Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It’s an interesting photo that I am reading nothing into (kinda creepy and I never would have said “that’s a really good photo”). I just wonder if the media is holding the photo back-

If I were an editor, I would save that photo for a big story on the arrest. Make it front and center.

In terms of the literal snapshot in time it depicts, the photo is inconsequential.

In terms of the symbolic imagery, that picture is worth a thousand words.

It ain't just the editor who should be saving it for future use.

If I were the DA, I'd be filing away that photo, too.

JMO.

Last edited:
In terms of the literal snapshot in time it depicts, the photo is inconsequential.

In terms of the symbolic imagery, that picture is worth a thousand words.

It ain't just the editor who should be filing it away for future use.

If I were the DA, I'd be saving that photo, too.

JMO.
I don’t think a judge would allow a jury to see that photo.
JMO

I understand what you're saying. How can it not be a fact to say that "not all abusers kill"? You don't have to research each individual/all because it proves itself as fact if only one abuser doesn't kill anyone.

Facts in my world are established empirically. You have a valid generalization. In other words, what I would call a truism and not an empirical fact.

All abusers harm people, which is the more important thing to say.

And how about, "All abusers have bad intent" and "Abusers are capable of killing."

From my POV, "abusers justifiably deserve suspicion" is a much more important statement, rather than the statement that exonerates some abusers. Not a fan of making statements that can help an abuser look better. They're all capable of killing, IMO, which is the main problem with abuse (and yes, I do believe that financial abusers can become killers, also sexual and physical abusers - all of them are capable of killing to a much higher degree than a non-abusive person).

Surely you'd agree. If we're going to enter this bewildering world of using generalizations as facts, we can continue in this vein for quite some time.

Is being super controlling a form of abuse? I think it is, definitely. No question. But I'm an abuse survivor. All abuse survivors have a different view of abuse than those who have not survived it. (To me, that's another generalization - but we can never know for sure).

I like facts to be empirical and indisputable.

BBM
I find this odd that BM would threaten someone, under the circumstances. Why would he say anything that smacks of him thinking about violence against someone? That just gives a window into his thought process. Unless, I guess, he meant it legally. He could go after him legally.
moo

Colorado is a one party consent state, so BM needs to brush up on local law if that's how he meant it.

SBM
What would constitute a good reason? I'm genuinely asking.

They used ground penetrating radar, IMO. They found a shadow or a depression or an anomaly. That would be enough for a Judge, in this case. Remember, right now there's no defense attorney in the room persuading the Judge otherwise - there's just LE and perhaps a DA, who are following leads in an investigation. I think most Judges use statistics, even if people here sometimes resist doing so.

If I were a judge and a woman was missing and her husband claimed to be the last person to see her but gave two alibis and was involved in concrete pouring, a shadow or depression on the GPR would be plenty for me.

I seriously doubt that is true. There was a mandatory 14 day quarantine for any one entering the state from any location. While that was relatively easy to circumvent by automobile, it would have been impossible by commercial air and very, very doubtful by private plane. It certainly would have raised eyebrows in the condensed community of Chaffee county. IMO

Can't they quarantine at a relative's house though? Do they have to physically be inside the quarantine residence? Is there enforcement? Truly curious.

In New York, a person can go to a residence to quarantine, is my understanding.

How about an AirBnB? There's one at the edge of the search area.

There was one new thing in this PE video...unless maybe I missed it before but which one of her brother’s came to CO to help search for Suzanne? Also on the map they used in this video is that the correct location of where the bike was found? TIA

Yes, I saw the map, but I had seen a Google Earth map - based on where BM was the day of TD video. As far as the brother I, personally, did not find it to be of substance if he wasn't talking. But that's just me. More importantly, I like that it keeps her case in front of the public. I also saw the latest Draper video today and it had even less of substance regarding the facts of the case or the family, but again it helps Suzanne's case maintain a high profile.

to me it did not look the the correct location based on the TD video

WARNING: The Bike, revisited

Until I watched the TD video, where he drives ten miles per hour simulating SUZANNE’s bike ride from Puma Path to where he says her bike was found, and watched the former LE and Lauren Schaffer’s in the Profiling Evil video and saw their maps, I thought the bike was found closer to the Morphew home.

I think the former LE from Profiling Evil might have gotten their supposed bike recovery location from the TD video. So no idea if that location is correct. LE who are investigating SUZANNE’s disappearance haven’t said if or where a bike was found.

But in TD’s video, from Puma Path to where TD says the bike was found (via TD’s conversation with BM, so there’s that), he makes two water crossings prior to pointing out where the bike was supposedly found. The first crossing would be Fooses Creek and the second crossing would be the South Arkansas River, close to where County Road 225 intersects Hwy 50.

If true, where the bike was found also happens to be close to the area along Hwy 50 where an item purported to be SUZANNE’s was found, which prompted LE to subsequently close Hwy 50 for several hours in order to conduct a more thorough search of that area.

TD kept saying that [finding the bike close to Hwy 50] meant SUZANNE’s supposed bike ride was very short, just from her house to the highway. But, maybe she was on her way back home, and headed onto County Road 225 from wherever she’d been on her supposed bike ride.

Mind you, I don’t think SUZANNE disappeared while on a bike ride. I just didn’t like the assumption being made by TD that SUZANNE disappeared at the beginning of a ride, when it seems she could just as easily have been on her way back home. (From what I consider the phantom bike ride.) (And why do I even care what he said about the blankety-blank bike ride when I don’t believe there was one that day?!?!). Aaarrrggghhh.

IMO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

To me, this picture tells the real story.

Yep, it says, "This is *my* woman, *my* possession, I own her, dontcha know?"

IMO. "Oh Suzanne..." sounds like "Why did you do this?" or at least implies dismay/disapproval toward Suzanne (who, of course, is the victim here).

My abusive ex used to say, afterwards, "You knew this about me when you married me," (not entirely true) and "You'll never leave."

Many of us don't get out alive, of course.

WARNING: The Bike, revisited

Until I watched the TD video, where he drives ten miles per hour simulating SUZANNE’s bike ride from Puma Path to where he says her bike was found, and watched the former LE and Lauren Schaffer’s in the Profiling Evil video and saw their maps, I thought the bike was found closer to the Morphew home.

I think the former LE from Profiling Evil might have gotten their supposed bike recovery location from the TD video. So no idea if that location is correct. LE who are investigating SUZANNE’s disappearance haven’t said if or where a bike was found.

But in TD’s video, from Puma Path to where TD says the bike was found (via TD’s conversation with BM, so there’s that), he makes two water crossings prior to pointing out where the bike was supposedly found. The first crossing would be Fooses Creek and the second crossing would be the South Arkansas River, close to where County Road 225 intersects Hwy 50.

If true, where the bike was found also happens to be close to the area along Hwy 50 where an item purported to be SUZANNE’s was found, which prompted LE to subsequently close Hwy 50 for several hours in order to conduct a more thorough search of that area.

TD kept saying that [finding the bike close to Hwy 50] meant SUZANNE’s supposed bike ride was very short, just from her house to the highway. But, maybe she was on her way back home, and headed onto County Road 225 from wherever she’d been on her supposed bike ride.

Mind you, I don’t think SUZANNE disappeared while on a bike ride. I just didn’t like the assumption being made by TD that SUZANNE disappeared at the beginning of a ride, when it seems she could just as easily have been on her way back home. (From what I consider the phantom bike ride.) (And why do I even care what he said about the blankety-blank bike ride when I don’t believe there was one that day?!?!). Aaarrrggghhh.

IMO

TD is not the brightest tool in the shed. He started his video on 225, not even close to the house.(not sure how far it is from the house to 225 but look at the map) Then drove towards 50 where the bike was supposedly found. He claims 'less than a qtr mile' even though his video showed .4 miles. ( TD is a teacher smh) Assuming there was a bike ride, what if the rider went the other direction on 225 first, towards the dam? what if the rider went down 226 before going towards 50? the 226 road was clearly in TDs video directly behind him while he was talking.

One thing which hasn't been talked about in the photo is that it appears both of them opened the door. When I have been in a hotel room with my spouse, one or the other answers the door.....not both of us? Not that it is significant, but I do find BM's expression interesting. They appear to be "the perfect family" yet many of us know looks are very deceiving!

I am tending to believe this is one of their girls taking the picture and Dad is getting fed up with their shenannigan's?
They definitely have on some type of bracelets, but Suzanne looks to be dressed in a pretty black dress.
I wonder if they could have had back stage passes to a concert or something?

Their family pictures look like they travel a lot and have a lot of fun! Beautiful family.

thanks...... after listening to plunder and everyone there getting collectively dumber for reading the comments......i decided to register here for some actual discussion.
So true! LOL. I was just thinking about how much I appreciate Websleuths. Intelligent, observant, experienced folks. And the strict TOS rules keep us from wasting our time on rumors. Welcome!

I agree it would be an unsuccessful defense strategy here.

What first came to mind we’re the songs: Dixie Chicks Goodbye Earl and Carrie Underwood Church Bells. The movie that came to mind is Sleeping With the Enemy.

But the obvious thing that these fictional stories—and the true crime stories—have in common is that the abused person who kills their abuser is female.

I didn’t pick up on control in the Peterson case. Boundaries, maybe, if the online material and messages being discovered prompted a confrontation that led to Kathleen’s death. I actually see Michael Peterson as the typical controlling man who kills. When the women (Kathleen and Elizabeth) exerted some boundaries, he responded with rage.

I wonder if that’s what happened here.

MOO

Oh, I agree - and I didn't mean to imply that Kathleen was super controlling, only that Michael saw her that way. It's possible for two controlling people to be in a relationship, in which case there are frequent conflicts and one usually dominants the other, sometimes they take turns.

It's so hard to know how someone like Michael sees himself, but in my view, he thinks he's pretty swell.

My gut instinct about Suzanne's case is that she was in danger if she did indeed assert herself. I also believe the daughters *may* be in the same danger.

