Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorado is five years.
(e) An individual whose death is not established under paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection (1) or under section 15-10-106.5 who is absent for a continuous period of five years, during which he or she has not been heard from, and whose absence is not satisfactorily explained after diligent search or inquiry, is presumed to be dead.  His or her death is presumed to have occurred at the end of the period unless there is sufficient evidence, including, without limitation, a determination under section 15-10-106.5 that death occurred earlier.

Is This about maintaining wealth or garnering money from a possible life insurance policy?

Probably not about the life insurance MOO

No, we don’t! I merely speculated up thread and it has taken on a life of it’s own. :oops::rolleyes:
Curious, though.
And a valid speculation, for sure.

How long it will take for other "major decisions" to be made ?

My .02 is that based on previous actions someone might think Suzanne will not be returning home.
Or if that's a possibility that a kidnapper took her, why not invest all earnings and current $$ towards her recovery ?
It's a legitimate question.
Imo.

Last edited:
Regarding spokesperson silence: what if, early on, spokesperson gets all the info from BM, does everything he can to help, at the direction of his relative.

Then LE pays him a visit. Asks him very specific questions about what he was told, by whom, when, where, maybe LE even asks him for his cell so they can verify some stuff. Family spokesperson could be a very important witness at this point, based on information he has and whether or not he should know the things that he was told. Possible?
Agreed good points !
Because why would the family spokesperson, TN, wonder about the 'condition' of the bike ?
And who told him the Suzanne even went on a bike ride ?
This sounds so much like TN was parroting what he'd been told to say by someone else who's in control of this entire situation.
Imo.

Curious, though.

How long it will take for other major decisions to be made.
My .02 is that based on previous actions someone might think Suzanne will not be returning home.
Or if that's a possibility, why not invest all earnings and current $$ towards her recovery ?
Imo.

Grief can be paralyzingly. Joan Didion, in her memoir, The Year of Magical Thinking, described her life after the death of her husband. She was unable to go places where he had not been, because he would not be able to find her. Makes absolutely no rational sense at all, but I've felt that.
I expect grief to have some kinda impact on people and usually I have seen evidence of that in others.
BM just seems to be movin right along. Moo

I’m not a fan of “murder for hire” here.

The purpose of hiring someone to commit a murder, is to create distance between the solicitor and victim; it creates an alibi.

Hitmen don’t generally stage the crime scene (bike), or conceal the body. There is no need to do these things, as there is anonymity involved.

In fact, doing these things would potentially draw attention right back from where it was supposed to go (away from BM).

I continue to believe this was a crime committed by one man, who potentially (I think less than probable) had help after the fact.

@MassGuy, hiring is a “reasonable”, for the lack of a better word, way, if the hired person is not local and plans to return to his place of living. Far away. He organizes, there is no visible connection between him and you, and if you don’t know the details, less lying for you.
On the flip side, someone knows about it and there is a chance of blackmail.
Anyhow, it is always a possibility not to be overlooked.

Curious, though.

How long it will take for other major decisions to be made.
Or if that's a possibility, why not invest all earnings and current $$ towards her recovery ?
Imo.
Agree! BM is not looking for SM’s recovery. Far from it! $$$ flying every which way EXCEPT for her recovery.

I feel it happened in the house. Even if he gets away with it, the recollection of said event will haunt him to a certain degree, but I truly believe this dude has moved on! Either that, OR he knows the the walls are closing in on him and he needs to make provision for his children which would likely include his mother.

I’ve looked at the photos of the house, I’ve watched and rewatched the drone footage of the house and nothing about it says “home.” I could not live in that house even if someone wasn’t murdered in it. I find absolutely nothing about it appealing and I’m certain his new “amore” feels the same (yes, also my speculation). Of course, he’s not going to come right out and say, “it’s time for me to move on,” because any idiot knows that’s not good optics, but I’m pretty sure, he’s moved on. Actions speak so much loader than words, don’t they??

All speculation.

Clearly it is my ignorance since so many others have mentioned viewing altercations while at work. So perhaps it is not as big of a red flag as I had originally thought. I am not quick to anger at all.. so I guess it is very foreign to me. Live and learn.
I don't know about red flags as I suppose it would depend on the fields you are working in. When I was in the Navy the fights were between junior enlisted, 18 yo to late 20's. Never did I witness it between CPO's or officers - any CO would be concerned if that happened. (Although I did witness more than my share of very intense shouting matches between officers and between CPO's.) Likewise between CPA's in an accounting firm or when I was an auditor in the Federal government as they would be fired. Friends and clients in some construction businesses, landscaping and even tree trimming/removal have related stories to me about those problems. In fact, I remember one guy who I used to see a lot in the gym came in one day with a black eye. He owned a lawn mowing/landscaping business and said he got it breaking up a fight. Different type of employee in those manual labor fields and more likely than not, the owner moves one or both to another crew and they keep on going with business.

There is a lot of truth in his statement. For those who don’t spend regular time on construction sites this may seem jarring or unreal. It’s not. As a woman who spent so many years in that environment, I could write a book on things I witnessed that outsiders would find a bit unbelievable. It’s still like the Wild West and maybe not so PC out there friends...not for the faint of heart. Physical altercations were some of the more tame expressions I came across. IME.

The BM event seemed to be a typical domino effect. When one sub gets behind schedule, it throws all the contractors’ schedules off.
I am curious about other participant, but we can’t sleuth him. I would need to know a great deal more than we know, before calling one event a history for BM.

