Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may not agree with your deductions, @MassGuy, but I think your deductions are logical and coherent. I like the framework you just mentioned.

Five of the 6 factors you describe logically militate toward a belief that Barry Morphew may be involved in Suzanne's disappearance. The only factor I disagree with you about is the sixth one: the subject's behavior.

First, I simply don't think there is a "model behavior" that every person with a missing spouse will exhibit because humans are each so different. Just as each of us is influenced by genetics & environment, so is every other person. As much as we might presume that a person may react a "certain way" when a tragedy occurs, that doesn't mean our presumption is correct.

Second, I believe that humans may change their behavior based on external factors. Today, it is axiomatic that a missing person's spouse is the first person suspected. With that knowledge in mind, why would it be surprising that some spouses choose to exercise their rights to remain silent? They may fear that investigators want to ensure a swift end to a mystery & have tunnel vision. Is it unusual behavior? Yes. Is it unreasonable behavior? Absolutely not.

I agree that -- applying 5 of your 6 factors -- Barry may be involved in Suzanne's disappearance. However, I have yet to even see the search warrant probable cause affidavits, much less actual evidence linking Barry to her disappearance.

BBM — The Behavior of those close to a victim of a crime, and what they say as well as what is not said, is all part of profiling. Law enforcement professionals understand and appreciate the importance of behavioral anomalies. These verbal and nonverbal signs of cognitions and emotions provide additional clues to what an individual is thinking and feeling beyond the content of the words being spoken. In the context of an investigation, these behavioral anomalies are called indicators.

More on the FBI profiler:
https://www.math.uci.edu/mathceo/Files/Career_presentations/FBI.pdf
Behavioral Science Unit - Wikipedia

bbm
Wow.
And other words as well.

Not saying that it's wrong for people to move on quickly.
Years ago my friend's HS principal remarried 2 weeks after his wife died in a car accident.
Of course tongues wagged but maybe he couldn't stand to be alone ?

Except Suzanne is still just 'missing'.
Wonder how long it'll take for BM to 'move on' in his personal life ??
Imo.
RBBM
Maybe he already did and that’s why we’re here?? JMO

So what was wilder than actual physical assaults? I'm trying to understand what the construction workers do that's worse than physical assault (I have several in my own family - but perhaps they're more mellow? And I've watched construction all around me for years at work - no fights so far).

Physical assault, even at its mildest form, is serious. And at the end of the continuum would be murder. So you seem to be saying that contractors and their crews have a tendency to physically attack one another and even kill?

Because in years of following crime stories, I've never heard of people being arrested regularly on construction sites (BM was actually charged for assault). I guess I'm surprised that this phenomenon is so common. At any rate, if true, it makes me even more suspicious of BM (and his crew).

I never worked at construction companies, but I can say that affairs at work, drinking at work, drugs at work and at least violent threats at work happen in white-collar environment, too. If you work there long enough, you'd see something. Either so stupid that it is comical, or scary. Humans are humans.

interesting, because BM is in the field close to “construction”. (I remember another case I follow here, where the victim’s father was killed, 2 decades ago, by one of the hired workers he “imported“ from another country).

However, if it is “for hire”, one has to look for the traces of the “hire”, cash withdrawals, maybe, from certain accounts. In general, cryptocurrency could be used for hire, but I doubt it is the case. However, this is where one gets major surprises. Traces of any cryptocurrency transactions in BM could be very interesting.
I’m not a fan of “murder for hire” here.

The purpose of hiring someone to commit a murder, is to create distance between the solicitor and victim; it creates an alibi.

Hitmen don’t generally stage the crime scene (bike), or conceal the body. There is no need to do these things, as there is anonymity involved.

In fact, doing these things would potentially draw attention right back from where it was supposed to go (away from BM).

I continue to believe this was a crime committed by one man, who potentially (I think less than probable) had help after the fact.

@Ontario Mom Thank you, I agree 100%. I read every post on Gannon Stauch case, some posts numerous times, I certainly dont remember “parts of Gannon’s body” found in separate locations. I’m curious and will be watching for an answer.

edited by me for clarity
I think they got confused because of Gannon’s jaw being sent from FL to CO to speed up forensic testing.

PS I see someone answered this already. I am running a page behind!

BBM:

It's absolutely a red flag.

Emotionally mature, balanced, responsible adults don't physically attack others in the workplace.
Ever.
Period.

If someone will go off in public at a job, I guarantee you they'll go off in the privacy of their own home.

Methinks someone has major anger management issues.

JMO.

Agreed. And I was just thinking about a bit of research and fieldwork I did a couple of years ago, regarding what happens to those incarcerated in our county jail for assault (both domestic and non-domestic). A large number of them do leave the county when they get out and literally "head for the hills." They have a hard time finding jobs in retail (etc) but can get work on various types of crews (clearing brush, cutting timber, spreading asphalt, hauling things off properties, working on road crews, etc).

They were more likely to end up moving to CA foothill communities (Madera, Mariposa, Calaveras, but also Placer and Plumas). They eventually had to work out an actual approved move, via their parole officers. In conversations with parole officers, the officers said that this was a longterm trend. Once their parole was out, they were lost to follow-up, but the overall violent crime rates in the above-named counties is higher per capita than it is in the county that they left.

Mariposa County LE tells me that it's a continuous problem and that it shows in demographics (more incoming younger men with prior records than expected). It's easy to live, literally, in the hills and mountains.

I started this work after discovering that in one of my favorite mountain counties, there were way too many convicted sex offenders for my comfort level (3 of whom were convicted of child *advertiser censored* crimes in my favorite national park).

For those of you that love tracking down stats:

How common are adult stranger abductions, in the US?

I assume the stats are on the FBI's site?
Whoa, did this question send me down a rabbit hole! There is no cut and dry data for adult stranger abductions. Possible abductions over the age of 18 are simply lumped in to the stats for "missing". So, the short answer is, nobody knows because the data has not been specifically tracked by any organization. However, for missing persons under the age of 21 and child abductions are more closely monitored.

According to the FBI's NCIC division, there were 87,500 active missing cases as of the close of 2019. Of those cases, 79% were under the age of 21. The other 21% were "adults".

This is mind boggling, and I definitely occupied my Sunday with this question...LOL

So what was wilder than actual physical assaults? I'm trying to understand what the construction workers do that's worse than physical assault (I have several in my own family - but perhaps they're more mellow? And I've watched construction all around me for years at work - no fights so far).

Physical assault, even at its mildest form, is serious. And at the end of the continuum would be murder. So you seem to be saying that contractors and their crews have a tendency to physically attack one another and even kill?

Because in years of following crime stories, I've never heard of people being arrested regularly on construction sites (BM was actually charged for assault). I guess I'm surprised that this phenomenon is so common. At any rate, if true, it makes me even more suspicious of BM (and his crew).

Wait...!!! To be clear, I never mentioned anything about killing in construction, or killing in my post.

Police reports are not uncommon at construction sites, for theft, vandalism, conflicts including assault, trespassing etc. I have been present when police were called to intervene during a physical altercation between onsite workers. It does happen. So does sabotage and nefarious acts that are reported to LE. Theft involving huge amounts of equipment, appliances and materials is not uncommon, tens of thousands of dollars and way upwards. These can be “inside jobs” with competing trades. Or outsiders. Life is every bit as ugly in some workplaces as it is in the real world. Some workplaces do not ensure a safe environment, many do not, we have a long way to go there! Happy your friends/ family construction experiences are good!

There are “wilder” more obscene and simply gross- but I’m simply hesitant to state these for possible legal reasons. I know of one that was absolutely kept from the general public for many good and legal reasons.

Honestly, if this is the worst story that has surfaced about BM in his construction career, it’s fairly mild, sadly. Remember, there was another guy who was involved that was running for public office- all types of people make poor mistakes- use bad judgment, have a very off day. I know many decent men who are in that age group that have thrown a punch or two in their lifetime/ and many who have not- neither of which are immediately thrown into the “ability to murder or not murder bucket” based on this.

I have 3 friends who have all been arrested and charged with assault. I’m not at all ashamed or embarrassed to admit this. Two men one woman. The woman completely lost it on a road crew working near her home, one guy it was a bar fight downtown, other guy road rage incident. All of these are now 20 years+ on in the past. None of them have reoffended - all were terrible lapses in judgement- others were cited also in one or two (like BM), awful, regretful circumstances- and one possibly involving hormones- These are good, decent people, who you would probably like and laugh with, that made a bad mistake. Or were going through something terrible that affected their ability to remain rational, but they are not capable of murder or anything of the like.

If everyone I knew personally and casually who had/has shown lack of control of anger and emotions was capable of murder I would never leave the freaking house. Because what about all the unknowns out there who are far worse????

ETA- my friends, arrest/ citation/ pleas etc- please don’t make this more than I’m stating- my friends aren’t the ones jailed then leaving to go live in the hills—!!!! ;)- or jailed at all!! TBC

Last edited:
BBM:

It's absolutely a red flag.

Emotionally mature, balanced, responsible adults don't physically attack others in the workplace.
Ever.
Period.

If someone will go off in public at a job, I guarantee you they'll go off in the privacy of their own home.

JMO.

Right. And in my experience in construction, it is crew specific where some crews were well mannered and disciplined, where others were managed poorly and out of control at times.

Regarding spokesperson silence: what if, early on, spokesperson gets all the info from BM, does everything he can to help, at the direction of his relative.

Then LE pays him a visit. Asks him very specific questions about what he was told, by whom, when, where, maybe LE even asks him for his cell so they can verify some stuff. Family spokesperson could be a very important witness at this point, based on information he has and whether or not he should know the things that he was told. Possible?

