed, that allows law enforcement to go into the house if they feel that person is in danger or incapacitated in some manner. I'll bet there was some element of surprise if LE did enter the home immediately after that call was made. Obviously by more than one party involved. That may possibly be why/how the house was locked down so quickly taking the search in an apparent different direction. moo

I have been waiting since 13 Aug 1981 for my uncle's murder to be solved. Sometimes LE doesn't share any information because they don't have any.
My condolences to you and your family, brooks
I just binge watched Genetic Detective on ABC. Genealogy has been a hobby of mine for over 30 years, so I found it very interesting. Anyway, if even a partially degraded bit of DNA exists from a perp, a master genealogist can crack a case that has been cold for decades in just a matter of hours. The wave of the future for crime solving.

Last edited:
I

IMO, he respected his neighbor’s instincts, didn’t need to call in a favor, this was an appropriate response. He knew that LE would handle it, and why waste the extra time having LE friend check it out, and then call in additional officers, time was critical.
Not "LE friend", LE non emergency number. Available in every town U.S.A.

What if SM loved Colorado when they vacationed there?
What if she was on board a few years ago when they decided to buy a place in Colorado and move there?
What if the actual move away from "home" and her Indiana friends and family created a homesickness that she couldn't snap out of? What if the reevaluation of "life" and priorities, due to her cancer battles, created a mindset incongruent with that of BM?
Maybe the stressors on BM having to wheel and deal with real estate properties and choosing to reset a new business so he would be able to financially support their lifestyle, healthcare, college expenses etc. was just too much for BM, and he figuratively "boiled over."
If we learn SM WAS the victim of a crime of passion (rage) I will not be surprised.
There is something to be said about moderation.
MOO

I

IMO, he respected his neighbor’s instincts, didn’t need to call in a favor, this was an appropriate response. He knew that LE would handle it, and why waste the extra time having LE friend check it out, and then call in additional officers, time was critical.
In addition, he might not have wanted to call in said favor on a family holiday, opting to let the guys on duty check things out.

Agreed. Also, in the TD video, BM says something to the effect of he “normally” wouldn’t go to a job site on the weekend, but he asked SM and she told him it was fine (something to that effect)

So, what was different about going to the job site early this time as opposed to other times, especially IF there had been threats towards SM?
JMO

This, actually, looks normal to me. Supposedly they were in need of money. By saying “in need” I don’t imply their financial standing, but simply, the pressure of moving to another state and establishing a business there. Sometimes in these situations you can not afford missing a good client, and it means, you have to work on weekends and holidays, too. I can imagine that any supportive wife would have said, OK.

To add to it, specifically when it comes to holidays, each family has “its own”, “important”, ones. There are families for whom “personal” holidays (the day they met, the day he proposed) might mean much more, and always be celebrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader