Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING: The Bike, revisited

Until I watched the TD video, where he drives ten miles per hour simulating SUZANNE’s bike ride from Puma Path to where he says her bike was found, and watched the former LE and Lauren Schaffer’s in the Profiling Evil video and saw their maps, I thought the bike was found closer to the Morphew home.

I think the former LE from Profiling Evil might have gotten their supposed bike recovery location from the TD video. So no idea if that location is correct. LE who are investigating SUZANNE’s disappearance haven’t said if or where a bike was found.

But in TD’s video, from Puma Path to where TD says the bike was found (via TD’s conversation with BM, so there’s that), he makes two water crossings prior to pointing out where the bike was supposedly found. The first crossing would be Fooses Creek and the second crossing would be the South Arkansas River, close to where County Road 225 intersects Hwy 50.

If true, where the bike was found also happens to be close to the area along Hwy 50 where an item purported to be SUZANNE’s was found, which prompted LE to subsequently close Hwy 50 for several hours in order to conduct a more thorough search of that area.

TD kept saying that [finding the bike close to Hwy 50] meant SUZANNE’s supposed bike ride was very short, just from her house to the highway. But, maybe she was on her way back home, and headed onto County Road 225 from wherever she’d been on her supposed bike ride.

Mind you, I don’t think SUZANNE disappeared while on a bike ride. I just didn’t like the assumption being made by TD that SUZANNE disappeared at the beginning of a ride, when it seems she could just as easily have been on her way back home. (From what I consider the phantom bike ride.) (And why do I even care what he said about the blankety-blank bike ride when I don’t believe there was one that day?!?!). Aaarrrggghhh.

IMO

Well thanks for bringing up the bike. I have not focused on the location closely but I was thinking that we are thinking it was found at Foose Creek. If it was at the South Arkansas River, that is bigger, right?
Because if the bike was intentionally staged to look like an accident, she got into the water and her body went found downstream, then I'd think that the larger one would be chosen. And IF that's what happened, I'd expect her to be found downstream.
Where was it LE had the divers searching?

Of course, the intention of staging could have been to point to an abduction. In which case it wouldn't matter. And her body could be anywhere.
Also, I don't believe for a second that she took that bike ride. Moo

MOO. When I look at this picture I see a man with flat eyes, seemingly a bit annoyed. He is “guarding” the doorway in a controlling manner. His wife is hanging back, very tentative, with a smile that doesn’t look quite genuine, but she must show it to say “everything is all right here”.
What do you see?
I see the same OldCop but that doesn't mean much. I thought GordianKnot was a guy for 4 months. ;)

thanks...... after listening to plunder and everyone there getting collectively dumber for reading the comments......i decided to register here for some actual discussion.

Welcome!

While we are a group with vastly differing viewpoints and opinions, WSers are smart and Websleuths does not cause a decrease in IQ!

In fact, collectively, I think we're the smartest forum on the internets.

TD is not the brightest tool in the shed. He started his video on 225, not even close to the house.(not sure how far it is from the house to 225 but look at the map) Then drove towards 50 where the bike was supposedly found. He claims 'less than a qtr mile' even though his video showed .4 miles. ( TD is a teacher smh) Assuming there was a bike ride, what if the rider went the other direction on 225 first, towards the dam? what if the rider went down 226 before going towards 50? the 226 road was clearly in TDs video directly behind him while he was talking.

I agree, TD could have been more careful, and helpful, in that video.

It looked like he started timing and measuring at the junction of Puma Path and County Road 225. The Morphew driveway is a little way up Puma Path, and the driveway isn’t all that long, either. But the timing and measurements mean little if those two stretches are not added on.

IMO, TD could have been a LOT more helpful if, when he edited the video, he had labeled the driveways, pullouts, water crossings, etc., that he drove by. He also could have said exactly where he was at the end, where SUZANNE’s bike was supposedly found.

Like, what distance was the supposed bike location from the intersection of 225 and Hwy 50?

I appreciate TD’s videos, but I wish he provided more concrete information in the commentary.

here is a public notice posted a few hours ago by the "mountain mail":

(BM's application for augmentation).

NOTICE:

Wow.

Buy property in Salida. Check.

Make sure utilities for said new property are in place. Check.

Hey, um, your wife SUZANNE is missing. Remember her?

How about making sure your missing wife SUZANNE is listed on national missing persons website? Get her DNA and dental records on file on said websites in case an unidentified body is found? (Last I checked, SUZANNE was on NAMUS, with the bare minimum of information. Things might have changed in the last few days.)

How about making public pleas for her to be found?

Well, exactly.

yet he did formally eliminate the property owner of the construction site in Salida that they dug up for 3 days.....

That elimination was prior to the press release in question. Three options: 1) something changed and the property owner is back in the mix, 2) inexact language used in one of the two statements, 3) outright lie by LE. IMO

The reason this is interesting is because if #2 or #3 then info. coming from LE would be known to be unreliable. (There may be another example - "personal item" vs. "personal items." I say "may" because people have interpreted that audio statement differently.) With so little info. from LE anyway, maybe it doesn't matter, though. IMO

Wow.

Buy property in Salida. Check.

Make sure utilities for said new property are in place. Check.

Hey, um, your wife SUZANNE is missing. Remember her?

How about making sure your missing wife SUZANNE is listed on national missing persons website? Get her DNA and dental records on file on said websites in case an unidentified body is found? (Last I checked, SUZANNE was on NAMUS, with the bare minimum of information. Things might have changed in the last few days.)