BBM — The Behavior of those close to a victim of a crime, and what they say as well as what is not said, is all part of profiling. Law enforcement professionals understand and appreciate the importance of behavioral anomalies. These verbal and nonverbal signs of cognitions and emotions provide additional clues to what an individual is thinking and feeling beyond the content of the words being spoken. In the context of an investigation, these behavioral anomalies are called indicators.

More on the FBI profiler:
https://www.math.uci.edu/mathceo/Files/Career_presentations/FBI.pdf
Behavioral Science Unit - Wikipedia

Problem is, we have statistically rising numbers of people who are not in touch with their emotions. I still remember how everyone discussed Burke's smile during the interview in JBR case. To me, the origin of his smile was obvious and in no way indicative of his guilt or innocence. However, such cases (people with Burke's personality) are usually not included into profiling, because they are so illogical. So I rely on profiling, but it slightly lags behind the statistics.

In fact, we as the society rely on 1) emotions and 2) our cultural expectations. (The example of a nonswearing Christian is ideal illustration). IRL, we have a high number of people who express emotions through logic, and also, a rising number of immigrants from different countries, with different cultural expectations and societal norms. (E.g., eye contact, crying or not during funerals). These facts change the true, observed, expression of emotions faster than newer statistics can be accrued.

So in the situation like BM's, prior history of violence is a heavy checkmark, period. His current affect is...don't know, let us watch.

Lack of grief or business-like behavior of BM that I think I see, to me, indicates lack of feelings towards SM. JMO. Does it increase the risk of being the assailant? Maybe, but not necessarily. Drinking or drugs, as disinhibiting factors, are a huge checkmark.

It would be nice to have a verified insider who might tell us how unusual, or typical, his behavior is. I think that maybe the whole marriage history was complicated, but out of respect to SM, BM or the girls, people are not gossiping.

Agreed. And I was just thinking about a bit of research and fieldwork I did a couple of years ago, regarding what happens to those incarcerated in our county jail for assault (both domestic and non-domestic). A large number of them do leave the county when they get out and literally "head for the hills." They have a hard time finding jobs in retail (etc) but can get work on various types of crews (clearing brush, cutting timber, spreading asphalt, hauling things off properties, working on road crews, etc).

They were more likely to end up moving to CA foothill communities (Madera, Mariposa, Calaveras, but also Placer and Plumas). They eventually had to work out an actual approved move, via their parole officers. In conversations with parole officers, the officers said that this was a longterm trend. Once their parole was out, they were lost to follow-up, but the overall violent crime rates in the above-named counties is higher per capita than it is in the county that they left.

Mariposa County LE tells me that it's a continuous problem and that it shows in demographics (more incoming younger men with prior records than expected). It's easy to live, literally, in the hills and mountains.

I started this work after discovering that in one of my favorite mountain counties, there were way too many convicted sex offenders for my comfort level (3 of whom were convicted of child *advertiser censored* crimes in my favorite national park).
Love your posts.
Interesting, that trend. Without knowing about any studies, but just human experience, I have wondered if BMs aggressive behavior and legal case made it hard for him to be seen with respect back in Indiana. Maybe he felt people looked at him differently. People started noticing other 'flaws.' He lost a few job opportunities. Maybe he also fled to the hills? Moo

Regarding spokesperson silence: what if, early on, spokesperson gets all the info from BM, does everything he can to help, at the direction of his relative.

Then LE pays him a visit. Asks him very specific questions about what he was told, by whom, when, where, maybe LE even asks him for his cell so they can verify some stuff. Family spokesperson could be a very important witness at this point, based on information he has and whether or not he should know the things that he was told. Possible?

Yes indeed, dizzy. Possible. Moo

Within the United States, we see the same pattern. Citing census data, he writes: "And within America, the states with the highest murder rates tend to be the highly religious, such as Louisiana and Alabama, but the states with the lowest murder rates tend to be the among the least religious in the country, such as Vermont and Oregon."
RSBM
Well that’s bad news for me since I live in the South in one of those “Bible Belt” states. I feel safer here than in Colorado though. :eek:

bbm
Wow.
And other words as well.

Not saying that it's wrong for people to move on quickly.
Years ago my friend's HS principal remarried 2 weeks after his wife died in a car accident.
Of course tongues wagged but maybe he couldn't stand to be alone ?

Except Suzanne is still just 'missing'.
Wonder how long it'll take for BM to 'move on' in his personal life ??
Imo.
Where is this information coming from? Do we know if he is in fact trying to sell the M Home?

:

Possible? Maybe even probable. Good shout.

Love your posts.
Interesting, that trend. Without knowing about any studies, but just human experience, I have wondered if BMs aggressive behavior and legal case made it hard for him to be seen with respect back in Indiana. Maybe he felt people looked at him differently. People started noticing other 'flaws.' He lost a few job opportunities. Maybe he also fled to the hills? Moo

I would love to see any/ all information about the lost jobs! I would like to be able to take a look and see what I can decipher from that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13