There are two levels to this - what we see from the outside and what we can imagine the participants to have seen and felt. Michael Peterson had a secret life, Kathleen may have done everything possible to find out about it and been consistent in those attempts (we don't know, but a lot of wives would want to know what escapades their husband might be up to, if they suspected shenanigans). For the husband, that can feel like "control."

Indeed one reason that pregnant women are more at risk of abuse and murder is that the abuser/murderer is furious at the level of "control" that comes with a new life being produced. Everyone and their brother is on the mother's side, everyone knows that mothers are not to be abused, especially while pregnant, ordinary methods of control within the household are disrupted by the pregnancy - and then, of course, by a newborn.

Along with pregnancy and a new baby, the time when a woman exerts control over her life (which is almost invariably interpreted by the abuser as a personal attack or worse) is probably the most vulnerable time. In any given semester, I will have 2-5 women in my classes who are attempting to leave/get an education/get a good enough job to leave - their stories are excruciating. And, more rarely, there will be a young man in the same situation - but so far it's only been regarding a wife in one case, all the other times, it was conflict with father.

Can't they quarantine at a relative's house though? Do they have to physically be inside the quarantine residence? Is there enforcement? Truly curious.

In New York, a person can go to a residence to quarantine, is my understanding.

How about an AirBnB? There's one at the edge of the search area.

CCSO did not release the residence until all of the searches of that area were concluded. Likewise, Chaffee county did not allow hotels, motels and other related businesses to reopen until later.
Anything is possible, but I have serious doubts that it happened. IMO

May 20, 2020 Press Release Suzanne Morphew missing person case - Chaffee County Sheriff

Home of missing Chaffee County woman released back to family

County eyes hotel, motel reopening later this month

I'm going to speculate here (inspired by @MassGuy's post). It's mostly about what I imagine LE is doing and finding.

BM's alibi completely fell apart and did so in phases, which ended up including digital footprint from his truck as well as from his phone. BM's phone shows lots of phone calls to all kinds of people, but some of them have pricked up LE's ears and both those people and their neighbors have received a visit from LE, just to chat. BM's phone records over the past year also show some changes in behavior toward Suzanne. Suzanne's private SM also shows some messages and concerns. Some of these may be quite specific.

BM's friends in Salida are no longer standing by so staunchly. Some have said concerning things to LE.

BM never had a successful landscaping business in Colorado and isn't rich. LE now knows this.

BM visited several places near Monarch Pass in the days leading up to May 10. He did go to Denver, but to no place in particular and not to a job site.

No one has seen or talked to Suzanne - first they believed from May 8 onward, now it's May 9. So they're closing in on a date of homicide.

BM's social media is still being mined. Some of his friends and acquaintances have voluntarily given LE access to some of it. Google analytics shows interesting patterns in BM's movements, including some times when he left his phone at home.

Nephew and spouse have talked to LE more than once, and are now grieving and off SM altogether (at least insofar as this case is concerned).

I do also wonder if LE hit the jackpot in the form of Suzanne's private online conversations. Suzanne may have been part of support groups or even had an online counselor. Suzanne's medical records may show some pertinent facts.

None of this is quite enough for an arrest warrant.

But there's someone whose testimony could make an arrest possible and that someone may already be talking, or may talk soon.
--------

Anyway, that's my "BM" speculation. It's really hard to get very far with "stranger abduction" speculation, given the known facts. Suzanne-as-suicide is easier to imagine than stranger abduction, but for some reason, LE is convinced that didn't happen. I know when we finally learn what LE has right now, we'll all be surprised - as it's usually something rather small and unexpected that is the first clue as to foul play.

Surely we all agree this is a case involving foul play.

Well, SM posted it, so obviously, she did not see anything wrong there. You can interpret his posture in many different ways.

But the expression of his eyes is peculiar.

Or perhaps she was glad of the picture - you should see some of the pictures I actually put into photo albums when I was in my first marriage - they do tell a story. Could I see the whole story at the time? No, but I think deep inside I was thinking maybe someone else would see it and rescue me (which is, kind of, what happened).

SM stopped posting to social media broadly not too long after that photo, which interests me. I know that if I had posted something like it, my ex would have been furious - but also would have demanded I leave it up, because taking it down would make it even more suspicious (that's how he thought, we lived in a world of secrets and contradictory edicts).

If you look on SM's LinkedIn profile, it's interesting what she was reading/thinking of reading.

TD is not the brightest tool in the shed. He started his video on 225, not even close to the house.(not sure how far it is from the house to 225 but look at the map) Then drove towards 50 where the bike was supposedly found. He claims 'less than a qtr mile' even though his video showed .4 miles. ( TD is a teacher smh) Assuming there was a bike ride, what if the rider went the other direction on 225 first, towards the dam? what if the rider went down 226 before going towards 50? the 226 road was clearly in TDs video directly behind him while he was talking.

I'm so confused! It's a short way to go and a long time to get there. (apologies to Jerry Reed) IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janeyd