How about making public pleas for her to be found?

Well, exactly.
I'm wondering if Suzanne was in favor of this new project. Moo

They used ground penetrating radar, IMO. They found a shadow or a depression or an anomaly. That would be enough for a Judge, in this case. Remember, right now there's no defense attorney in the room persuading the Judge otherwise - there's just LE and perhaps a DA, who are following leads in an investigation. I think most Judges use statistics, even if people here sometimes resist doing so.

If I were a judge and a woman was missing and her husband claimed to be the last person to see her but gave two alibis and was involved in concrete pouring, a shadow or depression on the GPR would be plenty for me.

I completely agree. And I think the SW only echoes those facts - a woman is missing and her husband dug a hole. LE couldn't ignore that situation. Without anything further, though, I'd call the reaction due diligence. Accordingly, there is a far distance from what is necessary to get the SW to saying that LE was only digging because they had such great evidence on BLM and have homed in on BLM since the beginning. Again, that may be true but this search doesn't argue that way. All IMO.

To be clear, I"m not arguing with you, @10ofRods , or attributing any comments to you beyond what I've quoted here. Hopefully that is clear. I'm making a general argument about the strength of the probable cause used to secure the SW to dig up the concrete.

Please read the following message from Tricia:

Dear Everyone,

This will be a quick message.

We need your help as soon as possible to keep Websleuths from going dark.
COVID-19 cut our revenue drastically. We are slowly creeping back up but we are still very short.
I wish I had the money to handle myself but Websleuths is my full time job.

We have two ways to donate
CLICK HERE TO SEND USING WEBSLEUTHS PAYPAL

CLICK HERE TO GET VENMO and the user name on Venmo is Tricia-Griffith-14

Please DO NOT DONATE ONE PENNY unless you can truly afford to do so.

If you have questions please email rather that post here. My email is triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

This is urgent. Any donation is appreciated.

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
Owner Websleuths.com

In terms of the literal snapshot in time it depicts, the photo is inconsequential.

In terms of the symbolic imagery, that picture is worth a thousand words.

It ain't just the editor who should be saving it for future use.

If I were the DA, I'd be filing away that photo, too.

JMO.
GK, where can I see a copy of the photo?
Thanks in advance.

100% agree!

Still, this photo is qualitatively different from other photos posted. It’s fair to analyze how and why, IMO. And it could provide insight. It’s dramatic, if nothing else. Not everyone chooses to post such a dramatic photo, which, btw, would probably be a lot less dramatic if in color rather than b/w.

Maybe it was someone’s assignment for photography class?

MOO

I think it's a terrific photograph. It's not static. In draws you in to create your own narrative, irrespective of what is really happening. It reminds me of the art of Alex Colville where there is always a sense of foreboding that makes you wonder what happens in the next frame.

I think it's a terrific photograph. It's not static. In draws you in to create your own narrative, irrespective of what is really happening. It reminds me of the art of Alex Colville where there is always a sense of foreboding that makes you wonder what happens in the next frame.

If-the big if-BM did this, the photo is perfect to publish with the headline. A professional photographer would be thrilled to capture the narrative so perfectly.

Last edited:
Speaking out or Keeping Mum. Double Standard?
"Oh, that's right" = because LE supposedly told everyone to be quiet? Why is it so honorable that her kids, her brother, her nephew, her friends ... basically everyone that ever knew SM are turning away media attention but its sinister that her husband is doing so? That judgment strikes me as an odd double standard. IMO
@RumorMonger :) Good question. I believe some here would respond, not a double standard, b'cos:
--- If BM was 100% not guilty of causing SM injury/death, and if he does not know what happened to her, that he would make public appeals (more than one) for her return, participate w LE in pressers, try to get MSM to publicize, & ask ppl who may have sited her to contact LE, etc. IOW, act like stereotype of loving spouse of MisPers. And since BM has taken only few of those actions, he likely caused or particpated in her disappearance/injury/death (^ a theory, not stating as fact). my2cts.
--- If SM's friends & family believe she was not just a MisPers, but had been killed, and it was at BM's hand and that LE advised/requested/begged them ~ Do not to comment publicly or privately, or soc media or MSM about BM or disparage him or name as a PoI/suspect, then their silence will help LE's investigation and ultimately help convict SM's attcker or killer. my 2 cts.
Also speculating (just me) even if LE advised F's & F ~ Pls do not talk, etc, as we're closing in on a suspect other than BM, that Fs' & Fs' silence could still still help LE & eventual conviction.

Or someone else may have a different explanation.

Last edited:
IMO the motel room photo is irrelevant.

What is relevant is this statement, released July 9, 2020 by the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office.

“This case remains very active, as more than a dozen investigators are aggressively working this case on a daily basis,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “And until we determine what happened to Suzanne, we can’t discount any scenario or formally eliminate anyone from suspicion.”
I'd like to think that part of the investigation would be looking at any available pictures and perhaps getting some perspective about them during interviews. The pictures do tell a story so maybe trying to understand that story would help. So while what members here think of the pictures is irrelevant hopefully they are not irrelevant to investigators..MOO.

I agree. It’s more of an artistic portrait than the typical family photo.

If nothing else, it shows that SM has good taste in photography, and that she appreciates a little drama and edge in her life. And I’d be shocked if she didn’t find BM very attractive in that photo and moment.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member