Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been clarified when BM left for Denver, was it early morning/mid-morning etc. ? I assume it was the Sunday that he left, so, he would most likely have knowledge of what SM's plans were for the day, so why would LE not be forthcoming with the information, would it still not be shared with Media/general public etc. even if they were sceptical, they did use the word 'reportedly' in relation to the bike ride, indicating they were unsure of the truthfulness of this, so would they not do the same in regards to statements made to them?

Forgive me if this has been already been discussed and confirmed, ie., could her cell phone be among the personal items found?

While we do not know, it is my personal theory that it is her cell phone or Apple Watch that was found as the item. Although there were extensive searches, what are the odds that among all that terrain a personal item of Suzanne's was found coincidentally not near where her bike was? Unless it was really obviously put by the side of the road, which I suppose could be. But I think it's more likely that they could have pinged her phone and it was still pinging and that's how they found it.

If I was law-enforcement and I believed that she had been on a bike ride and maybe injured and then lost, that's the first thing I would try to find as a way to locate her.

There are also special tracking dogs that search for electronics such as cell phones. Which is just amazing to me!

I can’t. He has not acted or spoken the way I would want or expect... no news, no pleas, no NOTHING from him, my heart convicts him ... maybe just on being a terrible husband.

In my opinion, the best person who can tell us whether or not BM is a terrible husband is the woman was married to him for 26 years, and she’s currently missing.

It would be nice to know what personal items LE found.

JMO
Im listing a few of the things that are possible.

Are there any other possibilities?
Is there anything we heard about in the news that helps us think its one of these?

*-her bicycle helmet

*-a small fanny pack waist belt or something similar of hers with a few small personal belongings like maybe her ID and a small amount of pocket money

*-her cell phone (if it was not at her house)

*-a shoe or 2

*-her wedding ring

*-some other article of clothing

*-a broken part of the bicycle

If one was to stage an abduction, what personal item would one be most likely to stage?

Touching on something said about her cancer in the last thread...
When I was 23 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Yes, people treated me differently but more than that, I changed. I was no longer the girl who cared about what people thought of me & I no longer had the time for people who’s company I no longer enjoyed & zero tolerance for bull$*it!
Going through it taught me my time is way to precious. Anyway, perhaps Suzanne was feeling the same way?
It’s possible things she would ignore or “put up with” she would no longer tolerate ?
Jmo

I wonder if the scent dogs were used to see if BM had been recently been down the trail to where the bike was found.
This is really a great “Aha!” question! Does anyone know if LE ever uses this technique to rule in or out suspects? If BM was in Denver and SM was alone on a bike ride there should not be a BM scent trail down the ravine or by the road where he could have stood and chucked the bike down the hill. His scent could possibly be ON the bike though from touching it at home in the garage or wherever it’s stored. Also once he arrived on the scene it might not work. I don’t think they would have suspected him early on enough to do it right when the bike was found and once he went to the location by himself and with TD his scent would be there. I bet he also walked down the hill to the location the bike was found when he got there that night so that would make a scent trail. It could have only worked if they did it before he got back. But taking K9s to the location of the personal item(s) to check for BM’s scent might work? Maybe that’s what caused LE to focus on him so quickly? But his scent could be ON her personal item(s) from home so can K9s discern the difference between a scent trail and just being on an item? Maybe @K9Enzo can answer that? I suppose the perpetrator could have thrown the items from a vehicle. But the K9s smelling BM’s scent is a good example of a mistake...something he probably wouldn’t think of. Perhaps there is another way LE can use this method somewhere else based on information we don’t know about. Of course it might also be used to clear him too. Just MOO & speculation.

If one was to stage an abduction, what personal item would one be most likely to stage?

The helmet, in my opinion, is the strongest prop that supports The Bike Ride narrative. Which is why I find it somewhat surprising that if that was what was found that BM did not mention it to TD in that interview. "And they found her helmet, so clearly she must be in trouble. Oops I wasn't supposed to say that."

So I think whatever was found maybe wasn't supposed to be found, hence my cell phone theory.

It would be nice to know what personal items LE found.

JMO
Im listing a few of the things that are possible.

Are there any other possibilities?
Is there anything we heard about in the news that helps us think its one of these?