Scheduling is an integral part of construction, some contractors will never get it right. It’s one of the reasons some companies fail, IMO.

It’s entirely possible the other participant DOES have a history of work related altercations. We just don’t know.

I also would prefer a neutral party’s account of the event, what we have is certainly biased.

The BM event seemed to be a typical domino effect. When one sub gets behind schedule, it throws all the contractors’ schedules off.
I am curious about other participant, but we can’t sleuth him. I would need to know a great deal more than we know, before calling one event a history for BM.

Scheduling is an integral part of construction, some contractors will never get it right. It’s one of the reasons some companies fail, IMO.

It’s entirely possible the other participant DOES have a history of work related altercations. We just don’t know.

I also would prefer a neutral party’s account of the event, what we have is certainly biased.
You can research it on your own if you'd like to know more about the altercation and the legal action taken. :)
ETA: I learned of it early on and I'm sure many here have researched it too.

Last edited:
I may not agree with your deductions, @MassGuy, but I think your deductions are logical and coherent. I like the framework you just mentioned.

Five of the 6 factors you describe logically militate toward a belief that Barry Morphew may be involved in Suzanne's disappearance. The only factor I disagree with you about is the sixth one: the subject's behavior.
>>> respectfully snipped by borndem to save space <<<

I agree that -- applying 5 of your 6 factors -- Barry may be involved in Suzanne's disappearance. However, I have yet to even see the search warrant probable cause affidavits, much less actual evidence linking Barry to her disappearance.
Yep -- that pesky little Probable Cause doc -- Was he that slick and sly, or is he totally innocent?
And LE logically and certainly always start from the center and then work their way out.
Is LE waiting until they've got just one more thing for that PC doc, or are they totally at sea WRT a solid subject?
SMH - Will we see an arrest anytime soon??

Is this about the guy who had petty crimes and the people in his Indiana town were making disparaging remarks about this guy. BM threw his tools in the road? Everyone knows when you have a business you cannot have someone come in and screw it up. Your reputation is on the line. I would have had a temper tantrum too! MOO

I’m not a fan of “murder for hire” here.

The purpose of hiring someone to commit a murder, is to create distance between the solicitor and victim; it creates an alibi.

Hitmen don’t generally stage the crime scene (bike), or conceal the body. There is no need to do these things, as there is anonymity involved.

In fact, doing these things would potentially draw attention right back from where it was supposed to go (away from BM).

I continue to believe this was a crime committed by one man, who potentially (I think less than probable) had help after the fact.
I'm not either. The only thing going for it is if Suzanne did disappear while BM was in Denver (and haven't heard if that alibi has been verified) and he was still involved. I'm not thinking that is a scenario, though, because if BM did anything it was likely before this trip anyway.
Murder for hire is not that common either. (Although in the Navy I crossed paths with two husbands who hired their wife's killer while they were off somewhere else and I was unknowingly providing an alibi for one of them.)

I'm not either. The only thing going for it is if Suzanne did disappear while BM was in Denver (and haven't heard if that alibi has been verified) and he was still involved. I'm not thinking that is a scenario, though, because if BM did anything it was likely before this trip anyway.
Murder for hire is not that common either. (Although in the Navy I crossed paths with two husbands who hired their wife's killer while they were off somewhere else and I was unknowingly providing an alibi for one of them.)
Heavy!

If in fact the altercation was not BM’s fault, would someone not have come to his defense to discredit the person making the accusation? Surely there were others on the job site that witnessed the altercation.

What was not a biased point of view, IMO, was the statement by his own uncle that painted BM as controlling. I have no reason to doubt that, because I cannot imagine his uncle lying about it seeing he also painted the M’s as a loving couple without any issues, notwithstanding, a controlling nature IS an issue. MOO

Have been reading the posts about people losing it at the workplace .... now if people were all speculating and insinuating that you did something to your wife and you didn't, wouldn't that cause you to completely lose it .... I mean, you'd be absolutely livid ..... wouldn't that lead you to make yourself available for an interview .... (hey, definitely pick Lauren) ..... and tell the story, the facts, I mean, I'd be furious. Seems the logical thing to do, to me anyway. Also I think I'd be outraged and angry if the media, and random people on social media were just plucking photos out of private Facebook pages and instagram accounts .... I mean, that could really put people off coming forward and speaking about SM, knowing that you might be picked apart, photos splashed everywhere, private details, people making nasty comments on your Facebook accounts, for example, when all you're dealing with is trying to find SM. MOO
PS: I worked with someone who uncharacteristically went completely beserk at work one day, threw the boss up against the wall ... they ended up with a year off on full pay and then got sacked, got big payout for their years of work and moved on to a better job!!!:confused:

If in fact the altercation was not BM’s fault, would someone not have come to his defense to discredit the person making the accusation? Surely there were others on the job site that witnessed the altercation.

What was not a biased point of view, IMO, was the statement by his own uncle that painted BM as controlling. I have no reason to doubt that, because I cannot imagine his uncle lying about it seeing he also painted the M’s as a loving couple without any issues, notwithstanding, a controlling nature IS an issue. MOO
The man, who I assume cannot be named, didn't initiate an investigation. BM did and I believe it was 6 months later.
It was when the unnamed was running for mayor or something. He was surprised to find himself amid a claim.
LE did talk to the other contractors who were also involved with BM's actions that day, by the way.
Didn't work out as planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member