*-her bicycle helmet

*-a small fanny pack waist belt or something similar of hers with a few small personal belongings like maybe her ID and a small amount of pocket money

*-her cell phone (if it was not at her house)

*-a shoe or 2

*-her wedding ring

*-some other article of clothing

*-a broken part of the bicycle

I go with the phone, primarily because - what else would have led them there? Unless someone gave them the information (which is possible). A shoe or clothing could have been placed there intentionally to find, so that is possible. A ring would be least likely in my list, if it were a placed item, hard to see and could be pocketed. Other than a phone, nothing else would have broadcast itself being there. IMO.

If a tip, could have been anything.

If placed, would have to be fairly easy to spot.

If neither of those, a phone/I watch or something that broadcasts. Phone could have been placed too.

Just thinking out loud and MOO.

The helmet, in my opinion, is the strongest prop that supports The Bike Ride narrative. Which is why I find it somewhat surprising that if that was what was found that BM did not mention it to TD in that interview. "And they found her helmet, so clearly she must be in trouble. Oops I wasn't supposed to say that."

So I think whatever was found maybe wasn't supposed to be found, hence my cell phone theory.

forgive me if I’m wrong but, wasn’t the item found at the intersection across the highway?
It’s almost like someone ran to the intersection and threw the item (I think phone also) as far across the street as they could and away from the bike. ‍♀️

Touching on something said about her cancer in the last thread...
When I was 23 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Yes, people treated me differently but more than that, I changed. I was no longer the girl who cared about what people thought of me & I no longer had the time for people who’s company I no longer enjoyed & zero tolerance for bull$*it!
Going through it taught me my time is way to precious. Anyway, perhaps Suzanne was feeling the same way?
It’s possible things she would ignore or “put up with” she would no longer tolerate ?
Jmo

Agree. I imagine that two bouts with cancer would change priorities. I've always felt that she just wanted out of her marriage, that she had outgrown BM. Moo

Checking weather / driving conditions is what I use them for.
They are also used by local agencies and CDOT (I'm assuming that is what the Colorado Dept of Transportation is called).

It's a very helpful tool during the winter when they are trying to keep the roads safe and open. It gives CDOT a good lead on where and when to deploy the plows as well as when it's time to make a call on closing roads and/or recommending chains.

MOO

Home Sale, Tax Stategy. Exclusion or Deferral of Gain?
@BuySellTrade :)
Even if M's IN home sale & CO home purchase did qualify as Section 1031 like-kind exchange (which it did not, imo, because Sec. 1031 does not apply to principal residences) that would only have deferred taxation on capital gain from IN home sale. Just deferred taxes to a future tax year.

Seem to me a better tax strategy may have been to use the exclusion of gain on sale of principal residence,* allowing married couple filing jointly to exclude up to $ 500,000 - not just defer taxes on it. And even if the gain was say, $ 600,000, they would recognize the gain, but pay taxes only on amt exceeding $500,000, i.e., pay taxes on $100,000 of $600,000 gain.
Tax-wise makes sense to me, but could be basing it on mistaken azz-umptions or misinterp's.
As always I welcome comment, clarification, correction from our professionals --- legal or tax.

....................................................................................................................
* Azz-uming the M's had a gain from IN home sale, plus a few other assumptions: owned the home for 2 of last 5 yrs; principal residence for 2 of last 5 yrs; 2 yr look-back, etc. Presumably they had not acquired or relinquished IN home in a like-kind exchange. Publication 523 (2019), Selling Your Home | Internal Revenue Service

Last edited:
Basically, we don’t know anything! Suzanne is gone, a neighbor called 911, an item was found.
We do know one big thing; who law enforcement is investigating.

In many recent cases however, we have known a hell of a lot more at this stage.

In the Stauch case, we had Letecia running her mouth, and all but telling us what happened. We also had security camera footage.

In the Berreth case, she was initially a missing person. We had video of her last known sighting, and reports of pings in another state.

Here, Barry ain’t talking, and law enforcement ain’t sharing.

I’m convinced there’s a reason for that though.

and why did he choose to go to the worksite on a sunday? especially mothers day? seems a little odd to me. especially if the site is three hours away.
Landscaping is a fairly seasonal business. Spring and Fall are the busiest times. If you have a big regular customer that needs you to be on site on Mother's Day then you will go to great lengths to keep your customer happy.

Even if it means going to a job site three hours away, on Mother's Day. If need be, the owner of the landscaping company (BM ?) will go and do the job himself. Have to keep your most lucrative clients happy.

MOO

I think this is a really important point if we want to continue down this line of sluething.

-What is the timeline of inquiries into Suzanne's whereabouts.

-Who was involved and to what extent in these inquiries.

-What/who is the source of OUR knowledge of these inquiries.

IMO

Where is this info going to come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members